Ritchey PRO-V4 MTN Clipless Pedals Pedal

1.67/5 (9 Reviews)

The Pro V4 Mountain pedals by Ritchey strike a great balance between strength and weight with a Cromoly axle and a sturdy stainless steel body making these strong and sturdy pedals.

Submitted by tfindlay a Weekend Warrior from Melbroune, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2010

Strengths:    Look bling as! Light weight, strong clip-in.

Weaknesses:    Bearings, quality.

Bottom Line:
These are crap. Theres sweet FA weight saving and the Ti is just for show and does nothing to improve the life-span or function of the pedal.

The price is also too high, you can buy 2 sets of XTR pedals for the same price and they'll last 4 times as long.

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR

Bike Setup:   Moots Cinco

Submitted by KulaRider a Cross Country Rider from Ashland, OR

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    Bearings - just confirming what others have experienced. They fall apart fast - don't even last one year. Total crap. No more Ritchey pedals for me.

Bottom Line:
Don't even think about buying these. Total waste of money.

Submitted by Old School Dave a Racer from Shelby Twp., MI

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight, small yet large riding platform

Weaknesses:    Bad seals.....Very bad

Bottom Line:
Buy these only if you like to look at your bike. My Ritchey v-3's fell apart rather quickly and I thought they may have improved on the design, so I tried the pro v-4's. After three months, I had to replace them. Never again!!! I'm just glad they held up until my new pedals arrived, then out to the curb they went.

Favorite Trail:   Potto

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   Crank Bros., Ritchey pedals and Shimano, and now XTR

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo, steel hardtail---Rocky Mountain, Team Only Vertex

Submitted by old racer jim a Cross Country Rider from San Diego County

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2008

Strengths:    Light, easy entry and exit

Weaknesses:    do not last at all, even if the lousy seals stay in place.

Bottom Line:
The worst item I have ever bought in all my years of mt. biking. The bearings siezed up and disintegrated in just under 6 months. They cannot be repaired. Ritchey will not stand behind them at all. These lousy things have been on the market for 2 or 3 years now; how they have the nerve to keep selling them is beyond me. Because Ritchey will not stand behind this product, I will never buy another Ritchey item. I urge you to also reject these pedals and buy ANY other brand. Don't throw your money away.

Purchased At:   Online-new

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Egg Beaters, Performance

Bike Setup:   Turner

Submitted by Dan Pate a Cross Country Rider from Fort Worth, TX USA

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2007

Strengths:    Light, well made, good design, smooth entry and exit feel

Weaknesses:    Bearing seals do not stay in.

Bottom Line:
I really liked these pedals. The design and function is first rate except for one blinding defect. Ritchey really blew it with the bearing seals. Every time I look down the rubber seals have come completely out and have worked their way down the axle. After the second ride the bearings are already crunchy from the grit that has filtered in. I'm sure after one ride in some mud they will be dead. I returned them. It's a real shame. Like I said I really liked these pedals. However, I can't recommend these pedals at all.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with lots of suffering

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Ritchey

Bike Setup:   All mountain

Submitted by Will a Cross Country Rider from Anchorage, AK

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2007

Strengths:    Pretty light, clips in easily, dirt isn't a problem when clipping in or out

Weaknesses:    Already lost the rubber seal out of one side. Not servicable.

Bottom Line:
While I basically like the design, I'm not expecting them to last. Within the first week one pedal lost its rubber seal. It's now week three and the pedal is starting to click. Not what I would have expected given that I don't do jumps and basically ride single track and fire roads.

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Bike Setup:   Marin East Peak, Stock

Submitted by J Bob a Weekend Warrior from St.. Louis, Mo.

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2007

Strengths:    Mud shedding design. The bearings are 'serviceable' and can be repacked. They use SPD cleats. All steel but still light weight.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I bought these to replace my 3 yr. old Ritchey V3's that were still working but showing a lot of wear. I ride over a hundred miles a week, so they had some miles on them. After reading some of the reviewer's comments, the first thing I did was check the bearing end caps. Mine came off fine with an allen wrench, no 'staking' of the threads. The outer bearings looked to have plenty of grease. No problem so far with the rubber seals, though they are a fairly loose fit. The pedals have an improvement in the adjusters over my V3 pedals, with bigger adjusting nuts pressing on the springs. The springs had popped off the nuts on my V3's a couple of times, and it looks like this can't happen on the V4's. They have plenty of tension, I have mine set up at about 1/4 setting, but that's a personal preference. Both the V3 and V4's have always been good in the mud, because it won't pack under the cleat. To service the bearings on my V3's, I had to make a tool from a 11 mm deep socket and a 9mm 1/4 in drive socket to remove and adjust the bearing cone and lock nut, because I couldn't find one anywhere. It looks like the same tool will work on the V4's. At the sale price Nashbar had, these were a great value.

Favorite Trail:   Chubb

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey model V3 pedals

Bike Setup:   Full suspension cross country

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Pullman, WA USA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2006

Strengths:    Nice open design, tiny, rugged construction, positive clip-in and easy release. Good price, too, if you find them on sale.

Weaknesses:    SPINDLES ARE STAKED after assembly to preclude servicing, bearings aren't sealed and turn roughly for lack of retainers to space the balls.

Bottom Line:
DON'T BUY THESE. They work okay, but after assembling and adjusting the pedals, Ritchey mangles the threads at the end of the spindle so you can't service the bearings. I bought 2 pair of these and all 4 spindles are staked, so it isn't accidental. Ritchey goes out of their way to destroy the value in this otherwise well-made and functional product. I guess they want to sell you a new pair whenever the bearings need repacking. Shame on them!

Purchased At:   Nashbar