Ritchey Pro V3 MTN Pedal Pedal

3.71/5 (14 Reviews)

Differing from WCS in having a cast body, with inner custom cartridge bearing and outer busing. Bearing is optimally positioned next to the crank arms. Slim, mud clearing design. SPD* compatible. Grey 370g

Submitted by Robert Snow a Weekend Warrior from Drexel Hill, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2006

Strengths:    Easy to clip in and out. Light. Attractive design

Weaknesses:    Plastic seal is fragile as noted by many. Bearing problems.

Bottom Line:
The plastic seals are too rigid and crack easily. The housing that holds the large bearings is too thin and elongates top to bottom causing slop. I bought my first pair when they were discontinued at half price - $50. Then another new pair for $25. Finally two pair on eBay for $1 each, just for the seals. My pedals have held up fine, but the eBay pedals had slop in both right pedals, not the left ones. I put the bearing housings in a vice and tightened down to remove the distortion and they spin well again, for the time being. I tend to spin and not stand on the pedals. I suspect with a large or strong rider the end housings distort as they are under a lot of stress and the metal is relatively thin.

Purchased At:   Various places

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 737, Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Trek Hardtail, Univega Suspension

Submitted by JD a Weekend Warrior from Santa Rosa,CA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2005

Weaknesses:    black plastic cap

Bottom Line:
There are some bad reviews about this product. It supposes to be better than the comp version because of the size of the bearings. The plastic black cap has a gap under, leaving space for water and dust to do their job. I filled the gap with water proof grease. I will submit another review at the end of the summer. It seems good for me so far.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2004

Strengths:    Great retention/release mechanism

Weaknesses:    Crappy bearings and dustcap

Bottom Line:
I am completely PO'ed at Ritchey. I have an old set of Comp V3s which have served me very well but are starting to wear out. I saw these on clearance at SuperGo and figured that they'd be better than the Comps for a fantastic price. Boy was I wrong. The bearing design on the Pro's is horrible. Both pedals spin fine but the bearings are totally loose and they click and pop so badly I thought my chain was falling off! When I pried the dust-cap up to try to adjest them, the dust cap broke, seriously brittle and crappy plastic on the dustcap. Of course, Ritchey doesn't make them anymore so they won't even RMA them. Grrrr.

Stay away from closeout V.3 pedals.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Lots of SPDs

Submitted by O.Z Chi from San Mateo, CA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2004

Strengths:    Price.

Weaknesses:    Bearings!

Bottom Line:
Just got these because I'm building a road bike and wanted a double entry pedal.

Bad decision.

Out of the box, the bearings feel bad. Being used to the M959s from Shimano, these pedals have very poor quality bearings in comparison.

Haven't installed them so they're a RETURN item.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Shimano PD-M959

Submitted by Phil a Cross Country Rider from Youngsville, LA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2004

Strengths:    Easy clip in/out. Sheds mud.

Weaknesses:    BEARINGS. Some rust.

Bottom Line:
I've never saw the reason to spend huge buckson pedals, especially when Welgo makes most of them and I can find them on close out pretty cheap... And the work. I studied the Shimano's and Ritchey's and determined the axle attachment/ bearings were the only real difference (asside from the price). So I opted for the Ritchey's. In the past 6 months I've had to rebuild them twice. G** forbid you get these things wet! When its freshly packed w/ grease, it works great, but I'd rather ride than work on my bike!

Purchased At:   mail order

Similar Products Used:   Anything Welgo and some Shimano.

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Isis, XT drive, XTR cranks, Dave's Wheels, Avid Mech disk, Panaracer Fire

Submitted by CrazyCarl a Cross Country Rider from Davis, CA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2004

Strengths:    Good Float, No problem in mud

Weaknesses:    BEARINGS!!

Bottom Line:
I had to post a review to knock these things down a little. I bought my first pair about 2 years ago, and after a few months, the pedals starting making a popping/clicking sound and feeling when pedaling hard. It seems to be that the bearing cartridges are shifting around inside - and the spindle is loose. Well, I thought it was just a fluke, so I bought ANOTHER pair about 3 months ago, and they are doing the same thing! Apparently they are serviceable by a knowledgable person with the right tools, but who wants to pay someone to service some $50 pedals?? My old Icons went for about 5 years without a hitch... These are damn cheap, though.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Icon

Submitted by Rick a Weekend Warrior from Upstate New York

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2004

Strengths:    Very easy to clip in/out. Great mud clearing, not a problem yet.

Weaknesses:    I can't find one yet.

Bottom Line:
I thought my Shimano M520's were nice. These have them beat. Clip in and out seems easier to me with the Ritchey V3's.

Favorite Trail:   Newark Valley

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M520 SPD

Bike Setup:   Older stock Cannondale M series with Rock Shoks.

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from Carrboro, NC

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2004

Strengths:    Solid. Don't collect mud at all.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
These are the best. They don't collect mud - I've never, ever, ever had problems clipping in and out with these guys, no matter what the conditions. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   A range of SPDs.

Bike Setup:   Kona NuNu

Submitted by Cad a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2004

Strengths:    Easy in and out. Keeps real clean when riding, no mud, debris.

Weaknesses:    I wouldn't say it has any yet!

Bottom Line:
Great product, unbelievable price! Licensed from shimano nonetheless! Got it on sale for only 50 bucks (99 retail). I am very happy with the Ritcheys. Easy in/out. No mud or debris gets stuck. Very pleased.

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar Website

Similar Products Used:   Shimmys', Welgos

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500

Submitted by tookie a Cross Country Rider from atlanta

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2003

Strengths:    MUDD CLEARANCE, easy in/out, smooth bearings, cheap.

Weaknesses:    finish rubs off easy (who cares), cheap plastic seal

Bottom Line:
had been using the shimano m515 and once those things got in mud it was near impossible to get out of them. this has been a real wet summer on the east coast so i needed something that could shed mud and these do the trick. just did a race yesterday full of mud and had no trouble at all; didn't even have to think about the pedals, and that's what i'm looking for.

i got the model w/ the black finish and after the first ride the finish is showing wear, but who cares, they work great. Very easy in/out, very positive engagement. Nice oversized cartridge bearings that run smooth, but the cheap plastic seal on the inboard bearing worries me--not sure it'll keep much crud out, but time will tell. will repost if problems arise. but for now, i'm real pleased.

great price from perf. $69. plus, they let me return those crumby shimanos after i had used them for a good 6 months. nice.

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   shimano m515

Submitted by Dude a Weekend Warrior from Arkansas

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2003

Strengths:    great price from nashbar, cool bearing assembly close to the crank, sealed bearings are super smooth, entry/exit super easy and very intuitive

Weaknesses:    looks like the teflon type coating is already starting to flake off, but these are so easy to get in/out of I don't think the coating will be critical

Bottom Line:
these are a huge improvement over the bontrager re1 pedals.atleast 25 times easier to get in and out of...for me coming from the re1 pedals it seems I am in these pedals before even realizing it...and I am out before I even realize it.........which is very cool...I don't really have to think about it anymore....it just happens......with the re1 there was an annoying creaking sound that is all gone with these pedals......so far I am very happy....will see how they do for the long term.....if any problems I will post back..

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   bontrager re1

Bike Setup:   full suspension

Submitted by Rod Munch a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa, CA

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2003

Strengths:    Standard SPD/Wellgo strengths: easy clip in, instant relase when you want it, good adjustability, strong. For these specifically- excellent bearings for pedals, strong jaws.

Weaknesses:    Not any lighter (heavier?) than the V1 & V2 and many other SPD/Wellgoes. Weak plastic seal at outboard bearings, one was crushed at factory when I opened box. Quick delivery of a new seal from Ritchey (& stickers - thanx!) but seal still looks flimsy to me. We'll see. Steel spacer creates gap btwn. seal/bearing and crank arm, looks like place for dirt & water to intrude. More "slippery" to clip in than others. I spent a lot of time slipping my cleats right over the tops of the pedals until I got used to them- jaws aren't surrounded by alumnum cage.

Bottom Line:
Great bearings, mimick XTR for half price, look snazzy. But more expensive and heavier than cheaper V1's & other Wellgo clones.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Name it in the SPD world. Ritchey V1 & 2's, lots of Wellgo 800's, Scott, K2, roadies...

Bike Setup:   '99 K2 Razorback, Mars Comp Coil, XT/LX/Avid

Submitted by Gak a Cross Country Rider from Sunnyvale, CA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2003

Strengths:    Easy in, easy out. No learning curve at all if you are coming from SPD. Great mud performance, does not clog. Shimano cleat compatible.

Weaknesses:    Minor : V3 Pro Cannot use 15mm wrench for installation & removal. Uses 10mm Allen

Bottom Line:
Has the same jaw design as the 959. I feel that it is 90% of 959's performance but at 2/3 the price.

I was tempted to get the Eggbeaters for better mud performance but I am glad I waited. The V3 has the mud clearing performance and I really like the fact that it is fully compatible with SH-51 cleats.

I have been riding SPD for 7 years and I like the fact that there is no learning curve for me to go from SPD to the V3 Pro.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs Pt, SDF