Ritchey COMP-V4 MTN Clipless Pedal Pedal

2.75/5 (8 Reviews)

The Comp V4 pedals by Ritchey are strong and stable clipless pedals that offer adjustable spring tension and 5 degrees of float to keep your feet secure while still letting you get out when needed.

Submitted by mblock a Racer from Central Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2010

Strengths:    Low cost (used to be). SPD cleat systems just work well. Seems to shed mud okay too. A good 100+ grams lighter than comparable priced shimano.

Weaknesses:    Spring tension seems a little weak. Backside spindle seal won't stay put without help

Bottom Line:
I got these dirt cheap through eBay to use on my cyclocross bike. Had been running egg beaters but struggled clipping in quick enough during CX races. They have seen their fair share of mud and abuse in cross races and seem to be holding up okay so far. The backside spindle seal is a problem Ritchey needs to fix. I was able to keep it in place by wrapping a thin layer of electrical tape around the spindle up tight to the seal. Problem solved....and when I want to service the pedals I just peal or cut the tape off, pull the rubber seal back, pop off the outer end cap and you can flush the bearings out and repack with grease. Then just wrap some fresh tape around the spindle and your good to go. I give em' 5 flamin turds for value (although I think they are more expensive now??) and 3 turds overall.

Favorite Trail:   Nine Mile trails

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Egg Beaters

Bike Setup:   Running them on my CX bike but I also run Ritchey Pro V4's on my MTB.

Submitted by Robert a Cross Country Rider from oak hill,Florida

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2009

Strengths:    Light,good crud shedding,inexpensive at the time I purchased them.

Weaknesses:    Poor sealing,needs frequent repacking and prep before use.

Bottom Line:
Without pre-packing these pedals full of grease,they are only good for about a month before they are completely destroyed,I pulled the spindle cover cap off and packed them completely full of grease,and put an O-ring behind the seal to keep it on,and they have been working fine for two years.The price they are getting for them now,compared to when I bought them,warrants fixing the issues these pedals have by ritchey,not me.The price they get for them now is way too high for a pedal that will be junk in a few weeks,like these will be if not prepared correctly.
Good thing I absolutely love everything else,or I would throw them into a canal.

Favorite Trail:   Emma Carlin,Kettle morraine st,forest,Wisconsin

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD

Bike Setup:   Giant VT-1 18.5 stock shock,Mid Ego fork,Halo SAS rims on diatech hubs,grimeca system 8 hydro-discs,SRAM X-7 shifters and R-Der,Shimano F-Der (the only thing that fits this odd frame......

Submitted by Digi a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2009

Strengths:    Good mud shedding.
Light

Weaknesses:    Bearing seal slides out.
Rusted.

Bottom Line:
These pedals are relatively light for the $ but mine have become rusted. They still function but look real ugly. I see the Shimanos at the same price that dont rust and wish I would have gotten those.

Also, the innner seal on the spindle of both pedals slide out over time, allowing dirt and moisture to gain entry to the bearings. Pretty lame if you ask me.

Submitted by Couchchangeracing a Weekend Warrior from Chino Hills, Ca.

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap, good float, light, shed crud well, no issues.

Weaknesses:    Inner seals???

Bottom Line:
I bought my first pair of these when they were on sale at Performance bike. They were too cheap to pass up. I liked them sooo much I decided to buy a pair for my other bikes. I ride 2 to 3 times a week. I split my time between dirt and road. I keep my bikes lubed and clean for the most part. I have not had any problems with them as of yet. The oldest pair is 2 years old with about 1,500 miles the other pairs are less than that in time and miles. I have had no problems as of yet. Once in a great while the seals work their way out of the inside of the pedal. That is the biggest issue I have had. They are great pedals. Maybe I just go lucky.

Favorite Trail:   Whiting Ranch

Purchased At:   Ebay and Performance

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 520's and XT's

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight and two other recreational bikes a Gary Fisher Triton and Redline 29 er'

Submitted by sbarner a Cross Country Rider from Bolton, Vermont, USA

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2008

Strengths:    Open design, inexpensive, light for materials used. Great pedals to put on a bike that you are going to sell to someone you expect to replace them with something decent.

Weaknesses:    Bearings noisy, not serviceable, sealing design ineffective.

Bottom Line:
These pedals are of decent quality, but they will not last under aggressive use and are not serviceable. The bearings spin easily, but are noisy and the inner bearing seal is of unacceptably poor design. It not only suffers from poor sealing, but it can easily walk away from the pedal body on the cylindrical shaft, exposing the bearings do dirt and moisture. If you pay the retail price of $90, you have a right to feel ripped off. If you get them for $25, you could have done better with a pair of generic Nashbar cheapos, or saved your money to get a pair of decent pedals. If you ride enough, you'll likely go through enough of these that you could afford to buy a decent set of pedals.

Shame on Ritchey for marketing these pieces of junk.

Favorite Trail:   Mill Loop

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Nashbar, older Ritchey pedals.

Bike Setup:   These are now on a road bike, as they are useless on an off-road mountain bike.

Submitted by tcrusher a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, WA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2008

Strengths:    Works as advertised. Attractive. Low profile. Easy entry and exit. Holds up to numerous rock smacks and other light abuse. Bearings spin smoothly.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Used these pedals for a little over 1 year, maybe 500 miles. Haven't experienced the same types of problems reported from other reviewers. I usually do 10 to 25 mile singletrack rides with moderate root and rock drops and rock gardens. I've smacked them on rocks pretty good and so far they've worked fine. Maybe I got one of the good quality pairs from the factory. I'll update this review if things change in the near future. 5 Flamin Chilis for value due to getting these on sale.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Early 90's Ritchey SPD's, Shimano and Campy SPD's, Specialized Platforms

Bike Setup:   Salsa hardtail

Submitted by tomask a Cross Country Rider from Canberra

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2008

Strengths:    Light and good looking

Weaknesses:    Terrible bearing/spindle retention design

Bottom Line:
I agree with Mister Ultra. I paid a fortune for these pedals expecting a correspondingly long life for the type of riding I do (outback epics, marathon races). Used these for one 110km race, a four day mountain epic and a few day rides. Commuting to work one day and the left pedal body ripped straight off the axle, dumping all of the tiny little (loose) bearings on the fire road; totally unrebuildable of course. Would some kind of circlip on the end of the bearing race have added that much weight really? I think not and it would have made these pedals fantastic instead of useless.

Purchased At:   $160