Performance Forte Stomp Pedal

• Smooth spinning seal bearing
  • Material: Aluminum body/ Chromoly spindle

Submitted by Todd Hutchings a Weekend Warrior from Columbus, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2008

Strengths:    Strong and light. Great Grip when wet and muddy.

Weaknesses:    The little pegs tend to get lost.

Bottom Line:
These pedals offer a great value for the dollar. I original started with the Mallet C's because I wanted the opportunity to clip in, but the Mallets were so slippery when no clipped in they were almost dangerous. I needed something cheap, light, and I needed it fast and the Stomps fit the bill. No regrets with these pedals, just wish the pegs stayed in longer!

Favorite Trail:   Flat Rock Park

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Crank Brothers Mallet C

Bike Setup:   Intense 6.6 built built for relaxed free riding

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Charlestown, WV

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2007

Strengths:    Traction/grip

Weaknesses:    Pricey

Bottom Line:
An excellent alternative to clipless pedals. They provide lots of traction and they really grip the soles of regular athletic shoes well. I really like the feel of being clipped in with clipless pedals riding cross country but for free-riding and downhill beingclipped in has its obvious disadvantages. The Forte Stomp mountain bike platform pedals offer the best of both worlds. They provide the grip and feel of clipless with the added benefit of quick release when necessary.

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD, Time Atac

Submitted by Brady a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, Co, Larmier

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2006

Strengths:    Strong, strong, strong. Comes with replacement pins.

Weaknesses:    pins come out fairly easily, pin heads where down and are hard to remove with an allen wrench.

Bottom Line:
These things are strong as hell. I've smashed the crap out of them on many a rock and even taken chunks out of some of the rocks. The pins come out and strip fairly easily but they came with a pack of replacement pins. They are very large and seem to get in the way sometimes but good value for the money. I wouldn't buy another pair but I don't regret buying these ones.

Favorite Trail:   Young Gulch

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakaar, Manitou Black, Sram X9's all around, Hayes Disc, Holzfeller Crank

Submitted by Grant Rayner from Sand Diego Area

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2006

Strengths:    Price, Grip

Weaknesses:    Too big platfrom for some, I hade one pin come out in almost 6 months, so I guess thats bad.

Bottom Line:
Great pedals. These pedals grip your shoes, and the proof is my chewed up pedals. I haven't had too much trouble with the pedals eating my shins either. These are very simple and the mud shedding is great.

The pedals were completly covered with mud and my shoes had a few inches of mud (the clay type) and the pdeals still would grip great.

These have held up great to the abuse I have put on them. I have hit a few rocks fairly hard and they still work like new. Suprisingly these arn't too heavy. Similar pedal that cost much more usually weigh more.

Overall I have really enjoyed these pedals, the onlything they don't let you do is clip in, but that is an entirly diferent animal.

Purchased At:   Performance