Performance Forte Carve Pedal

• Material: Aluminum body/Chromoly spindle
  • Adjustments: Tension

Submitted by rufio a Weekend Warrior from VA

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2011

Strengths:    Light and the price was right. They seem pretty strong. According to a sales person from Performance, these have a lifetime warranty on defects. They are SPD compatible.

Weaknesses:    Nil.

Bottom Line:
I had these installed on a hardtail and a full suspension about three years ago. I used them for a year and took them off because I got a pair of Shimano 959s of the new old stock variety. I am back on them after now that the Shimanos have called it quits. They feel solid.

Purchased At:   Performancebike.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD pedals.

Submitted by Stefan a Cross Country Rider from Boston

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2010

Strengths:    light, cheap

Weaknesses:    little details

Bottom Line:
The two small shafts fore and aft of the main shaft
came unscrewed at about 1500 km. I couldn't figure out
why my foot kept popping out. On the left foot, both shafts
had come unscrewed. There doesn't seem to be much to prevent
it, no lockwasher, etc. I like the simple clean design,
easy to put a wrench on, but I think attention to detail is
lacking.

Favorite Trail:   Post Road

Purchased At:   performance bike

Similar Products Used:   various shimano, mks pedals

Bike Setup:   road machine

Submitted by BurnNotice a Weekend Warrior from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2010

Strengths:    Well made and light; cheaper than Shimano's; ease of use; easy to engage and disengage.

Weaknesses:    None really that I have seen.

Bottom Line:
These pedals are half of Shimano's prices and work just as good. Easy to engage and disengage. Very tough on hard terrain. I have to admit, I have replaced them with Crank Brothers Candy Acid 2's because I wanted to color co-ordinate my bike. They worked fine and I am keeping them if the CB's fail to perform. Really no reason to replace them other than like I said...........wanted to add color to the bike.....it's a sickness!

Favorite Trail:   Bent Creek area

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   2009 Felt Q720 hardtail; stock except for the 2010 Marzocchi Bomber 44TST2 air fork; Crank Brothers Acid 2 pedals; Crank Brothers split QR skewers; Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1" tires.

Submitted by dc75nm a Racer from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought these based on the good reviews I've seen. I love these pedals. Their performance is equal to all the many different model shimano SPDs I've used in the past. I can't tell the difference. However, the price for these guys is incredible. Go get yourself a pair and be impressed.

This component is not a "beginners pedal". Whatever that means. Just because it doesn't cost an arm an a leg doesn't mean it's no good and can't be used by serious cyclists and for that matter, beginners alike.

Submitted by Brady07 a Cross Country Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2010

Strengths:    Price, Weight, Durability, Price (value makes it worthy of a second mention)

Weaknesses:    Do not shed mud as well as I would like; Cleats that came with mine did not fit, but my old shimano cleats did.

Bottom Line:
Big bang for the buck. I bought these to replace my XT pedals that someone helped themselves to. Lacking the coin to invest in a pricier line, I bought these to get me through a weekend. They felt a little flimsy and I thought they would give out pretty quick. Wrong assumption on my part.

I have ground these against rocks and roots more than anyone should. And they keep hanging in there. My only complaint are that they do not shed mud quite as quick as I would like. Also, the cleats that came with the pedals would not lock in at all, but my old shimano cleats worked just fine. Go figure.

I have taken a few diggers while using these and they let me out just at the right time. The tension setup is easy to adjust, so they keep me in when I need them to as well. They also have enough lateral play to avoid knee alignment problems, which I am prone to.

They are great for general cross country and commuting.

Based on the weight, price and durability thus far, I have to give these a 5 on value. But the mud shedding issue drops them to a 4 overall.

Favorite Trail:   Weimer Ranch - Austin

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 540, Shimano 770

Bike Setup:   Scott Reflex 20, Reba Race, XT-LX drive train, Kenda Small Block 8 on stock alex wheelset

Submitted by flydog a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2009

Strengths:    Price and low weight

Bottom Line:
This is a fantastic pedal for the money and one of the lightest pedals you can buy. It has performed flawlessly and is easy to get in and out of. Great clearance for cornering and boulders.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD

Bike Setup:   Motobecane 400HT

Submitted by yellowjeep a Weekend Warrior from KS

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap, look cool. Worked just like they should for about 2 years.

Weaknesses:    I think mine may have been defective, they broke in two.

Bottom Line:
These were great pedals while they lasted. I used them for trail riding and riding back and forth from class. Nothing to stressful but quite a bit of use anyway. I was riding to class one day and dropped off a curb. My foot slipped and I heard metal hit the ground. Broke the pedal clean in 2 pieces right behind the axle. There looked to be voids in the AL casting. Anyway I still think they were good pedals, just something to think about when they are this inexpensive and have less material than say a 520 .

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   CB smarties.
Shimano SPD

Bike Setup:   Couple of different bikes.

Submitted by bank5 a Cross Country Rider from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap, Tension Adjustment, Relatively lightweight, easy to lock into

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I just bought these but have been very happy with them so far. I like them even more than my Eggbeaters which I really like but broke them twice in a year. I'm not too concerned if I break these because Performance Bike has a great return policy.

The tension adjustment is great on these. You can make it super loose which is great for beginners trying clipless. Or you can make it very tight if you're more advanced riding. I've kept it in the middle for now.

If you want a decent clipless pedal but don't want to spend a lot, I highly recommend these.

Similar Products Used:   Crank Brothers Eggbeater C

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Cobia

Submitted by sjumpr1 a Racer from westmont, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2009

Strengths:    light, clears mud well,

Weaknesses:    none so far, look as if they might shatter into a million pieces if you were to hit something.

Bottom Line:
These pedals are very light! Almost look like a skeleton of a pedal, nothing for mud to cling to. Feel strong(I'm 6'3",240#) but does lead me to wonder what will happen when I eventually hit the random boulder or log. Very easy to clip in and out, good choice for the first timer. I like the visual tension indicator. Actual noticable difference when the tension is changed one way or the other. Spin smoothly. Raced once with them so far in the muck and slush you get in March in the midwest and the biggest + is that I didn't think about them at all!

Favorite Trail:   palos