Nashbar Rodeo Pedal

2.29/5 (14 Reviews)

This is the most versatile Nashbar pedal that we offer. A standard cage on one side with a clipless design on the other. Aluminum silver body and cage with Cromoly steel axle and sealed bearings. 4 degrees of float with adjustable cleat tension. 480g. a pair.

Submitted by agarose2000 a Cross Country Rider from los angeles, ca

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2009

Strengths:    Versatile. Solid. Clips in surprisingly easily - I have no criticisms of the clip in process. I haven't had any of the "big" problems mentioned below; I wonder if they have improved the pedal since these older reviews. Pedals worked right out of the box, no modifications required, no errantly shaped parts, and no strange noises or catches on the rotation. Installed instantly. Riding on the nonclip side with normal shoes was no problem.

Weaknesses:    Clipping out works reliably, but if I had any critique of the function of this pedal, it is that you have to "kick" your feet out of the clip for it to work well on the unclip. If you just twist (a la road bike), there is probably too much give, and your foot stays clipped despite the definite twist. However, if you "kick" your foot out a bit past that twist range, it pops right out no problem.

This is a heavy product compared to the lightweight offerings out there. I would not put this on a lightweight or performance mtn bike mainly because of the weight issue. But if you don't mind the weight, and prefer convenience, it works fine.

I have not used this product long enough (<1month now) to assess durability; if anything this is my greatest concern, although thus far, the product seems solidly built and functions well.

Bottom Line:
A heavy, but functional pedal, that seems to do exactly what it was meant to, at an extremely competitive price. Clipping out takes a bit of extra motion, but works. Clipping in works great after some practice. Doesn't wow at all with performance, weight, or look, but is a great option for a mtn bike/commuter bike like mine.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Road bike Shimano Ultegra clipless pedals. Much easier to pop out of, but much less lateral play. Also costed 4x as much!

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher intro-level Mamba doubling as a commuter bike, although I ride it a lot on trails.

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Prescott, AZ

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2007

Strengths:    One side platform, the other clipless. Tough, It took me 2 years of bashing them on rocks to break a toe clip. They are great if you need to clip out and ride platforms through a rough section you might need to dab on. I can also take my bike for a spin around the neighborhood in any shoes.

Weaknesses:    Because they have clipless on only one side, it sometimes takes an extra second or two to get the pedal flipped over so you can clip in.

Bottom Line:
I love these pedals! They match my level of experience and the trails I ride. If you are just learning to ride clipped in, or like the flexibility of riding platform or clipless without changing pedals, these are for you. If you always ride clipped in, then skip 'em.

Favorite Trail:   The Whiskey

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   2004 Specialized FSR XC Pro. Velociraptors, Rodeo Pedals, otherwise stock.

Submitted by Josh a Cross Country Rider from Pocatello, ID

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2006

Strengths:    Easy to use with ATB shoes and street shoes

Weaknesses:    They do require slight modification on the clip side

Bottom Line:
Excellent pedal for the money. I have seen these on sale as low as $15. I originally bought these pedals for commuting use during college and since have also used them for trail riding. I have had them for over 2 years with no problems with the clip or bearings. These pedals do require a little modification on the clip side which was accomplished with a Dremel tool in 2 minutes. I would recommend these pedals to anyone looking for an easy solution for using both ATB and street shoes. If you are looking for a pedal for trail riding only, look for a double sided clip. As was mentioned on other reviews they do take time to get used to flipping the pedal over in order to clip since the clip causes that side to be heavier but I do not ever notice it anymore.

Bike Setup:   Fisher Big Sur, LX/XT, bontrager components

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Youngstown, Ohio

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2005

Strengths:    Platform is large, and you can ride with or without clips.Clipping out is easy, no stop sign bail outs for me.The clipping tension is adjustable.

Weaknesses:    Had to modify clip side of pedal so I could clip in, only one side has clip, bearings are so tight pedal does not spin free.You have to fumble around with them in order to find the clip side, and when you do you have to fumble around again in order to get clipped in. You almost have to look down in order to get clipped.

Bottom Line:
I would have a hard time recommending these to anyone. Although it is easy to clip out of these pedals, and they do allow for a little float the clipping in is too much of a pain. They do have adjustable tension, but finding the clips makes it not worth it.

Favorite Trail:   Down my drive turn left or right, and go.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   ?

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Tiburon S.

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Boardman, Ohio

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2005

Strengths:    I like the idea of using regular shoes, or my ATB shoes. I like not clipping in with my left foot until I have enough speed to do so without doing the side slide.

They clip and unclip well (once I ground the front 3 tabs off)

Weaknesses:    If you are going to clip in with ATB shoes you will need to grind off the three tabs on the front of the clip side. If you don’t the shoe does not have enough clearance to clip in. Bad Design.

Bottom Line:
I like the pedals, I ground off the three tabs to give my shoe clearance to clip in. I like to start off without being clipped, and then flip the pedal and clip in once I am going.

If you aren’t afraid of grinding on brand new pedals, then they are good. They clip in and out well once I modified them, but I am sure someone else makes a pedal with this stile that does not need ground down before you ride.

Purchased At:   Nashbar.com

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Tiburon S Mostly stock with new pedals.

Submitted by Kyle Hazelwood a Cross Country Rider from Illinois

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2005

Strengths:    Good concept when applied to the shimano version

Weaknesses:    It doesnt work

Bottom Line:
These pedals are horribly designed. The concept is great, one side clipless the other just the cage. My LBS had the shimano version for 60 bucks but i figured nashbar might have it cheaper, they sure did. I was going to put these on my campus bike but i guess not. If you use any spd shoe with cleat on them dont even bother trying these pedals it wont work. There is a clearance issue here. Tisk Tisk Nashbar

Favorite Trail:   Kickapoo

Purchased At:   Nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   I got rid of this crap and finally dished out (though not much) for some Shimano m52's

Bike Setup:   Giant Iguana, Shimano M52's

Submitted by Jeff S a Weekend Warrior from Wichita KS USA

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2005

Strengths:    Low price. Good performance

Weaknesses:    not as easy or smooth to clip in and out as Shimano SPD, but not terrible either. Standard toe strap doesnt fit

Bottom Line:
I expected a very poor product after reading reviews here but was pleasantly surprised. I have no trouble with clipping in or out of the pedal using a typical ATB bike shoe. All I did was screw the cleats onto my shoes and screw the pedals onto the crank, there were no issues or need to file or modify anything, they work right out of the box.

As bad as some of the reviews here are I wonder if Nashbar didnt improve the design at some point because I cant understand how anyone could dislike these pedals for only $30 msrp.

They arent quite as smooth as the $120 crank bros pedals or $80 shimano pedals I have used in the past, but they work well.

It is quite nice having the choice of using either a standard platform or a clipless pedal. I can ride my errand machine with any shoes I choose. Anyone who doesnt want to spend a fortune on pedals and uses their bike with both cycling shoes and street shoes will be happy they bought this product.

Purchased At:   nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   Crank Bros Candy SL, Shimano M52, Look Road style, everyday platform pedals

Bike Setup:   Trek 1200 used for commuting and recreational riding

Submitted by Rick a Weekend Warrior from West Harrison NY USA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2004

Strengths:    CHEAP!

Weaknesses:    Need redesign

Bottom Line:
They work fine for me now that I have hacked off the 3 teeth on the "spd" side of each pedal. Before those things made it way too hard to clip in, and effectively eliminated any float the pedal should have had. DON'T BUY THESE if you're against the idea of taking a hacksaw, grinder, and/or file to the pedals before you even bother to install them on your bike. I've emailed Nashbar and advised them they should consider a redesign. I paid $20 which I think is about as cheap as you can find a clipless pedal.

Purchased At:   nashbar.com

Bike Setup:   Recumbent roadbike {also own a Honda ATB}

Submitted by Tom from Philly

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2004

Strengths:    They can make me angry.

Weaknesses:    They don't work. They weigh as much as I will not being able to ride my bike.

Bottom Line:
These pedals don't work. They cage prevents one from clipping into the cleat. This makes no sense because who would put toe clips on a pedal with an spd side. This is a defective product and nashbar really shouldn't be selling it, at least without a warning.

Bike Setup:   KHS mountain, but I wanted to put these on an old lotus road bike i dug out of a relatives shed.

Submitted by Andrew Musty from Burlington, VT USA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2004

Strengths:    Unbeatable price. Clipless bindings can be easily removed (three screws only) if you want a basic pedal. durable and have sealed bearings. Big platform and look pretty sharp. For those of us who aren't wealthy and a bit too competative, it's hard to complain when I only spent 25 dollars!

Weaknesses:    none for the price.

Bottom Line:
You get a bang for your buck. Student, artist, beginner, even expert can benefit with these. Unless you have a lot of money, you are a sponsored athlete, or just plain obsessed with your bike, you will be fine with these.

Favorite Trail:   Long Trail

Purchased At:   Nashbar mail order

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Bike Setup:   trek 8500, front susp.,

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Indianapolis

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2004

Strengths:    Nashbar is good about returns.

Weaknesses:    Could not get them to function no matter how I adjusted cleat position and tension. Extremely large and heavy. They are NOT SPD compatible (see below).

Bottom Line:
Negative 2 chilis. Going cheap has bitten me in the butt! Spend the bucks and buy the Shimanos. And why do you read "SPD compatible" on a product, open it and the first thing they say is "don't use SPD cleats with these"?

Favorite Trail:   Mouse @ Tsali

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Various Shimano SPD pedals over the years. My daughter has the Shimano pedal like this, works like a champ.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher mountain bike being used as a commuter/city bike.

Submitted by tom c a Cross Country Rider from alameda, CA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2004

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Terrible. At lowest tension these are like a vise. Outer cage design conflicts with clip in. Designed by an idiot.

Bottom Line:
These blow. Have used many clipless. I like the Shimano version of this pedal very much. Have found them to be very versatile (see my review of Sh 324). Got these from Nashbar thinking they would be a less expensive alternate for one of my other bikes. Not worth a nickel. Can't hardly clip out because even at low-end of tension adjustment they are way too tight. The cage interferes with shoes, even smooth-soled skate style. No wonder Nashbar has reduced these to $20. These pedals should be illegal because anyone who starts out with these as first clipless will think they are all this bad. Don't bother with this worthless garbage! Is there a 0 chili rating possible?

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Many types of clipless.

Submitted by Cletus a Weekend Warrior from WA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2003

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    can't clip out easily......

Bottom Line:
I purchased these for my commuter bike.....I read the other post and had similar problems...I tried two different shoes and couldn't clip out with either...I don't think the cleat mechanism is high enough above the poorly designed cage......i ended up filing off some worthless nubs...it helped a little but not enough......they are going in the garbage....i Used the performance version of this pedal and I thought it worked fairly well, after a couple of years i had trouble clipping out on my left side so i decided to try the nashbar ones........i am so disappointed in this pedal that i had to write my first post here....don't buy this pedal...

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar