Nashbar Platform Sport Pedal

2.75/5 (4 Reviews)

This wider platform design assures greater comfort and stability. 2 sided cleat retention with adjustable tension. 4 degree float. Sealed bearings. Black only. 542g

Submitted by Alex a Cross Country Rider from Washington

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2006

Strengths:    combines platform and clipless.

Weaknesses:    heavy clunkiness, almost impossible to clip in and out. In other words "junk".

Bottom Line:
After doing some racing with clipless pedals I decided to go back to platform. I'm one of the few ingrates who races xc with platforms. It just makes me feel more secure and I can use my foor in tight corners. I tried to get the best of both worlds with these pedals but it just ain't happening. Unless you have really soft soled shoes with spd clip cutout you're not gonna like these puppies. I couldn't clip in and when i finally did it was a mother to try and clip out. I sent them back and I'm waiting for a refund.

Purchased At:   bike nashbar

Similar Products Used:   too many to mention, spd mostly but love the platforms...

Bike Setup:   diamondback xc custom bike with lots of upgrades.

Submitted by Alan a Cross Country Rider from Springfield Mo US

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2004

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
For the price this is a good pedal. A good dual purpose pedal that can be customized to a one sided clipless. I took the clip off one side since many times I don't want to be locked in. The loss of weight from one side makes the pedal rotate with the clip down when idle. So far I'm very happy with this setup for the rocky technical terrain that I ride. Not sure if its worth 5 chilis yet since durability may be questionable given the price.

Purchased At:   Nashbar.com

Submitted by Patrick Abille a Cross Country Rider from Long Beach

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap. Mine has a no-mechanism platform side with grip pins. Great pedal for an urban assault bike.

Weaknesses:    Does not engage the cleat very easily. Especially if it is from another manufacturer.

Bottom Line:
Haven't tried these pedals offroad. I like my trusty 737s for that duty. These are great for a beach trail cruise with my favorite kicks, a trip to Home Depot with work boots or a more intense ride through the burbs with some cleated BMX or touring shoes.
The price is way less than any other platform SPD. I'm not sure about it being a good beginner pedal. Engagement is tricky and with just one mechanism side, you have to flip the pedal over to engage. I always suggest to beginners to get a decent clicking pedal and practice on level ground.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 737, 727, 525. Wellgo, Ritchey, Onza, Nashbar (Ritchey clones).

Bike Setup:   Old '92 Specialized M2 Pro with Judy fork, risers, V brakes, Grip Shift and Ritchey Mobybite slicks used for urban patrol only.

Submitted by LARBIKE a Weekend Warrior from San Antonio, Texas

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2003

Strengths:    Wide platform - good for begining riders getting used to clipless pedals. Allows pedalling while unclipped. Comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Easily bashed on rocks and obstacles. Heavy.

Bottom Line:
I have used these pedals for over a year now and can say that they work as intended. The wide platform is comfortable and allows pedalling when unclipped. Use caution when traversing rocky terrain as I have broken one pedal on a rock (Nashbar was good about replacing the pedal while under warranty). Clipping and unclipping is fairly easy but the pedals must be cleaned and lubed regularly. Mud clogs these pedals easily. Overall rating is fair (two chilies)

Favorite Trail:   OP Schnable