Home | Reviews | Pedal | Look

Look Quartz Pedal

3.09/5 (32 Reviews)

The Quartz shows very light eight for a product at less than 60 euros (125 grams). It is by far the lightest weight on the market in this price range. Completely hollowed out around the axis line, it offers an excellent evacuation of mud. The very large pressure area optimizes the pedalling power. This new pedal offers great engagement and disengagement smoothness. Efficient in competitions, it also reassures beginners.

Read the Pro Review on the Look Quartz Pedal Here>>

Submitted by Captain Duderino

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2012

Strengths:    Solid, tight feel. Highly predictable clipping in/out. Mud, dung, branch, sapling, snow and ice shedding.

Weaknesses:    you do have to have shoes whose shape is optimized for making contact with the composite base (most spd-style shoes) or not have wussy legs that flop all around on bumps (I don't know, but I think that the same goes for all clipless pedals). Plastic always looks crappy and Carbon always looks incredibly fallable to me.

Bottom Line:
When I'm hungover and riding sloppy with over-walked shoes I do accidentally unclip from time to time. I have had these for close to two years only, and ridden them one hundred to four hundred miles a week year-round in CNY commuting and trail riding and they never ever give me unexpected troubles that I wouldn't get with time or spd. I got these because I couldn't get a tight enough feel with spd's at the shop (they always felt loose and clackey, no matter what the shop guys tried). They felt great from the get-go. I intend on putting them on all of my non-flat-pedal bikes as soon as I have the money.

Submitted by danontario a Cross Country Rider from Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2012

Strengths:    Mud shedding
Solid feel
Strong design
Lightweight
Good Value

Weaknesses:    No adjustable tension ( HAS NOT AFFECTED MY EXPERIENCE, NO COMPLAINTS)

Bottom Line:
These pedals are excellent, I went with the look quartz on impulse as I wanted to try them out as opposed to just going with SPD or eggbeaters like most people. Pedals are great value and lightweight. I have had zero issues. I followed the cleat height instructions in the manual and have had no problems with excessive play or difficult clipping in/out in my northwave maya pro shoes. These pedals have worked flawlessly for me and I have not had any issues in heavy mud.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD

Bike Setup:   2011 Kona Unit: Rockshox Reba, NoTubes ZTR Arch wheels, Halo hubs, SRAM X9 1x10, Avid BB7's, Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow, Kona cockpit

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City, Mo

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2012

Strengths:    Great concept. Engagement and disengagement are great. Cleat wear is outstanding. Great platform. Great float for finicky knees.

Weaknesses:    Springs bend after so many rock hits or root snags and the pedal is worthless after that. The material that the pedals are made from squeaks to no end after the pedals are broke in. Lube works for a short while, but not long and the sqeak is back.

Bottom Line:
I wrote a positive review for these after I had initially purchased. Now a year into using these pedals I have had two sets have the springs stretched after hitting roots and rocks. The problem is the design again. The spring flexes in the front of the pedal so the bottom of the pedal when you are clipped in has the spring towards the back of the bike. When you snag a root or rock it pulls the spring wire and apparently stretches it out enough to not allow you to clip in again on that side. The first pair Look did Warranty. Taking in my second pair to get warrantied today. Look is not fast on warranty replacement. It took 5 weeks the last time.

The other issue I have is the sqeak of the pedal material. After they are broke in the material starts to sqeak and lube works for a short period, but doesn't fix the problem. It drives me crazy.

I am really disappointed that these pedals did not work out. I really liked them. I bought four sets after I initially tried them. they have a lot of great qualities, but I need a pedal that doesn't leave me unclipped in the middle of no where due to no fault of my own. Once again a poor design in the spring. I touted Look as fixing their issue when they beefed up the initial spring problem they had. I guess that is why reviews should be done later into use. Don't write them with the shiny new product on your bike.

I guess Time ATAC ROC pedals are the next pedals. I haven't given them a shot yet. I may go back to Eggbeaters as well.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Cycle City

Similar Products Used:   Eggbeaters, Candy, SPD

Bike Setup:   Mountain bikes and cross bikes.

Submitted by hedgeboar a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2011

Strengths:    Base model is light for the price. Great stability side to side. Predictable entry/exit, no unintentional releases. Great feel all round.

Weaknesses:    carbon and carbon-ti models are significantly more expensive for a very modest weight loss WRT the base model.....

Bottom Line:
Great pedals. I guarantee that all the negative reviewers below are either using the pre-2009 version (you can see the difference in the bars, be careful you get the newer version when you are buying them) or have not set up the cleats as recommended. I've done a lot of riding in different conditions with these pdeals now, ranging from XC races to gnarly goat tracks in the mountains, and they've never missed a beat. Get a pair.

Purchased At:   Second hand

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, misc spd, time.

Bike Setup:   26" HT

Submitted by fmdonovan a Racer from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2011

Strengths:    Durability, release, shims

Weaknesses:    Entry, setup

Bottom Line:
After a growing frustration with Crankbrothers (CB), replacing on average about 1.5 pairs per year due to broken bars or excessive play while clipped in due to deformed bars, I wanted to try something new. The Look Quartz pedal is a great value. Decent weight for the price, no accidental releases (this is the newer version referred to as the 2009 version), and emergency releases happen fast. A big negative of CB was releases when hitting rocks, this doesn't happen. The entry is the biggest negative for me, it's a big finicky to clip in at times and takes a bit of effort compared to the CB design. The release, clipping out, is identical to CB in its smoothness and ease. I like the shims since it eliminates the side to side rocking when pedaling well-worn shoes and can be adjusted throughout the wear cycle of the shoe's sole. Thus assuring a positive contact surface between the sole and pedal.

Favorite Trail:   Dakota Ridge, Falcon, Devil's Backbone

Purchased At:   Tree Fort Bikes

Similar Products Used:   XTR, Crankbrothers Candy/eggbeaters

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Expert (2009), Specialized Epic Comp Carbon 29 (2011)

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Loveland, OHIO USA

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2011

Strengths:    Mud shedding, Snow Shedding, Easy entry, great retention when rolling your foot such as when applying body english in corners and leaning the bike, Shimano SPD will disengage in this situation.

Weaknesses:    Bearings come with an insufficient amount of grease and the lowest model pedal, standard Quartz has only one inboard bearing. That being said, they are easily serviced with basic one pair of channel lock pliers and the basic sets of these I own have lasted through 2 years of constant use including snow and mud cyclocross races and all sorts of mountain as well as various long rides on my road bike when my speedplays weren't near by.

Bottom Line:
This pedal needs to be properly understood. I have purposely set mine up incorrectly to find out why there were negative reviews of the best pedal I have found in 10 years. The "tension" or percieved resistance in engagement (clipping in) or disengagement (un clipping) is somewhat dependent upon cleat height relative to the tread or the shoe. If you go to look's web site they tell you exactly which shim to use. That being said, even if you set them up wrong you'll find they are a joy to use. The reviewers here must have either failed to read the instructions thoroughly, failed to understand how the pedal works, or just had one of the first versions before the shape of the spring was modified.

BEST PEDAL EVER FOR MTB SHOES AND OFF ROAD USE. GUARANTEED.

Favorite Trail:   Hall Ranch

Purchased At:   Wheelie FUN

Similar Products Used:   Nothing like these. Egg beaters fell apart consistently and shimanos unclipped while getting the bike leaned over, frogs are not even an option, time changed their spring shape and they weigh too much.

Bike Setup:   trek 69er xc racemachine, trek remedy trail rig, kona major jake RRNW crossmachine.

Submitted by krisko75 a Cross Country Rider from ACT, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2010

Strengths:    Very light weight
Very stable platform (No hotspots!)
Simple design sheds mud well
Low profile, more clearance on techy sections

Weaknesses:    Takes some getting used to.
Misconceptions over the old and new models.

Bottom Line:
Read the manual for best results.
Their was an early release of these pedals that clipped out too easily. The newer model has a higher spring tension similar to mid range Shimano adjustment.

If you find them difficult to unclip:
1st check your using the correct spacers you may need less tension against the side grips on the sole of your shoe.
2nd turn your cleats (pointing towards the bike, toe in) with the 15 deg cleats. This will make them easier to unclip (close to 12/13 deg) essentially making them similar to Shimano SPD's.

If you find them too easy to unclip use the 20 deg cleats and remove spacer(s) so the grip on your sole contacts the pedal body, tighter. If it's still too easy turn your cleat (pointing away from the bike, toe out) this will increase the degrees to unclip.

The cleat adjustment isn't listed in the manual (it should be) because it works it can increase or decrease float by 2-4degrees!
If you like the look of new XTR SPD's but want more contact again tgive these a go!

3chillis overall rating due to the time taken to get them right. Once they are you'll be impressed!

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, Shimano XTR, Candy

Bike Setup:   Irrelevant to review although I run 180 cranks and like the extra clearance from the pedals lower profile.

Submitted by wilsin Tan a Weekend Warrior from philippines,Bacolod City

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2010

Strengths:    It is easy to clipp-in/clip-out,so far this the pedal i like,compare to crank bros eggbeater and candy c that hard to clip-out,that cause me to fall,and shimano xtr that heavy to use and hard to clip-in so9metimes.

Weaknesses:    none at the moment,cause im using this pedal also on trail and road, maybe im not heavy compare to americans and europians.

Bottom Line:
So friends who are bigger than one sack of rice,dont over use pedals.

Favorite Trail:   Canlaon Volcan

Purchased At:   cycletote bikeshop

Similar Products Used:   shimano xtr,xt,crank bros bros eggbeater,candy c

Bike Setup:   Giant carbon trance, mix with xtr and X.o.parts

Submitted by CameronMeyer a Cross Country Rider from Bloomington, IN

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, look cool

Weaknesses:    Unpredictable unclipping..

Bottom Line:
These pedals are ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS when it comes to staying clipped in. I did the Walnut trail down at Brown County last weekend and kept unclipping at the worst times: steep downhills, going over logs/rocks, tight fast turns, climbing, etc. This is a huge liability and I'm sure it has resulted in some serious wrecks. I would call this a design flaw on the highest order. I'll be moving these over to my road bike so that I don't have to throw them away.

Favorite Trail:   Brown County

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski Sports, OK

Similar Products Used:   Time Atac, SPD, Crank Bro Candy SL

Bike Setup:   Sette Ace w/ full XTR

Submitted by firedawg225 a Cross Country Rider from Chievres, Belgium

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2009

Strengths:    Lightness
Ease to clip in and out
Sheds mud/ doesn't cake up in the pedal like SPD's

Weaknesses:    Direction on install (shims)
Shim system
Cleat needs to be alittle bigger (tabs on the cleats)

Bottom Line:
I've read other reviews and haven't had any problems with the pedals. I ride with my Shimano loose so they release easy and thats the way i like it. when i fall i come out of the pedals and don't injure myself. today the bike fell of a lip and almost dragged me down due to my foot being stuck in the pedal. i've road about 100km in the pedals so far and no issues with falling out. BTW if you shoe contacts the pedal(the sole) then the cleat doesn't engage all the way. .5mm was what the book told me but the cleat couldn't fully engage. a 1mm shim was perfect. Love these. And also here in belgium where mud is everywhere these don't get clogged up. i'd buy them again.

Favorite Trail:   Mer De Sable

Similar Products Used:   Shimano PD-M324
Shimano PD-M545

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500
HM Moab custom

Submitted by scull a Cross Country Rider from Perth, WA Australia

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2008

Strengths:    Light as egg shells, will shed mud well

Weaknesses:    as per previous comments, foot releases too easily, ofeten at the critical times when it really needs to be in there

Bottom Line:
Bought my first dual suspension bike last week having loved my hard tail for years and got them to fit these pedals as they were highly recommended by store. My foot continually came out whilst pushing the new bike around corners, over jumps, logs etc and ended up with more bruises and scrapes than i've collectively had in the last 3 mths. will fit my old Shimano xt pedals that i know will stay clipped and try to get a better feel for my new beast instead. No mud here at the moment, only pea-gravel-it's summer. shame, they are so light, look good but really are useless if you push your bike hard.

Favorite Trail:   The Dell

Similar Products Used:   only used spd systems before

Bike Setup:   Trek fuel EX9 2008

Submitted by Tobinator a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2008

Strengths:    light, simple, shed mud well

Weaknesses:    design flaws: unwanted unclipping, does not release your foot when you need it

Bottom Line:
This product is a SAFETY HAZARD. I have been using clip-in pedals for 10 years, and NEVER would I buy Look Quartz again. Even after much fiddling with the shims, the pedal would unclip over minor bumps or on downhills. Unclipping has caused me pain and bruises, with the pedals not releasing properly. Clipping in is difficult as the pedals tend to rotate forwards when you try to clip in. In the 15 years of riding, I have not come past a part that has given me so much grief. Shame really, I tried my best to like it - it's light and they are sturdier than I thought...

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Wellgo, Ritchey

Bike Setup:   4-link frame, Magura Durin fork, Tune wheels, Sram drivetrain, Juicy 7

Submitted by wim wouters a Cross Country Rider from Belgium

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight pedal, after customizing no unwilling unclipping on the track.Bring your shoes when you buy these pedals.

Weaknesses:    The spring is not strong enough. You need to pay very good attention wich shoes you use. Shoes with carbon soals tend to have not enough support. The soal(rubber strips) needs to be in contakt with the pedal or it will unclipp.

Bottom Line:
I do understand what the first person is talking about. I needed to put a line off TEC7 (industrial component) next to the rubber pieces that are attached to the carbon soal of my shoe. In this way i narrowed the space between the pedal and these rubber pieces and this gave the needed support so my shoe is firmly in the pedal. However this should not be necessary and it is a designerror by look.

Favorite Trail:   Houffalize