Home | Reviews | Pedal | Look

Look 4 x 4 Clipless Pedal

3.38/5 (13 Reviews)

Provides unrestricted movement of the cleat in the pedal. Also allows for easy, no look, no kick step in. Excellent mud flow through. Body made of stainless steel. Spindle CrMo. Needle bearings which offer greater durability and longer pedal life. Includes cleats. Color: Silver 290g

Submitted by Bill Coulam a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2014

Strengths:    For me, they were bombproof.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I bought these from my LBS back in 2002 or 2003 in Lakewood, CO. I ride 1 to 3 times per week, mainly mountain, but then transferred these to my road bike 2 years ago. These pedals were great in the mountains of Colorado, the flatlands of Houston, Texas and are now back home in the Rockies of Utah. After 11 to 12 years and zero maintenance whatsoever, the main spring of the left pedal snapped during a 60 mile ride. Not so fun not being able to clip in for 30 miles back home, but hey, 12 years of flawless performance. These other guys with poor reviews must leave their bikes in the rain and ride really hard, or just go really lucky with a well-built pair. Five flamin' chilies.

Duration Product Used:   12 years

Purchased At:   Green Mountain Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Frogs, Shimano SPD

Bike Setup:   22 lb XC Univega Boralite mountain from 1992. 19 lb Giant TC0 carbon from 2003.

Submitted by Davor a Racer from Opatija, Croatia, Europe

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2007

Strengths:    easy to clip on and off, light, dirt proof, possibility to rotate the foot while attached.

Weaknesses:    i miss that 'click' like on shimano's spd. :)

Bottom Line:
i'll be short: one of my favorits parts on my bike.

Favorite Trail:   local long trails

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   shimano spd, crank brothers egg-b.

Bike Setup:   c'dale caffeine, xt/avid/fsa/mavic/selle italia

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from US

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2007

Strengths:    Spin smoothly due to double bearing setup. Easy to click into/out of (4-sided). Excellent mud clearing capabilities.

Weaknesses:    A few words of wisdom: take them off the crank, pop the axle out of the pedal and clean them thoroughly. You do not want to try to rebuild these with the kit Look sells. I just rebuilt mine and wish I would have thrown them out and bought new pedals. I had to grind out the old set of roller bearings with a Dremel...talk about time consuming! Not a happy camper after that one. I paid $47 for the rebuild kit...not worth it! Throw 'em out!

Bottom Line:
Its sad that manufacturers would rather build a product for consumers to throw away rather than rebuild. I think its wasteful!

I had to give 'em 3 flamin chilis for overall rating because they are much less frustrating to use than spd's when the conditions are muddy. Also, the ability to clip in on 4 sides rather than 2 makes clicking in much easier.

Submitted by colin a Cross Country Rider from uk

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2007

Strengths:    eggbeaters S - excellent design with good ground clearance and clip in and out easily. excellent mud clearance

Weaknesses:    Eggbeaters - am I a product tester for this company?, axles snapped on two pairs plus mis treaded axle came off.
I am 6 4" but I do not abuse my gear. Changing to spd before I have a long walk home.

Bottom Line:
Don,t buy unless your a lightweight

Bike Setup:   Trek oclv XT and bontranger

Submitted by Stefano Fabrizi a Cross Country Rider from Milano-Italy

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2006

Strengths:    Great design, but is a copy of Eggbeater which remains my favorite pedal. Uses 2 bearings instead of 1 bushing /1 bearing like in Eggbeater models.

Weaknesses:    The steel axle rusted after some riding under rain....
Never tighten the end cup too much...
The cleats are soft and do wear out fast. Heavy pedal.

Bottom Line:
Good pedal, but not cheap. Need constant maintenance to keep rust away from bearings. Save money for a pair of Eggbeater....

Favorite Trail:   marathon distance

Purchased At:   on web

Similar Products Used:   Eggbeater SL, Twin Ti, Candy SL

Bike Setup:   FRM 10 HP and components, Olympic rims from Stun, Michelin Dry tires, XO deralleur and shifter.

Submitted by Jim Mook a Cross Country Rider from Somerset NJ USA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2005

Strengths:    Bearings instead of bushings

Weaknesses:    I had a problem with the threads not being cut correctly, one pedal screwed into my crnak really tight, so much so that i had a really hard time getting it off. I sent it in to them for warranty, if they don't replace it, you'll hear from me here! All my other pedals screw into my Race Face crank just fine so I know its the LOOK threads

Bottom Line:
These pedals felt fine, the bearing are smoothe but i had a problem witht he threads cut on the non drive side pedal- the last thread was sloppy and i had a rough time removing the pedal, the allen key slots were rounding on me, so I sent it in for warranty, they ought to replace it, but if they do not, you'll hear here, I liked them better than Egg beaters but will let you know what the warranty folks say. I still ike the ATAC XS better for real off road duty, while the egg design is nice for the road or XC tracks.Shimano is no longer an option for me, the accidental release has hurt my knee mre than once

Favorite Trail:   ringwood

Similar Products Used:   Egg beaters, Shimano 520, and 959, Time ATAC XS

Bike Setup:   ML8 with all the toys

Submitted by daz from new zealand

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2004

Strengths:    great cleat design, uses bearings instead of bushings, light weight

Weaknesses:    lack of seals, lets water and grit into expensive bearings

Bottom Line:
loved em for 6 months until I realised they had soaked up litres of mud and were shagged! Why no seals (on the inboard bearing??. My mechanic says there is even space to put them in. So, a new shaft and bearing assembly with retrofitted seal might just do the job, but I fear I will have to strip them down and clean them at each muddy ride. I guess that's what happens with a manufacturers first foray into the mtb market..they blow it.

Similar Products Used:   spd's

Bike Setup:   stumpjmper

Submitted by scaryfast a Racer from DFW

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2004

Strengths:    Unlike the Eggbeater SL which is what this peddle is modeled after this peddle has bearings on both sides. I have been riding the same pair of SL's for 2 years with zero issues and I expect and to date have seem the same performance. Minus the worn out bushings on my eggbeaters.

Weaknesses:    The cleats are soft and do wear out fast. I go though a pair about every 8-9 months...but thats to prevent the peddle from getting the wear. None yet. Well see if the extra bearing makes a difference.

Bottom Line:
If everyone used these(or eggbeaters) there would be world peace. They dont hold mud(not that we have any where i ride), they are easy to get into and out of. Plenty of float. Weight is acceptable. Extremely durable. The new bearing on the inside does make the pedal spin better when compared to a new beater and it its way better than a well used one. These are great race pedals...dont use these if your planning on tooling around town in flip flops, get something with a platform.

Favorite Trail:   Northshore

Similar Products Used:   Eggbeater SL and various spuds

Bike Setup:   Titus RacerX/Float RLC/Float R propedal/XTR/Mavic Crossmax Enduro.

Submitted by Greg a Racer from Germany

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2004

Strengths:    light, stable, shoe sits low on axle, sheds mud very well, good bearings.

Weaknesses:    THE BLOODY END CAPS ARE MADE OUT OF PLASTIC!!! That alone wouldn't be too bad if they didn't keep the pedal from moving around on the axle. You have to tighten these skimpy plastic screws to get rid of any play. NEVER EVER fully remove them, no matter what the manual says! I damaged the thread on one and now my pedal is rattling around like the teeth of an old woman.

Bottom Line:
I used to love these pedals, but WHY did these bloody Frenchmen have to build them with PLASTIC end caps that
are also used to adjust the bearings!?!

Got these on a new bike and I would rather buy the eggbeater-s next time because they are much cheaper and lighter.

Great pedals but not fool-proof.

Only two flaming turds for value because the originals are cheaper and probably just as good.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   SPD, TIME Aliums (yeah!)

Bike Setup:   Race Hardtail

Submitted by Christian a Cross Country Rider from Oklahoma City, OK

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2004

Strengths:    Good Entry/
Exit. Secure clip-in. Light.

Weaknesses:    Weak spindle (broke 2). I have broken 2 Egg Beaters and 2 4x4's. The spindle design sucks and this product sucks if you weight more than 200 lbs.

Bottom Line:
This pedal along with the Crank Bros. pedals suck. I haven't been on any of them for more than 2 months before the spindles fail. Eventually I would have gashed my leg open so I swithced back to SPD. I hear the moans from all you anti SPD guys but when you miss first place in a race due to equipment failure, you get kinda pissed. Screw this design. Spend your money on something that isn't going to let you down. If you are worried about wieght, get off you a$$ and ride more. You can lose 100 grams pretty friggin easy.

Favorite Trail:   Hermosa Meadow, Durango, CO

Purchased At:   Wheeler Dealer

Similar Products Used:   Egg Beaters S (these suck for the same reason)

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper, xtr, fox, mavic, thompson & EPIC set up same.

Submitted by Greg a Racer from Germany

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2004

Strengths:    light, durable, sheds mud well, great looks. Positions shoe close to rotational axis.

Weaknesses:    may unclip when you hit a rock hard enough (hasn't happened to me yet) Not all shoes fit. The logo rubs off quickly if you use them with the wrong shoes (damn)

Bottom Line:
I love these pedals. They do not clip in and out quite as
smoothly as my Aliums but they are much better than any SPD system. Riding clipped out is no problem at all. Had to cut off some rubber on my Specialized Comp shoes.

These came on my new bike. I'd probably buy the Eggbeater-S
because those are cheaper and lighter than Look pedals although the 4x4 are said to have better bushings or bearings or both.

Purchased At:   lbs