Koski Engineering Revolver Pro Pedal

1.33/5 (3 Reviews)

Patent Pending Design, Adjustable Tension, SPD® Cleat Compatible, Downhill style in a cross country size. Heat-treated, spring steel retention plates. Mud ports in the body and retainer plates. Large platform alloy body with CrMo spindle. Sealed needle and ball bearing construction. Gray 310g

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Rowlett, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2004

Strengths:    I'm still alive. They might be ok for light riding on sidewalks.

Weaknesses:    Right foot became stuck (nearly unclippable) a few times, but I was fortunately able to come to a safe stop on my left foot and apply enough force to flex my crank to get unlodged. They came unclipped during critical points in my rides, almost as though they had an evil mind of their own. The last time this happened (New Year's Eve 2003), I was at the top of a rocky, technical downhill. Both feet popped out, and I wiped out bigtime. I broke my left wrist and right elbow, put a knot above my right eye, and possibly broke some ribs on the right side. Broke my sunglasses, too. Before this catastrophe, they would tend to pop loose on fast corners and at the bottom of tough technical climbs, though they were sometimes tough to disengage when I needed it. All this after I'd ridden around my neighborhood (sidewalks, etc) fairly extensively, attempting to adjust them well. They're very hard to clip into consistently, especially while trying to ride on anything but smooth, flat ground.

Bottom Line:
These pedals are straight from Satan's butthole. I've tried clipless before (sometime ago) and liked it, and was hoping these (my first clipless - came with new bike) would be good. I like the concept, and am planning to buy some ATAC's, maybe. It'll be probably 2 months before I'm back on the trails, partially because of these (partially because of me riding a bit too fast on an unfamiliar trail). I think if I'd been in my old toeclips or some better clipless, I would not have crashed at the top of that hill. My feet flew off the pedals almost as though the pedals spit them out, and down I went. I heartily recommend against them. 2 for value, since they came with the bike, but 1 for overall rating. Horrible.

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   Stock 2002 Bianchi KingBee

Submitted by cRock a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2003

Strengths:    absolutely none

Weaknesses:    These EVIL pedals are outlandishly hard to clip into. Clipping out is like removing your foot from a bear trap, yet somehow they manage to unclip on big bumps. Congrats Koski for making a pedal that does nothing right.

Oh yeah, they're an absolute pain to adjust (not that adjustment helps).

Bottom Line:
Avoid these pedals if you value your life. They nearly killed me! If you're buying a bike that has these pedals, ask the shop to swap them out for something else, anything else.

Similar Products Used:   Time Z pedals

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Kingbee (came with the Koski pedals)

Submitted by Doug Reid a Weekend Warrior from Royal Oak, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2003

Strengths:    They work, and look pretty durable. No plastic components.

Weaknesses:    They are more difficult to adjust than most. Two tools are necessary to adjust. There is a fine line between having the pedals too loose, or too tight.

Bottom Line:
They work, and should serve me fine. I'll just keep adjusting until I find the proper adjustment.

I wouldn't pay much for these, but if they are free or come with your bike then I think they can be put to use.

Favorite Trail:   Island Lake

Purchased At:   supergo - came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Adjusted Shimano 515s, and they are much easier to adjust and in my opinion a better designed pedal.

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Kingbee - stock