Home | Reviews | Pedal | Givin

3.71/5 (7 Reviews)

givin c-mag

Submitted by Lance a Cross Country Rider from Oregon

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2001

Strengths:    adjustable

Weaknesses:    Makes funky noise, tiny, hard to ram foot in when not looking, sucks when they come undone.(When I had them loose)

Bottom Line:
I like the pedal but I keep hearing this funky clinkin noise kinda like a shift. I have hosed em down with WD-40 and am kinda gettin annoyed with the weird noise. other than that the pedal is cool. Very adjustable. When I was learning I loosend the bolt and I didnt fall and now I tighten em and they are awesome. I got em used for real cheap to.

If you want an affordable pedal I would go with the $20 Wellgo's or Nashbar pedals. They all are basically the same thing.

Favorite Trail:   Empire Lakes & Eel Lake

Purchased At:   mtbr classifieds

Similar Products Used:   toe clips

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Topanga Comp with Deore, Lx, XT mix of parts With Judy XC.

Submitted by BikeInsider from Somewhere in Cali

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2001

Strengths:    Good pedals

Weaknesses:    Overpriced

Bottom Line:
INSIDE TIP: HEY GUYS, THESE PEDALS WORK WELL, BUT THEY'RE JUST WELLGO'S! YES, WELLGO!!!! SAVE YOURSELF $$ NEXT TIME & BUY SOME WPD-800s FOR $20 ON SALE...

Similar Products Used:   INSIDE TIP: THESE ARE GOOD PEDALS, BUT THEY'RE JUST WELLGO's. THAT'S RIGHT, WELLGO. THE GUYS PAYING $20 FOR WPD-800s FROM WELLGO ARE GETTING THE SAME THING & PAYING LESS MONEY.

Submitted by DaWobbler a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa, CA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2000

Strengths:

Bottom Line:
Shimano SPD Cleats in Girvin Cmags...JUST SAY NO!!!

These are very nice clipless pedals..period! However you must MUST use the Girvin cleats unless you have far to much skin and not enough bruises. Simply put, using this combination will allow you to gain additional height as you unclip during bunnyhop allowing maximum trajectory OR you can perform your very own vasectomy as you unclip during the landing of same. I'm hoping the falsetto will fade with time.. Speaking of Times..that's what I ended up putting on after spending three rides trying to find the damn pedal after stabbing desperately at tiny platform at 25 mph.

Bottom line..great pedal with correct cleat. Easy release or screw it down to "forget it you're never coming out" but for Downhilling or technical "touch n go"..... the Times are easier to find, can clip in at bottom OR TOP of stroke,
15-20 degree's of float versus 4, and most importantly..At least to me..was a wider easier platform without having to go to a full cage.

Compared to anything other than the Times however... These are very, very good. Value..they're pricey so...3 chilis..REI sells Generic Ritcheys/Wellgo's for 20 Bucks..thats VALUE but overall.. a pretty nice place to strap a shoe.. 4 Chili!!

Submitted by Rob Cassiani a Cross Country Rider from Hamilton Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2000

Strengths:    Easy to get out of, Strong, Smooth Bearings

Bottom Line:
A good pedal for the money, never had any problems with them and never had to adjust them from the box. I went form regular pedals with that dumb clip over the shoe to these clipless CMags and have no regrets what so ever. They even hold up well when caked on with mud and have taken some pretty tough hits, yet still come back for more. Definitely a good overall pedal for someone who looking for a higher grade pedal at a moderate price.

Favorite Trail:   Kelso Lake, Milton Ontario Canada

Bike Setup:   Spicer Alum. Frame,xt & xtr thoughout, Manituo SXr, Mavic 222 Rims

Submitted by Sean a Cross-Country Rider from CA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 1999

Strengths:
Light, strong, good looking

Weaknesses:
none anymore!

Bottom Line:
I'm posting this followup to my first review beacause I've fixed my little problem. I set the retention to my preferred level and broke the retention adjuster's threading device with a screw driver. Not only did I put down the pedals' rebellion, but I saved a few grams too!

East Government Trail

6 months

shimano, wellgo

k2/proflex 4000

Submitted by Sean a cross-country rider from CA

Date Reviewed: February 28, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have the '98 k2 mag-c's on my proflex 4000. When they feel like working, they feel better than shimanos, however, you never know when they're gonna say no more. all of the sudden you're either locked in or swimming in your pedals. The worst part is, theres no warning.. You might go a week with no problems, than... BOOM! They are nice and light and extremely good looking.

Submitted by mark a weekend warrior from michigan

Date Reviewed: May 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

I'm not quite sure what to say about these Pedal. I wish there had been more reviews about them before I bought them. I went from the toe cage type pedal to these and I love the way that they work. I have had them for only about 3 weeks though and one has already broken. I just got back from riding and the left one did not feel quite right. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the large part of the release clip on one side had broken off. The guy at the bike store tried to sell me shimano 747 but I went with the girvin because my stepbrother has a proflex with the givin c-mag. I called k-2 as soon as I got in and Mark at customer service told me I would have to resolve it at my bike shop. Two problems with that. One this was the last pair they had. Two I will be with out Pedal while I am waiting for the new ones or replacement parts. I have read alot of reviews here and some of the better companies have shipped ppl new parts overnight. Not the case with girvin. This part probably only cost them 50 cents and I would have been more than happy to replace it myself. Plus I hate going to the shop to have this taken care of cause as Mark put it they would have to determine if it was a warranty issue. So now if the guy at the shop does not want to cover it under warranty I have to argue with him about it or pay more bucks for Pedal I just spent $100.00 on. I have only had these for 3 weeks, and I am not that hard on my bike. I wish now I had listened to the salesmaker and gone with shimano. They get 2 chillies only because I really like Pedal. Shimano has a solid piece across the back which looking in retrospect is probably a lot more durable. I hope this site puts up girvin Pedal on the main review board soon, I would like to see if anyone else has had this problem. I will write another review when I get this resolved and spend some more time on these Pedal. But before you buy these just look at them and think for yourself how strong that design is. I have had my bike for over a year now and have never had any of my shimano stuff break. In fact everything else has been flawless. ps I just got a new answer manitou fsti which I ordered from Nashbar and I love it, even installed it myself:-) but that is another review.