Home | Reviews | Pedal | Easton

Easton Flatboy Pedal

4.34/5 (29 Reviews)

If you're out ripping lift-access DH trails, hucking drops, or just making laps in the jump park all day, you need to be able to trust your pedals. The Easton Flatboys are the choice the of badasses like Brian Lopes. The Flatboys are built with Cromoly spindles and Alloy cages to withstand huge impact from both above and below.

Submitted by Matthew

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2012

Strengths:    So far, so great! We'll see how they hold up over the long run!

Weaknesses:    None so far...

Bottom Line:
Feel solid and well made. Nice to get 5 extra pins in the box. Nice that they showed up in a decent box, not falling out of a cheap box like other pedals I have purchased.

Submitted by Adam Driedzic a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton, Alberta

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2011

Strengths:    Fast bearings, stiff for power, thin profile for clearance, great grip on shoes.

Weaknesses:    None as long as you accept that it is a flat and it has the weight and thickness of a light DH/FR pedal.

Bottom Line:
These are awsome flats. They are better for all mountain riding than cheap clipless. I gave good value rating because I got them on clearance.

Favorite Trail:   K-country

Similar Products Used:   lots of flats and clipless pedals.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mtn Blizzard set up for trail /am.

Submitted by Bmx dave a Cross Country Rider from San Jose ca usa

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2011

Strengths:    Size, grip,feel,strength

Weaknesses:
Price

Bottom Line:
These pedals are very nice
My big feet with tennis shoes stick like glue to these guys
I've rode a lot of bmx pedals and Easton is the favorite
The pedal is large and the pins are sharp and pronounced
Good low center of gravity
Wish they would cnc a little weight off

Favorite Trail:   Los gatos creek trail

Purchased At:   Price thumper

Similar Products Used:   Kkt,dx,bullseye,welgo,

Bike Setup:   24 dyno Nitro bmx ,profile 180,graphite mags,layback seatpost,
Boss triple bars,Easton flatboys

Submitted by Jonpaul a Cross Country Rider from Gold Canyon,AZ,USA

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2010

Strengths:    Large, Pins hold foot in place, look bulletproof and look good.

Bottom Line:
My feet were always moving around on my Rockhopper stock pedals and they felt small for my size 12-boot. Now, my boots seem to be solid with the pedal. These are the best pedals that I've ever owned; so, if you are a bigfoot, you might need these.

Favorite Trail:   Bell Rock, Sedona

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   Stock pedals

Bike Setup:   Rockhopper 2009

Submitted by flymo a Weekend Warrior from Scotland

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2010

Strengths:    low profile ,grippy, light and look good.

Weaknesses:    i had some movement in one pedal and was told it needed a bering kit and cover was cracked and was told it would be a few weeks, 4 months later its not been resolved. i cant find any info on their web page.

Bottom Line:
ARE THESE PEDALS DISPOSABLE EASTON!!!! great when working 4 months is a bit too long to wait for parts though. if i got good service these pedals would get 100 flamin chilis

Favorite Trail:   laggan wolftrax

Purchased At:   alpinebikes

Bike Setup:   cannondale prophet x

Submitted by quasse a Downhiller from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2009

Strengths:    Unbelievable grip, pins don't fall out, tough enough to hit on rocks and keep going.

Bottom Line:
These pedals literally feel magnetic, they have so much grip. I got these after riding on Wellgos for years, and the difference was unbelievable. Your feet will not come off unless you want them to, and I haven't had a crash caused by my feet slipping off the pedals since I got these.

Favorite Trail:   Quarry Park

Bike Setup:   2008 Giant STP 1, Juicy Fives, BLKMRKT Seat

Submitted by Bigtime a Weekend Warrior from Oceanside, CA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2009

Strengths:    Grip my shoes, nice platform for my foot, make cool sounds when you bounce them off rocks.

Weaknesses:    None yet, maybe weight - but that's unavoidable in a pedal like this.

Bottom Line:
I was using pedals that had an SPD side and a flat side and found myself going to the flat side more and more in technical sections. I liked the SPD for long climbs but had also experienced more than a few SPD-aided tipovers in rocky sections (yes, I know how to adjust them and I know technique has something to do with it). The bottom line is that I found myself occasionally reluctant to try sections because I was clipped in, and the flip side didn't have a lot of grip on the shoe or support for an SPD-equipped shoe. After doing some research I decided to give the Flatboys a try, and also picked up some Five Ten Freeriders. I figured if the pedals didn't work out the shoes could be worn for casual wear so I wasn't out that $100.00. On the first ride I lifted my foot right off the pedal a few times, but never had an issue with lateral movement. The little grippers on the pedals really sunk into the soles of the shoes. I had to watch where I placed my foot on the pedal for the first ride but it soon became second nature as I developed a feel for the pedals. On the next few rides I slightly adjusted my pedal style from lifting the pedal on upstroke to pushing it forward over the top using the grip available to my shoes. Now that I have become used to the feel and the trade-off between being clicked in and being able to dab at-will I don't think twice about attacking rock sections and nasty little uphills that I previously would have hesitated on. Obviously without a mechanical attachment to the pedal you won't have that clicked in feeling, but I've come to feel secure and now prefer to the Flatboys to the SPDs for the riding I do. Anything like this is a trade-off; you need to decide for yourself if the lack of mechanical attachment to your bike is worth the free feel of a flat –pedal. For me it worked out and I don’t see myself going back to SPDs unless I know I’m going somewhere that will be long spin sessions on roads. These pedals offer a lot of grip to your shoe. They are slightly curved and support the ball of my feet well. They seem pretty rugged, I’ve bounced them off some rocks and while they got pretty deep scratched on them they still function perfectly. They’re not light, but for the mass they aren’t very heavy either. I’ll see how they hold up in the long run but for now I’m completely satisfied with my purchase,

Favorite Trail:   various

Bike Setup:   Pitch Pro, Speed V Comp, Ourys, Flatboys.

Submitted by drz400sm a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2008

Strengths:    These pedals feel nice. They have a lot of traction, you wont lose your footing very easily. They look nice and ive always had good luck with easton products (mostly non mtb products tho).

Weaknesses:    Retail price.

Bottom Line:
These pedals seem very durable. I have hit them pretty hard quite a few times with only a few dings to prove it. The traction pegs are pretty sharp, i chopped up my leg good once, but it was my fault, not the pedals...any other platform will do the same thing. I only paid 45 bucks for these when i purchased a new bike, so as long as they last for the meantime i wont be too upset. They feel good so far and feel like they will hold up for years.

Bike Setup:   09 giant trance x3

Submitted by bennybanana a Cross Country Rider from tamborine, qld

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2008

Strengths:    Grip well

Weaknesses:    Lasted 6 weeks, spindle stripped off pedal, unrepairable, company wont back product, LASTED 6 WEEKS only!!!

Bottom Line:
I thought Id give these pedals a go, I do a mix of XC and all-mountain riding...the pedals gripped my shoes really well, until a slight creaking develope din the right one, 2 minutes later the pedal slipped off the spindle, cleaned it up, looked at it, but it is unrepairable...contacted Easton US, Europe, Australia, nobody will follow up on the warranty claim, worst customre service ever - I will NEVER buy another Easton or Bell product again - there are enough choices out there to avoid companies like these - I understand its not your usual form of purchase, but they were BRAND NEW, for goodness sake, and the company won't stand up for them. AVOID EASTON PRODUCTS - if they fail, you're on your own.

Favorite Trail:   tambo dump track ;)

Purchased At:   ebay shop - new

Similar Products Used:   Crappy plastics pedals that came with my bike

Bike Setup:   Avanti Hammer Disc XC

Submitted by vbellpringle a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA USA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2008

Strengths:    Grippy, wide, stable

Weaknesses:    Shinburger potential, weight--heavy,
Easton does not stand by this product if there is a problem!

Bottom Line:
These are great pedals and my first pair lasted 8 years. I bought a new set this year and the left pedal broke apart while I was riding on an EASY trail. The pedal fell off and the end cap was nowhere to be found. I called Easton and Weber Sports to see if I could get the pedal fixed or replaced. Both said "tough luck--buy another pair." I had only ridden on these pedals about 10 times before it broke and Easton said they would do nothing, despite having a supposed "2 year waranty" on them.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali NC

Purchased At:   Weber Sports

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 2008

Submitted by vbellpringle a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2008

Strengths:    Very Grippy and stable.

Weaknesses:    My first set lasted 8 years before one crucial screw broke off--cannot be replaced because the hole is blocked. Now I have to flip the pedal over on the left side to get the grippy side. My new set, only a few months old--went on a trip to Oregon and rode. In the middle of a singletrack near Bend, OR, my left pedal FELL OFF! The bolt on the outside that holds the pedal and shaft together came off and was nowhere to be found. I am going to atempt to get a new one from Easton.

Bottom Line:
Great pedals other than being heavy, shredding your shins, and the jury is out on customer service. Let's see if the two-year limited warranty works!

Favorite Trail:   Tsali North Carolina

Purchased At:   don't remember

Bike Setup:   Have a 2000 Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail with v-breaks
and a 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FS with hydraulic disc breaks.

Submitted by Barry Leigh a Weekend Warrior from South Orange, NJ

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2008

Strengths:    Solid. Sealed bearings. High quality construction and design

Weaknesses:    A bit pricey for platform pedals

Bottom Line:
These are great pedals. Wide. You get a great grip with these platform pedals. And they feel solid but not heavy.

Similar Products Used:   Wellgo stock plastic cage pedals that came as original equipment.

Bike Setup:   Kawasaki (frame from Ming Cycle in Taiwan) KDX2, completely upgraded from stock with Answer riser bar, Cane Creek headset, Rock Shox fork, Avid Single Digit 7 V-brake and brake lever set up. Good old reliable and strong Shimano square taper bottom bracket. SRAM drivetrain and Shimano/Sun Rhyno bombproof wheelset.

Submitted by joe from ireland

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2008

Strengths:    extremely grippy,,

Bottom Line:
these pedals are very good,,,my feet never slip!:)...they are very strong for the weight!

Similar Products Used:   dmr v12,,,welgo (dmr rip offs)

Bike Setup:   duncon amstaff

Submitted by Euan Brownlie a Racer from Fochabers, Scotland

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2007

Strengths:    Were do i start. These pedals are so strong, and grip like nothing else. if u have 5-10's then its like some1 has superglued your foot to it.

Weaknesses:    They do weigh abit if ur a weight freak.

Bottom Line:
I had a set 2 years and didnt service them at all. didnt even touch them with a allen key or anything. they take the hits no problem. pins are super strong. but i did break them. the insides destroyed themselves on a ride. but i loved them so much i bough another set

Favorite Trail:   fort william

Purchased At:   CRC

Similar Products Used:   DMR V8's

Bike Setup:   On a giant faith 1

Submitted by Rodney Scholes a Weekend Warrior from Broulee, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2006

Strengths:    Everything - see my previous review below.

Weaknesses:    None - the price is high but Easton products are top quality.

Bottom Line:
I clipped in on on Crank Brothers Mallets for 4 months but I feel much more relaxed and confident on flats. With any skate shoe with a soft grippy sole (I'm using old Etnies 'Pivot'),or MTB specific brands like 661 & Five Ten my feet stick like glue, but I know I can 'dab' my foot any time things get sketchy.
I'd say the guy who posted the bad review below must have hit a mighty big rock at warp speed 'cos I've hit mine on plenty of rocks with no problems other than trashed pins that need replacement. I've never had a pin ripped out of the pedal body yet (something that happens with some cheaper brands). The bearings have also held up fine - I took the pedals apart a few weeks ago and regreased internals for routine maintenance - still roll smooth as new.
Easton Flatboy are still the best flat pedal I've used.

Favorite Trail:   local state forest

Purchased At:   bike shop I work at

Similar Products Used:   Most flats since the original Shimano DX in my bmx days.

Bike Setup:   As per previous review below - Kona Dawg, but with the following upgrades; Saint cranks (double rings with bashguard - awesome strength - best cranks I've ridden other than XT), 07 XTR deraileurs & rapid fire shifters (the thumb or finger dual release is fantastic), Fox 07 Vanilla RLC fork 140mm travel (much better than my 06 Talas - plush coil spring, better damping and stronger overall build), 07 Fox Float rp23 shock (much better than 06 rp3), new wheels with instant engagement Hadley hubs, DT Comp spokes / Prolock nipples and Singletrack rims, and Chris King Headset.

Easton Flatboy VS CrankBrothers 5050X

I'm looking into purchasing some platform pedals and have been trying to decide between Easton's Flatboy or Crankbrothers 5050X pedals. What do you guys think about these two pedals and what would you go with? Are there any other platform pedals that you'd recommend?Read More »

Store Needed: Easton Flatboy Pins

Any Easton Flatboy users out there know a good web site to get a pin replacement kit? I misplaced the spares that came with the pedals, and the replacement kit seems strangely hard to track down. The only U.S. store that came up on a Google search is [url]www.webersports.com[/url] - I dunno, the sit ... Read More »

Pedals: Easton Flatboy or Straitline

I loved my Easton Flatboys but they were stolen Are Straitline pedals good? Anyone compared both?Read More »

Easton flatboy bearings

yah mine exploded a while ago, guys have any links etc or tips to replace. Nice set of pedals, with 1 blown cartridge.Read More »