Home | Reviews | Pedal | Easton

Easton Cully Pedal

4.17/5 (18 Reviews)

Easton Cully

Submitted by frank from aptos

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2007

Strengths:    Somewhat duable, very grippable, look very cool

Weaknesses:    Will rip your shins to bits and peices if you slip off.

Pins get clogged with dirt so hard to adjust.

Bottom Line:
They stick great, dont spin easily, sturdy, will rip your legs apart!!!

Similar Products Used:   Stock

Submitted by steve zellers a Cross Country Rider from sterling heights

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2004

Strengths:    Crazy Fly Grip, No Flat pedal should have this much Grip
Crazy Fly Lyte, I don't think you can save much more weight on flats

Weaknesses:    A little TOO Light, I bashed the right one on a rock coming around a corner at low speed and the axle bent like a cheap lawn chair, and im only 145lbs.

Bottom Line:
These are not worth the money, you would be better off getting a set of magnesium pedals, or the Azonic A-frames are suppose to be the whip-diggity, hmmmm, there is a company out there wit a lifetime warranty on their flats, i can't remember right now though, but i would recommend something other than these, definitely.

Favorite Trail:   P-Lake

Purchased At:   Antoons

Similar Products Used:   DK Iron Cross, Primo Supertendy's, and ummmm, thats it

Bike Setup:   Soon to have a Heckler built up

Submitted by Lionel a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2004

Strengths:    Looks, durability (main body)

Weaknesses:    Pins fell out, replaced them

Bottom Line:
Pretty good set of pedals for the money. The pedal body is actually very durable. I hit them pretty hard a couple of times on concrete pavements as I ride urban a lot and because my bike has a pretty low bb height. The anodized finishing doesn't last as well though but it shouldn't matter that much.

The pins fell out though, even though they came with thread locker. I had a spare set of pins and I hesitated to use them so I kept them. I just bought some stainless steel allen head bolts of the correct size and used them instead of the original pins. I put thread locker on them of course. This is a better alternative as these allen bolts don't eat the soles of my shoes as do the sharp ended pins that came with the pedal. You won't get as well a grip on the pedals with these allen bolts though.

Thankfully I have not riden my bike as much in bad weather so the pedals have not seen much water. I do hose down my bike after some rides in dusty places before I load it on my car. I can't tell you if the seals are great but perhaps they are. I've not had problems with them even though I usually don't bother to dry off the bike properly after hosing it down or washing it.

I also like the fact that the pedals don't spin wildly after you take your feet off them.

1 chili deducted from the overall rating for the crappy pins. 1 chili deducted from the value rating for the fact that I had to spend a couple more dollars to get my own set of allen bolts to replace those crappy pins.

Favorite Trail:   Urban

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-Works DS, Manitou 100 mm fork, Hayes hydraulic discs, Easton riser, Mavic rims, some other good but affordable stuff

Submitted by Pizzy a Racer from CAli

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2003

Strengths:    Light, low profile, pedal doesn't spin too much when you do no-footers and stuff.

Weaknesses:    Pins fall out easily, sealed bearings aren't really sealed.

Bottom Line:
SUCK. Very frustrating for the money when they seem great for a couple months then just fall apart.
Avoid them if you put alot of riding in. For the avid biker, the bearings alone are reason to not buy these crappy pedals.

Similar Products Used:   Sun, DB, GT, Tioga

Bike Setup:   I have had these pedals on two different slalom bikes

Submitted by Dimm a Weekend Warrior from new york

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2003

Strengths:    The pedals, are light, excellent bearings, and strong as rocks

Bottom Line:
excellent pedals, tough as nails, took a few spills on my bike and the pedals got hit quite hard on some cement, and took the blow like a real champ...i would offer these to anyone whos willing to pay the money for some of the best pedals out there

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Similar Products Used:   Shimano DX (my other pedals)

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain "RM7" - wade simmons 2003 Marzocchi Monster 200mm, Mavic DeeMAx dh rims, Azonic seat, XTR everything (besides front duerallier which can only be LX), Easton cully pedals, race face north shore crank, marzocchi stem, Fox Vanilla Coil RC, Hayes HFX Mag HD Disc Brake '03, RAce Face stem and Handle bars, Maxxis highroller 2.7' and 2.5' tires

Submitted by tim from scotland

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2003

Strengths:    Look cool
Solid feeling (when new)
Grippy (until your first rocky ride)

Weaknesses:    Pins are too thin
Bearings develop play and o-rings wear out in no time
Expensive at full retail
They did tend to take more chunks out of me than other pedals

Bottom Line:
The pins are too thin and either bend or shear off at the merest sight of a rock. Bent pins have almost no grip. If they shear, you cant get them out. Result - less than no grip!

O-rings are supposed to stop pedal spinnning (i.e. when jumping) but they only last a few rides in Scottish conditions.

The bolt that compresses pedal body and bearings onto the o-ring is now done up to its tightest and the pedal still has side to side play

I agree with a previous reviewer. When new they feel fantastic but after 6 months or so you'll wish you'd bought something else.

If I'd paid full retail, I'd be inconsolable.

Purchased At:   chain reaction

Similar Products Used:   DMR V8/V12, plain old pedals

Submitted by Darius Teter a Weekend Warrior from Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2002

Strengths:    Looked kind of cool

Weaknesses:    Pins can't take the punishment and eventually bend, making it impossible to adjust them. Internals - spindle and bearings are weak.

Bottom Line:
I noticed that most of the reviews here were written after a few months or less. Had I written a review when I first bought this product it would have been similarly positive. But I've been running these for more than a year and they suck. All the pins are bent over even though I ride only in soft-soled sneakers. Last week on a generic hill grind I start hearing popping and grinding sounds from the right pedal. On close inspection I saw that the pedal body had 1 cm of lateral play - it was basically coming off hte spindle. Spindle connection to the crank was fine - not loose. The large screw on the outside edge of the body, which holds it to the spindle, was firm. The friggin internals jst broke, plain and simple. I;ve never used these pedals for real jumping, only technical steep DH style runs and a lot of more mellow rides. Pedlas this expensive should not die after just one year. They get one stinking dog poop only.

Favorite Trail:   Hangaid Forest Loop

Purchased At:   Velo City Bikes, Manila, Philippines

Similar Products Used:   A bunch

Bike Setup:   Joker, all the goodies.

Submitted by Erskine Smith a Weekend Warrior from Newbury Park, Ca

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2002

Strengths:    High quality, great grip, durability, sealed bearing, sweet looks!

Weaknesses:    Price?? (But you gotta' pay for quality right?)

Bottom Line:
I've only had them a few days, but I love them! Very very grippy. Very comfortable. Wear shin guards if you value your skin! They are kinda pricey. I found a good deal on them. If you buy them, you'll love them.

Favorite Trail:   Any local trail

Purchased At:   www.bikesmart.com

Similar Products Used:   Kore, Shimano DX

Bike Setup:   Giant AC1, Rock Shox Deluxe, Shiver', Hayes, Race Face, Titec, Easton, ME!

Submitted by joel cote landry a Weekend Warrior from granby quebec canada

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2002

Strengths:    looks awsome , low prifile , donot spin alot ! , grips like hell , pins are changeble , GRIPS ! , GRIPS!! , GRIPS!!!....

Weaknesses:    SAY WHAT!!!

Bottom Line:
these are the sickest pedals , even bender rides with them , buy some and get in the beat , never slip off your pedals , never crash beacause you sliped and WEAR SHINE PADS CAUSE elese see you at the hospital!!

Favorite Trail:   bomerang

Purchased At:   momo sports

Similar Products Used:   shimano dx , welgo dh , 24 , welgo normal , axiom , noname dh , shimano dh , ...

Bike Setup:   kona roast ,, jrt 5' , easton cully , truvativ husseeflt dh , xtr , hayes dh , ....

Submitted by Andrew from Fariport

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2002

Strengths:    They are like superglue
Look sweet
Dont spin...alot

Bottom Line:
def sweet, but they are expensive, im just lucky to find a great deal, $60....cant get ne better that that!

Favorite Trail:   anything unpaved

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   Giant AC Air, valilla RC, cully's, titec hell bent,mrp mini me front chain ring, XTR rear, hayes hydrolic discs, WTB 2.4 Motorapters

Submitted by pete a Weekend Warrior from england

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2002

Strengths:    strong
sealed bearings
look sweet in black

Weaknesses:    i damaged an axel within the first week, but i got it fixed and have had no further problems

Bottom Line:
great pedals, bit expensive, i got them half price which makes them better value for money.

Purchased At:   chainreaction.com

Similar Products Used:   DMR v8's, Grays

Bike Setup:   cove sfiffee fr, zi drop offs, sun singletrack rims, hope hubs and disks, raceface bits

Submitted by rei nic a Weekend Warrior from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2001

Strengths:    Looks, quality and comfort

Bottom Line:
I'm not good on clipless and I bought the DX's first which are quite good but hurt the soles of my feet after a while. The Cully's are IMO the best looking platforms out there so I got a pair hoping they'd be better than the DX's. They are. My feet feel much better and the longer pins keep my feet planted in the most comfortable position. I've already gashed my shin on the pins but that was my fault - I'll just need to be careful. I was surprised by how much more care Easton have taken manufacturing the Cully's compared to the DX's. I'm very happy with them and think they are worth the price.

Favorite Trail:   Tai Hang

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   Shimano DX platforms

Bike Setup:   Porsche

Submitted by H from UK

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2001

Strengths:    Does not apply to this

Weaknesses:    Ditto

Bottom Line:
I see lots of references to pain with these pedals. So here's a tip.

This is fairly easy to circumvent if you don't mind slightly reduced grip - the fact is that even some shinpads cannot fully stop the impact of those long pins with flesh.

Go to your local hardware store, and if you show them one of the strangely non-hex head pins, and say 'please can i have a shorter one', hey presto he or she will probably have a grub screw to fit in stock, albeit with a hex head.

I hope that helps to reduce your pain. BTW, I also rate it highly and think it costs too much.

Cheers