Home | Reviews | Pedal | DMR

DMR V12 Mag Pedal

3.67/5 (3 Reviews)

DMR V12 Mag Diamond pedals share allThe characteristics ofThe standard V12 butThe Magnesium body sheds 30% ofThe weight. A full compliment of replaceableTraction pins 30% lighterThan standard V12 Double concave pedal body provides great control and stability Sealed cartridge bearings and hardened CroMoly Axle PedalType: Platform Intended Use: DH/Freeride Material: Magnesium Pedal Spindle: 9/16" Material (Spindle): CroMo The white pedals have a gold cap

Submitted by Luke

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2012

Strengths:    Light, rugged and really grippy.

Weaknesses:    Paint scratches off, no other faults found so far.

Bottom Line:
Bought a pair along with the Ti axle kit. Amazing grip and very light. With the lighter axles I beleive they were down at 174g a pedal.

Submitted by Teton29er a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2012

Strengths:    Seems like the perfect size and amount of grip. Sheds mud well, nice concave feel. Price and quality level is perfect-Not a cheap heavy peddle, or crazy expensive peddle.

Weaknesses:    Very minor complaint--Allen head pins fill with dirt. I think I'd rather have solid pins, even if not replaceable.

Bottom Line:
After 3 decades of thinking I "had" to be attached to the peddles, I put some DMR V8's on my winter mountain bike. I couldn't believe how much I like the freedom using ANY footwear, not slipping off all while having plenty of support. Then this spring put on the lighter V12-Mags on my hardtail, and that sealed the deal. Platforms are for me. I like having footwear that doesn't feel like dress shoes when it's time to hike a bike. I like the speed of mounting and dismounting. I like having more vibration absorption under my feet, I like not fussing with separate shoes for driving to the trailhead. I like ditching the bike and scrambling up a rock outcrop for a view without risking my life.

I feel these platforms hit the price point just right. They are only a few bucks more than heavier models, but not so spendy that if I trash them next month I'll be crying.

Similar Products Used:   DMR V8

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Vertex

Submitted by biggrumble a Weekend Warrior from Cambridge, MA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight, good looking, incredible grip, durable pedal body, butter-smooth bearings

Weaknesses:    Threads for pins are weak, causing pins to rip out and strip upon impacts with rocks.

Bottom Line:
These pedals are incredibly grippy, the consequence being that your shins will get turned to hamburger if your shin contacts the pedal pins. Pedal body seems pretty durable. However, if you spend a fair bit of time in rock gardens, when you pedal strike the pins will frequently rip out of their threads, taking the threads with them (as well as bits and pieces of the pedal around the thread, making re-tapping frequently not an option). I've ridden about 50 hours on these pedals, and about a third of the pins are now missing. Contrasting to the Odyssey Twisted Pedals, which weren't as grippy but never lost pins; however on those the pedal cracked upon a hard pedal strike on a rock. In conclusion, great if you want incredible grip and don't spend a lot of time dealing with rocks, not so great if you value scar-free shins and play around in rock gardens.

Favorite Trail:   Harold Parker