Crank Brothers Smarty Pedal

2.15/5 (80 Reviews)
Weight : 282 grams MSRP : $60.00

Crank Brothers Smarty Clipless Pedals. Easy entry and exit. Ideal for Mountain, Spin or road cycling. Lightweight and clean look.

Submitted by Rafzi

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2014

Strengths:    Look nice. Small platform. Brand. Cheap.

Weaknesses:    Durability - none to speak of.

Bottom Line:
Stay away. Buy a used Candy C instead.

Bought new, cheaply, to continue to use Crank's egg beater system on another bike, mainly to use for commuting. Lasted 3 weeks on my bike. 2 weeks of very light MTB and one week of commuting. All in sunny and dry weather. About 600-700 km. After two weeks I noticed that caps have fallen off, but since the weather was good (no rain or mud) I never worried. Following return from holiday, I used them for commuting (still beatiful weather). On the 5th day of commute left pedal came off the crank in my shoe. Bearings seized completely and pedal unscrewed itself. Fortunately this was on a bicycle path and I stayed on top of the bike sustaining only a very slight injury from hitting the crank.

I like eggbeater system. But use something else tna Smarty. Used Candy C with loose bearings with quite a big wobble cost me a fraction and already lasted four times longer. Still going strong on commuter. I am also quite happy with eggbeater 1 and eggbeater 2.

Submitted by gussandabbydaddy a Weekend Warrior from FLorida

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2011

Strengths:    Easy to use for a first timer, easy to install, available color schemes nice as well...Light weight

Weaknesses:    may lack durability, however I seem to have done much better than most have lasted 300 miles so far. also platforms seem kinda useless way to slick, or at least with the Bontrager Mtn race shoes...

Bottom Line:
Seemed like a good way to start clippin in... so far been satisified. for the price paid you cannot replace the cleats for this so if and when i need to upgrade I will likley stick with a better version of them...

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock Disc Pro, 34LB tank, Kenda Kross tires. wireless computer

Submitted by tnkntx a Cross Country Rider from Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to get in

Weaknesses:    Sometimes hard to get out of, short life

Bottom Line:
These pedals came with my bike and lastest almost exactly one year, around 900 miles. For the price, if you have to get something cheap, this would be a good option. But the bearings seized after a year suddenly on a ride and the pedal came unscrewed. Which could have been a bad situation :) There were times when trying to release from the pedal, the cleat would be in just the right spot to get trapped in the platform and I couldn't release.

Purchased At:   Came on the bike

Submitted by mattman a Racer from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2010

Strengths:    Simple design, very easy to clip in and out of, hold up great on muddy trails.

Weaknesses:    They wear out fast. I tend to unclip with my right foot and as a result the right pedal is way loose compared to the left pedal. Over the course of a year, they have also taken numerous hits against rocks which now causes them to rattle.

Bottom Line:
Good for learning and casual riders. Really cheap too. Not so great for serious riders or people who ride on technical trails because they wear out quickly and get damaged easily from bumping into obstacles. I will be upgrading shortly.

Purchased At:   Trek Store

Similar Products Used:   None, first clipless pedal set.

Bike Setup:   08 Gary Fisher Hifi

Submitted by 3cballs a Weekend Warrior from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2010

Strengths:    They hold you clipped in, easily sheds mud.

Weaknesses:    The most difficult pedals to clip-out of. I have never fallen so much.

Bottom Line:
Buy something else, these are dangerous in my opinion. These pedals came as stock equipment on a new Cannondale Rize 3 that I bought 3-months ago. I have fallen dozens of times, a few hard falls too. These Crank Brother pedals offer no adjustment to tension and are just too difficult to clip-out of (I have the cuts/bruises to prove it).

I contact Crank Brothers (CB's) customer service to see if this was an ongoing issue (as is reported w/ CB's Candy pedals) and what could be done. CB's told me, "We can rebuild your pedals for you, or we offer an upgrade program. It costs $39.00 for EB or Candy C or $69.00 for EB or Candy SL upgrade." They did not address the issue of not being able to clip-out.

I am buying new shimano clipless pedals, and may upgrade to Egg Beaters... mo $ may = same problems.

Purchased At:   uptown cycles, charl

Similar Products Used:   Various shimano clipless pedals.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rize 3.

Submitted by melt616 a Cross Country Rider from Willoughby, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2010

Strengths:    Strength, Durability, mud shedding, ease of exit, value

Weaknesses:    difficult entry

Bottom Line:
Excellent value, $40 or so new. Very good performance, stays clipped in on most strikes, bomb proof. No pedal is super easy to clip out of, that is just the nature of the type of pedals, if you want a sure way to un-clip buy platform pedals and enjoy the pedal strikes to the shin and still trying to get up the hill when I am half way down. You are going to fall, get over it. These pedals are difficult to find the engagement point for entry though. I would recommend them for someone on a budget, otherwise spend twice the money and get the new Candy 2//'s

Favorite Trail:   Hog Back Ridge

Purchased At:   from friend

Similar Products Used:   XPedo, Time

Bike Setup:   Bikes direct 29r

Submitted by jireland a Cross Country Rider from Burlington, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2010

Strengths:    Easy clip out
Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Difficult clip-in
Heal of right foot can hit the crank arm due to inconsistent float on cleat

Bottom Line:
These pedals came with my bike and I decided to give them a try before simply replacing them with SPD. I have been riding SPD for over a year and found SPD to be very easy in and out and the shimano build quality to be excellent.
I found the cleats to be very small and I needed to use the shims to raise the cleat so it would clip in at all. Clipping out was smooth and pretty easy, but getting clipped in took way too much concentration. Clipping in with the foot pointed down at 30 to 45 degrees worked best, but this is not ideal since once one foot is clipped in, this angle is hard to perform with the non-clipped in foot. Once clipped in I found the left foot was more or less stable but the right foot could float in towards the crank arm and make contact with the crank. The cleat was adjusted but to no avail. The platform is likely the problem, and the fact that the "eggbeater" can rotate independently of the platform, which can produce pedal positions which are harder or easier to get into. This pedal is also not easy to clip out of going downhill, since the downward clip-in angle is being simulated when riding downhill. For a beginner, avoid these pedals and learn on shimano SPD. They are much better value and much more consistent. SPD-M520 cost about the same and work much better.

Favorite Trail:   Kelso

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD-M520

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC Alliance

Submitted by fgrcl a Weekend Warrior from Chile

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2010

Strengths:    Value, platform, Crank Brothers system, warranty.

Weaknesses:    The end caps fall and they start to feel loose. My first pair got broken in less than a year.

Bottom Line:
This was my first set of clipless pedals. I learned quickly to use them and the Crank Brothers system is very reliable under almost any condition. Most of my friends use SPDs and sometimes they can't get into their pedals or even out of them (ouch!) in muddy conditions. That has never happened to me.

But the Smarties are not made to last, they start to feel loose after a few weeks and it's a funny sensation in my feet. In my first pair, a spring broke and i had to come back home riding them as platforms. But i took them off the bike and went to the store to complain and they replaced them under warranty.

I think they were a good pedal set to learn riding clipless. If you learn to ride in them, there is no reason to go SPD. And since the Smarties have a small platform, I can ride them with regular shoes for short rides.

It's over a year now and this second pair feels loose, so i'll upgrade them to Candy C soon.

Oh, and I'm also starting to build a fancier bike for my bigger rides. I'm getting it a brand new pair of Candy 2Ti.

Favorite Trail:   Sendero de Chile

Purchased At:   SportXperts - Sntiag

Similar Products Used:   None so far

Bike Setup:   A weird mixture of fancier components on a Jamis Ranger SX frame.

Submitted by smokey a Cross Country Rider from exeter, nh

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2010

Strengths:    light, inexpensive

Weaknesses:    can be difficult to release

Bottom Line:
i thought i would give these a try b/c they are light weight and cheap. i also wanted to try out eggbeater style pedals. i thought the plastic might be a problem but it has held up fine. the problem i have is that one of the pedals is at times very difficult to release and has caused a few falls. i don't know if the candy's suck this bad (they look to be pretty much the same but with better materials). the 2 worst bike products i have ever purchased were these pedals and a crank bros pump which fell apart before inflating a single tire. i plan on going back to shimano.

Favorite Trail:   fort rock

Similar Products Used:   shimano spd

Bike Setup:   marin hardtail, mavic, xt, bb7, thomson

Submitted by quietcornerrider a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2009

Strengths:    Easy clip in, inexpensive, good design

Weaknesses:    Small Platform, Needs Servicing Often

Bottom Line:
A good entry level pedal for occasional riding, but I find myself servicing them about once every six months. I actually don't mind it, as I love working on bikes, but for someone who wants a worry free pedal, you might want to consider an upgrade. Clips in easily, durable cleats, good overall performance. I will probably go back to the Shimano XT SPDs when these wear out, but that might take a while. It seems with regular (albeit frequent) servicing, these things go on forever. I got them in 2004 and they're still kicking. I took off 2 chilis for overall rating just because of the frequent servicing.

Purchased At:   performancebike.com

Similar Products Used:   XT SPDs, Forte Pedals

Submitted by desolder a Weekend Warrior from Pleasanton, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap
Stylish with replaceable colored inserts
Small platform for when you don't want to be clipped in
Easy in/out

Weaknesses:    The cup and cone bearings tend to come loose and need to be periodically tightened. Otherwise, disaster will ensue.

Bottom Line:
I bought these as a cheap introduction to clipless pedals. Several friends recommended eggbeater style pedals, and I saw these were the cheapest, so I figured I would try them out. If I had known how negative the reviews were on MTBR, I probably would not have bought them. However, I found that these pedals are not so bad as long as you keep the bearings properly tightened. Unfortunately the plastic end caps which cover the bearings are difficult to remove, so bearing adjustment is a real pain. The similar looking Candy pedals are much more easily serviced, and they use cartridge bearings. Bottomlike - if you want an eggbeater with a small platform, get the Candy's instead.

Favorite Trail:   Pleasanton Ridge

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   None. This is my first clipless pedal.

Bike Setup:   GT Marathon 3.0 stock except for these pedals.

Submitted by Natedogz a Cross Country Rider from CA

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2009

Strengths:    Great design as far as the cleat, spring, and release system.

Weaknesses:    Utter CRAP that was loose, gritty, and floppy after only 4 rides in dry summer weather. Completely shot after only 10 rides and didn't think I'd make it home on the last ride, they were flopping around and making clicking noise so bad!

Bottom Line:
Don't buy this JUNK! Crank Brothers has a great idea, but these pedals are made like crap. Buy their Candy C or better models only.

Favorite Trail:   singletrack

Purchased At:   New from friend

Similar Products Used:   CB Candy, far superior product that uses same great basic design but carried through with much better components.

Bike Setup:   Several

Submitted by Damo 29er SS a Racer from Australia

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2009

Strengths:    light weight
colour!

Weaknesses:    They dont cope with SS and uphills!!!!!

Bottom Line:
Dont buy em if you ride hard, uphill or single speed

Favorite Trail:   one tree hill loop

Purchased At:   on line

Submitted by onato a Cross Country Rider from Austria

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2009

Strengths:    Easy to clip in.

Weaknesses:    They broke apart during the second ride.

Bottom Line:
After the second ride one pedal fell apart sending ball bearings through the bush and rendering the pedals irreparable.

I contacted Crankbrothers but they didn't seem to be able, or want, to offer an explanation choosing instead to tell me that they are an "economical option". I don't think $50 for less than two rides is very economical at all.

I really would have liked to continue riding crankbrothers but I don't want to risk my pedals causing me to crash.

Submitted by jon a Racer from NY, NY

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap, smart design in principle, no mud problems, reasonably light.

Weaknesses:    Engagement and release just sucks. I have been riding clipless for many years, and I just couldn't get the engagement motion down on these, and the release always felt sloppy and inconsistent.

Bottom Line:
Everyone raves about Eggbeaters and their kin, so I couldn't figure out why I just couldn't get down with these. After months of assuming there was something wrong with me or that the pedals just needed to break in or something, one day I borrowed a friend's bike with Eggbeaters, and was dumbfounded by how easy they were to get in and out of. Either the internals of these are not as solid as Eggbeaters, or something about that platform screws up the engagement and release. I have replaced these with Eggbeaters and haven't looked back.

Favorite Trail:   Cyclocross!