Crank Brothers Mallet M Pedal

2-sided pedal with 4-sided entry, large magnesium platform and chromoly spindle
  • platform: magnesium
  • wings: carbon steel
  • spindle: chromoly
  • armor / traction plates: stainless steel. replaceable; extra set included with longer teeth for more traction
  • warranty: 2 years
  • stack height: 15.2mm
  • release angle: 15 or 20 degrees, variable with cleat placement
  • cleats: standard egg beater cleats. 1 pair included with pedals.
  • core egg beater technology: simple, reliable design, 4-sided entry, excellent mud clearance, inherently light-weight, easy to maintain and rebuild
  • colors: silver, orange

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by M_K a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2009

Strengths:    Large Platform, easy in and out, retention

Weaknesses:    Bearings, seals.

Bottom Line:
    I've had these since 2004. You have to repack them with grease every 1-2 months to keep them running reliably. I only found this out after realizing that I had worn the body where it meets the spindle, which developed into a bit of extra play. Now they are on my winter commuting bike and the large platform is very useful in these conditions, since I don't always have the luxury of ensuring that I've clipped in.

Compared to Shimano, I'd say that Shimano offers better bearings, but a retention system that doesn't equal the Mallet.

Purchased At:   Mountain Equipment C

Similar Products Used:   SPDs

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Santaquin, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2008

Strengths:    Ease of entry and release
    mud shedding
    Ride clipless or just on platform

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
    I love these pedals! I went clipless with the Time ATAC and found them VERY difficult to get out of. As a result I found myself on the ground more times than I care to remember. The Crank Brothers pedals are VERY easy to get in and out of and as a result I have found my old, reckless self out on the trail again. I love these pedals and would recommend them to anyone!

Favorite Trail:   Blackhawk

Purchased At:   bikenashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   Time ATAC Alium

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR XC

Submitted by Jon Benner a Cross Country Rider from Antwerp, NY USA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2008

Strengths:    Low weight
    Great construction
    proven and reliable eggbeater clipless interface
    Great tracktion

Weaknesses:    Need more color choices!
    Would have been nice to ship with an extra set of pins

Bottom Line:
    This is a review for the newest 2008 Mallet 2 models.
    I was curious how much I'd like these pedals before ordering. I wanted something I could ride with normal street shoes while playing around in my pump track and around town. I also wanted a clipless pedal with a low weight. So my options were a little limited. I have rode Eggbeaters for 3 years now and I will likely never ride anything else.
    These pedals are great because for their size they're very light weight. I'm happy with the traction in regular shoes. You can notice the Eggbeater a little but it's not that troublesome. While clipping in I found I needed one shim to make my current shoes work. After the shim I was golden. It's a solid interface with a little more area for my feet. I love these pedals so far!

Purchased At:   Blueskycycling.com

Similar Products Used:   Eggbeater SL pedals
    Quattro SL road pedals

Bike Setup:   KHS Solo one, Sun rims, Kenda tires, Avid BB7 185/160mm, flak jacket, speed dial SL setup, Rockshox Duke SL fork..

Submitted by Brad a Weekend Warrior from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2008

Strengths:    Very light, eggbeater design, sheds mud, good traction pins

Weaknesses:    the pins are either too low to ride with regular shoes or too high to ride clipless

Bottom Line:
    I have yet to use them clipless because my shoes don't work too well with them. You have to have shoes with not a lot of tread sticking out or else they don't clip in. These are very light and shed mud like nothing. I have heard great reviews about the eggbeater system, but for now I like them with just regular shoes. The adjustable pins are great, mine are way out so they grip to my shoes very nice. I like these a lot, and eventually I will use the clipless part. I have the 2008 mallet 2's, which are somewhat different from the 2007 mallet m's. If you could not adjust the pins (like the 07's) they would not be very good with regular shoes. the butterfly sticks up too much in the middle, making that what your shoe will touch. you can ride them around town, but if you are doing serious mtbing this would not work very well with the 2007's. These are great for clipless and platforms, just make sure you get the 2008's with the adjustable pins.

Similar Products Used:   cheapos, shimano 545s

Bike Setup:   XC

Submitted by Knotty boy a Downhiller from Australia

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2008

Strengths:    light, large platform, ability drag your foot backwards to clip in.

Weaknesses:    Very weak, design flaw that has the bars exposed on the under side of the pedal

Bottom Line:
    I've used these pedals for about 2 years now and feel I've given them a good enough go. I first had a pair of Mallet C's and clipped the underside of them on a rock. This resulted in one of the clip in bars snapping. Once I thought was just bad luck, but I brought a pair of Mallet M's from a friend and now have 3 out of 4 pedals broken with the same problem. I only ride downhill and obviously in rocky places. If the impact is light enough that I don't crash and fall off my bike then I expect the pedal to be able to handle it. I like giving something different a try, but will go back to Shimano which can take a lot more abuse and have a more positive action with adjustable spring tension. Crank bros are great if you are sponsored and get pedals in packs of ten.

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Giant Glory DH

Submitted by Bomber a Weekend Warrior from Columbus, Ohio

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2008

Strengths:    Theyre eggbeaters

Weaknesses:    None that I have witnessed

Bottom Line:
    This is a great product. As for those who have had issues with bearings, then sorry about your luck. You run the same risk as everyone else getting a bad bearing. Bearing are manufactured by other companies, not the pedal manufacturer. So, if the pedal company is using a second rate bearing, then shame on them. But it costs $5 at the most to replace the bearings. For the guy who had peices of his bearing get stuck on the inside of his pedal, go buy an o'ring remover. It should be small enough and strong enough to clean out any debris. As for this pedal and the product its been great. I dont use it much for cross country, because of its size. I found the pedal would get in the way (Come into contact with more stuff on the trail) when pedaling. The Eggbeater SL's are great and dont hit anything on the trail. This pedal is great for first timers to the Clipless world due to the huge platform. Thats why I bought them. Once I got use to clipless pedals I bought the eggbeaters.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa

Purchased At:   On line

Similar Products Used:   Eggbeater SL

Bike Setup:   Turner 5 Spot

Submitted by Jeremy Blanchard a Downhiller from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2007

Strengths:    Solid platform with clip in, solid positive engagement. handles knocks well.

Weaknesses:    none so far except maybe not so light.

Bottom Line:
    These pedals really do it for me. I have tried with flatties but these give me aer ally assured feeling. i have run them trouble free on three different bikes for over a year and so far no issue. I run them for XC trails and more agressive Trails, DH's and they are excellent, despite many contacts with Terra Firmer they are still running well.

Favorite Trail:   Tai Mo Shan

Purchased At:   Bicycle World

Similar Products Used:   shimano, egg beaters.

Bike Setup:   SC Nomad Van/ DHX Coil & SC Chameleon ZI Light & SC VP Free 888RCX2

Submitted by Ray a Weekend Warrior from Puyallup, WA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2007

Strengths:    Reliable, strong.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    This is my third set of pedals from Crank Bros. I've liked them so much I keep putting them on my bikes. Started with the eggbeaters, and switched to the mallet c's about two years ago. Just got a new 29er and put on the Mallet M's. Not much mileage on these yet, but I have 100's & 100's on the eggbeaters and Mallet C's.
    These pedals have been very robust and can take a ton of hard use / abuse. I am surprised to read that others have had them break??? I'm just over 200 pounds and have never had a problem with these. Lots of jumps / drops, lot's of miles in mud and grit, no issues.

Favorite Trail:   skookum flats

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Mallet C, Eggbeater

Submitted by Fabricio Fracchia a Weekend Warrior from Caracas,Venezuela

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2006

Strengths:    Hold very good if you want to ride without clipless shoes, good movement of the foot when clipped in

Weaknesses:    I can't say nothing bad about them, I used in my all mountain in agresive riding and only suffered one damaged to one of the for side clips, but the CB warranty covered.

Bottom Line:
    the problem was solved so good that the broken clip is nothing, the guys there are awesome.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   Airbomb

Similar Products Used:   shimano , time

Bike Setup:   SC Blur LT, Talas 36RC2, RP3, full XT.

Submitted by Mr.ED a Weekend Warrior from Canuck

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2006

Strengths:    Very forgiving to get back in and out.Mud and snow are a joke for these pedals.By the way maintenance is very easy but frequent if you don`t want premature wear.I ryde Bromont a lot and Rigaud`s( secret trails )These pedals are good,Period

Weaknesses:    Wears fast (cleats)but extremely precise (once cleats are set properly,trim,shim and patience.)

Bottom Line:
    Bottom line is I`m a great mechanic and anything that gets abused will not last forever and high end stuff demands higher end maintenance .Or find a good shop and stop winning and RYDE .

Similar Products Used:   Shimano all the way since forever.they never fail but don`t clip in mud and snow

Bike Setup:   03`Devinci Banzai very well tuned and modified

Submitted by ben a Racer from sydney

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2006

Strengths:    versatility, work well when new, light for this type pedal

Weaknesses:    same as last reviewer in the my bearing cartridge blew up and has left a small fragment in the pedal so i cant install new bearings so all i can do is throw the pedal away

Bottom Line:
    i wasnt going to write this review, but it seems to be a repeating prob with me having the exact same issue as previous reviewer.
    at first i thought tis pedal was great due to the versatility of using with clipless shoes or just riding on thre street in sports shoes, its jst a shame they dont hold together for an acceptable amount of time
    my bearings blew without warning, seems to be a manufacturing problem as its not a on off.

Favorite Trail:   western commision track

Bike Setup:   santa cruz blur, xtr build f100x

Submitted by johnny h from uk

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2006

Strengths:    weight

Weaknesses:    reliability

Bottom Line:
    these pedals work well when new but they soon show their weakness. theyve been back to the shop twice and are about to go back again. first time the bearings collapsed and the second time it was the clip-in (eggbeater) system went tits-up ! peaty must have a new pair every ride !
    at least they come with a two year warranty and the servie from the distributors (2 pure ) has been excellent.

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Bike Setup:   5 spot

Submitted by San Juan a Cross Country Rider from Durango

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2006

Strengths:    I never really liked these things.

Weaknesses:    My right pedal spontaneoulsy flew off my bike after about 3 months.

Bottom Line:
    Having a pedal come off your bike can be pretty frightening... especially considering what would have happened if I didn't stop on the downhill I was riding. I stopped because the pedal felt wierd, and it came right off. These pedals are not tough, and they have no real positive engagement. They were over-hyped, and they are not a good pedal.

Favorite Trail:   The CT of course

Submitted by Matt Locher a Weekend Warrior from Zürich Swizterland

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2006

Strengths:    easy to get into the pedals, nice concept, weight

Weaknesses:    !!stength!! I mounted those pedals on my Spezialised Enduro bike and after using them about 10 times, one pedal just broke (the spindel broke) while i was riding a steep uphill. This freakde me out - I also have those pedals on my downhill bike. I exchanged everything to Shimano.

my weight is 230lbs muscle not fat but a pedal should still hold up....!

Bottom Line:
    They have a serious design safety issue

Favorite Trail:   single trails with flow

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Submitted by Justin a Weekend Warrior from St. Louis, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2005

Strengths:    The first time anyone got platform/clipless right, smooth release, very comfortable to ride, and great grip without cleats for technical stuff and around campus.

Weaknesses:    Tricky to clip into (I'm a novice, but SPD's were still easier), overly fluorescent orange paint is pretty much chalk.

Bottom Line:
    This is my one and only bike, so I needed pedals that work for XC and around campus, and these fit the bill. Great grip when you need it, even with street shoes, and the egg beater mechanism stays out of the way. The flip side is that it's hard to find when you need it, and I'm still not entirely used to clipping in. Ride quality is great and release is very natural after a few embarrassing crashes. Heavy suckers, even in the pricy magnesium version, but big surprise. Overall, I'd rather have stable, comfortable, easy to escape pedals than super light deathtraps.

Purchased At:   Ebay!