Crank Brothers Mallet C Pedal

• easy entry and exit
  • spd® compatible*
  • fully rebuildable
  • excellent 2 year warranty
  • superior mud shedding design
  • chromoly spindle, aluminum platform, carbon steel wings

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by BRSbiker a Downhiller from PA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2011

Strengths:    Worked for a day

Weaknesses:    The peddles work for the first day and never worked after that. They did not get broken riding and when I called crankbrothers tech. support they could care less about what I was saying. Switch to shimano they work so much better!

Bottom Line:
    Worst peddle on the market switch to shimano!

Favorite Trail:   Anthing downhill

Purchased At:   indycycles

Similar Products Used:   5.10 Greg Minnar

Bike Setup:   Glory 00

Submitted by Turkeyfrankfurter7-11 a Racer from Paradise/magalia, CA USA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2010

Strengths:    I liked this pedal due to the fact I could ride it without having to put my mtb shoes on all the time. it was easy to clip in. It lasted for almost 2 years. Easy on the knees when comparing to shimanos.

Weaknesses:    The bearing on the left pedal went south about a year into it. It still rode good, but it didn't spin freely very well. it didn't affect my cycling whatsoever. I had read about this being an issue, but wanted to give these pedals a whirl anyway. non servicable. It did break finally and luckily i wasn't in too far and only had to hike it out about 3 miles. It sheared off like many other people have had happen. I was amazed by that. They don't grip to your shoe that great when unclipped, but i was still able to hit jumps un clipped and stick the landings. I beat these up and they held up for 2 years almost! Oh and they are slippery when wet! Oh and you can't tighten the clip.

Bottom Line:
    for what i paid, i got 2 summers at northstar and downieville and my secret trails near p town just about every day out of them. I was happy with these pedals, just bummed that they finally gave in. I may even buy them again, but now i'm in shopping mode and i'm just seeing what else is out there. My buddy has some shimano 50/50s and i may go that route, we'll see. I like the floatness in the pedals on my knees. It doesn't bind them up like the shimanos do.

Favorite Trail:   secret stash

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   shimanos, oldschool voda/vovas whatever they are! 2 piece shimanos and 1 piecers. and these crank bros flats/clips.

Bike Setup:   devinci jalapeno free ride which i love. i don't care if you can ride your hardtail faster than me!!

Submitted by willtsmith_nwi a Weekend Warrior from Valparaiso, IN

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2010

Strengths:    The concave platform design is #1 in it's class as gives you three points of contact on the shoe. It's easy to get in and out of these once you get used to them.

Weaknesses:    They are dangerously unreliable. I lost count of the number of axles I snapped from XC riding. I was putting off switching because all my pedals were some variety of Egg Beaters. The final snapped axle directly resulted in a separated shoulder.

Besides dangerously crappy metallurgy, the seals on this and the Acid pedal are horrible. The rebuild kits don't even come with all the parts you need to completely reseal the pedal.

One set came with the wrong size allen key interface.

Bottom Line:
    Crank Brothers will replace their low quality parts, but they can't replace my busted shoulder. Thank you for that Crank Brothers. It was my mistake to think that such clever designers would be teamed with such poor manufacturing and quality control.

By now the poor quality of Crank Brothers products draws is legendary on the boards. I will never by ANY Crank Brothers part again. They simply don't understand that a part failure in action is potentially dangerous to the health of the user.

Think twice before you buy a Crank Brothers product.

Favorite Trail:   Outback Trail

Purchased At:   Doesn't matter

Similar Products Used:   Time ATAC (now)

Bike Setup:   Karate Money XT/X9 build.

Submitted by dirtdawg21892 a Weekend Warrior from new england

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2009

Strengths:    platform as well as clip, i stand up and crank hard on the platform and it works fine (as long as it's not wet)

Weaknesses:    paint on platform scratched of by cleats on first ride

Bottom Line:
    awesome pedal, just keeps going. even after my friend's sister backed over my bike, putting the pedal through the pavement they worked fine. the aluminum bash gaurds were smashed off both sides last season, and they dont have much paint on them, but they still work well. the springs have loosend, but after 2 years what do you want? (my times were toast after just one season) buy them if you want to be able to take your bike out without putting your cleats on for a spin down the road.

Favorite Trail:   sledgehamer, highland mountain

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   Crank Bros. candy, time clips

Bike Setup:   '08 Santa Cruz Bullit and '05 jamis dakar xc pro (i run them on both)

Submitted by TexK a Weekend Warrior from Tampa

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2009

Strengths:    Durability, ease of use, wide platform

Weaknesses:    Cleat wear

Bottom Line:
    These are fantastic pedals. I have used these for almost five years now from the Sierra Nevadas, to New England and now down to Florida. They were a great pedal to start using and continue to suit all conditions. More than just their performance, Crank Brothers deserves huge credit for customer service. The only problem I have had was that I actually broke the metal 'egg beater', way past the warranty period. One call to Crank Brothers and they said send the pedals in. They not only fixed the part, but did the full 'spa' treatment on both pedals and replaced the spindles...all for free. Needless to say, I am Crank Brothers fan and will stick with them for the long haul.

Favorite Trail:   Downieville

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Haven't needed to use anything else

Bike Setup:   2004 Iron Horse Warrior Elite. Pedals on original Blaze crankset

Submitted by Wozzich a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2009

Strengths:    Good solid platform, looks the business.

Weaknesses:    After about two months of daily riding to work they started to click and creak, even after a rebuld. Also had a few inital clipping in issues.

Bottom Line:
    I got these with the idea of having a platform so if I need to ride to the shops for milk and bread I don't have to put my shoes on. But I think they're designed for big hits and hard riding not big mileage.

Favorite Trail:   Remaka Track

Purchased At:   Torpedo7

Similar Products Used:   Time Atac for about 8 years, ended up a bit creaky.

Bike Setup:   Ghost 5000SE hardtail running slicks one the daily ride and various off road tyres.

Submitted by brontotx a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2009

Strengths:    Platform (sorta if you don't mind the hump from the egg beaters) in addition to clipless

Weaknesses:    WEAK! I've broken three axles in two years. I am a 280 lb clyde and put down a lot of power, so perhaps I am at the edge of the design limit, although there is no published weight limit for these pedals. CB customer service is great and replace the axles quickly at no charge, but I am fortunate to not have gored my ankle on the stubs. Plus, I had to walk out about a mile and a half the last time an axle broke.

Bottom Line:
    Since CB just rebuilt mine, I'm selling them on e-bay as I don't trust them to not break again. Going to try some Times.

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   Suntour XC-II beartraps

Bike Setup:   Karate Monkey 1X7

Submitted by jSatch a Weekend Warrior from SandyEggo, SoCal

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2009

Strengths:    Easy in-out clip
    Large, stable surface
    Customer Service

Weaknesses:    Heavy
    Needs pins

Bottom Line:
    This is a compromise product, and as such appeals to a large audience. Very good as a clip-in pedal, but probably too heavy for XC purists. Eggbeaters for them, possibly Candys.

Unclipped I didn't find this reassuring on small jumps or rough fast terrain where you'd want to be unclipped - too much slippage compared to flats. I think this may have been addressed in the newer models (1-3) that have pins, like good flats have. I hope so as it is the only weak point for me of this pedal. For my riding (trail/AM) this pedal is far superior to Candys or the old school spd/platforms I had before. I just can't see using it for FR or DH riders unless the slippage is addressed.

They are heavy, which is less an issue to me than how tough these things are.

As for customer service- couldn't be happier. One of the butterfly clips kept binding, eventually getting stuck. I thought I'd try the rebuild kit. Turns out the rebuild is for the bearings, but does nothing for the butterfly issue. So the rebuild did nothing. Second, as I had the kit, I thought I'd rebuild the the good pedal. Couldn't get the plastic cap off and stripped it. Tried drilling it out (resist the urge) but couldn't get all the plastic remains off the threads, so tried drilling the threads (could always glue a cap on), but still couldn't get to the axle lock nut.

Sent it to CB. They replaced the axle the butterfly rides on and somehow finished rebuilding my other pedal. They feel better than when they were new.
    Had the pedals back on the bike in about a week.

Charge for fixing my screw-ups: Zero.

I'd rate the pedals as 5 if not for the slippage when riding unclipped as it can be hazardous to your health- but this may be a moot point on the newer models with pins. Haven't tried them. So a point deduction on the 'overall' scoreboard for the C model.

I'd rate the customer service as exceptional. Something to think about when you drop 100+ dineros on pedals.

This pedal is a compromise, but probably the best on the market to date for trails/AM riding.

Favorite Trail:   Tunnels

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Candys, old red Shimano spd/platform, Flats

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler with wheels, brakes and other cool stuff

Submitted by Marcus a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2009

Strengths:    Four sided entry is very nice. GOOD platform. Very nice looking pdeal.

Weaknesses:    I have owned two pairs of these and on both pairs the coil spring broke within 6 months. Luckily performance has an excellent return policy. They replaced them at no cost.

Bottom Line:
    I really like this pedal design but remain miffed at the idea that they only last a few months before the spring brakes..I will give them another tru, if no next time I will go with a Shimano pedel.

Favorite Trail:   O.P. Schnabel

Purchased At:   Performance bike

Similar Products Used:   Shimano downhill pedels

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Cobia 29er.

Submitted by asanathema a Cross Country Rider from frostburg, md usa

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2009

Strengths:    crankbro's cleats. large platform. easy entry. cleats or no cleats. price.

Weaknesses:    paint durability, moderately easy to scuff off.

Bottom Line:
    I like these. A lot. I use a custom set of cycling shoes, and I didn't like the small platform of the SLs, especially when commuting in other shoes. the mallet c's a reasonably priced, have a great platform and clip in much easier. the paint does scuff, and unpracticed clip in attempts can chew up the body's metal. crushing this into rocks on a daily basis would tear them apart, that being said, they've survived a 20 foot slide down asphalt (avoiding a car) with only moderate damage. the traction plates have yet to be replaced and work. they shed mud and snow with ease. moderate abuse they can handle. for true DH i'd probably consider upgrading (if you like clipless) or just go with the 50/50s which i'm considering)
    3 value, if you can scuff off the paint just clipping in, in the house it's a little for it's retail price. 4 overall, you've got a wide platform and clipless. it's not pedaling for you but why would you want that? the could be a bit more robust for their weight as compared to the SLs.

Favorite Trail:   ft ord

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   db peak wellgo stock pedals (wide platform) crankbro's candy sl's (clipless)

Bike Setup:   Demo Epic Expert (starting to customize)

Submitted by kerbouchaud a Weekend Warrior from Port St. Lucie, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2009

Strengths:    Easy to clip in, super easy to clip out, and can be ridden unclipped

Weaknesses:    I've heard the weight is an issue, but at 200lbs I can shave the extra weight just by going to the bathroom.

Bottom Line:
    Great pedal for anyone that wants to ride clipped. You can unclip without thinking about it, and if you need to get going on a sketchy section after a dab you don't have to worry about clipping in, you just start pedaling and clip in when the terrain permits. I was just reviewing some video of me having a "yard sale" and I noticed that I was unlipping mid air and I don't even remember doing it. Conversly I have seen a lot of guys wearing SPD's upside down with their bike on top of them still trying to get unclipped.
    With the possible exception of Time ATAC's there is no better clipless pedal out there.

Favorite Trail:   Alafia River State Park

Similar Products Used:   Shimano spd's Azonic platforms, Crank Bros' Candy

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel Ex-8

Submitted by wes m. a Cross Country Rider from bay area

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2008

Strengths:    easy to clip in, dont need your mtb shoes for short trips, comfortable, tough so far, reasonably priced

Weaknesses:    heavy and ugly, two things I dont care much about

Bottom Line:
    I bought these pedals and two weeks later the spring jumped out of the eggbeater which led to the eggbeater getting stuck in the open position. I got them replaced no questions asked. The new pair is perfect.

As you can tell from my bike setup, I'm not a downhiller. I got these pedals so I could ride around campus without my mtb shoes or put my mtb shoes on and hit some single track. They are perfect for that purpose.

4/5 because I had to replace them.

Favorite Trail:   single track

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   plats, speedplay, toe clipped pedals

Bike Setup:   rigid steel ss 29er

Submitted by AzArmyPA a Weekend Warrior from Chandler, Az

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2008

Strengths:    awesome pedal with platform. I will put these pedals on a rock or stump and drive with them many times.

Weaknesses:    Early on couldn't clip out fast enough, lots of scars. Took my dremel grinding wheel to my Look MTB side shoe cleats. Awesome adjustment and no problems ever since. I suggest doing it to clear. Great for downhill as well, drops, etc....

Bottom Line:
    Best pedal by far. Cross country the candy or egg beater is fine but down hill or all mountain I like the platform. Never any problems after the cleat fix......do it....

Favorite Trail:   Mormon Loop/National

Purchased At:   online, ebay I think

Similar Products Used:   MTB Shimano, Performance knockoff shimanos, egg beater, and candy SE.

Bike Setup:   3 bikes, Fisher Rig 29r SS, FSR FS Stumpjumper pro 29r, Santa Cruz Heckler 26r.

Submitted by Metanoia a Downhiller from Philippines

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2008

Strengths:    Wide platform, virtually will not pack with mud, FLOAT for bum knees is a big plus!!!

Weaknesses:    Couldn't get a consistent clip in/clip out

Bottom Line:
    Switched back to SPDs because I couldn't get a consistent clip in/out on my left foot; but this might be due to my body's "geometry" more than anything else but I did ask some people and they did notice that they don't have a consistent clip in / clip out. A joy to use in muddy trails because they don't gunk up because of the pedal's design.

Favorite Trail:   Tagaytay/Maarat/Patiis