Crank Brothers Mallet 3 Pedal

Weight : 440 grams MSRP : $120.00

The Mallet 3 is Crank Bros? best pedal for the aggressive freerider or downhiller. Its combination platform/clipless design gives you the flexibility to be clipped in when you want and the extra support of a big platform when you don?t.

Submitted by Jr a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2015

Strengths:    Look good, Well built, Lighter than the Mallet 1's, Strong, last a long time.

Bottom Line:
I made the switch to clips about 3 years ago and have never looked back. My brother in law recommended Crank Brothers egg beaters but I never liked the way they look on the bike.

I got these pedals from a local shop brand new. I have had them now for three years mostly riding the local trails where I live. I have crashed hard many times (10+), broken components, cased jumps, have struck rocks with both pedals and crank arms, and these Mallet 3's are still going strong.

I figured after 3 years of riding this things would be worn out and ready to replace but have been proven wrong. I even had to replace the clips on my shoes about a month ago due to those being worn out.

Worth the money and will most likely end up getting new ones only because I want to change the color for my new bike.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park

Fox Float 32
XT drivetrain 1x10 w/raceface 38T narrow wide

Submitted by Zeroman_IR a Weekend Warrior from Kerry, Ireland

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2009

Strengths:    Sheds mud well. Easy to clip in. And out. Pins let you fine tune grip. Lots of float. Lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Occasional tendency to clip in when you don't want to.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic pedal. Most people would probably be as well off with the Mallet 2 but I got these for pretty much the same price off eBay. Run them with 661 Filters with one spacer under the cleat and they work perfectly for the aggressive XC/All Mountain riding I sometimes do.

Find them easier to get out of when I need to than the XT pedals I had previously. Can clip out and stand on the platforms for any hairy bits, grips nearly as well as a dedicated platform pedal thanks to the adjustable pins.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT pedals.

Bike Setup:   Commencal Meta 5.5.2 '08.