Crank Brothers Mallet 1 Pedal

2.84/5 (19 Reviews)
Weight : 540 grams MSRP : $53.95

The Mallet 1 might be "entry level" but dont letThe low price fool you.This pedal is ready for aggressive use. Itscombination platform/clipless design gives youThe flexibilityTo beclipped in when you want andThe extra support of a big platform whenyou dont. Crank Bros hasTotally re-designedTheir pedal lineup for2011 andThe Mallet 1 gets many ofThe same enhancemnents as its higher-end brothers. industry-leading Five year warranty Polycarbonate pedal bodyTraction pins atThe front and rear ofThe pe

Submitted by Jorge a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2014

Strengths:    Diseño

Weaknesses:    Muy difícil anclaje

Bottom Line:
Los traté de usar con 2 tipos de calzados diferentes pensando que ese era el problema y eran los pedales su plataforma es alta e impide o hace difícil la sujeción del calzado con el pedal igualmente para sacar los pies de los pedales en varias oportunidades me quede enganchado y caí al piso lastimándome la canilla.no lo recomendaría.

Duration Product Used:   2 veces

Purchased At:   Miami

Similar Products Used:   Siempre utilice pedales ahí mano tuve oportunidad de comprar algo con plataforma sabía de esta marca por unos pedales de descenso entonces me decidí comprarlos sin antes conocer si funcionaban correctamente.

Submitted by aevanlloyd a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2013

Strengths:    Cool design. I love the concept of the platform pedal with the option of clipping in. Also the customer service is fantastic.

Weaknesses:    Fragile. The durability is so poor that the pedals did not last one ride.

Bottom Line:
I was very pleased to find the Mallet 1s had arrived in the mail. I mounted them on my XC 29er and headed out into the desert. The trail was typical AZ riding, with lots of dirt rocks and sand. Halfway up the first climb I realized that the plastic platform on the right pedal had split in half. I pulled out two zip ties and tied both pieces together hoping to continue my ride. Next the left pedal split in half and fell to the ground. I then turned around and headed home. I tried to ride on the egg beater part of the pedal, but soon after, the spring fell out and the egg beater was useless. In the end I put all the parts into my Camelback and limped home on two axles. The pedals did not last 4 miles before they were completely destroyed. Mind you, this was on the climb not the decent. Had the pedals imploded while I was descending the mountain I could have been seriously injured. In my opinion this is the worst mountain bike product I have ever owned, and I advise all of you to save yourself the hassle and look elsewhere for a platform pedal. If I could give this product zero chilies I would.

Favorite Trail:   K-Trail

Duration Product Used:   30 minutes

Purchased At:   Huck n Roll

Similar Products Used:   Kona Wha Wha, Black Ops

Bike Setup:   Specialized Camber Pro 29er

Submitted by sevenzero a Cross Country Rider from Dark Side Of The Moon

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2011

Strengths:    Hmm. This is where you say what you like about the pedals? They look pretty cool. The machine work and CAD design work is very nice. The eggbeater clip is a simple engineering marvel.

Weaknesses:    The function of these pedals all around is useless.

Bottom Line:
These were my first clipless pedal. I bought these pedals looking for the best of both worlds, (As did a friend I ride with who is riding flats now) or minimally a good compromise between clips and flats. The truth is having no experience with clipless pedals made me think the mallets were passable. If you raise the pins you can't click out, if you lower them they do little to nothing when you want to be free on sketchy stuff.

I picked up a set of the low end eggbeaters at REI for $49.00 and did a trial by fire today on one of the more technical trails here and to be honest I had some anxiety about being smashed into the rocks. I wish I would have tried the egg beater first, it would have saved me a few trips to the ground stuck in the mallets.

The bottom line is, these pedals probably work amazing for everyone else. For me they are a worthless blend of two types of pedal and they suck at being either one. They inspired absolutely no confidence when riding with them. After riding the regular eggbeater today I found that it clicks out at any foot angle with little to no effort, pedals pretty damn good clicked out for just having that minimalist stick to stand on, instant Zen. I would recommend choosing a specific pedal (Flat or clipless) rather than this inbred stepchild. Get the regular egg beater, they rock.

I bought them used so my value rating should be higher, they are so worthless I have to give them the lowest rating.

Favorite Trail:   Craters...

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Flats, Eggbeaters

Bike Setup:   Felt Nine with light XC parts

Submitted by mmartabq a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2011

Strengths:    Nice platform, look great, pretty durable, easy in/out

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
Maybe I am a tame rider compared to some here, but I have whacked these pretty hard on many rocks and they have performed like champs. That said, I am not a hard-core downhill rider, so I don't do big drops that would be harder on the spindle. For all-mountain and XC riding, I love these. They give me a solid, stable platform and let me ride with normal shoes or sandals if I need to. I definitely prefer them to the Candy SLs I have on my commute bike. Only problem I've had was a spring that stuck open on one pedal, which was quickly fixed by CB.

Favorite Trail:   Elena Gallegos trails

Similar Products Used:   Crankbrothers Candy SL

Submitted by the_one a Weekend Warrior from Madrid(Spain)

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2010

Strengths:    you can clip or not with big plataform

Weaknesses:    you have to rebuild early. Bad quality materials inside the pedal.

Bottom Line:
It could be great pedal but they used bad quality materials for the price you are paying for it.Big plataform when you are not clipped. CB clip system is too good for knee problemas.

Favorite Trail:   All mountain

Purchased At:   chain

Similar Products Used:   Crank Brothers Acid

Bike Setup:   Giant Reing / Mz Z1 Light ETA

Submitted by NCBMXPRO a Racer from Charlotte Nc

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2010

Strengths:    I love how you can raise the pins to grip the shoe. Makes me feel like I am rding flat pedals even with the extra float.

Weaknesses:    Broken Spindle

Bottom Line:
How can there not be a recall on these pedals with so many broken spindles? Seems like a very serious safety hazard. I would not recommend buying these if you plan on using them for more than 9 months.

Favorite Trail:   Warrior Creek

Similar Products Used:   Shimano DX

Submitted by chtorres2 a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2010

Strengths:    Platform plus clipped performance. Adjustable pins for unclipped pedaling. Easy clipping in and out.

Weaknesses:    I havent found any yet other then having to buy a rebuild kit to change the internals every so often (depending how much you ride and conditions they are used in) instead of being able to just taking it apart to clean and regrease the thing. You can do that with other pedals why not with yours Crank Brotthers?

Bottom Line:
First of all Ive only had the pedals for 2 monthes and Ive used them a lot. I havent had any problems. I have been concerned because of so many reviews saying the build quality is junk and they are unreliable. I still went ahead and bought them because they are the closest thing out there to what I wanted 1. A platform pedal that I can ride fast going downhill without the fear of crashing clipped in... 2. A pedal I can clip in to have more control going up hill and fast in easier conditions. These pedals have held up pretty good. I weighd 210lbs when I started using them and I weigh 197 lbs right now so Im not a light guy. I mash them hard and Ive had a few nasty crashes that have hit the pedals pretty hard and they havent given in yet. Maybee Im a lucky one. In my opinion they are well built. If they fail me Ill be quick to update my review and let you guys know. I ride 2-3 times a week for at least 6-15 miles each ride just to give you and idea of how much use theyve gotten. They probably have around 100 miles. They get 5 chilies for value cause they are not to expensive. Overall 4 chilies because you cant just take em apart and regrease them. You have to buy a $15-$20 rebuild kit.

Favorite Trail:   Buffalo Creek, Green Mountain

Similar Products Used:   Crank Brothers Smartys and Candy's.

Bike Setup:   2010 Trek Fuel EX9, Crankbrothers Joplin 4 Seat, WTB Pure V,ODI Rogue Grips, Sram Pitstop Cables, Kenda Nevegals 2.35

Submitted by E.T.^R a Weekend Warrior from Sudbury, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2010

Strengths:    Clips are easy to use, easy to get used to large platform you can mash on if not clipped in. Good customer service

Weaknesses:    These pedals seem to have a vary brittle axle,I have broken three in as many years and am finally convinced that is not just me.

Bottom Line:
To me it all boils down to one thing these things will fail catastrophically when you least expect it so I say stay away from them.
I would not recommend this product to my friends!

Favorite Trail:   simics

Similar Products Used:   Crank Brothers Acid

Submitted by willtsmith_nwi a Weekend Warrior from Valparaiso, IN

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2010

Strengths:    Good Ergonomics

Weaknesses:    They break from XC use. The last time they broke it sent me into a crash and now I have a separated shoulder.

Bottom Line:
Crank Brothers fixed the numerous broken axels I sent them from these and the original Mallet C. They can't fix my separated shoulder. The last customer service interaction I've had with this place went way downhill. They wanted me to pay for a fix.

It's a shame that this innovative platform/clip design is manufactured like crap. Over three years of sending back axels, this company learned nothing and I ultimately ended up with a permanent injury.

There is no value to such a product. It cost me $300 to replace all their junk. The overall rating for a product that gives way so suddenly is zero. Buy at your own risk.

Favorite Trail:   Outback Trail

Purchased At:   Zims Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Time ATAC, Time ATAC Z (both good so far)

Bike Setup:   Karate Monkey XT/X9 Build.

Submitted by asanathema a Cross Country Rider from Cumberland, MD

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2010

Strengths:    Platform/clip-ins.

Weaknesses:    I just checked out the springs and found the left one which I primarily clip into is so rusted it doesn't move, maybe that's why it's been easy to what with my cleats worn down to nothing. Added grease through the port and oiled the outside of the spring, which seemed to work for the right beater (but that was movable)haven't had a chance to check it out yet and been too busy to go down to the basement since I did that. Yes the paint does leech off pretty quickly but they're pedals...

Bottom Line:
I'd probably buy them again, I like the clip in and platform design we'll see if depending on my fix if I'll go with 1s or upgrade, same time I might just go flats with pins depending on weight.

Favorite Trail:   fort ord......

Purchased At:   blueskycycling.com

Similar Products Used:   Does taking off stock DB Peak wellgo's and putting on CB candy sls count?

Bike Setup:   Custom painted Specialized Epic Expert.

Submitted by tbaier a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2009

Strengths:    Versatile.

Weaknesses:    Not particularly good at being a flat or a clip pedal. Heavy. Suspect bearings.

Bottom Line:
As others have said, this pedal tries to do 2 things at once and does neither particularly well.

In my opinion, unclipping in order to ride technical sections is not really advisable on these. Between the raised butterfly clip in the center and the small, easily bent tread on the outside, traction is minimal when you are not clipped in. For me, the outer cage also makes it harder to unclip, and adds a fair amount of weight.

I also noticed a lot of bearing noise after about 6 months of riding. They are still going, but I'm not getting my hopes up for a long life.

What I like about these is that I can hop on my bike with street shoes or flip-flops on and ride around town or tow my kids in the trailer if they want to go for a quick ride. As long as its nothing too demanding. Its a lot easier than having to always put special shoes on.

Unfortunately the negatives outweigh the positives and I think I'm just going to buy some flats for fun, a proper pedal wrench and some Time ATACs for MTB.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by Cameron a Downhiller from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2009

Strengths:    Very good grip while unclipped compared to competitors, smooth exit, semi-easy entry.

Weaknesses:    I've broken a few spindles on both this model and the older mallet model. The spring, if clipped on a rock, bends very easily. This makes all 4 sides unavailable to clip into.

Bottom Line:
If you're serious into downhilling, i'd suggest looking at another pedal. It has honestly scared me on multiple occasions how easy it is to actually snap these spindles. I've been lucky about when this has happened though and have not been seriously injured. If you plan on riding hard or fast, jumping, dropping etc... I'd suggest looking at another product. This pedal is simply not designed for a downhilling environment.

Similar Products Used:   Time atac z's, various flats.

Bike Setup:   Commencal Supreme Dh

Submitted by NJMike a Racer from Trenton, NJ

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2009

Strengths:    Good all around pedal, easy to clip in and out.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I really like these pedals. They are listed as downhill but i concider them the perfect all mountain pedal. I ride cliped in when i amd on the easy cross country hills, and up hill. Then i ride unliped for the downhill, drops, jumps, and scary stuff. The pedal is a little heavy but if your doin that kind of ridin weight usaly isnt that much of a factor. The mallet 1's are a little bit heaver than the mallet 2's but they are the same pedal the only difference is that the platform on the mallet 1 is alittle wider and has a extra set screw on each side.

Favorite Trail:   Alaire

Purchased At:   Bikebling.com

Similar Products Used:   Little heavy but not enough to notice.

Bike Setup:   2009 Giant Regin

Submitted by BackwardsTires a Weekend Warrior from US

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2009

Strengths:    Has a platform for days that you don't want to clip in; low price; solid; easy clip out; a lot of float

Bottom Line:
Great pedals; work great, feel great, look great. Have a platform for easier days and are low priced. Great for first time clipless or experienced riders.

An outstanding pedal!