Crank Brothers Egg Beater Twin Ti Pedal

• easy entry and exit
  • spd® compatible*
  • fully rebuildable
  • excellent 2 year warranty
  • superior mud shedding design
  • simple: Only 13 total parts/pedal

Submitted by Coloradoxj13 a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2010

Strengths:    Light, easy to clip into and get out of

Weaknesses:    Unreliable, poor design, poor functionality.

Bottom Line:
These are absolutely the worst clipless pedals I have used in almost 15 years of riding clipless. Every time I strike a rock, which happens frequently in Colorado technical riding situations, you unclip. This is unacceptable and makes climbing tech almost impossible with these pedals. I have been riding them 4 months and they are already beat to crap. I have a pair of XTs waiting to go on as soon as I can break these fully, get them warrantied, and sell them to cover the cost of the XTs. Very disappointed, I am done with CB products. At least I paid half-price on them.

Purchased At:   ChainLove

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 747, Onza, Beebop, Speedplay, etc.

Submitted by illcomm33 a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, sexy, lightweight, good q-factor (after upgrading spindles)

Weaknesses:    Break easy....weak springs....gauge the bottom of your shoes (unless you spend even more money buying the shoe shield....don't you think that should be part of the purchase anyway?) cost!

Bottom Line:
Sad day for sure. I have been a crank bro's fan for YEARS and have gotten tons of friends hooked on the eggbeaters. Now I have to leave a bad review for some crazy expensive pedals that failed me way too quickly.
Started with C's and moved to SL's. All my bikes are outfitted with Crankbro's (eggbeaters for MTB & Candy's for Cross/Commuter/road)Just for the record I will keep those pedals...but will not use eggbeaters for MTB anymore.

More than a few warranty issues over the years didn't bother me too much (broken wings, springs wearing out) especially since Crank Bro's took care of things quickly I was ok dealing with the frustration. They are sweet pedals right!

Enough of the past...now for the 2ti review.

Spent a good chunk of change on the 2ti's and then upgraded the spindle's with Ti Spindle (Excellent spindles!) Less than 3 months of riding the spring on the left pedal broke (during a race no less....on a non technical course...not a rock insight) I mainly ride non-rocky singletrack...I don't bash pedals.
Frustrated again I went to the Crank Bro's site to call and discuss warranty situations...only to find out the RA (Return Authorization) is now a completely automatic process.
Does this say enough about quality? Seems to me that the overall warranty requests were too much to handle so CB went to a "fill out the warranty info and send em in....we will just fix them and send them back..."
After thinking about how much $$ I have spent over the years sending pedals back to Cali for warranty I decided enough is enough.

Should have listened a few buddies (SPD-XTR pedal guys) who have said CB quality is poor. They too had ti, 2ti or 4ti and switched after "sloppiness" between pedal/cleat issues and were suffering from unintentional un-clips.

Going to give the XTR pedals a shot...heck they were 1/3 the cost of these pedals and probably won't let me down when I need them.

If you are looking for a sick race day pedal that is crazy light these are for you. I wouldn't recommend them for an everyday pedal though.

Favorite Trail:   Falcon Trail, Captain Jack's

Purchased At:   Bikewarehouse + Ti S

Similar Products Used:   Been running Crank Bro's for 8+ years. SPD before that.

Bike Setup:   Spot Longboard 29er SS belt drive.

Submitted by bigring22 a Cross Country Rider from Richmond,VA

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2010

Strengths:    light, easy to get in and out of, good with mud.

Weaknesses:    breaks easiily

Bottom Line:
I have had used eggbeater pedals for several years for recreational riding, and racing and have liked them. They have been reliable and good for some of the extreme conditions I have raced in. I am pretty careful rider and don't hit my pedals off logs, rocks etc. Since buying the 2Ti model I have broke the spring that holds the pedal together twice (the last time being today). The down side to this pedal is that since it doesn't have a platform if the pedal breaks you have nothing to safely rest your foot on. I will rebuild these from some old pedals but will definately switch pedals before the racing season start this year.

Purchased At:   don't remember

Similar Products Used:   SPD is the only non-Crank Borthers pedal I have used. I have used several different eggbeater pedals before the 2 Ti.

Bike Setup:   Carbon Titus Racer X

Submitted by john a Racer from east berlin, connecticut,usa

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2007

Strengths:    lightweight, easy to clip in, sheds mud

Weaknesses:    unwanted clip outs, no platform, and um..unwanted clipouts

Bottom Line:
The unwanted clipouts I had pretty much gotten used to except on rocky fast downhills, where paying attention to the pedals is a must. I don't think these are the best pedals for highly technical riding. I think they are good for racers on relatively smooth courses.
I had to switch back to my Time ATACS for comfort due to a nerve problem in my foot. I definitley feel more stable with the Times and prefer them to the eggbeaters. Unfortunatley the Times are significantly heavier. I will be trying the Candy 4 ti ot he Xs Carbon Ti's by the end of the year.

Favorite Trail:   west hartford

Similar Products Used:   ritchey, times

Bike Setup:   ellsworth truth, race build

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from OC CA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight. Simple design. Easy to clip in and out.

Weaknesses:    Makes noise, ticking from right pedal, creaking from under the shoes.

Bottom Line:
I tried these since they came on a bike I bought. They were definitely light weight and simple in design. I mounted these along with new cleats and after two rides the right pedal started to make a ticking noise and both started to creak like the pedal rubbing against the bottom of my shoes. Tried some dry lube and some other lubes with no luck. Retail on these is something like $200. I can't see spending that much for something that sounds like it's falling apart. I have been riding the 959's for over a year with NO problems whatsoever. I'll stick with the 959's.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   xtr 959's

Bike Setup:   Carbon Epic

Submitted by Darren a Cross Country Rider from Moose Jaw, SK, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2007

Strengths:    Light, strong.

Weaknesses:    Cost and the paint on the wings and body washed off with water. A $200 pedal that looks like a cheapie after a few rides. Crankbrothers won't do anything to help even when they admitted that it happens to all of 'em. Crap paint.

Bottom Line:
They function well but look like crap after a few wet rides. If I wanted cheap crap I'd buy cheap crap. Why are my expensive pedals looking like cheap crap? If you like your stuff to look good longer than 2 weeks avoid the twin ti's. Thumbs down to Crankbrothers quality control dept.

Favorite Trail:   Trans Canada Trail

Purchased At:   E-bay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 959 and 520.

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo. All '07 XTR, custom painted Industry Nine/DT Swiss 4.2 wheels. Fox RCL 140, Fox rp23.

Submitted by dan a Racer from great falls

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2007

Strengths:    weight, strength, function

Weaknesses:    small surface area??

Bottom Line:
I won't ride anything but egg beaters now days. I rode the cheap ones for a year and got the twin ti's last year, sold them with my bike and bought the 4 ti's this year and a pair of the Sl's. The pedals function great with mud clearing and have good float in them. Bottom line: Great pedals, and I was hard on the twin ti's and they held great.

Purchased At:   pro form

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   07 anthem, full XO/XTR with Stans wheels, SID world cup

Submitted by simon chetwynd a Cross Country Rider from newbury, uk

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2006

Strengths:    Really lightweight, don't clog up in even the foulest mud, very easily serviced, rebuild kit available.

Weaknesses:    Straight out of the box (aka flashy tin) the clamping force on the cleats was far too high. A ride and a squirt of WD40 fixed this, they've been fine ever since. Note that you can't adjust the springs.
The seals aren't the greatest, I had to strip a pedal down not long after I had it. That said, cleaning it, regreasing it and putting it back together without using a rebuild kit fixed it.

Bottom Line:
If you want a lightweight pedal that won't clog up under any conditions, then this is the biz.
Very easily serviced as well.
Not exactly the cheapest pedals going though.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Richey, and others I can't remember. All of them clog up with mud.

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS 3, Rockshox Reba forks, Shimano XT group set

Submitted by Matthew Morgan a Racer from Houston

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2006

Strengths:    Very Light, Very simple entry and exit.
No amount of mud will clog the simplistic design.
with 4 entry point there no feeling around for the pedal engagement.

Weaknesses:    None you can't find a better pedel

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't even try another pedal since I started using these. There is nothing on the market like them.

Favorite Trail:   WACO

Purchased At:   Team Purchase

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2006

Strengths:    4 point entry, weight.

Weaknesses:    they are not designed to last. over time there is too much pressure on the interior of the pedal. allows build-up of dirt and grit. requires ongoing maintenance.

Bottom Line:
one word...pathetic! Sure for the first 6 months-1 year i was wrapt, but then the problems started. the build of the pedal is just not designed to handle mtb riding. i had to re-build the pedal twice in 6 months - i finally gave up on them when part of the pedal became detached from where it attaches to the crank. i've had numerous guys tell me of their problems with crankbrothers pedals.

back to shimano for me...

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Bike Setup:   epic comp 05

Submitted by Hank a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2006

Strengths:    Strong, light, maintainable, consistent clipping, great customer service (see below)

Weaknesses:    What? Ok, the stupid little anodized sliding case they come in... looks cool, but unnecessary... pack 'em in a cardboard box and save the consumer a few $$$. A BIG waste if you ask me...

Bottom Line:
I'm prefacing by saying that I'd been using Egg Beater C's on my previous bike for about two years. When I got my Titus last spring, I didn't want to keep swapping pedals so got a steal on eBay and am set...

Customer service: Crank Bros is awesome... on the C's, I broke a spindle hitting a rock, called them, got a return order number, and had a repaired/new pedal in about a week. No problems since. It was the stellar performance and service with the C's that lead me to the Twin Ti's.

I would have opted for the 4-Ti's, but they caution a rider weight limit at 180#, and I'm just under that, and ride aggressively, so I opted for the Twins. Not to be disappointed.

My experience with Egg Beaters has been stellar. At first, I was worried about the stability of the "platform" if I decide to unclip in rough sections... sheesh... I quickly learned that unclipping is unnecessary... if a quick bail is needed, they come right out without hesitation - but that said, I have *never* had them unclip by mistake (something I can't say about my Shimano's, which resulted in a nice little scar on my arm). Being 4-sided, you can clip in and go very quickly (even when mounting on an uphill - which comes in very handy!). They gather *no* mud... sheds very easy... cleans easy...

These things are just awesome... I'm surprised that everyone isn't riding Egg Beaters! (If you need a platform, try the Candy's...)

Favorite Trail:   50-Year & its tributaries

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Wellgo, Egg Beater C's

Bike Setup:   Titus Moto Lite

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Sherman Oaks, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2005

Strengths:    Light, strong, simple.

Weaknesses:    Zero

Bottom Line:
These are the best pedals I have ever tried. It does take a little bit of practice to clip in, but after you get the location of the shoe clip to the pedal, you are in heaven. Entry and exit is easy, and quick. I was able to restart on a very steep hill without any problems concerning the pedals. If you want something light, easy to rebuild and maintain, and dependable, and light without any weight limitations, buy these pedals now. You won't be sorry.

Favorite Trail:   Caballero to PCH and back

Similar Products Used:   candy ti's, shimano 747

Bike Setup:   Titus Talus SB, Chris King HS, Thomson post and stem, Easton monkey lite xc bars, Sram X.0 rear derailer and grip shifts, XT BB Crank and front derailer, Manitou Minute 3 IT forks, DT240s w/ Mavic 819 ust wheels, El Camino brakes, Crappy Kenda Charisma UST tires.

Submitted by Neil Statz a Racer from Wisconsin Rapids

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2004

Strengths:    lightweight, clears mud, easy entry, customer service

Bottom Line:
I used these pedals in a 12 hour race that was almost all rock singletrack.I beat the living #@%$ out of them and they held up under all the impacts and crashes that day. After the abuse I put them through, I checked out my bike, and found I bent the spindle on the left pedal. I had my bike shop call crank brothers and tell them I needed to buy a set of spindles, because I felt I had damaged them and it was no fault of theirs. They sent me two free spindles, and I had them in three days! What a customer service department. I highly recomend these pedals.

Purchased At:   campus cycle