Crank Brothers Egg Beater Triple Ti Pedal

• easy entry and exit
  • spd® compatible*
  • fully rebuildable
  • excellent 2 year warranty
  • superior mud shedding design
  • simple: Only 13 total parts/pedal

Submitted by Todd_71 a Racer from Auburn CA USA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2010

Strengths:    Sheds mud well. Easy entry and release. Light weight.

Weaknesses:    No tension adjustment. Use of bushing that needs rebuilding regularly. Pre-release in technical conditions that can lead to serious injuries. Easy to break the spring/clip if you smack it on a rock.

Bottom Line:
Dangerous if you ride technical trails and the design needs a spring tension. I would not ride these again.

Similar Products Used:   Look, time, speedplay frog, shimano SPD.

Submitted by Don C. from San Diego

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2006

Strengths:    Easy in or out. Light weight. Reliable. Good support from Crank Bros.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I've used Eggbeaters since they were introduced. Each pair has worked really well. They last a long time and are servicable... what more can you ask?

Each time you grab your bike for a ride, the one thing that you won't have to think about will be your pedals... they just do the job!

Favorite Trail:   Mission Trails

Purchased At:   Used, from a friend

Similar Products Used:   Time ATAC

Bike Setup:   S.C. Blur, with XO drive train and FSA crank.

Submitted by Evan Plews a Racer from Dallas, Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2005

Strengths:    The lightest. The best in mud.

Weaknesses:    Sleave bearing design must be rebuilt periodically to prevent damage to spindles. Probably more resistance than roller bearings. Wings can eat your shoes if you don't keep the cleats fresh and use the spacers.

Bottom Line:
Very robust design. The best overall setup ever conceived for MTB and 'cross. Other models are functionally the same at more affordable cost and marginal weight gain.

Favorite Trail:   Waldo Lake

Similar Products Used:   Everything.

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Super Grizzily with Spinner fork; Sunrace/XTR drivetrain; Magura brakes; SDG I-beam seat/post, Syntace bar/stem; Kenda tires; Crank Bros pedals.

Submitted by egg beater a Cross Country Rider from omelette, ca

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2005

Strengths:    they weigh .000001 oz.

Weaknesses:    don't always guarantee a first place finish

Bottom Line:
they help you pick up on good looking women...really improved my dating scene

Favorite Trail:   huevos rancheros

Purchased At:   eggcetera.com

Similar Products Used:   most

Bike Setup:   de salvo custom single speed

Submitted by Henri von Steen a Racer from Viljoenskroon

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2005

Strengths:    Super Light. All working parts on pedal, not on cleat. Sheds mud beter than anything else. Super fast exit and entry. Looks like something from outer space.

Weaknesses:    None. (Make sure your end-caps are tight.) Use double ti if you are over 85kg.

Bottom Line:
These are the best pedals I've ever used! They are everything a MTB-rider wants in a pedal. Light, strong , 4 sides for quick entry. There is nothing else like it. One of my friends thought they looked like detonator tips from a cruise missile, when I paraded them around in the smart golden aluminium box they come in. He did not believe me when I told him it was pedals. (He obviously is not a cyclist.) There is just something about the triple ti's that makes everyone goes WOW ! ! !

And if you buy these pedals, you can be certain of the best customer support team I know of, behind you every pedal stroke. Even if you are halfway around the world from them.

Can't give anything less than 5 hot ones!

Favorite Trail:   Bontehoek

Purchased At:   United Kingdom CycleXpress

Similar Products Used:   Time atac carbon

Bike Setup:   Giant MCM TEAM.

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Cedar Hill, Texas

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2004

Strengths:    Easy to use. Maintenance free (more or less). Lightweight. Looks cool.

Weaknesses:    Cost.

Bottom Line:
I can't imagine a pedal working better than this. From the very beginning these pedals were excpetionally easy to use. Clip in is... uh, easy. Clip out is... hmm, easy. I don't waste time trying to find the cleat and clip in I just put my foot down and push...click, done. To clip out was initially a little more difficult but I used a file on my cleats, just a little at a time and got the perfect fit. Now at that moment during a climb when I am pushing as hard as I can but I am not quite making it up the rock/root/hill as my forward momentum has just stopped and I feel that I am on the way over and I reflexively yank my foot off the pedal to save myself, it works! Pop! out comes the cleat and I am saved. No more tumble down the hill still attached to the bike.

Mud doesn't make a difference either. Great pedal.

Favorite Trail:   boulder

Purchased At:   B&B Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Time ATAC carbon.

Bike Setup:   '03 Fuel 98 with full '03 XTR and other goodies.

Submitted by ryan a Racer from Interior BC Can

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2004

Strengths:    Good hold once in, great mud clearance

Weaknesses:    Very short cleat life (about a month) you don't want to hop on your bike wearing sandels with these (easy to slip off). Cause d wear in the sole of my shoe (between the two bolt grooves for the cleat to bolt in. Wore about 1/2 way thru sole) Can leave interesting marks on you shin (ala all clipless)

Bottom Line:
Great pedal. Identical performance to times, maybe a bit tougher to clip in the wet if you don't hit it square on, its just a really small platform. Watch the cleat wear, and replace often. Its only twenty bucks, after what these cost, thats nothing. Otherwise you can get some funky knee/stem love from unexpected releases. Annoying people ask you whats up with your pedals. By the way. My cheapo version of these works just as well, and you would likely lose that much weight shaving your butt crack, so its really about how you spend your money. Lose one flaming turd due to cleat/shoe wear

Purchased At:   OEM Spec

Similar Products Used:   SPD, Time, Speedplay, Bebop

Bike Setup:   Epic Ti 'Tirant' (not a specialized) Manitou Plat 100mm, X.O., American Classic goodies

Submitted by JP a Racer from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2004

Strengths:    Love these pedals. Compared to my old 737s (which were almost 1/2 pounds heavier), nothing compares to pedaling with a set of lighter pedals. Absolutely terrific in muddy conditions. I don't have to worry not being able to clip in or worse clip out when I need to.

Weaknesses:    small platform when not clipped in. which if an issue, then the candy pedals would suit you better.

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for the lightest and best pedals out there - these are it. The pedals will set you back a little bit but they're worth it. Great warranty and rebuild kits are available...

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 737s, 535s.

Bike Setup:   XC race bike.

Submitted by DaFireMedic a Cross Country Rider from Upland

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2003

Strengths:    Ease of entry and exit, Light weight, No problems with mud clooging them.

Weaknesses:    Cost. Also, I read in the manual that the max recommended rider weight for these is 185 lbs. I was concerned, being that I'm at 185 right now with low body fat. So far no problems. Oh, and did I mention the cost?

Bottom Line:
These things are expensive. As a previous reviewer said, there's no way in the world I could tell my wife how much I paid for these pedals. I only bought them because I was unhappy with my old pedals, and decided to get the best ones that I could. But man, I'm glad I did. A world of difference in entry and exit from my previous pedals, and I dropped 1/2 pound from my bike. I stalled unexpectedly in some rocks today, but unlike my previous experiences with my old pedals, my foot exited smoothly and I didn't flop onto the rocks. I am also able to navigate and pedal through difficult technical sections with my feet unclipped, there is enough platform to do it easily. I am very, very pleased with these pedals. Get them if you can spare the cash, are under 185 lbs, and want to lighten your bike. Otherwise get the regular eggbeaters. You'll get the same benefits, just not as much weight savings. I'm holding one value chili back due to the cost, but the quality is without question.

Favorite Trail:   East fence trail

Purchased At:   Wheelworld

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 515

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic, Triple ti's of course, Manitou Skareb, Selle Italia SLR saddle, Roll x pro tires

Submitted by gale hess a Cross Country Rider from goshen, in

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
you folks spending this kind of dough should read the reviews of the other stripes of beaters- history is doomed to repeat itself so learn from those reviews and keep the spindle screw tight, use loc-tite on the crank arm, and ride hard

Favorite Trail:   boys town

Purchased At:   notquite.com

Submitted by Craig a Cross Country Rider from Thousand Oaks, CA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2003

Strengths:    LIGHT! Easy in, easy out. Positive feel. Good in variety of conditions. LIGHT! Best pedal I've used.

Weaknesses:    They aren't cheap. There is no way I can tell my wife how much I paid for these pedals.

Bottom Line:
Great pedal. Positive engagement. Very,very light. Easy in and easy out. No doubt about when you're clicked in (unlike Speedplay Frogs). No unwanted release, either. Durable and easy to work on. Makes me feel like I'm part of the bike. Again, I can't stress the low weight enough. My bike now weighs 22.6 pounds. My feeling prior to purchasing these is that any pedal that costs as much as a high end crank set better be truly bad ass. I think these pedals are just that. And they look really cool.

Favorite Trail:   Pt. Mugu, Chesboro