Crank Brothers Egg Beater Ti Pedal

• easy entry and exit
  • spd® compatible*
  • fully rebuildable
  • excellent 2 year warranty
  • superior mud shedding design
  • simple: Only 13 total parts/pedal

Submitted by ambassadorhawg a Cross Country Rider from So Cal, USA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, easy in and out, simple design. Love the floating feeling with these pedals!

Weaknesses:    Getting the cleats adjusted properly can be a little tricky.

Bottom Line:
Eggbeaters have a unique feel that gives you a floating sensation. Some do not like the disconnected feel but they make me feel like I am pedaling lighter. Srong, lightweight, reliable pedals, great company!

Favorite Trail:   Strawberry peak

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR, Ritchey WCS Pro V4

Bike Setup:   2009 Custom Specialized Epic Comp

Submitted by Knobby4me a Racer from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2010

Strengths:    Ease of clip in, Mud shuckig, lightweight

Weaknesses:    They break..eventually

Bottom Line:
I have a love/hate relationship with these pedals. I love the ease of entry and mud clearance as well as cleaning and rebuilding. My hate is that every pair of CB pedals I have owned have broken. My quattro SL's come apart after about 30 miles no matter how I tighten them. Candy C's just fell apart.

Yeah, this review is for Eggbeater Ti's. I have two pair and the first pair, 1.5 years old, broke on a modest uphill when the spindle broke in half, seriously. Almost shreaded my shin. On the second pair, 3 months old, the spring broke rendering the pedal useless halfway through a ride.

If you are like me, having the same style pedal on all bikes makes life a lot easier and cheaper for shoe needs. It's very difficult to change pedal style so I keep with the CB's. I hear the Attack pedals work with CB cleats so I may try. If you ride these, check out the bottom of your shoe and you'll see how they indent and will destroy you sole. They must know this because they make a metal plate (see their website) to install under the cleats. I did this and now they make an odd noise.

CB has been exceptional with warranty replacement. I send them an email, get a warranty number with no questions asked, send the pedals and in two weeks I get a repaired pair. The second set came back with a Ti springs upgrade. Love that.

Purchased At:   multiple places

Similar Products Used:   I've Candy, Quattro, and two pair of eggbeater Ti

Bike Setup:   29 SS, 29 geared, 26 FS

Submitted by jmstach a Cross Country Rider from Honolulu, Hi, USA

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2010

Strengths:    easy to get into and out of. Easy to grease and rebuild

Bottom Line:
These things are great easiest pedals to into and out of I have ever ridden, and I have been riding clipless pedals for over 20 years. no problems when in heavy mud clip in and out is still good.

Purchased At:   universal cycles

Similar Products Used:   shimano, time, Look

Bike Setup:   Kona Hei-Hei TI (hard tail) Race Face Cranks, Bars Stem, White Bro. Shock, XTR derailures and V-Brakes gore ride on cables.

Submitted by dserge007 a Cross Country Rider from Orlando

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2009

Strengths:    lightweight if you spend the money to et the Ti pedals, easy to get into

Weaknesses:    Ti 1 pedals collapsed on the start of a race, I sent them back to Crankbrothers for warranty and what was supposed to be a 10 day turnaround, 16 days later I called and got a rude warranty guy saying it's now a 15 day turnaround, Ok fine it's been 16 days...he said I'll do it when I get to it...Great Customer service there!! I'm done with them!

Bottom Line:
The wings Ti 1's wear out relatively fast for the money you pay for them, make it hard to stay clipped in, even after replacing the clips. No problems on the chrome molly pedals, there just heavier
If a good warranty and customer service is something of importance....stay away! All I got was a "don't give a crap" attitude!

Submitted by JJ29 a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas, NV

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2009

Strengths:    Super engagement. Very durable. Look awesome on my bike.

Weaknesses:    None. I really like the eggbeaters.

Bottom Line:
The entry and exit of these pedals are the best that I have found. They are lightweight and very durable. Even on the Sultan I still "crab" pedals at "Bootleg Canyon", and they take the abuse!!! Buy these now!!

Favorite Trail:   Reno/Flag/ Bear

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop Las Ve

Similar Products Used:   All other eggbeaters, most candy's, some acids,one pair of mallots, frogs before then.

Bike Setup:   Turner Sultan 29er. Hope-Stem,BB,Pro-2 Hubs, Race Face Next carbon fiber bar, Stan's Arch rims, Race face cranks

Submitted by p_mac a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, Albertqa

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2008

Strengths:    Easy in/out. Lightweight. Bullet-proof.

Weaknesses:    Clamps on shoes wear quickly...due to the fact that they're bronze, they need to be replaced at least annually.

Bottom Line:
I have bashed these pedals off countless rocks and they keep on engaging seamlessly. They take a serious beating.

I've used SPDs and they don't clear the mud like mine do. After a muddy group ride with friends, they all went to egg-beaters after seeing how easy I was clipping in...while they were banging out the mud before getting close to clipping in. I liked them so much, I'm on my second set.

Favorite Trail:   Moose

Similar Products Used:   SL, SPDs

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur

Submitted by maleonardphi a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2008

Strengths:    Weight, ease of entry/release

Weaknesses:    I broke one of the wings on a rock once. But CB fixed it and had it back to me in a week.

Bottom Line:
I use the Ti Egg Beaters on my MTB and Cross bikes. There is a significant weight savings over the SPDs, and I feel the 4 sided entry really helps in cross when you are constantly getting on and off your bike.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 959 SPD

Bike Setup:   Intense Spider

Submitted by Kevin C. a Cross Country Rider from Coventry, RI

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2008

Strengths:    Everything and they look great on my bike.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Great pedal. Sheds mud like there eating it. 4 sided entry is top notch. Probably the best cross country pedal on the market.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Crankbrothers Eggbeater SL Pedals

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by XCer a Weekend Warrior from OZ

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2008

Strengths:    Easy to use, simple design.

Weaknesses:    Price, but you get what you pay for.....

Bottom Line:
After replacing the SPD's I have not had a problem, crank bros you have got me for life if your products stays as good as it is!

Favorite Trail:   Any and all

Purchased At:   My local store

Similar Products Used:   SPD's

Bike Setup:   2007 Scott MC30

Submitted by Andy Jones a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane QLD Australia

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2007

Strengths:    Ease of entry/exit
Weight
looks

Weaknesses:    none really - slightly more float than I am used to but not really a wekness

Bottom Line:
I have been an avid Time user for 10 years, and only recently moved to the Egg Beaters as my trusty ATAC's were worn. I gothem becasue a friend put me onto them (and they look cool). Well after a week on them I can honestly say they are terrific - so much easier to engage and release than the Time. There is a little more float than I am used to but ....I am now used to that too.

great product.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Coot-tha

Similar Products Used:   Time ATAC

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575, Full XTR, Crossmax SLR, Fox Talas/RP23

Submitted by Rene Hoepelman a Cross Country Rider from Long Beach

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2005

Strengths:    light weight, easy in and out, light weight, excellent in mud and did i mention light weight

Weaknesses:    They is Expensive

Bottom Line:
If your used to spd's or any clipless style pedal you will have no problem with these. I got the hang of them on my first ride. Virtually no learning curve. The cleats will fit into any spd style shoe.

I dont see any point buying the candy versions. The platforms just add extra, unecessary weight and the little platform is practically useless.

I bought these begining of summer 2005. The worked great. the whole summer no problems as expected. Its now end of Oct. We recieved our first rains of the winter season. I rode though some trails with mud and just as everyone had claimed these work great in mud. I was able to clip in with cake on the bottom of my shoes. I was very impressed.

I will never go back to using spd's.

Favorite Trail:   dirt

Purchased At:   ebay brand new

Similar Products Used:   spd's

Bike Setup:   xcountry hardtail and a full suspension

Submitted by Julie a Cross Country Rider from San Diego,Ca

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2005

Strengths:    Light, reputation that they work in mud, easy in and out

Weaknesses:    Like many pedals, will put a good dent in your shin under the right circumstances.

Bottom Line:
I have stuck with the 747s because I was able to set them for quick and easy release (I'm a lightweight) and most of the time they work well in SoCal. However it doesn't take much mud (one trip through a stream with walking on the bank) to make the release mechanism much less reliable. I recently took a trip to Colorado where there was quite a bit of mud in sections and had to fuss over the pedals and cleats quite a bit.

A couple of years ago I tried the Times and quickly realized I would never be able to get out in an emergency. I was given the adjustable Times as a gift..and they were still way too tight on the lowest setting...so they are now on my road bike. I did check out the Eggbeaters, but they seemed to have the same general mechanism as the Time, so I never actually rode a pair.

After reading a couple of reviews that suggested they may be easier to exit than the Times, I decided to give them a go. Absolutely unbelieveable what a difference. They are actually easier to get out of than my 747s and only a tiny bit harder to get into (which I suspect is just me getting used to a different pedal behavior.) My shoes don't seem to slip around on them any more than they did on the Shimanos when I'm clipped out on dicey sections...and the "platform" size seems fine...but I have small feet. I haven't accidentally pulled out of them like I will occasionally with the 747s and I whacked the Eggs on rocks a few times without any unexpected releases. Perhaps the big difference is related to the cleat, which has lots of angle for release and is also a little wider than the Time so maybe more leverage ?

In any case, I am VERY impressed, and although I haven't ridden them in mud yet, no one seems to question that feature of these pedals.

AND I think they got my bike down to 24 lbs !

Favorite Trail:   Lots !

Purchased At:   Jensenusa

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 747s, Time Attacks and the new "adjustable" Times

Bike Setup:   Turner Flux

Submitted by Taso from San Diego

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2005

Strengths:    Quality, Light

Bottom Line:
These pedals are simply the best. Really happy with this purchase. The pedals are very light, and very easy to get in and out of, regarless of condition. Don't worry about mud, because its like you're riding in dry conditions 100% of the time. Not that there is much mud in San Diego, but once in a while. Because of the design, the pedals are very easy to rebuild if you need to. Not to mention the customer service by Crank Brothers. Second to none. Very friendly people.

Favorite Trail:   Daley Ranch

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyll, Fox Talas, Chris King/Racelite Wheelset

Submitted by dan sypniewski a Racer from michigan

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2004

Strengths:    light weight, strong, east to clip in and out, adjustable flow by turning cleat, look sweet

Weaknesses:    I have one friend that had to have them rebuilt, but he ride alot harder than I do (he's semi-pro, the cleats wear fast since they are made of brass, but are only about $15 to replace.

Bottom Line:
these pedals are sweet! I have never had a prodlem cliping in or out. I had knee surgery and after I had pain switched from the 959's to the eggbeaters and the pain went away. maybe to the wider range of movement while clipped in.

Favorite Trail:   NCT section before tippy dam

Purchased At:   the girlfriend got them for me for my b-day

Similar Products Used:   no other crank borthers pedals, but shimano 959, and cheaper models

Bike Setup:   Cannondale team scalpel. full out XC racing

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Morgan Hill

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2003

Strengths:    Predictable engage and dis-engage, works great in all conditions (including thick mud), spin silky smooth, easy maintainence. Intelligent use of materials. Oh... and light-weight, baby... soooo light!

Weaknesses:    Expensive. Somtimes I wish for a larger platform to stand on when not engaged. Also, I did have to use a dremel tool on my shoes to accomodate the cleats, but that's not so bad either.

Bottom Line:
Great pedals. Do everything Shimano and the others wish they could, and do it with less weight, less complexity and zero to no frustration in bad conditions! I have put over 7 months hard use on them and not a single issue to date. Don't be concerned about damaging them. These babies are ready to rumble! I like that they use titanium in intelligent places (pedal body) and keep to light-weight steel where it matters for strength and durability (spindle). Engagement in and out has always been smooth and effortless and contrary to their appearance, they provide greater contact area once you're clipped in than any SPUD I've ever used. I do occasionally wish for a larger platform (those Candies look sweet) but in all honesty they have never let me down, even in tricky NoCal single track, so it's more of a mental issue than anything else. Bottom line: Great pedal and I can highly recommend them to any serious rider. If I had paid retail for them, I would have given a 3 for value, but since I got a sick deal on a new set on Ebay, they get 4!

Favorite Trail:   Saratoga Gap

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Ritchey.

Bike Setup:   Voodoo Bokor with all the good stuff - including Dave's Speed Dream wheels. WhooHooo... don't even get me started on how great THOSE are!!!!

Paid Spam: Crank Brothers Ti 11 Gold Egg Beater pedals - $250

This is a pair of Crank Brothers' lightest, top of the line Ti 11 Egg Beater pedals. It's the featherweight gold model that weighs in at an amazing 90 grams a pedal and is mostly made of titanium. If you're looking to cut some weight off of your bike, this is an easy way to do it. The egg beaters al ... Read More »

Which Egg Beater Pedals Should I get (C, SL, or TI)

I'm thinking about picking some up and am trying to decide between the C, SL and TI. Is the difference between the 3 just the material? Ti would be nice, but I'm not sure if they're worth the extra $$. I'm not concerned about the extra 40 grams and am not too concerned about durability because I' ... Read More »

Crank Brothers Egg Beater 4ti Tuning. 115gr (Carbon spring)/ 122gr (Ti spring)

Hi, You may have seen the 5.97kg Cannondale Flash that S. Roth presented in the Eurobike (pics 1 and 2)...that bike had a pair of Crank Brothers EB 4ti that weighed 139.2gr. A very nice weight but we still can push the boundaries a bit more. This is a pic of a disassembled CB EB 4ti already tu ... Read More »

Standard (long) Egg Beater Ti axle

I have a pair of Egg Beaters with the new, shorter axle, but I need the longer axles Crank Brothers used to make. Anybody know where I can get those? If anybody wants to trade, I have brand new short axles still in the box here. Ole.Read More »