Crank Brothers Egg Beater Chrome Pedal

• easy entry and exit
  • spd® compatible*
  • fully rebuildable
  • excellent 2 year warranty
  • superior mud shedding design
  • simple: Only 13 total parts/pedal

Submitted by scottz123 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2013

Strengths:    Great for Cyclo-cross where you have to run thru mud/grass/turf.
Price, kind off, then you find out u need "premium cleats" (which don't last long @ $20 a pair) and then after you wear a hole in the bottom of your shoe, you find out you need to buy their "shoe shield' for another $10.

Weaknesses:    Cleats. If you ride, plan on getting 3-4 plus sets a year at $20 a pair.

My SPD cleats that came with my Shimano XT M780's for $80 last for YEARS in comparision.

Wear out shoes quickly (months) if you do buy/use their shoe shield

Bottom Line:
After going thru 2 sets of cleats in a little over 6 months (includes off-season), I cannot believe how many people "drink the egg beater kool-aid".

I ended up giving up my spd's after my first cyclo cross race where it was muddy (I had 'some' problems getting into spd's and bought eggbeaters.

I NEVER had problems with spd's in muddy MTB races (maybe I have a thing for staying on the bike). Going back to spd's and have old pair of shoes for EB's for CX races

Favorite Trail:   Palos

Purchased At:   amazon

Submitted by dredburt a Cross Country Rider from Castro Valley

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2011

Strengths:    Looks great, light.

Weaknesses:    They just brake and brake and brake. Broke 2 axles so far and collapsed 2 springs. Unclip when pulling up the hill.Frustrating

Bottom Line:
I am done with CB crap product. Perhaps they are for someone who is lighter and have very easy rides. Single Speed 50 miles MTB ride and both pedals pooped. Here is my blog post about it http://www.burtchiropractic.com/2011/07/29/single-speed-mountain-bike-ride-%E2%80%93-50-miles/

Do not buy these if you are hard core rider.

Favorite Trail:   If it makes Your Heart beat I will Ride it

Purchased At:   Ebay - Brnad New

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD - better durability, but the same crap. Switching over to time attack.

Bike Setup:   29er Single Speed - 2 of those Ti, 29er geared - two of those Ti All Hard Tails.

Submitted by mkr a Racer from Boulder

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight. Cheap.

Weaknesses:    That's what you get, cheap product. I pulled out of the pedal while standing and pedaling hard up hill. This happened numerous times during a race. It was also a loose fit. Every pedal stroke I could hear and feel my cleat move up and down on the pedal like they do not clip in snug. I was very disappointed over all. I returned them right after the race. That was the only time I used them and last time.

Bottom Line:
Read weaknesses.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Time, never had a problem with over 10 years of use. Went back to them. It's worth a little extra weight, not much, to have a solid product that works and lasts.

Submitted by ausssher a Cross Country Rider from Beirut, Lebanon

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2010

Strengths:    Very light, easy to clip in/out. Looks "trick"

Weaknesses:    Broken spring after only 4 months road bike use - no mud, little rain, easy use - about 1000 km only. Now facing complicated warranty hassle. Disappointed at poor durability (problem shared by many other bikers I see). Wish I had looked at your reviews before buying Crank Bros - should have stuck to Shimano - now we know why they are No 1!

Bottom Line:
Don't touch this product with a barge pole unless you like pedalling with one leg.Cost is no better than Shimano equivalent either.

Purchased At:   High on Bikes.com UK

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD (for over 10 years heavy MTB and road use)

Submitted by asinbluesky a Cross Country Rider from Bath, UK

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2010

Strengths:    Innovative elegant design. Mud clearing. Lightweight for price.

Weaknesses:    Durability in muddy/gritty UK conditions (i.e. normal use!). Chocolate cleats wear after one or two rides leaving vague retention. Unfortunately the bars wear too so buying (insanely overpriced) new cleats doesn't make that much difference.

Bottom Line:
An early adopter of Eggbeaters many years ago I used to recommend them to friends. However the rate of wear in the latest designs is just not acceptable.
I've just gone back to the big S after 10 years of Eggbeaters and am very happy. The M520s are a bit heavier but made from properly hardened steel with positive engagement. But heres the clincher - they're only slightly more than the cost of the Eggbeater replacment cleats, so a total bargain!
When they first came out 5 chillies - now only 2. Innovation without durability just isn't worth it.

Favorite Trail:   There's only one Coed-y-Brenin

Purchased At:   CRC

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, Stainless Eggbeaters (the first ones), 3 or 4 sets of Eggbeater Chromes

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F800SL

Submitted by penser a Cross Country Rider from Ft. Lewis, Washington, United States

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2010

Strengths:    Shed mud and debris, very serviceable, long life-span if serviced every year or two, meddle-free tension spring requires no tension adjustments

Weaknesses:    none...with the yearly $20 service pack including bearings and bushings, etc, this pedal keeps on keepin' on.

Bottom Line:
Got them on sale but I will buy these again even at full price, IF THE ONES I BOUGHT FOUR YEARS AGO EVER WEAR OUT!! I don't notice any "mushy" interface until the shoe cleats need replaced (intentionally softer cleat wears out so the pedal does not)...and more often than not, my first step to the pedal is engaging; no lifting and reseating and spinning the pedal for the cleat to engage.

Favorite Trail:   Backyard Trails

Purchased At:   Hawley's Bicycle Sho

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 570 or somethin' close

Bike Setup:   HT Stumpy with Shimano XT drivetrain

Submitted by Evan55 a Cross Country Rider from VA

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2009

Weaknesses:    No feedback (click) when clipping in.
Releases too easily and unpredictably.

Bottom Line:
These pedals answer a question that nobody asked. 4 way entry seems to be the only gimmick that sets these pedals apart.
Ive never had a problem getting the right side on SPDs, they are 2 sided and 1 of the sides is always facing the right way.

However, I still decided to give them a shot after a couple riding buddies swear by them.

First impression was not great because they give no feedback (click) when you clip in. I couldnt tell I was clipped in, and thats not a good feeling when you are getting back on the bike about to go down a gnarly downhill.
I have hit a rock with the bottom of the pedal and it released.
Yesterday I came out of the pedal unintentionally while climbing (and slammed my ankle into the pedal which feels good today) which has never happened to me for SPD.

Otherwise they have been 'ok' pedals. Once you get used to the mushy clip in, they are fine most of the time, but ultimately they provide zero advantages over SPD, and some pretty big disadvantages.

Favorite Trail:   GW Forest

Similar Products Used:   SPD

Submitted by RIfreeDE a Cross Country Rider from Cave Creek, AZ

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2009

Strengths:    Sheds anything including mud, dirt, sand and snow very well. 4 places to clamp into. Simple design.

Weaknesses:    Can break when impacted by a rock. Weight!

Bottom Line:
I am writing this review because I have been riding these pedals for over 10 years and have recently been let down by them. I recentl broke a pair that was on my bike for a year, one of the wings cracked off. Prior to that I have never broken a pair. In the three weeks following the broken pair I have broken 3 more sets of these pedals. The company must have changed the metal composition and metallurgy of this product. I am sure many of you know how it is to break a pedal on a ride, SUX! I have not attempted to call the manufacturer as I really don;t have time. Just have four sets of these pedals piled up in the corner of my garage. I didn't even hit rocks, changed the cleats on the last two sets. No reason other than what I stated above about the manufacturing prcoess could these have failed. Yes, the last three sets were all new out of the box. I am now riding Speedplay Frogs and love them. Always prefered the extra rotation and play these pedals grant you. They are much lighter and I think even more basic mechanically. The springs on those eggbeaters seem to be the issue.

Favorite Trail:   Double Bipass

Purchased At:   Various Places

Similar Products Used:   SPD, TIME...etc.

Bike Setup:   Carbon X, Full SRAM X...FOX

Submitted by derek1387 a Cross Country Rider from st joe

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2008

Strengths:    Lok good, different design, inexpensive, mud shedding

Weaknesses:    hard to "find" with your foot when you have big feet. No surface to pedal when not clipped in. Weird feeling when clipped in

Bottom Line:
As inexpensive as they are, they are great. They look good, work well in the mud, but i dont think i would buy them again. I think i will end up getting a bigger platform pedal soon, as i really dont care about weight (im 6'4", 280)

Other than that, looks good, rides well in the mud. Make sure you stay clipped in!

Favorite Trail:   Landahle

Purchased At:   Forces of Nature

Similar Products Used:   SPD 535's

Bike Setup:   Custom frame, Reba SL, 650B rear and 29r front, LX components, Truvativ cranks, Raceface stem and seat post, WTB saddle, Origin 8 Carbon bars

Submitted by iluvtobike a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2008

Strengths:    Easy to use, easy to clip in and out of, allow your foot to float, lightweight, good customer service from Crank Brothers

Weaknesses:    Not very durable. In the last 1.5 years I have broken the spring on 4 different pedals, 3 of them broke while riding on the road and the forth broke climbing a steep section of a trail while I was pulling up. After the spring breaks, you can no longer clip in, which ruins your ride. Also, the cleats wear out way too fast. I ride about 2000 mountain miles a year and have had to replace cleats as many as three times in one year. Also, not only do the cleats wear-out fast, the wings get loose over time which allows you to come un-clipped when pedaling, which for me has nearly ended in a couple of nasty wrecks. I have 5 bikes, all of which have egg beaters, so for me to replace the pedal on all my bikes it will be quite expensive. But I guess if I do, I will save money in the long run, because I won't have to buy a bunch of new cleats every year. All I can say is it is a good thing that Crank Brothers has good customer service and has always fixed my broken pedals without any static or they would have lost my business a couple of years ago. I hope they can fix the durability of these pedals - they should last longer than a year or two.

Bottom Line:
Good pedal that perform great when new, but once the cleat wears and pedal has a 1000 or so miles on it, it starts to wear out and becomes weak and could break at any time.

Favorite Trail:   Wasatch Crest

Purchased At:   Cedar Cycle

Similar Products Used:   I've used Wellgo and SPD but they were a different pedal

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth, Specialized Stumpjumper, Diamondback XR-8, and a few different Specialized Allez road bikes.

Submitted by Phatboy roadie a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2008

Strengths:    design and strength, easy in and out. Cost: $40 to $80 depending on where purchased.

Weaknesses:    Bearing wear after 2-3 years and about 4000 miles. Is that a weakness or good durability?

Bottom Line:
Great pedals. No problems during the years I have used these. I have had two sets of these for two and three years respectively, mounted originally on my MTB but for most of their lives on my roadbikes. The two pair have about 8000 miles between them over the last three years.

The newer set seems to be in need of a rebuild but it was NEVER greased for the two years after their installation and it has developed a click that belated greasing can't seem to correct. Alas. I abused them, or at least neglected them and will pay the price. For a 225 Lb. rider who put in lots of miles, they have lasted far beyond the $40 I paid for them originally and if I can rebuild them, I will.

I just replaced the cleats which finally gave out after the 8000 miles between two sets of pedals. I knew they were in need of change when I had two releases on two climbs. The cleats were the better part of three years and FAR beyond their expected life, I believe. Other than that, I never had a premature release while I have owned them.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in NM

Purchased At:   performance and LBS

Similar Products Used:   SPD pedals, Look Road, Shimano road

Bike Setup:   Road TCR alloy and OCR2 Single speed, Diamondback MTB commuter

Submitted by Josh a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2008

Strengths:    Amazing mud shedding

Weaknesses:    it can be a real challenge to get in or out, impossible to ride without being clipped in

Bottom Line:
It's only been 3 months, but I am sick of these pedals I'm going to get the xtr pedals as soon as possible

Submitted by Bat Bayar a Cross Country Rider from Mclean Va

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2008

Strengths:    Looks cool&Light weight.

Weaknesses:    Already start making a creaking noise when i pedal and pull up stroke,bad sucky noise,feels like i wanna stop pedaling,makes me slow down badly.Cust service sucks,when i called crank brother,told em the problem i am having,they said they would call me back.Never did,

Bottom Line:
Dont buy this,I am going to get time atac,Heard a lot of good things of them.

Favorite Trail:   Gambrill State park

Purchased At:   Performance bike

Bike Setup:   Gary fisher super caliber 29er, and Gt peace 9er SS

Submitted by Ian Stevenson a Cross Country Rider from Camino, California, USA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2007

Strengths:    easy entry

Weaknesses:    soft aluminum cones

Bottom Line:
Pedals came stock on my new bike. I was impressed with them at first because of ease of entry and platform. On the first ride, 16 miles of fire road and easy single track, I bent the right spindle and destroyed the soft aluminum cone. All other pedals I have had lasted many years without problems. Don't waste your money.

Similar Products Used:   SPD, Look, and Onza

Submitted by Pete Hall a Racer from Ann Arbor, Mi, USA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2007

Strengths:    Light, Simple, Looks Pretty Cool, Good mud shedding properties

Weaknesses:    Durability over a year or two is bad, Excessive wear, Super Soft Cleats (wear out in a matter of 2-3 months, I've never had any Time ATAC or SPD cleats wear out so quickly), Lack of platform creates pressure on ball of foot when not wearing super stiff soled shoes (like Sidi)and a very slick surface when you can't get your cleat in right away, complete lack of adjustability (ie no adjustably in spring tension)

Bottom Line:
Initially, I loved these pedals. They were light, quite a simple design, and shed mud very well. It is very easy to grease them and the grease tends to stay there. After about 3/4 of the 1st season, my cleats wore out. I was not surprised, they are made of a very soft brass. The problem is ,that as the wings on the pedals are worn and develop play (more on that in a second) the cleats wear out at an alarming rate, like around 2-3 months depending on if your riding in lots of mud. This was very disappointing, and much faster than any other pedal/cleat combo I've ever used.
The pedals them selves developed alarming amounts of play over the first two seasons. The bushings in the pedal went first, which is to be expected, bushings wear out and are easily replaced. I was very dismayed when the wings which are what actually hold you into the pedal started to wear out, creating huge amounts of back and forth play in the cleat pedal connection. I tried a brand new pair of cleats to remedy the situation, it barely helped and 1.5 months later they were worn out. The problem with the wings wearing out is that they are not replaceable, you simple need to buy new pedals.
The other thing that has bugged me over the past 3 seasons is the lack of a platform means that for a person not wearing a super stiff soled shoe (like Sidi's non carbon soles for example), you can sometimes feel the spindle that all your pedaling force is being pushed through in the ball of your feet. Longer rides exacerbated the problem. After a 6 hour race, the balls of my feet were killing me because of the force.
I've decided that this past season was my last on the egg beaters. I'm going to look into the Times, which I used to have several years ago, because they have good mud properties as well.