Crank Brothers Egg Beater 4Ti Pedal

Weight : 167 grams

4 main components made of titanium

Submitted by krausedmb a Racer from Breckenridge,CO

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight, Easy to get in and out of, Easy to service

Weaknesses:    Need to be serviced about every 8-12 months.

Bottom Line:
If you are trying to keep the wieght on your race bike down (and you are under 175 lbs) this is your pedal. If it weren't for the fact that they need a bearing kit (18 bucks) every 8 months these pedals would get a 5. I didn't lube the pedal much on the first go round so I will do that more this time and see if the bearing lasts longer.

Favorite Trail:   X10U8

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT spd pedals

Submitted by mtbnozpikr a Cross Country Rider from Logan, UT

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2010

Strengths:    Extremely light, aesthetically pleasing, mud-shedding design works well. Crank Brothers support is very impressive.

Weaknesses:    Expensive

Bottom Line:
These pedals are expensive and have a rider weight limit but I think that if you are into parts this light, you kind of have to be considerate of your weight for more than just your pedals. They simply work and do it well.

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   SPD

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Sewanee, full XTR, Fox F100 RLC, Fox RP23

Submitted by zarf1 a Cross Country Rider from Perth, WA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2009

Strengths:    weight, Ease of clipping unclipping, Smoothness, Look cool

Weaknesses:    Limited area and feel for wheelies etc. But you get used to them after a while.

Bottom Line:
These are ace pedals. I have been moving between these and SpDs and could not make up my mind. The spds are great but I've gone back to these as I find them far easier to clip in and out of on steep terrain. I feel locked in with the spds and this effects confidence when the going gets tough. Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Gungun

Purchased At:   Velogear

Similar Products Used:   shimano spds

Bike Setup:   specialized Epic comp with da bomb

Submitted by BrentP a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, AB

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2008

Strengths:    Extremely light. Nothing else comes close.
Coolness factor.
4 positions for entry.

Weaknesses:    Lack of durability. I probably have less than 400 km on them, and already I have broken one of the titanium clip-in wings right off (from a rock impact, I assume). I've sent an email to Crank Brothers about repair, so I'll wait to see how good/bad their service is.

I find entry to be very finicky, and thus they are not good at all if you ride steep technical terrain. I find it impossible to click into them on the first attempt, unlike my Shimano's, and it takes several pedal strokes and much hunting/pushing/stabbing to get the cleat to engage. When trying to get into them on steep technical terrain, you're pretty much screwed because after a couple of pedal revolutions without being able to lock in, and with a non-existent platform, you're pretty much toast and stopped with your foot down after about 3-4 seconds. On smooth cross country terrain, or on the road (these would make an excellent road pedal) you're fine, but on steep technical (rocky, rooty) terrain, these are the most frustrating things imaginable. I plan on either going back to my two-sided Shimanos (which I can click into first try, every time) or might try the Candy's so that at least I have a platform and can pedal if I miss the engagement on my first few attempts.

The other thing I don't like is that there is far too much float, which makes them feel very insecure and has causes wear on the inside heel area of my right shoe from contact with the crank.

Bottom Line:
Great for weight weenies who ride smooth, XC trails. Horrible if you ride trails with a lot of technical climbing where you are likely to loose momentum periodically and 'dab' your foot, because you will find it very hard to get back into the pedals. I find I often need to push the bike to a flat spot (or tree I can lean against) so I can clip back in, where I've never had a problem with my regular Shimano pedals. I bought these to help get the weight down on my race bike, but they're more hassle than they're worth, and don't function as well as I was expecting.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in K-Country

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur XC with a full race setup - 23.5 lbs, including pedals.

Submitted by BrentP a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, AB

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2008

Strengths:    Extremely light. Nothing else comes close.
Coolness factor.
4 positions for entry.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in K-Country

Submitted by Mark from Seal Beach

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2008

Strengths:    I'm a cyclocross rider and I find these pedals the easiest to get in and out of. They seem to clip in without me even thinking about it.
Nice that they come in a shorter spindle length too since I'm sensitive to the Q factor.

Weaknesses:    Price. Getting them as a gift offsets this weakness though ;)

Bottom Line:
Pricey, but what a difference the coating makes when entering/exiting these pedals!

Ask Santa for a set for sure.

Similar Products Used:   Candys, other flavors of Egg Beaters form Crank Bros

Bike Setup:   Several. SS 'Cross and SS MTB

Submitted by Al a Cross Country Rider from MN

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, easy of entry/release, great in mud

Weaknesses:    Cost, noisy, bearings, grease fitting

Bottom Line:
I got these pedals as a weight saver over my Time Atac Carbons which I've had for 6yrs. Had some Expedo Ti pedals, broke 2pr in 2 years and decided to move on to the CB 4Ti which are less than half the weight of the Times.

Pedals are suprisingly easy to get in and out of, despite not having a tension adjustment like SPD's. My Times with no tension adjustment required me to shave the cleats to get the release low enough, not so with the CB's. These have the perfect balance of smooth entry/release and float while in the pedal. I don't ride much in the mud, but when I have release hasn't been affected like my old SPD's. I had some reservations, having read some negative comments about riders with Eggbeaters being ejected from the pedal when the bottom side hits a rock or root and opens the top side. Happily, I havn't had this issue in the few months I've owned them.

The down side of these pedals is that they generated really annoying clicking noises with every pedal stroke. I liberally applied some Pedro's Syn Grease to the outside of the pedal body and it went away, hoopefully it stays this way. Also, the pedals will make a buzzing sound if you're pedaling at about 20mph with some cornering. I repacked the bearings with Pedros Syn, but it has not gone away. The pedals use a plastic bushing on the inboard side and bearing on the outboard side, pretty cheesy compared to Time that uses two inboard and one outboard bearing. One more thing about the bearings, CB gives you a grease fitting which allows you to remove the end cap of the pedal, thread in fitting and pump fresh grease from the outboard side to the inboard side and out the seal. This is an excellent idea to save time on maintenance, unfortunately the pressure required from a bike grease gun to force the new grease through partially dislodges the inboard grease seal leaving the spindle and bushing vulnerable as well as decreasing freedom of pedal movement.

Considering the high price, I would have expected more, at least a better bearing system than their low end models. I only have a few hundred miles on them so far, so long term durability is unknown - I have my doubts, but at least rebuild kits are cheap at $15!