Crank Brothers Egg Beater 2 Pedal

2.75/5 (8 Reviews)

Reliability, simplicity, and mud-clearing all describeThe Egg Beater pedals from Crank Brothers weight: 272g per pair spindle: forged scm435 chromoly steel body: cast stainless steel wings: stamped steel spring: 300 series stainless steel inner bearing: bushing

Submitted by Willy a Cross Country Rider from Holly Springs

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2012

Strengths:    Light. Relatively inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    Does not make a definitive clicking sound when engaging. Once nearly broke my neck when my foot came out of the pedal during a bunny hop. Incredibly cheap plastic end caps are nearly impossible to remove if the flathead feature stripps.

Bottom Line:
Crank brothers needs to go back to the basics like using durable materials and ensuring that they design safe products. Forget about fancy colors and graphics, focus on making a good product! Plastic end caps are a terrible idea. Why did they think a flathead tightening feature would be a good idea in plastic? They have let aesthetics take precedence over functionality. I agree with some of the other comments that it is no longer obvious when your foot is properly clicked into the pedal. This was not the case when I first started using eggbeaters nearly ten years ago. Unfortunately I will no longer purchase egg beater pedals.

Favorite Trail:   San lee

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey, shimano

Bike Setup:   Single speed Specialized Rockhopper SL.

Submitted by Trailrocker a Weekend Warrior from Orlando,Fl,USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight,Looks cool

Weaknesses:    Hard to clip in.

Bottom Line:
I bought these as my first set of clipless pedals, because I head from a few people that they were a good product. They are lightweight and have a unique look to them, but they can be very difficult to clip into. I have had more frustration with these pedals than anything else on my bike, and I like crank bros stuff!!! Even after riding them for a YEAR, there is no improvement.The pedals are super easy to get out of (good and bad at times) Overall I am not satisfied with these and will be looking for something else. Any suggestions?

Favorite Trail:   Balm Boyette

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Specialized rock hopper comp

Submitted by MartinC a Weekend Warrior from San Diego,CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight
Float

Weaknesses:    Difficult to clip into
Rusts

Bottom Line:
Terrible. Bought the Egg Beater 2's to save some weight over my ancient XTR's when building a new bike. Big mistake - the Eggbeaters may be light but the weight savings are not worth it. The biggest problem is clipping in. Engagement is not only difficult, but it is also unclear when the pedal actually engages. After a couple of weeks with these pedals, including buying the optional stainless plates to go below the cleats and shaving sections off my SIDI shoes in an attempt to help, I fetted my old XTR's and they are way better with easy positive engagement and a better platform. Oh, and after 2 weeks the Eggbeaters are rusting.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Old XTR SPD pedals

Bike Setup:   2011 Superlight, XT/XTR etc

Submitted by tcazes a Cross Country Rider from ruston

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2011

Strengths:    light, strong, reliable, consistent

Bottom Line:
these paired with bontrager mtb shoes is a great combination. the pedals are extremely easy to clip in and out of when installed EXACTLY like the instructions suggest. over all i have been beating these pedals in dirt, rock, you name it and they are holding up great. work wonderful for daily commute as well! wouldn't have bought anything different!

Favorite Trail:   lincoln parish park

Purchased At:   capitol cyclery

Bike Setup:   ss 02 marin bear valley, manitou fork, wtb speed v saddle, bontrager foam grips, eggbeater 2's, shimano crank, serfas vermin wheels...

Submitted by spcally a Weekend Warrior from Golden

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2011

Strengths:    Easy to install, simple design

Weaknesses:    Hard to unclip and difficult to clip in.

Bottom Line:
Decent price and light weight but the difficulty of clipping in and out makes it hard to recommend.

Favorite Trail:   Three Sisters

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   GF HiLo 29'er 2009 full suspension

Submitted by kdihlong a Cross Country Rider from Mt Dora

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2011

Strengths:    Simple design- no adjustments (except shims on cleats if needed)
Easy to clip in and out. Not sure what mgreen's problem is. Maybe shoe type or HUGE feet preventing 15deg rotation. After reading his review I tried my shoes in the positions he described and no prob.
Tough- bashed into a number of rocks HARD and the pedals are still there. The wings are pretty solid.
Comfortable- some (about EB3)say you feel pedal pressure through shoe. No so with me. I have a pair of $80 shoes and they feel great.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
I just can't see buying anything else. These things are simple, work well, tough, and the price is competitive. Bought my wife EB-1. She loves them too. My son highjacked his mom's bike and shoes to try them out and he loves them too. If you are worried about some of the negative reviews I would say buy the pedals and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS before installing cleats. And if you have a problem READ INSTRUCTIONS AGAIN- this time CAREFULLY.

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Never used clip-in type pedals before.

Submitted by beanbaguk a Weekend Warrior from Vienna, Austria

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2010

Strengths:    Superbly smooth bearings are a delight! I had these pedals fitted to my 2010 Trek 2.5 road bike. They also don't bother my knees like SPD's do.

Although it's a little odd for a road bike, I have a set of Mallet 2's on my Stumpy FSR so it avoids having to buy another pair of shoes.

Unlike the other review, they are very easy to clip into and to get out of. I've had no problems so it would seem the last reviewer didn't fit the cleats correctly with the shims provided.

I can't fault these pedals.

Weaknesses:    None so far, although perhaps they are not 100% ideal for road use but it's hardly a weakness.....

Bottom Line:
Awesome pedal and the 2011 model is the best yet. The bearings are insanely awesome and even better than before. Plus you get a 5 year warranty now.

Favorite Trail:   Semmering or Donau Road

Purchased At:   Mountainbiker.at

Similar Products Used:   Crank Brother Mallet 2, Crank Brother Candy, Shimano M505, Shimano XT SPD

Bike Setup:   Trek 2.5 2010

Submitted by mgreen a Cross Country Rider from Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, good float angle,

Weaknesses:    cant unclip pedals in certain areas. Harder to clip in than other pedals.

Bottom Line:
These pedals were installed and adjusted as per Crank brother instruction. In certain areas of the pedal cycle I am completely unable to unclip from these pedals. The zone starts when the pedal is at the lowest point and extends to when the pedal is fully back (pointing towards the rear wheel). When the pedal is in this zone the toe touches the crank an prevents the shoe from rotating the required 15 degrees to get out. I have taken measurements, and only attain 10 degrees, which is not enough to release the pedal. The result is that you are unable to release regardless of the the effort. The cleats were in the middle of the stroke and there is sufficient cleareance betwee the cleat and the pedal. I sustained two injuries on seperate occasions due to this issue. I have communicated this issue with crank brothers who have been very responsive although offer no viable solution. I am using Louis Garneau Montana mountain bike shoes. I am a seasoned rider and have had no issue with my previious shimano pedals. I purchased these due to the weight savings, increased float angle, and general good reviews. I will be returning these pedal despite these advantages as I do not wish to risk any further injury. If you do purchase these pedals, please test that you can release within the described zone. Your safety depends on you ability to unclip from your pedals throughout the entire pedal stroke.

Purchased At:   mec