Crank Brothers Egg Beater 11 Pedal

The top-of-the-line Crank Brothers Egg Beater 11 pedal features a titanium spindle, body and wings, and weighs a lean 174 grams per pair.

Submitted by osokolo

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, easy to click in and out, best mud shedding pedals, light

Weaknesses:    price

Bottom Line:
After about a season of use, I can give these pedal top mark for quality and reliability. Value is severely crippled by the price of the product, but to build such a light pedals that will withstand off-road abuse - you pay for what you get. Weight limit has been increased to 195 pounds, which gave me more confidence to try them on my bikes. I weigh exactly 195 and was a bit skeptical. Raced the hell out of them, banged them a few times in rocky terrain, sometimes it was pretty violent... Honestly, after the last hit I would not have expected them to survive - but they did... took them apart to check for potential damage - found none. Springs are still tight as day one, bearings are smooth, no play anywhere. Easy maintenance and simple design. Crank Brothers support is second to none. Kudos!

Strongly recommended.

Submitted by stamd1 a Cross Country Rider from Colorado

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2011

Strengths:    light weight and consistent entry and release

Bottom Line:
I have a pair of 4Ti Eggbeaters also. The redesign is definitely better. The pedals spin smoother and there is no play in between the cleat and pedal.

Submitted by zigi23 a Weekend Warrior from Jakarta, Indonesia

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, design

Weaknesses:    Pricey, unreliable

Bottom Line:
I am a 165lbs rider, which is much lower than the 187lbs rider weight limit. I use this pedal only for street ride, never offroad/trail ride.
On my third trip, the pedal start to make a "ticking" noise. I brought it back to the shop, they said its a loose spindle to bearing. They replaced the bearing. Two rides after that, the ticking noise came back.
This never happened to my xtr pedal nor to the much cheaper eggbeater sl.

Definitely not worth the money. Its ridiculous for the price I paid.

Favorite Trail:   Telaga Warna

Purchased At:   Bagus Bike

Similar Products Used:   Eggbeater SL, Shimano XTR

Bike Setup:   Merlin XLM, SID Worldcup, ZTR Olympic, American Classic hubs, Maxxis 310 tyres, XTR 975 Groupset, KCNC ultralite seatpost, Selle Italia SLR, Syntace f99 Stem, Raceface next sl handlebar, Tune headset, Tune skewer

Submitted by Old Friend Jim a Cross Country Rider from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2010

Strengths:    Consistant feel for cliping-in and out, light weight, solidly holds my feet on the pedals for control and power transfer, float

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I have been considering switching to the Egg Beaters for years and finally made the jump because of frustration with inconsistent relase from my SPDs and difficult entering SPDs when riding in snow, with mud on shoes, etc. So far I have been pleased with the Egg Beaters, they definately clear mud better than the SPDs and I estimate they will also clear snow and ice better as well. After my first ride on them I felt they released more consistantly than SPDs and still feel that way after a dozen or so rides--I belive this has to do with the design and how the cleat engages and releases from the pedals, the springs are only to hold your cleat in, the release is not dependent upon the spring as with many other designs. So far I feel more confident riding the Egg Beaters than I did with the SPDs. I often ride rocky terrain and so far, other than a few scratches, the Egg Beaters are holding up solidly.