Crank Brothers Egg Beater 1 Pedal

3.25/5 (8 Reviews)

Legendary simplicity and mud shedding capabilities are found onThe Egg Beater weight: 256g per pair spindle: forged scm435 chromoly steel body: stamped steel wings: stamped steel spring: 300 series stainless steel inner bearing: bushing outer bearing:

Submitted by John a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2013

Strengths:    Lightweight, cheap, and excellent customer service

Weaknesses:    Unreliable and break often

Bottom Line:
I have been using SPD style pedals for over 15 years and haven't had any problems until recently when the pedal started binding up. Figured after that long it was time for a new set of pedals anyway so I decided to try the eggbeaters because so many people seem to rave about them.

I tried them out and immediately liked the smooth clip out. Clipping in was insanely difficult for me though and never got much easier. One neat thing about these pedals is you can clip in by dragging your foot backwards. It doesn't work if you're trying to pedal forward but still an interesting feature. These pedals do have a lot of float. Not as much as speedplays but I didn't feel very confident bombing down a steep hill or taking jumps when my feet feel like they're on ice. However, with time the confidence builds since I didn't have any accidental unclips.

Now the bad... Like I said, clipping in is insanely difficult. 4 sides entry is a joke considering your foot has to be perfectly aligned. A little off center and you don't go in. If you catch your cleat on the forward hook, the pedal doesn't really roll over. If you're on any kind of technical terrain and you can't get in the pedal, you have nothing to stand on because metal cleats and carbon or hard composite soles on two tiny pegs offers no grip. If you bash the bottom of your pedal on a rock, it will unclip you if you hit it hard enough. All of these bad features are massively overshadowed by the fact that the spring doesn't stay seated in it's slot so when it slips out, the entire pedal is useless...not just 1 or 2 sides...the entire pedal. Basically the pedal collaspes on itself making it something you can't clip into nor can you stand on it because it's too small. This happened to me on the 2nd ride and 4th ride (about 30 miles). 2 out of 4 rides was all I could stand. Thankfully I had pliers and a screwdriver in my pack to get them back in but still required 4 hands and a lot of time to do it. If I didn't have those tools, it would've ruined a good ride. At least with SPD's, if you completely trash one side of the pedal, you can ride the rest of the day with the other side of the pedal. You just have to be more mindful which side you clip into.

On the plus side, I contacted crank brothers via email and described the situation since a friend told me he had the same problem but he just tossed the pedals in the trash. Customer service told me that the pedals were defective and said to fill out a warranty claim on their website and they would take care of me. I did have to pay shipping to send them back but they were in contact with me the entire time telling me they received my item, a couple days later they said they planned to replace the pedals, and another week later, I had a new set of pedals on my doorstep. So customer service is pretty awesome.

One thing I did note from customer service was this... They said that the pedals were defective but the replacement pedals have a plastic spacer between the spring and the body ensuring they can't slide out of the slot. Since no new pedals come with this, it makes me think that there was nothing wrong with the pedals at all and some people just use them in a way that makes the spring jump.

Duration Product Used:   2 weeks

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Submitted by Steve Martin a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight, easy to clip out.

Weaknesses:    Hard to clip in in technical situations

Bottom Line:
I got these petals because my Time Atac's were wearing out. Also at $39.00 how could I go wrong. After using there petals for 3 month I was still having problems clipping in. When riding in technical situations you don't have time to fuss with your petals. I am back to using Time Atac petals witch I have be happy with for 20 years. Bottom line, if you just ride fire roads they are fine. Technical riding don't use egg Beaters.

Submitted by torque29er a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2012

Strengths:    Light. Strong. Easy to clip in and out of.
Very inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    None Yet.

Bottom Line:
I switched from other clip in pedals because of the lighter weight. I'm glad I did.
I have found these to be extremely easy to get in and out of. Any side of the pedal will engage quite easily. There are two clip-in angles that you can choose from for clipping in. One is easier than the other. Instructions are included for this.
I haven't experienced any of the negative issues yet that others have posted on the reviews.

My shoe bottoms did need a little trimming to get them perfect. I won't issue a negative for this because it might be the shoes and not the pedals.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, XTR's, M520's, M324's,

Submitted by SilviuCaragea a Cross Country Rider from Timisoara

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2012

Strengths:    Looks very nice, weight 270grams a pair

Weaknesses:    First thing to notice is that is possible to clip in regardless of the pedal position. All most true... two sides work great (the ones when the foot push back the spring), when the spring has to push forward it is far more difficult. In the beginning you think it will take you to get used with that... nop... you don't..

Bottom Line:
100grams less(compare to PD-M520) does not worth the clipping frustration....

Purchased At:   bikecomponents.de

Similar Products Used:   PD-M520

Bike Setup:   Kona Caldera 2011 - Deore XT line

Submitted by IdentitCrisis a Cross Country Rider from Eau Claire, WI

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2011

Strengths:    Killer Looks, MAde by Crank Bros

Weaknesses:    Cleat loosened laterally on the spindle. Weight.

Bottom Line:
These pedals were just horrible for me. Along with the warranty issue my feel kept slipping out of the pedals and once they were out it was near impossible to for me to find where to get back in them. I have heard the higher grade pedals are easier to get back into, but I am unwilling to try another set when my old SPD's work vey well. I am giving not the pedals, but Crank Bros 4 chillis for their great customer service, not my ebay seller who never answered any of my requests. Thanks to customer service Crank Bros sticker will remain on my car!!!

Favorite Trail:   Jim's @ Trek

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Candy C

Bike Setup:   2007 Anthem 0

Submitted by nkranhold a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City, MO

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2011

Strengths:    Light, look nice, pretty easy to clip in

Weaknesses:    Easy to slip out without feeling the edge of the float. I smashed the wing on the right pedal so now i can only enter on two sides. Im thinking about trying some Shimanos.

Bottom Line:
Decent pedal could be stronger and more structured. I'm a little angry they bend so easily though.

Bike Setup:   2010 GF Rig.

Submitted by sevenzero a Cross Country Rider from Califa

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2011

Strengths:    The clip design is simple engineering marvel

Weaknesses:    None so far, first ride was this AM

Bottom Line:
Everyone should buy these pedals, if you are new to clipless pedals (like me) and reading this, don't be afraid of the minimalist nature of these pedals, you can still pedal on them clipped out even with just the little stick. I guess depending on what shoe you have. I have a shimano mountain shoe and it works pretty good clipped out too. Instant confidence, these pedals are amazing. I honestly don't notice a huge difference clipped out with these than the mallet pedals I was using before these. Well worth the $49.00

Favorite Trail:   Your Mom