Crank Brothers Candy Ti Pedal

• 2-sided all-mountain pedal
  • 4-sided entry
  • easy entry and exit
  • spd® compatible*
  • fully rebuildable, easy maintenance
  • excellent 2 year warranty
  • superior mud shedding design
  • titanium spindle, fiber composite platform, carbon steel wings

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by dosas a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2010

Strengths:    Normal Crank Bros Strength: easy clip in, solid platform, no clogging.

Weaknesses:    Weak spindle!

Bottom Line:
    Rode the pedals for less than two years and the spindle broke. I'm below the weight limit, ride aggressive XC but no huge drops.

Crank Bros claims a 2-year warranty, but recommends returning the pedals every year to be rebuilt (at your cost). Otherwise, "You didn't follow the recommended maintenance." WTF?

I still ride Candy Pedals, but buy the cheaper ones and consider them disposable. I took a spare set on a recent trip to Utah and guess what: I needed them.

Favorite Trail:   Stanford Rock

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   SPD (Shimano, Ritchey), Candy, Candy C

Bike Setup:   Jet 9 w/Reba

Submitted by miceden a Cross Country Rider from Winchester, UK

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2010

Strengths:    Weight, looks

Weaknesses:    Ti spindles and bushings... find them a bit difficult to clip into

Bottom Line:
    Bought from new and installed on my brand new custom Whyte 19... first 60mi were no problem but after that the pedals started to make a creaking noise

Stipped the pedals down and found that an entire band of the gold coating on both of the titanium spindles had worn away in the area where the inner bushing makes contact with it... there was plenty of grease in the pedal when I found this but I cleaned out the entire body and re-greased.

Next 30 odd miles were no problem... but then the creaking noise gradually came back... it creaks when i'm in the saddle not putting much power down and really creaks when i'm out of the saddle putting a lot of power down.

Weight limit on the CB ti spindles is 85kg and i'm well within that at 78kg before anyone thinks i'm a bat fastard putting too much weight on them.

The bushing and seal system on the CB pedals is hit or miss... i've run 2ti eggbeaters for over 1500mi and never had this problem, have friends that are happy with their candys and eggbeaters, some that arent and have this same problem or worse with dirt getting through the seal... CB's new lineup of pedals with better seals and needle bearings replacing the inner bushing should hopefully get around this issue!

With some gift vouchers and a discount code I only paid about £47 for my set of pedals... so i'll live with the creaking and just re-grease regularly until they become unrideable.

Would I buy Candy's again... creaking aside I find them a bit hard to clip into so personally no.

Would I recommend them... I wouldn't slate them, if you have a hassle free set they are nice pedals and do the job perfectly, but i'd caution against the possible issues one could have with them.

Purchased At:   CRC

Similar Products Used:   Crank Brother Eggbeaters, Shimano XTR

Bike Setup:   Custom Whyte 19 Carbon Race, Sram XO drivetrain, alu Hollowgram SI cranks (2x9), Magura Durin SL, ZTR Alpine wheelset

Submitted by zmille2 a Weekend Warrior from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2009

Strengths:    Weight and durability. No adjustments necessary. Easy to bail out of.

Weaknesses:    None except price. But you usually get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
    I would buy these pedals again in a heart beat if I had to make the choice again. I have over 2k miles on them and I have never had issues with them. I recently moved them to my road bike because I like them so much and haven't found a road pedal that I like better.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   several Shimano pedals. These are much better than Shimano.

Bike Setup:   Titus Switchblade with XTR components, dual control shifters, Fox Talas 130mm fork, Mavic crossmax wheelset.

Submitted by Davo a Cross Country Rider from Highlands Ranch, CO

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, easy to clip in and out, customer service. I like the platforms for getting a few cranks on the steeps before clipping in.

Weaknesses:    Platform damages easily on ends damaging the seal with the internal bearings and bushings.

Bottom Line:
    Great pedal for the money. Very light weight - 100 gms. lighter than my Atacs and 180 gms. lighter than my Shimanos. Had problems after 18 mos. where the end cap came off (on one of many diggers) and the bearings were exposed to dirt and water - not faring well. Emailed Crank Bros and they had me send them in. They replaced the bearings, platforms and end caps to where they were practically new...BLING! They turned them in a week! I was very impressed and have had no more issues since, just great riding on a predictably easy pedal to get in and out of.

Favorite Trail:   Monarch Crest

Similar Products Used:   Time atac, Shimano

Bike Setup:   GT iDrive, XTR/LX drive, XTR wheels, Monkeylite carbon bars, XTR integrated shifters/brakes

Submitted by Mel a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    prone to unplanned release, fragile, overpriced,

Bottom Line:
    I tried this model, and on the first ride, I popped out of these pedals over five times, some when I jumped, some when I hit technical trail sections. These pedals are not only overpriced, but they just SUCK, and are fragile, one little bump, you're looking at a dent or two. Not only that, I CANNOT recommend this piece of sh*t to anyone, especially for aggressive riders/racers/cross country racers.

Can't see how people like this pedal really, to be blunt! They should be recalled becuase it is plain unsafe.

I got the 07 XTR pedals and let me tell you, THEY ARE THE PEDAL TO GET, period!

Favorite Trail:   East Peak, Mt. Tam

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   07 XTR pedals

Bike Setup:   Merlin XLM with Fox RLC 100 fork, full XTR groupo

Submitted by Dana a Weekend Warrior from Lake Havasu City

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2007

Strengths:    Easy to get in and out of. Customer service.

Bottom Line:
    I started riding the Candy Ti's over a year ago after using the eggbeaters for 6 months. The trails I ride have alot of steep, technical climbs and I found it difficult to get restarted if I didn't clear a particular section. I found the Candies made this easier with the addition of the small platform. I rode my first set of these pedals for a year at which point one of the metal peices broke. I didn't even consider sending them in for warrenty repair since I had ridden them fairly hard. I bought a second pair and broke them (my fault) when I crushed them on a rock on my first ride. I hit the rock hard enough to almost knock me off my bike so it is not surprising that they broke. I e-mailed Crank Brothers who responded within 12 hours. They had me send both pairs back and returned them to me within a week. Both pairs look brand new. I only had to cover the cost of shipping to them. They paid for the return shipping. I love these pedals and the great customer service from Crank Brothers was an added bonus.

Favorite Trail:   Sedona/Gooseberry

Purchased At:   blue sky cycling - online

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD's, speedplay frogs, Crank Brothers eggbeaters and Mallet C's

Bike Setup:   2006 Ibis Mojo Carbon, XTR drivetrain, Fox 32 Talas X

Submitted by JT a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2006

Strengths:    light & shed mud well. Work well for a week or two.

Weaknesses:    One pedal was broken w/in the first month & the second w/in 3 months. Cleats disengage way too easily with only a slight tug or impact. Not a safe situation.

Bottom Line:
    Don't spend $200 on pedals - lesson learned. I'm still using them to remind myself not to make the mistake again. I ride advanced cross-country 2-5 times a week - I say buy something else if you are serious about riding. If you're riding on bike paths or something these would work fine.

Favorite Trail:   Landaul & Minor Park

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Time

Bike Setup:   Epic soft-tail,avid mechanicals,100mm Marzocchi dirt-jumper,tubeless

Submitted by stewart cink a Weekend Warrior from dc

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2005

Strengths:    lightweight, not shimano

Weaknesses:    not adjustable, clips out too easily

Bottom Line:
    unless you don't mind your feet flying off the pedals when you go over a jump or round a corner, don't buy these pedals. not only annoying - dangerous. hugely disappointed, as most of the reviews that i read were so good. i was in the shop today talking to the service guys and they agreed - 'yeah, they're horrible. they break or your feet fly out of them.' this is the first time i've even been motivated to write a review because i think they are that bad. maybe it's my shoes or maybe the standard eggbeaters are better, but i will be changing to speedplay asap? sorry crank brothers.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   shimano spd

Bike Setup:   modified stumpjumper

Submitted by Frank Brigandi a Cross Country Rider from Havertown, PA USA

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight, great design, good mud evac.

Weaknesses:    Tension is not adjustable.... why not?

Bottom Line:
    Nice pedals, they have alot going for them, it'd be great if they had adjustable engage and release tension. The cleat is gargantuan a little weighty. I still prefer my old Ritchey pedals from the early 90's but al of those were recalled for some unsung reason, they engaged and disengaged easily and stayed free of Muck most times.
    I'd reccomend them to someone wanting to save some weight and invest in a solid racing, Cross country pedal. Good value

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   biketopia 610-789-4500

Similar Products Used:   Most Shimano, Ritchey

Bike Setup:   several bikes

Submitted by pat harrington a Cross Country Rider from aurora, colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2004

Strengths:    platform to get into, no mud, easy to maintain, 4 sided entry rules!!!

Weaknesses:    took a bit to get cliped in and at times to clip out, but no worries. had to use extra shimmies for the cleats to clip into the peddels

Bottom Line:
    have had these for 6 months and love it. A few times struggle getting in and out. Have been told by a few people that it takes a year to really learn these peddels. Beats the hell out of toe clips. Did a lot of research on clipless and these in my mind are the best out there.

Favorite Trail:   mary's loop (GJ)

Purchased At:   bicycle village

Bike Setup:   03 fisher tassajara, stock with bar ends

Submitted by jess from nyc

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2004

Strengths:    light
    smooth feeling
    easy click in
    easy out
    simple design
    sheds muds easily

Weaknesses:    expensive

Bottom Line:
    Light. Smooth. Very similar in design to TIME ATACs, but far easier to get out of, in my experience. I started out with Shimano 747's, which were nice. But they didn't work in mud and I was also clicking out unintentionally constantly. Then I switched to Time ATACs. Great in the mud and very positive feedback when clicking in. However, I had a hard time clicking out in emergency situations. After 5 years (and several pedal-induced spills) with ATACs, these Candy's are far far superior. Very smooth feeling. Very easy to get into, but perhaps not quite as positive a click as the Time's. But where they really shine is in bailing out quickly. While I have not yet clicked out unintentionally, I always am able to get out of these when falling.

I simply cannot imagine a better pedal than these.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Time ATAC
    Shimano 747

Bike Setup:   Intense EVP

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2004

Strengths:    Awesome looks, light, good mud shedding, easy entry and exit, much better float than SPD 959s

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    These are miles better than shimano. I felt used to them immediately, with more positive action than shimano and they just felt better. My cleats don't clack on the floor any more so they should last longer. At the price I got them they are the same price as the 959s in England, but 100g lighter, way cooler, and the Ti version come in black!

Favorite Trail:   Welsh Mountains

Similar Products Used:   SPD M959 XTR

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth sub22, SID Race carbons, full XTR, hope/mavic wheels, carbon bars, post etc.

Submitted by B a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2004

Strengths:    Looks, cool red color, ultra light weight (for a near platform), titanium, ease of use/and to unclip

Weaknesses:    still heavy for true weight weenies, cost

Bottom Line:
    I don't know if I would pay $220 MSRP for these--I think the Candy SL's are adequate...but since I got these for a steal, then they are definitely bad ass. I've used the Candy SL's for '03 riding season, and they are simply great--easy to clip in, easy to clip out. These pedals are the cat's MEOW...

Purchased At:   secret

Similar Products Used:   Candy SL, Time ATAC, Shimano SPD 515

Bike Setup:   '03 Ellsworth Truth, XTR cranks, F & R derailleurs and shift pods, Magura Marta SL disk brakes, Crossmax XL wheels, Thompson Elite stem, Easton Monkeylite SL bar, EC90 seatpost, WTB Laser VTi saddle, Chris King headset

Submitted by Tino from Los Angeles, Ca.

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2003

Strengths:    Weight, design, looks great! Nice platform design w/composite materials.

Weaknesses:    Hard to get out of them when clipped in. A bit on the expensive side but you get what you pay for... Only 2 release settings which are adjusted by installing the cleat and not on the pedal itself.

Bottom Line:
    This is a great pedal for the advance rider who can deal with the twist out release. I wouldn't recommend them for a beginner.

To be fair, I'm giving them 4 chilies for the value since they really are nice pedals. I found that a I could eject from them pretty easily when I didn't need an emergency eject (pull the rip cord!). When the $hit hit the fan, I was toast and did my personal impression of Benny Hill and fell right over. ;)

I've read about issues on the Shimano 959's but I think I'll give them a shot since they work w/the multi release clips.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 515's with multi release clips. Simple but they do the job!

Bike Setup:   03 Specialized Epic

Crank Bros Candy Ti axles

Has anyone tried using Candy Ti axles in a Candy 2ti?Read More »

Ti 29er candy

BikesDirect shipped my bike a few weeks ago. I've been slowly assembling parts. Been pretty busy with other things. The bike is almost ready to ride, just awaiting the seatpost which arrived in the wrong size. As spec'd, this is an XC bike. In my case, I'll be using it for gravel, hard pack, fire ro ... Read More »

2008 Racer X Ti - Eye Candy!

Just built yesterday. Gonna ride it today! Replaces my 2007 RX, swapped out parts and added new cranks with rotor rings. [IMG]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u301/MTBXC/titusti001.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u301/MTBXC/titusti005.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i171.photobucket.com ... Read More »

Deal on Cranks Brothers Candy Ti Pedals

Black- Crank Brothers Candy Ti Pedals $120.00 shipped! [url]http://brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=4375[/url]Read More »

Spam: Brand new KM fork, Candy Ti, Wipperman-Red

Brand new KM fork, Candy Ti, Wipperman-Red. [url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.pl?db=MtbReview&website=&language=&session_key=43cbc6832636903a&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=96914&query=retrieval[/url]Read More »