Crank Brothers Candy SL Pedal

3.68/5 (153 Reviews)
Weight : 294 grams MSRP : $120.00

Crank Brothers Candy SL Pedals are lightweight easy to use. The eggbeater technology provides maximum mud clearance and four entry points. Serviceable pedal. 2-sided pedal, 4-sided entry, stainless steel spindle.

Submitted by Koz14 a Cross Country Rider from Canada, Ontario, Dundas

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2012

Strengths:    Very easy to clip in and get out
Very light
Durable

Weaknesses:    Absolutely no problems.

Bottom Line:
These were amazing pedals up untill they got stolen along with my old bike. But I hit them off trees and rocks and had no problems. They were very light and i had no problem clipping and out. Beautiful product. If you are looking to get them THEY ARE AMAZING PEDALS You will love them.

Bike Setup:   Trek superfly al

Submitted by mtber a Weekend Warrior from New Haven, CT US

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2011

Strengths:    Light Weight
Simple Design
Cool Colors
Easy Entry, Easy Release
Easily Rebuild-able

Weaknesses:    Waaay too Fragile
Expensive Rebuild Kit
Break Often / Wouldn't Trust on Long Ride

Bottom Line:
I have been using these pedals for year now, and I don't know why. Well I do know... it's because I have a pair on 4 of my bikes, and since the cleats or proprietary I'd either have to get all new pedals, or pairs of shoes.

My problem with these pedals is the plastic body gets mangled very easily. Once the end cap gets deformed when you hit one rock, they are impossible to regrease and rebuild. In addition, the seals frequently fail.

I want to love these pedals, I really do. But I go through 2 pairs per bike a season and I don't think that's normal.

So bottom line:
Hard technical trail riding - 2 out of 5
Delicate cross country - 4 out of 5

Purchased At:   Back Country

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   Niner Hardtail, Fox Fork, All Shimano XT / XTR

Submitted by Sebastian78 a Weekend Warrior from Stavanger, Norway

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2011

Strengths:    These are very easy in and very easy getting out of in a pinch. They also work like a charm and keep the foot locked down when it should.

Weaknesses:    -----====BREAKAGE!====-----

Bottom Line:

Make NO MISTAKE about it, the reports of breakage is DEFINITELY true. I have been using these for about one year and they have never been banged hard on rocks and I would say normal usage only. End caps are intact.

I was out riding PAVEMENT and approached a small hill. I got out of the saddle and after 5 turns of the krank, suddenly I had no left pedal on my bike anymore. The pedal was actually still stuck on the shoe.

If I had been on a jump or a steep descent or out in traffic, I could have been SERIOUSLY injured.

These pedals are DANGEROUS.

Purchased At:   Chainreaction

Similar Products Used:   Speedplay Frogs, Shimano SPD

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Pro

Submitted by UnumSedLeonem a Weekend Warrior from The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2011

Strengths:    Quite light. Good cost-to-weight ratio (because almost anything else of this weight or lighter is preposterously overpriced).

Weaknesses:    Everything apart from their weight, namely:

1. The cleats wear out faster than they would had they been made of carton!

2. Click-in feedback is nonexistent! You can only guess whether you're attached to the pedal or not (jerking your foot in a right line will help determine that).

3. Even when "attached", your shoe will occasionally disengage at the pedal's whim, not yours. These ingenious pedals will see you launch off your rig in a descent, regardless of your intention. A Dutchman or not, you'll be Flying on occasion. Flying without your bike, that is.

Bottom Line:
The cleats are so soft, I think a toothless witch would crack them between her gums. Ingeniously crafted from the softest metal, the cleats supplied with these pedals will not last longer than a month. They lasted me two weeks! If the bullets fired at Bin Laden were made of this material, Osama would have received the tickle of his life instead of meeting his creator as a result of the clash with the rednecks.

Similar Products Used:   SpeedPlay Frogs, Shimano PD-A530 (dual-interface pedals), Wellgo

Submitted by Daemon[CRO] a Cross Country Rider from Zagreb, Croatia

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2011

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    Read "Bottom Line" down.

Bottom Line:
Horrible pedals. I rode Shimano SPD for a year and then for some reason decided to try these. Here are the bottom lines:

a) They are much harder to get into. SPD system guides and glides the cleat into position. CrankBros system requires you to perform brain surgery with your feet every time you want to clip in.

b) They make horrible noise. At first I thought there is mud between cleat and pedal when engaged and that I am mushing and crunching some rocks that are stuck. But no, even when perfectly clean, under stress the pedals produce sound of crunching rocks.

c) All CB pedals are asymmetrical. Look at the picture of any of them and you will notice that there is a smaller cage and a bigger one. If the smaller one is rotated in front when you try to clip in - god help you. It is freaking impossible to clip in. If you are on an uphill part, where you can clip one foot stationary but need to ride to clip in second one - pray to whatever deity you find dear that BIG cage is in front.

d) They are too silent. When I was buying them, shop keeper told me it is one of the coolest things about them - they are silent to clip in and to clip out. Turns out silence is a bad thing, because you are NEVER 100% sure are you clipped in or not. Shimano SPD might be noisy, but you are freakin' sure that you are in. There is a satisfying CLUNK. With CB, when you slide in, you ALWAYS need to pull foot up to check.

e) After riding them for 2-3 months left pedal BENT. That's right, it bent. It did not crack or something explosive like that, but it is now under (subjective) 4-5 degree to the normal axis.

Horrible product. What's even worse, I am quite sure (I might be wrong tho) that all CB clipless are the same as they are all on the same principle. Expensive ones might not bend, but all other points stand for them as well.

Favorite Trail:   All Mountain, Singletracks.

Similar Products Used:   XT SPD

Bike Setup:   StumpJumper FSR

Submitted by angular momentum a Weekend Warrior from Norcal

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight, good mud shedding

Weaknesses:    Durability

Bottom Line:
These were my first set of clipless, and they made the transition fairly smooth. However, they do not stand up to even moderate abuse. The abuse I speak of is the occasional wash-out or passing hit from a jutting root that impacts the bolt cap that threads into the composite body. Eventually, this cap fell off because the plastic housing gave in. But even before that, the pedals developed some play, about 2-3 mm, side to side.

I wanted to become a believer in the Crank Bro's pedal design, and I still think it to be elegant in it's simplicity and aesthetics, but these were not engineered for my kind of riding. Even if you don't crash or strike your pedals occasionally, I can't see a way around the inevitable play that develops. Get these if you don't ride terribly often or aren't averse to rebuilding them a few times a year.

Favorite Trail:   Demo

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Shimano DX

Bike Setup:   '10 BLTc

Submitted by crazywheels a Racer from New England

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2011

Strengths:    Easy to clip into muddy, light, four sided entry

Weaknesses:    no tension adjustment

Bottom Line:
I been riding these for 5 years with no issues. I have done everything from DH, DJ and racing XC. After 5 years one of the wings broke on my candy's. Other than that no complaints.

Favorite Trail:   anything technical

Purchased At:   Gift

Similar Products Used:   candy c,sl, mallet,spd

Bike Setup:   Transition Covert-fox,xtr,mavic; Yeti ASX-white brothers,xt,atom lab.

Submitted by mkr a Racer from Boulder, co

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2011

Strengths:    Light, Cheap.

Weaknesses:    Cheap. That's what you get. My first and last ride on these pedals. My feet pulled out of the pedal numerous times while standing up pedaling hard up hill. They're not very safe. I nearly hit the handlebars each time. There is way too much play. They do not fit snug while clipped in. Each pedal stoke I could feel my shoe move up and down on pedal.

Bottom Line:
Stick with a quality product like Time. They may cost a bit more and may be a few grams heavier but they'll last forever and run solidly. That will make them worth every dollar.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Time atac

Bike Setup:   Spot SS

Submitted by nedmtb a Weekend Warrior from Nederland, CO USA

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2010

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Fall apart in less then one season
Can kill you
Crank Brothers not behind their products

Bottom Line:
These pedals almost killed me. The plastic end caps wore off and then the "wing" bracket that your cleats connect to broke when I attempted to bunny hop over some rocks and sent me flying over the handle bars. I spent the rest of the day in the hospital getting re-constructive surgery on one of my knees and was out for the season.

I would never ride these pedals again, but what really pissed me off is Crank Brothers response. After being laid up with the injury and training for months to recover, I sent the broken pedal back to Crank Brothers. I assumed that these pedals must be defective, that the wing brackets wouldn't just break like that. That would be unsafe, right?

Not according to Crank Brothers. Apparently the plastic end caps had fallen off and therefore the pedal failed and they were not responsible. I argued that pedals that have end caps that were plastic and could simply fall off at anytime wasn't safe and should be considered defective. They had no answer and didn't care that I rode the pedals less then one year and nearly killed myself, they would not replace them. They suggested that I should pay $50 to have them upgraded or rebuilt.

I’ve have several other brand pedals that I've ridden for years and never had any kind of failure. I bought these pedal because they were light and I wanted to try something different...BIG MISTAKE.

I think you'd be insane to buy these pedals, losing those few extra grams is not worth a trip to the hospital and a season lost.

Favorite Trail:   The down right dirty

Purchased At:   Cutting Edge Sports

Similar Products Used:   Time

Bike Setup:   ML8/XTR

Submitted by pinoycyclist a Racer from mcallen,texas

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2010

Strengths:    easy in and out,sturdy and light

Weaknesses:    not the smoothiest bearing around for the price,pedal erodes the cleats sooner as i expected,expensive

Bottom Line:
so far im not convinced to try other brands yet;im very satisfied with these pedals and did i mention its rebuildable...sweet...

Similar Products Used:   time,eggbeater

Bike Setup:   giant nrs carbon,fox fx80,sram xo's drivetrain,avid ultimate stoppers,spinergy rollers,hutchinson piranha.

Submitted by kenzen410 a Weekend Warrior from Ellicott City, MD

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2010

Bottom Line:
I found these difficult to clip out of in emergency situations. On too many occasions I could not unclip before falling. Others have had the same problems. Switched to SPD's and no longer have an issue. Have heard that eggbeaters are better in this regard, too.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco

Similar Products Used:   SPD

Submitted by jk a Racer from Dtown PA

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2010

Strengths:    Of course these pedals shed mud great, are lightweight, and are easy to clip into...

Weaknesses:    They literally fell apart about 200 miles into their short feable life. The right pedal literally came right off the spindle while I was 15 miles from my car. Luckily I was able to hold the pedal on the spindle with my foot and half-assedly pedal.

Bottom Line:
I called Crank Brothers and they said send them back so I did. I received an email from them about 2 weeks later saying they could fix the pedals and it would only be $30...
$30?!?!? I said? What about the warranty? No reply. I email the customer service instead and they contacted warranty, then forwarded me the same BS email I got from warranty. What a joke. I replied and said send the pedals back if you aren't going to fix them. They did. I emailed customer service yet again and they told me they would send me a rebuild kit. 6 weeks goes by and no kit. I emailed them again. No reply. This is my 3rd set of Crank Brothers pedals and my last. FU CB!!!

Favorite Trail:   lots of 'em