Crank Brothers Candy 3 Pedal

2.64/5 (14 Reviews)

The Crank Brothers Candy 3 is a workhorse platform pedal that allows you to start pedaling while you're clipping in.

Submitted by Doug Roper

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2013

Strengths:    Durable, nice looking, rebuild kit you can actually find, smooth entry-exit.

Weaknesses:    The cleats do wear rather quick.

Bottom Line:
I wanted to wait to review these pedals until the end of the season. They were purchased in June and I have done more riding this season than most in the past. The pedals have hit large rocks, logs and still no problems. I have zero complaints about them.

Submitted by Mark Anderson a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2013

Strengths:    Commuting

Weaknesses:    Trail riding

Bottom Line:
I bought 2 sets of the old Candys: one set for my commuter bike, the other set for my mtn bike (I use the same shoes). Both sets died early deaths, but while they were alive the performance was excellent. They are a good compromise of light weight, very easy entry, good retention and release. During a morning commute, one of the pedals separated from its spindle. I pedaled the rest of the way to the ferry and then to the office with one foot. I brought it to my LBS and they told me it was not repairable (I have 30 yrs of bike maintenance experience, and that was my conclusion as well).

The mtn bike set failed on a long ride...fortunately, I was close to the finish when it failed. Otherwise, it would have been a long walk back...

I bought a new pair of Candy 3's after the commuter pedals failed. They have the same easy entry, solid retention and good release and float features as the old Candys. After the mtn bike pedals failed I swapped the Candy3's to my mtn bike for a weekend ride. After one ride the chintzy screws on the ends of the pedals were badly buffed. I seriously doubt they would survive a serious impact. They are sold as mtn bike pedals: they are barely commuter-worthy...

Crank Brothers are driving me back to Shimano (reluctantly...)

Submitted by Ryan a Racer

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2013

Strengths:    *Color - The anodizing is nice and makes it look like a nice durable product (which it is not)
*Sheds mud well.

Weaknesses:    Needle bearing blew up after 7 months in the middle of a race. Completely locked up the pedal until the needles somewhat aligned themselves. Following the race I dismantled the pedal to find the bearing completely destroyed and the spindles marred from the needle bearings and shredded metal. Not a durable product. Called Crank Brothers about the "5 Year Warranty" and was told I should be servicing the pedals every 30-50 hours where their website states every 100-300 hours. They blamed it on poor servicing. A $120 pedal shouldn't require maintenance every 30-50 hours. Go with a quality product such as Shimano SPDs.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy this garbage. Get some SPDs. Cheaper and more durable.

Submitted by Baldy88 a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2012

Strengths:    Pretty
Smoother bearings than the old design at least on the 3 and 11 levels.
Smoother platform entry and exit than the old Candy.

Weaknesses:    The "new" design isn't any more durable it appears.
Pedal body on the Candy is aluminum so it is subject to rock damage
Wings bend on impacts and CB's 5 year warranty doesn't cover "impacts"
Contact tread adapters - cool idea, but plastic on metal on a MTB pedal just doesn't hold up.

Bottom Line:
I don't know why I even thought about going back to CB pedals again. I was a die hard for 5 years until I realized how much it cost me each year in pedal maintenance, cleat replacement and sending them back for repairs while my buddies riding Time or SPDs just kept riding and buying beer with their funds instead of paying for pedal repairs. I guess the promise of a 5 year warranty and redesign lured me back in. They are pretty darn cool looking too, but don't let that fool you.

120 miles of riding and a bent wing already. I'll give them credit that it didn't break like the old ones used to.

Sent into CB for warranty repair like they used to do. "Impact is not a warranty item." Hey CB! These are mountain bike pedals made for mountain biking correct? They should be able to take an impact. Advertised as "all mountain/XC pedals" Hmmmm.... I guess I just expect too much for a $120 set of pedals with a "5 year warranty". Granted that $19 to fix + the $5 for shipping to get them to CB isn't outrageous, but these pedals are almost brand new. So now I have a $145 set of pedals that needed to be fixed already. Prievously they used to fix them no questions asked.

I had Looks that didn't fair much better, but at least they replaced two sets of pedals with no questions asked.

Never again Crank Brothers, never again...

Favorite Trail:   Butter Knife

Similar Products Used:   Look Quartz - they break
Shimano SPD - they don't break!
Original Eggbeaters - solid, but would puke out their guts in the middle of a ride and leave you with an axle on the bike and wings on the bottom of your shoes.
Eggbeater SL - they break

Bike Setup:   Epic 29

Submitted by Bibi a Cross Country Rider from Montreal, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2012

Strengths:    Very walkable and comfortable cleats (they wear fast, but SO comfortable). Easy to clip in. No mud or ice problems. Relatively light and good enough support for longer rides.

Weaknesses:    NOT DURABLE! Come on, Crank Brothers, you had a bad reputation for durability, to the point that most stores in my town refuse to sell your pedals. Then, in early 2011, you promised a new product with 5 year warranty. I bought into the sale pitch and bought a pair. After about 8 months of city and touring use (maybe 3000-4000km), the left pedal froze... I can try to send it back to the company, but will cost me the same amount in shipping than a decent new pair of pedals, without talking about the waste of time. Lucky me it didn't happen during one of my trips abroad.

Bottom Line:
Unacceptable low durability. This is what one uses to advance, they need to be more reliable. It is a pity because the the design is nice. Greedy cost-saving choices spoiling a product (which is already slightly overpriced compared to the competition). I would only recommend them for the Sunday rider who does 500k per year - then they will last 5 years...

Purchased At:   web store

Similar Products Used:   SPD, Time ATAC

Bike Setup:   Several old-school steel frames and a carbon fiber frame, tubeless wheels, 10 speed mixed drivetrain.

Submitted by Brad a Cross Country Rider from Tijeras, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2011

Strengths:    Good stability, solid.

Weaknesses:    Froze up after about 10 rides. Crashed twice badly because I couldn't clip out.

Bottom Line:
Unless the needle bearing issue has been corrected, these things are hazardous. I'm disappointed with the drop in quality of Crank Bros pedals.

Favorite Trail:   Cedro

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Original eggbeaters, which are still going strong. Smarties, which were terrible, cheap garbage.

Submitted by R. Leiding a Racer from Calgary, Alberta,Canada

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2011

Weaknesses:    The 5 year warranty is garbage. After 5-6 uses notice that the left pedal was releasing early. Changed the angle of release, added a spacer, removed spacers, turned cleats around with no change. This was done over the following weeks. I brought the bike,pedals,shoes and rider to my local dealer for help. I was told they could contact the distributor. The response from the distributors rep. was it was rider error and that the pedals where fine. To continue riding had to purchase another set of pedals, which is when I purchased a set of Tyme pedals and have nothing but good to say about them.

Bottom Line:
Based on experience would stay away from Crank Bros products and Norco who is the Western Canadian Distributor. Their customer service record is not very good.

Favorite Trail:   Alberta BMX Tracks

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Bike Setup:   Redline BMX 20" PRO XL Frame

Submitted by Mikhs a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2011

Strengths:    Looks, ease of getting in and out of.

Weaknesses:    Crappy design of the inner needle bearings and seal.

Bottom Line:
I put these pedals on my bike in May of this year and have less than 1000 km (600 miles)on them. Today I noticed that the left pedal was hard to get into. It turns out that the inner needle bearing was shot and the pedal would not turn on its axle. Upon disassembly the needle bearing is a mess and the axle is lightly scored. Either the seal is not up to the task or they weren't assembled correctly.
Before these pedals I had a set of Time Atac's that were probably five years old and still turn like new with absolutely no maintenance at all. The only reason I changed them was the retention wires were getting thin which made them too easy to get out of.
I will get the rebuild kit for the Candies but I am not very happy that I have to spend another $20 to rebuild a $100 set of pedals after such a short time. If the rebuild doesn't last longer good-bye Crank Brothers Candy 3's.

Favorite Trail:   Durham Forest

Purchased At:   Online BS

Similar Products Used:   Time atac

Bike Setup:   2010 Giant Anthem X1

Submitted by Jamie_S a Weekend Warrior from Corn Country,Ne, USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2011

Strengths:    Easy to get used to, well built

Bottom Line:
The Candy 3's are my first attempt at clipless, been riding flats on mtb and clips on the road for nearly 30 years. I put 50 miles on the Candy's over the weekend and really fell in love with them. No build issues yet, and I'm very comfortable with the clip-in/out procedure.

Favorite Trail:   Swanson

Purchased At:   The Bike Way

Similar Products Used:   various flats

Bike Setup:   Kona Unit SS

Submitted by ALS650L a Weekend Warrior from VT

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2011

Strengths:    Easy to clip in and out, good float, works well in the mud. Very durable so far. Look good.

Weaknesses:    No real complaints. Once or twice I have come unclipped due to a pedal strike, but better pedal timing would have prevented that.

Bottom Line:
I've found these to be a great set of pedals. I purchased a set of Mallets used, ran them for a season and had no issues. I upgraded to the new Candy 3 and like them very much. They have proven to be very durable, many rock and log hits due to my less than graceful riding. I've had no issues with the pedals other than the occasional un-clip mentioned in the weaknesses. I recently opened them up to service them after a full season of trail riding and winter of trainer use. They had plentiful grease in them and the seals and bearings seem to be holding up very well, no signs of water intrusion. I will definitely buy another set of Crank Brothers pedals.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Wellgo Flats, Crank Brothers Mallets

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Caffeine 29er.

Submitted by leapfrog a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR US

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2010

Strengths:    Light, super-easy in/out. Far more durable than painted metal or composites. I use this MTB product on road bike because I can still walk in MTB cleats... First 1500 miles have been perfect.

Weaknesses:    Right pedal is almost no resistance to rotate/release. Left takes a little pressure. Mostly I put right foot down, so that's a plus.

Bottom Line:
I like 'em, and without banging on rocks these might last awhile. Huge sympathy for those seeing durability problems; that should never happen.

Favorite Trail:   Roads, baby

Similar Products Used:   Shimano PD-A600; other Shimano road & MTB

Bike Setup:   Neuvation full carbon/SRAM Force

Submitted by Flying Fish a Weekend Warrior from Lancaster, CA

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2010

Strengths:    I cannot say that I agree with the other poor reviews on these pedals, I have not had the pedals for long, but I have put a lot of miles on them, and I have beat the hell out of them, and they still work as good as the day I bought them. They are amazing. Way better than previous years. Plus, the aluminum wings both look great, and dont get chewed up like the composite ones used to.

Weaknesses:    Only complaint is same as previous years, sometimes when you hit rocks hard they come unclipped. But that comes with the territory and I think its worth the occasional inconvienence for the convienence of having such ease of entry.

Bottom Line:
Buy em! Crank bros has a great product, especially for those of us with bad knees (lots of float). Huge improvements over previous years.

Favorite Trail:   The fast ones

Similar Products Used:   Previous years SL's. Various shimano products.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Marlin, looks nothing like the bike originally did.

Submitted by Geoff a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent mud/snow shedding, as well as great in sand.

Weaknesses:    Durability and quality

Bottom Line:
I am on exactly the same page as the previous comments from Fabricio. I run a number of Crank Bros pedals, and really like their performance. However, I have had quality issues in the past, with wings snapping, bearings self destructing and pedals coming apart while riding. I had discussed these issues with Crank Bros staff, and was assured that the 2010 Candy's would address the issues.

After 4 weeks with these pedals, I had the same problems as Fabricio, the needle bearings self destructed and the pedal stopped turning. I too was in a remote area where fixing them was a problem. I was fortunate to have a second bike with me to swap out pedals with and continue riding.

Until Crank Bros can address their quality issues, I can't support their products.

Purchased At:   Mountain Equipment C