Crank Brothers Candy 2 Pedal

3.21/5 (14 Reviews)

The Crank Brothers Candy 2 silver pedal features a durable, 2-piece machined aluminum platform surrounding stamped steel engagement wings, allowing you to start pedaling while you're clipping in.

Submitted by Ryan

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight, fairly simple design, 4 points of entry, large platform for those pedal misses

Weaknesses:    The cages are week. Crushed one on the first ride. If you clip a rock, the pedal opens on the opposite side-dangerous!

Bottom Line:
I'd say skip this entire design. The 4 point entry and low weight are nice but I've had so many pairs of these things and each time I think they'll last, they just don't.

Submitted by Ratt a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2013

Strengths:    good in the mud and fine sand, inexpensive at street pricing, for its size light weight, better than the first gen plastic body

Weaknesses:    bearing end play adjustment

Bottom Line:
I've been a fan of crank bros since the 1st gen eggbeaters. I was crushing the 1st gen candies both the wings and the platform. The alloy body on the new pedals is a nice upgrade but the bearing end play is set with the outer plug not the bearing retaining nut. I dented the outer end of the pedal which was no big deal with the old candys because I just tapped the plug back in, now that plug needs to be threaded in and adjusted. As soft as the 1st gen candys were I think I will toast these twice as fast.

Favorite Trail:   any single track

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   time atac (cracked the body), shimano (sheared the screws)

Bike Setup:   am

Submitted by DownHill Mountain Biker a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2012

Strengths:    LOOK AWESOME!
Weight is not too bad...
Easy to get out of... TOO EASY!

Weaknesses:    Wayyyyyy to easy to get out of!
Crank Bros pedals DO NOT hold up in crashes as good as Shimano 5 series!

Bottom Line:
i tried these thinking they would replace mySimnao M540 pedala when Mountain biking.
i am going BACK. to My M540 pedals!

these DO look great, but its function ober form for me!

Favorite Trail:   woodside skyline ridge

Duration Product Used:   2 weeks

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   trail /Downhill

Submitted by hags707 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2012

Strengths:    Easy on clipping in and out, good support, looks

Weaknesses:    will come undone if you strike bottom of pedal logs or rocks

Bottom Line:
These were the first clipless pedals I have tried, I did not have a hard time getting use to unclipping from them. I have a season on them rode alot of different stuff with them and have no complaints. I have had a few good hits with them and they are holding up

Submitted by Evan

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2012

Strengths:    First time riding clipped in... So easy to use, everytime I almost fell pedals released smoothly and easily. Make riding a mountain bike much more enjoyable, not to mention easy

Weaknesses:    0... Zilch... Nada

Bottom Line:
BUY THESE. Got em on ebay for $60 new

Submitted by David

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    Easy in, easy out.
Secure feel with the platform to shoe contact.

Weaknesses:    Lighter would be nice, but decent at this price.

Bottom Line:
I only have 175 single track miles on these, but like them so far. They've handled a few smashes into rocks with only cosmetic damage. They've handled quick dismounts when needed, but have been solid on the downhills when bike control is critical.
When reading through the packaging, it does note that they are not recommended for those over 200lbs.(including hydration pack).

Submitted by stygz1 a Weekend Warrior from Bonaire, GA

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2012

Strengths:    Anodized orange looks great on my Flat black Fuel EX8

Weaknesses:    Difficult to clip in sometimes

Bottom Line:
Pedals look great!. No issues with uncliping. Clipping in can be difficult sometimes. I wear Bontrager Race shoes. The pedals float seems to be good. My old shimano pedals from 1997 seemed to be easier to clip in from what I remember. These pedals are not bad but next time I would buy shimano.

Favorite Trail:   Thompson

Purchased At:   Smiths Cycling and F

Similar Products Used:   Shimaon

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuels EX 8

Submitted by RPousman a Weekend Warrior from Malibu, CA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2011

Strengths:    Look Bad Ass

Weaknesses:    They don't work.

Bottom Line:
I've been biking for over 20 years and I know what i like and what works. I recently built up a new bike and shop convinced to deviate on two components, one were Crank Bros pedals. I wanted Time ATACs. I've had Time pedals for years and never had a problem with them. After all,Crank Bros basically copied the design.
I am going back to Time. I have almost killed myself because my cleats come out of the pedals in the air on gnarly descents. I tried cleat spacers, cutting my sole away, changing right cleat to left shoe even using the Candy 3s. Nothing worked.
All these things do is look good.

Purchased At:   Topanga Creek Cycler

Submitted by 1xsnrg a Racer from Toronto ON

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2011

Strengths:    easy to use

Weaknesses:    bearing wore out. First ever pedal to have such a weak bearing set up

Bottom Line:
Won't buy these again. The pedals are literally falling apart. I have other pedals such as Look that are almost 20 years old and still in good shape. The regular SL is much better.

Similar Products Used:   Other Eggbeaters, Shimano, Look

Bike Setup:   Ridley X-Night, All Dura Ace

Submitted by Zachariah a Cross Country Rider from Palm Desert, CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2011

Strengths:    ~No paint to chip off
~Easiest engagement and disengage
~Knee-sparing float
~Unclips with heel outward OR inwards
~A vast improvement over previous composite Candy pedals
~Larger platform for unclipped riding
~Fully rebuildable internals/externals

Weaknesses:    ~Pedal weight off by 15g

Bottom Line:
The Candy 2 is the latest, greatest version of the composite-bodied Candy X,SL,C,2ti and 4ti pedals. Combined with the Crank Brothers stainless steel cleat plates...all you do is aim the ball of your foot over the pedal and step-down - it engages without fail with a secure, muted snap. No more fumbling to get clipped-in! The cleat shim plates creates the PERFECT interface clearance with the pedal. The thinner metal platform allows the perfect amount of float and will not have your SPD-compatible shoes slide off...like in the composite versions.

No more losing your spindle end caps, due to banging rocks. The Candy 2 has a lot of meat to grind away, before that ever happens. Seems like Crank Brothers actually LISTENED to their riding customers this time! The degree of float is amazing, and you can leave the pedals twisting your foot either way...yet, it will not suddenly pop out on you during high-RPM spinning or mashing. A totally refined product. I Love them!!!

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek Park (24 Hours of Adrenalin course)

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Crank Brothers Candy 2ti; 4ti
TIME Alium ATAC
Shimano XTR

Bike Setup:   21 pound Giant Anthem X2 2x9 speed

Submitted by Helmetless a Weekend Warrior from Santiago, Chile

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2011

Strengths:    Nice to clip in & out, soft, brings confidence to the rider while riding, light and beautiful.

Weaknesses:    None so far, maybe I would ask Crank Brothers to make ir a bit lighter if possible

Bottom Line:
It feels pretty similar to what I felt with the m970s. The only difference is that these feel a bit lighter and the clip out is a lot, but a lot easier. Clip in isn't as easy as clipping out, and I love that.

With my previous Egg Beater SL, the experience wasn't as good as with these, due that they never gave me confidence to bomb down the trail as I felt that they would let me down (literally). The Candy platform is even more than Shimano similar. I have always been a Shimano fan. But these pedals are really a whole different thing. Even compared to the XTRs. I will give them time to see if they last as much as the shimano pedals.

Favorite Trail:   secret trail

Purchased At:   Intercycles.cl

Similar Products Used:   Egg Beater SL, Shimano M505, M540, M970 (XTR)

Bike Setup:   Banshee Viento full custom

Submitted by BidwellRider a Cross Country Rider from Chico, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2011

Strengths:    They look good and are easy to clip into. They have an excellent feel while riding.

Weaknesses:    After two months of riding I have smashed one side of both pedals on rocks. Now I am only able to clip into one side of both pedals. The SPDs I used previously seemed to take the same abuse and continue working. No audible clicking noise when you clip into them.

Bottom Line:
No "clicking" noise when you clip in. The springs that hold your cleats will bend if smashed on a rock hard enough. They are a good feeling pedal, but I question their durability.

Favorite Trail:   Guardians Trail, Upper Bidwell Park, Chico Ca

Purchased At:   Sports LTD in Chico

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD

Bike Setup:   2010 specialized stumpjumper fsr 29er

Submitted by nayrb20 a Weekend Warrior from Iowa City, IA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2011

Strengths:    The pedals are smooth, clipping in and out is a breeze. They are strong and durable. I love the float that is on these pedals, my knees and ankles have seen better days, and these pedals dont put too much stress on my joints.Shreds mud very easily!

Weaknesses:    You really can't tell that the plat form is there when riding, People are better off getting the acid's for a bigger platform or eggbeaters for a simpler pedal. The platform also defeats the purpose of having 4 sides of entry but at most 2.

Bottom Line:
Great pedal for the value, the new redesigned pedal is pretty awesome, especially the orange ones.

Favorite Trail:   Sugar Bottom

Purchased At:   Scheels All Sports

Similar Products Used:   Eggbeaters

Bike Setup:   Fisher X-Cal

Submitted by Greg01 a Cross Country Rider from Burlington, NC

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2011

Strengths:    Super strong and durable. Easy to clip into (I personally believe crankbros has the best clip system for MTB). Easy to get out of, but doesn't let you go when you don't intend to.

Weaknesses:    The platform is so small, you are better off with the eggbeaters. If you want a platform, step it up to the CB Acids, something you can actually put your foot onto. I paid for a platform that I can't use comfortably with flats. I would suggest stepping it up to the acids if you want a bit of platform, or down to the eggbeaters if you know you will only be clipped in at all times.

Bottom Line:
The Crankbrother clip system is the best out there for MTB. Period.
If you are always clipped in, then these pedals are a bit heavy and unnecessary. I would highly recommend the eggbeaters instead.
If you want a pedal that you can ride on the trails both clipped in and with flats, then the platform on the Candys is too small. I would highly recommend the Acids instead

If you are always clipped in on the trails, occasionally you need to go down the block in your flats, and you don't care about weight, then the Candys are perfect for you.

Purchased At:   J&L Bicycle Company

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD

Bike Setup:   BMC Trailfox 01

Crank brothers candy 3, is it worth the extra money over the candy 2???

Is the Crank Brothers candy 3 worth the extra money over the Candy 2?Read More »

Crank Brothers Candy 2 pedals, bushing play?

I have some Candy 2 pedals, and have put about 50 to 75 miles on them. I'm noticing just a touch of play between the pedal body and the axle. So, I took them apart, relubed everything, and put back together (according to directions). Still have the touch of play in them, and was wondering if anyo ... Read More »

Differences between Shimano PD-M540 and Crank Brothers Candy SL / 2

All, I just got a Giant Trance and I am choosing petals. I've been riding Crank Bros Candy SL on my old bike but was wondering if there is something better out there. Not that I am particularly disappointed with the Crank Bros... What are the differences in terms of ride feel between the Shi ... Read More »

Crank Brothers Candy Acid 2 pedals?

I think I read somewhere that these pedals do not use a pedal wrench to install but rather a 6mm allen wrench due to the round spindle arm???? Anyone with these can say for sure?Read More »

Crank Brothers Candy Sl Pedals w/ Sidi Bullet 2's?

I'm a size 42 in the Sidi's and I need to buy a second pair of pedals for my new road bike. My current pedals (Eggbeater Sl's) are going to the road bike while my MTB is getting the new pedals (The color should match my frame and the MTB gets the #1 treatment). I have read that the Candy's or an ... Read More »