Crank Brothers Candy 1 Pedal

3.17/5 (12 Reviews)

The Crank Brothers Candy 1 Pedal uses its composite body and stamped steel wings to add surface area to the pedal body, which gives you more pedal power. Crank Brothers Pedals are known as some of the lightest in the industry, and the Candy 1 keeps the dream alive with a minimal weight of 262g...

Submitted by xmessenger a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2013

Strengths:    Price, weight and ease of use. Rebuildable. Mud performance.

Weaknesses:    The wings that clip into your cleat will easily fold if struck by rock or curb. Will release if bottom is pressed against something.

Bottom Line:
I really like these. Far easier to use than SPDs and weigh less plus work well in muddy terrain. I busted one going around a truck one night striking the curb but this is a freakish thing. I like the candy more than the eggbeater because of the platform. Ya its small but it help finding your footing plus its a bit more protection. They are super easy to rebuild too. I find them to be quite durable, maybe they don't stay new for long but they stay fuctional for a long time. Why people pay extra for the alloy platforms is beyond me as they weigh more and that part never breaks. Best peddle for little money.

Favorite Trail:   I like women

Duration Product Used:   Years

Purchased At:   ebay and MEC

Similar Products Used:   Older SPDs.

Bike Setup:   New Motobecane Fly Ti w/XTR 30 spd...awesome bike!

Submitted by tylerw a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2013

Strengths:    this pedal sheds mud better than some others

Weaknesses:    reliability
build strength
quality is lacking for the long run

Bottom Line:
A guy gave me my first pair cb candy pedals. they worked well for a decent for 6 months or so but then started falling apart and needed a rebuild done very badly. One started spinning freely and loosely while the other would kind of stiff and binding up. The second set I bought only because they were have a great sale on them and I needed some cleats due to getting my shoes thrown away with my other cleats on them. A couple ride with them and the plastic caps on the end fell out somehow leaving the internals of the pedals with the grease and suck exposed to the elements. Still using both set but they are on there last leg.

Duration Product Used:   3 yrs

Similar Products Used:   platform and soon to be shimano spd

Bike Setup:   cross country riding

Submitted by darton23

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2013

Strengths:    The price. For 40 dollars for my first pair of clipless pedals who can beat it. After many reviews of different pedals, i finally decided on these. First i wanted a platform so i could ride with regular shoes to school. Second i wanted a quality brand behind my pedals and Crank Brothers delivers that hands down. After comparing the 1,2 and 3 together i decided on these because the only thing that was different between these in the 2 ones are the metal jacket that surround the front and back part of the pedal. It was not worth the extra ten dollars. If i had money to blow i would have went all the way to the Ti. I am in college so i am trying to save money and enjoy life at the same time.

Weaknesses:    None thus far.

Bottom Line:
You cant go wrong with these. Best value out there if you are looking for a clipless platform pedals.

Submitted by vitale232

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2012

Strengths:    Weight, looks

Weaknesses:    Durability, not rebuildable

Bottom Line:
These things are probably great for people that don't ride rocky trails. That's not me. The wings on my right pedal were destroyed after 1 month, leaving me one angle that still actually clips. The left pedal has developed play.

There have definitely been some pedal strikes. Don't get me wrong. I just think a mountain bike pedal should be able to take a hit from a normal pedal stroke. A hit at speed I can understand, but come on.

Crank Bros wanted me to pay ~25 total in shipping parts and labor to have these rebuilt. Why do they have to be proprietary?! Doesn't seem worth it to me. I'll just go back to Times which put up with 4 years of my abuse.

Similar Products Used:   Time ATAC Aliums were good.

Submitted by gingertooth a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2012

Strengths:    durable, easy engagement, great surface, and perfect tension for release

Weaknesses:    cleats wear fast

Bottom Line:
well, after giving shimano xt and xtr a try again after trying them years ago i can now say shimano pedals suck. Going back to the candys again was a dream come true. These pedals have gone through the most narliest beaten they could ever see. I cant say the same for the candy 2 and 3 aluminum ones since i havent tested them. But the composite holds up very well. I hop tons of high logs and never have they popped out. if they do then the cleats are worn. I ride the most technical crap in the country and by far these pedals hold up better than anything. shimano blow, and time even worse since they break as soon as you smack them on a rock.

Similar Products Used:   shimano many times, time

Submitted by gsxr_randman

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    Price...Weight

Weaknesses:    Non re-buildable....No Adjustment's for release angle

Bottom Line:
I have had these for about a year. I brought them for the price. Overall they are not bad.

Submitted by jeff a Cross Country Rider from california

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2011

Strengths:    easy in and out
look good

Weaknesses:    not durable at all
too easy in and out

Bottom Line:
I loved these pedals at first but after about three months the left wore down. I fell completely due to the pedal. I jumped a rock, cleat slipped out, and I rolled down the trail.
If you want to spend around $60 go get shimano slx.

Favorite Trail:   dan cook

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   wellgo m3

Bike Setup:   XTC2

Submitted by ridesette a Cross Country Rider from danville,ca

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2011

Strengths:    eassy to clip in and out, light

Weaknesses:    wear fast

Bottom Line:
These pedals are amazing. I was using wellgo SPDs and going to this is just WOW. These are super easy to clip in and out of.
The only problems I can find are after a while they wear on the pedal you clip out on most and after you put in the gaurd they're kind of sketchy to pull up on.
These would be best fora person that rides maybe once a weekend. I think mine wore down so fast because I ride ALOT

Favorite Trail:   dan cook

Purchased At:   jenson usa

Similar Products Used:   none, first crankbrothers

Bike Setup:   crapy 09 XTC2

Submitted by xserret a Cross Country Rider from Brussels, BE

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2011

Strengths:    Light (lighter than XTRs')
Work so much better than SPDs

Weaknesses:    Needle "bearing", injected plastic gets "scratched" and used quickly.

Bottom Line:
Bought as emergency replacement when my previous SPDs failed and I felt as trying something new.

Surprise...Wow, they work so much better than the SPDs!!!

I liked them so much that now they are my permanent pedals until total destruction, when I will get a pair of the Candy III

Cannot give more chills because they remain expensive (60 Eur) when compared to alternatives.

Favorite Trail:   FdS

Purchased At:   KM10

Similar Products Used:   SPDs since first generation

Bike Setup:   Kraftstoff X2 (Cross country full suspension) + 96kg rider

Submitted by sburnett a Cross Country Rider from Texas

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2011

Strengths:    Ease of clip in/out

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This is my first pair of clipless, and I have only ridden on them 3 times for 3-4 hour trips. I was recommended egg's by a fellow rider but thought I would try the "platform" design instead.
I love them, definitely worth the 50 dollars, I am much more efficient than I was with platforms. I hear a lot of bad reviews from CB but I have no complaints. I will likely try some Time's sense those are what people like, and I am unsure as to what this "float" is, but if it offers more play in the pedal I think I will like it.
I am very impressed in how easy it is to clip in and out of these. That was my biggest fear. If that holds anyone back from going clipless, don't let it.

Favorite Trail:   River Legacy

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   None - First Clipless used

Bike Setup:   '11 GT Avalanche XT/SLX Upgrade/Manitou R7 ABS+

Submitted by chiefhewho a Cross Country Rider from clifton,ohio

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2011

Strengths:    ease of use, durability

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Price wise I feel I got my money's worth so far and they're still solid and going strong

Favorite Trail:   Lake Hope