Crank Brothers Acid Pedal Pedal

3.43/5 (28 Reviews)

crankbrothers shoe shieldsReduces shoe tread interference and protects carbon-soled shoes. 8g/pair includes shims stainless steel compatible with crankbrothers mnt cleats

Submitted by GTrance a Weekend Warrior from port perry, ontario, canada

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2011

Strengths:    light weight, good looks, easy to service, easy to clip in and out

Weaknesses:    developed play after first season, durability wasnt that great

Bottom Line:
great all mountain pedal, dont know if id trust them for thier intended purpose (freeriding) but overall a good pedal

Favorite Trail:   flowy trails

Similar Products Used:   crank bros mallet

Bike Setup:   giant trance X2

Submitted by panspermian man a Weekend Warrior from Warrington,UK

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Build quality

Bottom Line:
Developed play first ride, Broke on second looked inside and the bearings were destroyed.

The bearing are tiny, about 4mm. On a freeride product?

Now i do stomp on my pedals and have killed them before and snapped cranks, but after 2nd ride... ridiculous avoid at all costs. If they come on your bike as standard throw them away before they let you down in the boonies. Buy some shimano deores for £20 at least they wont let you down.

Favorite Trail:   Lee Quarry

Purchased At:   Came with steed

Similar Products Used:   Shimano DX, Cannondales OE, Shimano XT, Shimano deore, DMRs

Bike Setup:   Sanction 1.0

Submitted by dustin0617 a Cross Country Rider from Mpls, MN

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2010

Strengths:    Easy out.

Weaknesses:    Sheared one of the spindles off on some rocky terrain. Customer Service said it'd be ten weeks to get the pedal back...WHAT? Ten weeks? How about you spend those ten weeks re-engineering a better pedal than does bust when you are riding rocky terrain.

Bottom Line:
I ride CRank Bros on my road bike and like them their, but this Apple Co wannabe should be in the off-road market. Their pedals aren't well-thought out for the trails. We ride where rocks are, large rocks, and pedal strike happen. The pedal shouldn't have half it's functionality rendered useless by a silly little pedal strike. Re-engineer your stuff or leave up to Time & Shimano. Booooo CRank Bros. Acids!

Purchased At:   Chainreactioncycles.

Bike Setup:   GT sanction 1.0

Submitted by Bartunek a Cross Country Rider from Czech Republic

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2010

Strengths:    No

Weaknesses:    Outer conuses from totaly unsuitable material w/o heat treatment.

Bottom Line:
This product is either bad engineering work or low quality adhered in production

Purchased At:   US

Similar Products Used:   Yes

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse

Submitted by Gerry a Downhiller from Ladera Ranch, CA

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2010

Strengths:    Nice looks and the size of the platform is pretty good.

Weaknesses:    This is the second set of Acid pedals I have owned and had nothing but problems with the first set. The spindle busted and took them back to CB and they were really cool about it and fixed them for me no charge. 2 months later it happened again and they had the nerve to tell me that I needed to rebuild them every 4-6 months, I told them that they just rebuilt them 2 months ago and they shut up and did it again. After that point my left foot would always pop out on the technical or fast, rough descents. Not a nice feeling when it happens. On my last ride the pedal busted again, took them back and asked to talk to a manager and I get the warehouse guy, I explain the situation and he basically wanted me to pay for a rebuild. I told him that with all the issues I've had he should be kicking down a new pair, standoff ensued and he finally took them back and "fixed" them again. In the meantime I get a "deal" on a brand new set of acid 2 so I get them, first ride left foot pops out on the rock section of rockit... DONE, these things BLOW. Everyone knows that they have an issue with their crap... how about fixing it damn it!

Bottom Line:
These things BLOW, more worried about looking cool rather than actually making a product that works AND is reliable. Heard Shimano is coming out with a new platform pedal soon...

Favorite Trail:   Ira's

Purchased At:   The Path

Similar Products Used:   Other Acids

Submitted by bpressnall a Cross Country Rider from Pinecrest, CA

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2009

Strengths:    Although it has a moderate platform, it's actually lighter than the shimano's without platforms. Compared to Shimano, easier entry, easier exit, yet less "prereleases". Beat 'em hard on the rocks, but other than scratched paint, no damage.

Weaknesses:    cost, but probably worth it in the long run. I was concerned about bending the "eggbeater" part on rocks, but so far no problems.

Bottom Line:
This pedal seems to be in a class by itself. No other pedal offers a clipless platform at this weight (327 grams). Great "all mountain" style pedal.

Favorite Trail:   rocky, technical

Similar Products Used:   Shimano spd

Bike Setup:   bionicon supershuttle

Submitted by mrjoshuanyc a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2009

Strengths:    Easy in and out

Weaknesses:    Durability,customer service, oh did I mention durability

Bottom Line:
Don't buy anything from this company as they charge you for warranty service. We ride bikes, we hit stuff, our equipment is design to take a few hits without breaking but not this brand. Garbage! Absolute garbage. Spread the word please.

Favorite Trail:   MIX MONSTER

Purchased At:   PRICEPOINT

Similar Products Used:   shimano spd's

Bike Setup:   Titus elguapo allmountain setup

Submitted by big mountain riding a Racer from Lynchburg, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2009

Strengths:    Shed mud like a wet dog, Light weight, Platform allows for pedaling without clipping in (handy in rough conditions)

Weaknesses:    Questionable durability, No grips/pins on platform

Bottom Line:
I had high expectations when I saw the Crank Brothers Acid series for sale online, as I'd been an early believer in the suitability of platform clipless pedals for all mountain riding, and have owned a pair of Shimano 545 pedals since 1998. The Acids seemed like they would weigh less and have the great design of Crank Brothers.

I used them in two epic big mountain events, the Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventure race in early May, and the West Virginia Wild 100 as well as all the training for these events. The pedals provided more leverage than the Egg Beaters, and were easier for my feet to find in rough, wet conditions. Unfortunately, 6-months after purchase - during a hometown race I had really been looking forward to - one of the Acid pedals came apart less than a mile into a +20-mile race. I finished, but only by stopping repeatedly, finding the pedal when it fell off, and riding with limited aggressiveness so that I could keep my pedal on the spindle.

Crank Brothers did rebuild the pedal for free when I sent it back, and the Acids are back on the bike. However, I didn't trust them to stick together during the first epic event after their return, the 40+ mile 2009 Middle Mountain Momma. This summer I will ride them as I train for the West Virginia Wild 100. What did I ride while the Acid's were M.I.A.? My ten-year old Shimano 545's. Still going strong after 100's of hours of use and three gonzo-abusive trips to Moab.

BIGMOUNTAINRIDING.COM UPDATE - One of the spring mechanisms on the pedals is not rotating freely. They may fall apart on me again! Final verdict: Save up an extra few bones and buy the Shimanos, or maybe the heavier-duty Crank Bro's Mallets if you will be riding in grimy conditions.

Favorite Trail:   Split Decision, Liberty U.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 545's

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe, All Mountain

Submitted by brian.benson1 a Racer from Olympia,WA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2009

Strengths:    1)Sheds mud like it's being paid to do it.
2)Cheap rebuild kits*
3)Good looks, no play
4)Easy in, easy out(when you want to)

Weaknesses:    I felt resistance for about a turn or two in needle bearings after a wet ride with maybe about 2 months of hard use. This started to happen more often, but went away after a quick spin of the pedal

Bottom Line:
Not sure why they put the composite layer in the pedal.. I guess it looks cool and raises the price point. I dig it.

Good platform if you have to dab a foot. I feel almost as comfortable riding these unclipped as i do on flats.

Just put first rebuild kit after a year. Went out for a ride and the resistance I spoke of earlier just wouldn't go away. Happened without 'warning' so keep a spare kit around too.

Needle bearings are a witch to get out. CB must have the perfect touch if they can get them out with screwdrivers. Go to a hardware store and pick out the perfect bearing puller.

I clean out my BB shell pretty often (once a month or so). This time I'm going to clean/regrease the needles just as often.

Yeah they are probably better suited for a drier climate, but when they good they are good. I'd like to see the double seal as seen in the mallets implemented here too.

Favorite Trail:   sickter gnar, dirt merchant,

Purchased At:   Bike Tech Oly

Similar Products Used:   Shimano stuff...not a whole lot to be honest.

Bike Setup:   08 Remedy 8.5, 36 Float RL, 203 Juicy 7's

Submitted by ChickenParmSub a Cross Country Rider from Vermont

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2009

Strengths:    Personally, I found the Crank Brothers clipless pedal design easier to exit than SPDs. I also liked that the Acids had a wider platform so you could ride sketchy stuff unclipped.

Weaknesses:    Only thing I can think of is that the paint coating on the platform is falling off, which may be an issue for some people. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Bottom Line:
Very "exitable" clips with mid-size platform, if you dont want the huge DH clips and dont want egg beaters, these are perfect.

Similar Products Used:   Look, Shimano, Time

Submitted by pawelw a Weekend Warrior from Szczecin, Poland

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2009

Strengths:    clip-in/out mechanism design, weight

Weaknesses:    Sealing is really close to none - one long wet ride was enough for needle bearing to get rusted. Interestingly, old Mallet C has internal seal in addition to outer seal but Acid (and new Mallet) has none! It is really bad engineering, bad design. In addition to that, bearings and bushings (yes, plastic! in Mallet C) are very poor quality and are worn early.

Bottom Line:
I like those pedals (when they work) so I keep rebuilding and riding them but I am tired of rebuilding my pedals every few months. It is good rebuild kit is available and you can do it yourself but please, they need it far to often!
It seems CB is more focused on marketing and flashy colors than on good engineering. To CB engineers - please look at Chris King and learn, learn, learn - price-wise you are almost there but that is not enough at all, at all...

Favorite Trail:   flowing ones

Similar Products Used:   Mallet C

Bike Setup:   SC Heckler, trail build

Submitted by photodog a Racer from SLO, CA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2009

Strengths:    Good size, weight

Weaknesses:    bend easy, release when you hit a rock

Bottom Line:
This is an update to a review from awhile back.
Just after I posted my review I hit a rock and bent the spindle. It wasn't even a hard hit, just pedaled through a rockgarden and kept right on going but it destroyed the pedal, I was pretty disappointed. The other thing that's annoying is that all eggbeaters, because of the design, release if you hit the bottom on anything which can be pretty sketchy.
It's a good idea but all eggbeaters need stronger spindle's. I'm 175lbs and ride quite aggressively on very technical terrain I am also quite smooth so I very, very rarely break things. Actually, this is the first thing I had broken (not involving a crash) in several years and I had already bent another standard eggbeater but never any other pedal so I think my complaint is legit. Crankbro's is a great company though so at least they stand behind their product.

Favorite Trail:   mine

Similar Products Used:   Time ATAC, Shimano SPD

Bike Setup:   Nomad

Submitted by willtsmith_nwi a Weekend Warrior from Valparaiso, IN

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2009

Strengths:    Ergonomically, it's a wonderful design. The long,narrow platform effectively eliminated hot spots from the SPD interface. It's looks great.

As always, the Crank Brothers customer service is excellent.

Weaknesses:    Build quality is the hobgoblin of Crank Brothers. After 8 months of use the left pedal came off the spindle. After sending it back to Crank Brothers the warehouse supervisor informed me there were no grease in the pedals and that I should pay $30 to have them rebuild them.

OK, so I should pay $30 to fix a pedal thats under warranty. There was no abuse. Apparently, the seals were just so poor that that all the great came out of it ... or there was no grease there in the first place ... who knows. This is the first time that I believe Crank Brothers customer service has let me down.

Damn, I love the Egg Beaters and the ergonomics and simplicity of the product cannot be beat. But damn, I'm sick of having these pedals fail during rides.

Bottom Line:
Apparently, from reading hear and emailing Crank Brothers, you have to take these pedals apart periodically to keep them functioning. And if you're a big guy on a Mountain Bike, you may suffer axel brakes as these pedals share the same guts as the Mallet 1/2/3 (and I've broken 2 of those axels in the matter of a year from XC use).

If I had it to do all over again, I would try Times. If you're a little guy, Crank Brothers is still great.

Favorite Trail:   Outback Trail

Purchased At:   Zims Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Just plain pedals. Though, I think there are Times pedals in my future.

Bike Setup:   Karate Monkey X.9/XT build.

Submitted by Rod a Weekend Warrior from Keller,TX

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2009

Strengths:    Works very well in any type of weather and lightweight for it's intended purpose. Love the way it looks and feels. To me it feels way better than Spd's because of its fast engagement and disengagement.

Weaknesses:    None so far...it feels better than spd's

Bottom Line:
Best pedal I have and works very well for me.

Favorite Trail:   Grapvine Northshore

Purchased At:   Bicycles Inc.