Crank Brothers Acid 1 Pedal

2.25/5 (8 Reviews)

Crank Brothers Acid 1 Pedals built with a Magnesium/Composite platform and designed to take the abuses of all mountain riding.

Submitted by KeviChe

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2013

Strengths:    Good in and out action, Platform helps add support when you arent clipped in yet

Weaknesses:    bearings kept coming loose very early on, right pedal spindle eventually snapped

Bottom Line:
These only lasted me less than 2 seasons with a lot of miles. after washing the bike a couple times the bearings started locking up. rebuilding them helped but the bearing kept coming loose. eventually the spindle on the right side snapped in half while riding luckily i wasnt hurt. this was the first set of pedals ive ever broken. I bought the new Mallet 2 to replace these and less than two months the "wing" clip portion became loose! I wont buy another set of crank brothers. how does the saying go screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me

Submitted by egsavio a Weekend Warrior from Florianópolis

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2011

Strengths:    Easy engagement, free rotational movement, perfect size platform for DH.

Weaknesses:    I had not problems.

Bottom Line:
The best gravity pedal. Many people say about poor quality, but my pedals are perfect.

I took out the Mallet because they are hard to engage in DH. The acid are perfect because engage easy and the platform has enough size for stability.

I use these pegals for AM/XC with Stump Jumper and for DH/FR with GT Fury.

Favorite Trail:   Águas Mornas

Purchased At:   Della

Similar Products Used:   Several Shimanos.

Bike Setup:   GT Fury and Specialized Stump Jumper FSR

Submitted by xav600 a Weekend Warrior from Belgium

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2010

Strengths:    Packaging design
Weight is quite low for small platform pedal

Weaknesses:    Reliability close to zero
Mechanical design ... engineered by monkeys
Expensive (especially considering the quality)

Bottom Line:
If you buy these, first enjoy the looks of the nice packaging... then be happy about their weight... then be happy about how they look on your bike... then be prepared to hate them :
- cleats are soft bronze, don't last for long and are very expensive
- sealing of the bearings is close to none so keep those for some desert ride or be prepared to loose the bearings after 3 months
- spring is a little too narrow and get a little play which will eventually lead to a stuck open pedal

Bottom line is they are quite ok if you don't ever go in the mud or wash them or even put them close to some water of any kind.
Otherwise they won't last for long

Similar Products Used:   shimano pdm-547

Submitted by mingdaking a Cross Country Rider from hong kong

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2010

Strengths:    clips easy

Weaknesses:    durability , sealing , poor access when cleaning dirt

Bottom Line:
if you use them to ride road , its perfect , once you go into the mountains and dirt gets into the joints etc.. you hardly can clean it

My was totally messed up when the right pedal cannot rotate anymore around its axis and therefore it ruined the threads in my crank arm and i had to replace the whole crankset

Favorite Trail:   Chiang Mai

Purchased At:   tuen moon - ah paul

Similar Products Used:   candy

Bike Setup:   intense spider

Submitted by Prophet Johnson a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, Alberta

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2010

Strengths:    Better platform than Eggbeaters
Good Looks

Weaknesses:    Poor sealing
Durability

Bottom Line:
I had to file the soles of my shoes a bit more than for the eggbeaters for proper engagement, but this isn't a knock on the product.

These pedals looked great until I put them to use on my first ride. I ran into a mud puddle early on and was surprised to have one of the pedals totally jam half an hour later! Good thing I had spares as the stuck pedal could have damaged the crankarm threads. I cleaned the pedal and applied fresh grease but to no avail, the bearing is already shot. It seems the seal between the axle and the body is not very tight which doesn't prevent water and dirt from getting in.

I had been riding eggbeaters for 3 years to that point with no problems and was ready to replace them as the spring is starting to show wear. This bad experience will make me consider changing brands when the time comes for new pedals.

Purchased At:   Mountain bike City

Similar Products Used:   Eggbeaters

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Prophet

Submitted by loonyOne a Cross Country Rider from waterloo, ia

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2010

Strengths:    Dependable engagement, don't clog with mud or twigs, easy on the knees

Weaknesses:    none really that I've found

Bottom Line:
I've not had the negative experiences like the guys before me here. I commuted for a year and switched pedals back and forth for over two years between bikes and have no real problems with them. The OD green color is not real pretty but the job gets done.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Wellgo/Ritchey, Exus

Bike Setup:   Wojcik hardtail
DeKerf hardtail
Intense Tracer

Submitted by willtsmith_nwi a Weekend Warrior from Valparaiso, IN

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2010

Strengths:    They're pretty and they are compatible with all of Crank Brothers pedals.

Weaknesses:    The build quality is TERRIBLE. These pedals blew up after about 6 months of ROAD use. A bearing seized and actually managed to twist the end of the axle clean off.

Bottom Line:
Crank Brothers customer service tried to sell me a rebuild when I sent them in. They touted this as a "spa treatment" which apparently consisted of wiping off the old grease and putting in new grease (the spray on kind that washes out easily).

They backed off and just replaced the axle but didn't bother actually putting any grease in there or replacing the seized bearing. This was the first bad experience I've had with CB customer service but not the first bad experience I had with their product.

The tech advised that I should regularly disassemble the pedal and grease everything. This is like suggesting that I should take the wheels off my car every 3 months and greasing the bearings.

The Acid is a crappy product that doesn't even have the merit of the concave platform like the Mallet. Thank you Crank Brothers for wasting my money.

Favorite Trail:   Outback Trail

Purchased At:   Zim's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Crank Brothers Mallet.

Bike Setup:   Karate Monkey XT/X9 Build

Submitted by sageashton a Weekend Warrior from Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2010

Strengths:    I really like the CB springs, easy to get in and out of. No problems with mud.

Weaknesses:    Bearings suck. I have less than 200 miles on them and left pedal needs to be rebuilt.

Bottom Line:
Really not happy with these pedals. I'm sorry to say but they seem unimpressive to me and the bearings don't last worth a damn. I shouldn't have to rebuild pedals every 200 miles of riding, and I don't even ride hard. Sorry, it seems that CB stuff needs rebuilds constantly. Time for me to go back to Shimano or Look.

Purchased At:   iMartin

Similar Products Used:   Shimano...

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo

pedals... Shimano M520 vs M424 vs Crank Bros Acid 1

Any comments on these lovely pedals? Wondering if the cheapest, the M520s are ok for XC. Better to spend the extra $ for the M424 or CB?Read More »

Crank Brothers Acid 1 Pedals (for sale)

Hey guys im not exactly sure where to post this but if anyone is looking for some crank brothers acid 1 pedals brand new I can sell em to you for 40$ . PM me for more info.:)Read More »

Crank Bros. Acid 1 Pedals FOR SALE

Just got these with my new bike but am not interested in clip pedals. Ill sell em to you for 50$ shipped. Let me know. :PRead More »

crankbros acid 2 1 or 2

has anybody used these? any feedback or opinions? Look fwd to any input thnx dimmerzRead More »