Crank Brothers 5050 XX Pedal

3.09/5 (44 Reviews)

The Crank Brothers 5050 XX Pedal provides a large, stable platform and plenty of traction pins to keep you firmly planted on the bike, even if your bike is in mid-air.Tough Cro-Moly spindle can take a beatingAnodized aluminum body and replaceable plates are stiff and durableComposite end cap with...

Submitted by Brycetron a Cross Country Rider from Waterville, ME, USA

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2012

Strengths:    Look great imo. Are very grippy and seem to take abuse very well.I have smashed them against quite a few rocks and logs and they have not failed me yet. No issues with bearings wearing out or anything like that. They still spin as they did when I 1'st installed them over a year ago.

Weaknesses:    The pins do like to move in on the pedals. Only a couple of mine have done it as they came with locktite from the box. A quick loostening and re applying locktite would fix this issue.

Bottom Line:
I wouldnt buy them again. I bought my bike used and it had egg beaters. I was in a rush to get some nice flats and went for these at the LBS w/o doing any research first. They have served me well but for the price and the tons of bad reviews there are about them. I'd invest in a different pedal. For the price of the 50/50 XX you can get a similar pedal that is lighter and doesnt seem like its a 50/50 chance (no pun intended) of getting a set that will last.

Favorite Trail:   Bradbury, Pine Ridge

Purchased At:   LBS in Freeport ME

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element 10. Setting it up for very rooty XC and some AM

Submitted by Hoolagon a Cross Country Rider from Bristol

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2012

Strengths:    Strong and grippy

Weaknesses:    From day one they never span freely. I thought this was normal as the only other person I know who has these had the exact same issue. The stiffness slowly got worse and worse until eventually I bought myself the rebuilt kit and attempted to take the pedals apart. The was able to remove the pin but the inner components were all rusted solid to the inside. I couldn't even get them out with brute force and a hammer.

Bottom Line:
Yes, they are very strong and grippy, but who cares about that if they rust and don't spin?
To pay a whopping (UK) £72 for a pair of rubbish pedals is unacceptable. If I hadn't left it so long I would be demanding my money back.
I'd always admired Crank Brothers for their ingenious egg beater designs, but I have to say this admiration has now completely gone and all that's left is a lighter wallet and that feeling of having been ripped off.

Favorite Trail:   chain reaction cycles

Submitted by norcorider95 a Downhiller from London, England

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2011

Strengths:    Nice and grippy, changable/customizable plates, can change pins, still perform well in the wet, they look really good too, also the 5050x aren't expensive compared to other pedals.

Weaknesses:    the pins screw them selves in whilst riding so within 4-5 runs the pins have screwed in and need loosening with an allen key to get them in the right position and after about 5 rides the bearing or axle or something has gone and now there is movement

Bottom Line:
Seem decent, but bearings or something shot after a few rides, worth the money i paid, i got them brand new for a second hand price, may need replacing soon. also long pins would need to be bought i reckon to prevent the pins screwing in.

Favorite Trail:   Aston hill 4-2-3

Purchased At:   Pinkbike.com

Similar Products Used:   Easton pedals, specialized mags, V8s.

Bike Setup:   Specialized big hit fsr 1 2010 with marz 66's, fox dhx 3, hope pro 2 hubs, mavic ex729 rim, crankbros 5050x pedals, sunline bars, nukeproof seat, holzfeller cranks, gravity stem, avid elixir brakes,E13 ls1+ chain device

Submitted by josh041 a Weekend Warrior from fairfax virginia america

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2011

Strengths:    i dont think there are any

Weaknesses:    everything

Bottom Line:
it sucks

Purchased At:   amazon

Similar Products Used:   azonic 420s

Bike Setup:   cannondale sl4 fox 32 f series bontrager grips

Submitted by hb77m1 a Weekend Warrior from Boise, Idaho

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2011

Strengths:    Great looks, strong desgin, very grippy, adjustable pins, rebuildable

Weaknesses:    Only thing id say is they are a little on the heavy side for pedals

Bottom Line:
Amazing pedal. I've had mine for over a year now and have had no issues with my pedals. I applied blue loctite gel to the pins prior to assembly, also adjusted the pins out quite a bit. These pedals have not been used lightly, countless smashes against rocks, been through snow, mud, even water crossings, and they have yet to fail me. I've never touched the bearings or anything because there has been no reason to touch them.

These have been everywhere from snow packed mountain trails to the dry slickrock trail in Moab...and have never let me down

Overall awesome pedal, low maintenance, takes a beating. Absolutley love these pedals. I'm buying another set for my hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   Three bears

Bike Setup:   08 giant trance, marzocchi 33r, rocco wc air

Submitted by connorboug a Downhiller from St. Albans, VT, US

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2011

Strengths:    Gnarly grip, super lightweight, interchangeable pins, and super durable

Weaknesses:    The pins the pedal ships with a SHARP, doesn't do well with regular shoes

Bottom Line:
Best pedals I've ever used. The offer a helluva lot of grip with the right shoes. However, without the right shoes and when riding in the wet, you slip off pretty easy. Learned that the hard way with a 3 foot gap. Pedals impaled my leg and I bled all over my nice regular shoes. However, now I gotta gnarly scar to show off! Overall, a sick pedal for anyone who wants to rip it anywhere without worrying about slipping off or clipping in/out.

Favorite Trail:   Kitchel, Jaw

Purchased At:   earlsbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Nothing yet

Bike Setup:   2003 Cove G-Spot w/ 2003 marzocchi dj 1 and a 2003 Fox vanilla RC

Submitted by Colddiver98 a Weekend Warrior from Albany, OR

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2011

Strengths:    looks, pins give excellent traction, thread lock on everything, extra pins, great maintenance instructions, rebuildable

Weaknesses:    price? lots of competition in this price point and some a 100g lighter and have a lower profile.

Bottom Line:
A good pedal that have held up to a lot of abuse. If anything I've neglected maintenance and they've continued to perform well. I plan on rebuilding and using until I can't get parts.

Favorite Trail:   MRT

Purchased At:   pricepoint?

Bike Setup:   Titus EG

Submitted by ocguy2004 a Weekend Warrior from irvine, ca

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2011

Strengths:    good grip, colors

Weaknesses:    siezed up

Bottom Line:
good pedal, but i'm checking out others. have used these for a couple years now. they performed well enough, except when the left side siezed up and unscrewed from the crank during a ride. did a rebuild and regreased and haven't seized again so far. ok fo rthe $65 i paid but wouldn't pay $100+.

Purchased At:   performance bikes

Submitted by Smackbiethc a Downhiller from Hasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2010

Strengths:    Looks & marketing - at the time it was the only gold pedal that could match the paint job on my frame.

Weaknesses:    Uhmmm, almost everything! After one rainy ride the bearings apparently soaked up the water completely,so far for paying the extra $ for the double sealed one - pedal was completely blocked the day after. plastic screw for lubing the pedal is absolute s***, couldn't even open it once without damaging the screw. And the same if you try to replace the pins!

Bottom Line:
Absolute bad value for money pedal. I'm more happy with the box it came in than the pedal itself... Marketing & product design without quality backing up the price.

Favorite Trail:   Maasmechelen

Purchased At:   Barracuda

Similar Products Used:   DMR V8&V12's, Welgo Ti's, Specialized 747's

Bike Setup:   Commencal Pasta Power with pike, saint and for a short period these pedals.

Submitted by sheaty a Weekend Warrior from Sauble Beach , On, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2010

Strengths:    Great platform, no slippage, pins did not let shoes slip even when muddy and wet.Well built item

Weaknesses:    Came with very little grease in axle shaft, not sure this is a weakness but the pedals sort of stay the same angle not flatten out when your foot is not on them but then again your foot never slips off so its not an issue

Bottom Line:
The quality of the product is self evident when you look at it, all pins and screws had "blue" thread lock on them, extra pins a Crank Bros sticker and Maintenance instructions come in the box. First thing I did when I got the pedals was GREASE them! I found there was not much grease in axle shaft when shipped. Follow the instructions for maintenance and this pedal should last for a long time

Favorite Trail:   none

Bike Setup:   Trek 6 series,Crank Bros 5050xx pedals,Ergon GP1 grips,Selle Italia Flite gel flow saddle.

Submitted by K2Keller86 a Weekend Warrior from Chapel Hill, NC

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2010

Strengths:    +Looks (customizable colored faceplates)
+Platform area
+Grip is above average but not amazing

Weaknesses:    -Pins falling out
-Screws backing out
-Faceplates falling off
-Customer Service

Bottom Line:
I was initially pretty happy with this purchase. However after several rides and normal commuting (to and from campus) they started to fall apart. First some the screws started backing out and eventually a faceplate fell off without me noticing. Luckily crank bros gives you spare faceplates but they did not include spare screws. I contacted crank brothers and they sent me more screws, free of charge. Unfortunately, they were the wrong screws so I went to Lowe's to find something somewhat compatible. A year later, another faceplate fell off but this time I heard it hit the pavement and was able to remount it. I wish they were more solid and less modular. Overall, they were a decent pedal but definitely not worth the price. Recently if been riding clipped in but I just ordered some other platform pedals -- sun ringle's zuzu pedals. I think they will be much more reliable.

Purchased At:   Online (Pricepoint?)

Bike Setup:   Trek Liquid 25

Submitted by clemboler a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2010

Strengths:    Looks nice, replaceable pins, cartridge bearings

Weaknesses:    Too many little allen screws, plate design held together by ultratiny allen screws that are next to impossible to find.
Heavy as well. Way too expensive for the headaches you get. Tread pins loosen and fall out depite being held by locktite.

Bottom Line:
While I haven't yet had the bearing issues that others have (plate fell off before I could rack up enough mileage), the issue with the pins and screws holding the plate on has me pissed off and the pedals have been sitting on my bench the past few months. CB doesn't provide any extra plate attachment screws with their kit, which is very irresponsible. I tried to get some at a local fastener supply, but I would have to order a box of 100 for $40! I mailed CB, and they sent me some screws, but the wrong size...I emailed them about this, and they said it is the only size they have! Crank Brothers seems to be all about clever looking designs and slick marketing, but nothing about proper testing, quality control, or service. As an aside, I just noticed last night the bearings on my CB Acid 1 pedals starting to seize after less than a year of riding...yippee. In contrast my 5 yr old Syncros Mental peddles run like a charm, despite heavy abuse over the years and only one easily performed regreasing/overhaul. The pins don't fall out, either

Favorite Trail:   CBC

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Syncros Mental-Magnesium

Bike Setup:   Devinci Hectic, Mavic 819 rims, XT hubs, Raceface Atlas AM cranks, DHX5 Air, RS Pike fork

Submitted by Konaflukee a Weekend Warrior from Wenatchee, Wa, USA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2010

Strengths:    Sturdy when working...

Weaknesses:    Bearings went out quicker than when I owned the 50/50X. Should have learned the first time. 50/50 XX bearings can be re-greased, but that doesn't work so well. Not impressed.

Bottom Line:
Pedals got sticky after 3 months, re-greased and on the first ride after pedals completely seized. For the price, this is not acceptable. I thought about buying the CB Iodine wheelset, but after the last two pairs of pedals I've owned, I will no longer buy any Crank Brother products.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Kachess Trail

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Nomad

Submitted by bluemirage188 a Weekend Warrior from southbury, ct

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2009

Strengths:    Nice looking, lighter than most, sealed bearings.

Weaknesses:    Slippage. Most people mountainbiking on platforms arenlt looking for a slippery pedal. the pins are a hair too short, and the hump in the middle where the axle is is a bit too tall. Bad combination, pin placement is a bit weird too. Removing the stupid reflectors helped, but still is a bit slick to me. Using flat skater-shoes helps too, but you shouldnt have to do those things to make a pedal worth while, never mind a 120$ pedal.

Bottom Line:
dont waste your money on these cause they look cool, or because they have interchangeable plates. Those things dont make up for the lack of grip when youi need it.

I've got a set of demolitions that outperform these might and day and cost half as much.

hey anybody want to buy my 50/50s????