Crank Brothers 2003 Egg Beater S Pedal

• easy entry and exit
  • spd® compatible*
  • fully rebuildable
  • excellent 2 year warranty
  • superior mud shedding design
  • simple: Only 13 total parts/pedal
  • stainless steel spindle, body, wing

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Houton Tx

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2007

Strengths:    light weight, easy to rebuild, sheds mud.

Weaknesses:    none to think of.

Bottom Line:
    I have had these for a while now, and damn they are tuff. I do not know what is up with the other guys posting saying they break. Perhaps they were not the Steal version but mine have been put through the works. As long as you remember to grease them No worries. I have not had to rebuild mine yet and they have been in some water and sand. Since We have more mud here in Houston I decided to go with the Egg Beater and I am glade that I did.

Favorite Trail:   all trails

Similar Products Used:   time

Bike Setup:   GF Tass

Submitted by Timsk a Cross Country Rider from Brighton, UK

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2007

Strengths:    Light, very smooth disengagement, look cool in the glass cabinet in your LBS. Easy to maintain and spare parts are readily available.

Weaknesses:    They need rebuilding every 4 months with the $12 dollar rebuild kit. Extremely dangerous. Pedal has a tendancy to come off the spindle evey 500 miles or so due to inadequate weather sealing; all the internals rust and eventually fail. The design puts too much horizontal load on the bearings and they WILL eventually fail if you ride in wet conditions. Not designed for use outside of Southern California due to the possibility that it might rain. Inboard bearing's outer shell became completely siezed to the body with rust after the 4th bearing relapcement.

Bottom Line:
    i don't know how they get away with it. Very dangerous product. I'm now boycotting all Crank Bros equipment. Has anyone ever successfully sued Crank Brothers due to serious injury? I was going to put them on Ebay but my concience got the better of me; I'd never stitch-up a fellow cyclist.

Stick with Shimano or Time.

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles, Waterloo, UK

Similar Products Used:   Time ATACS

Bike Setup:   Too numerous to mention but cover MTBing, Long distance touring and commuting.

Submitted by Hank a Racer from SW Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2007

Strengths:    Light Weight, "good" looks

Weaknesses:    lots

Bottom Line:
    Simple fact for the weight and price they cant be beat.

If you want any more from a pedal get the Time ATAC, I have the 2004 model after they "fixed" the little problem of the platform pulling off of the spindle, and still, the platform came off the spindle (spindle wound up in my foot). I had the pedal rebuilt only to have the bearing cease and come off of the crank arm.

The only positives i have is, they are light, comparatively cheap for the weight, and they don't release like the time's when you bang a rock.

I'm going back to the Time ATAC, and I would recommend you do the same.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Spd, frog's, Time ATAC

Bike Setup:   full carbon XC

Submitted by Ray a Weekend Warrior from Puyallup,WA

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2007

Strengths:    Robust, bulletproof, simple design, sheds mud like a dog on carpet.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of

Bottom Line:
    Used these for a few years now in the Pacific NW. Lot's of mud, rocks, crashes. At first I was a little nervous that the binding would get damaged hitting rocks, logs, etc., but they have held up perfectly. They won't release no matter how hard you pull up, you have to twist out. On my third set of cleats which are brass and designed to wear out before damaging the binding on the pedal. Seems like a smart idea to me. More than enough float, and a predictable release everytime. Easily cleaned and re-lubed. These things will last forever.

Favorite Trail:   Skookum Flats

Similar Products Used:   Mallet C

Submitted by Ray Inman a Racer from Newark

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    feet never stay clipped while torquing of in tech sections. I could go either way on the amount of float. These pedals are built like garbage.

Bottom Line:
    I've only used these things four times (i raced them once at waywayaonda)before they totaly crapped on me. I craked one realy bad on one of the jaws the other one had a hairline crack in the same place. Bent the axel on the left and seized the bearins on the right(the jaws also were locked in the "open" position). That was the forth ride the first three were almost as disaterous. almost every time i would torqu up a climb one of the two, if not both would release. After my first ride I figured I had the cleats a little askew so i adjusted them many times with the same result. While desending they would roll out from under my feet. Like many other people have said while in tech sections (i.e. rock gardens) the bottom of the pedal sticks way down below the shoe and once struck will scissor and release.
    I ride generally NJ and NY very rocky steep stuff and race at Plattekill and am Doing the H2H series for 2006 and dont reccommend these pedals for anything NJ has too offer besides fireroads. I have reverted back to my SPD's TAKE THIS AS A WARNING these pedals are not for the serius hard rider they caused me many a headache

Favorite Trail:   Raceing at plattekill

Similar Products Used:   SPD's I geuss a little heavier but worth the more weight

Bike Setup:   Spec epic some custom stuff (My race bike)

Submitted by Gabriel Vardones a Cross Country Rider from Middletown, CT. USA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2006

Strengths:    Good if you're filming a crash video because they'll guarantee fall overs and crashes.

Weaknesses:    Unpredictable release. Low-hanging design snags on rocks and step-ups.

Bottom Line:
    These pedals are a travesty. In fact, they're a travesty of a mockery of a sham (Woody Allen). They came on my new Cannondale Rush 1000 and I was origionally enthusiastic about them. I liked the light weight and simple design. Then I tried them, and my enthusiasm waned pretty quick. Their are two major problems with these pedals. One is that release is very unpredictable. Sometimes they relese easily, sometimes not. The other is that the side you're not clipped (or sometimes locked) into hangs down low below the pedal spindle and snags on rocks and roots. it's like lowering your bottom bracket by 15mm. Also, the cleats are made of brass, a very soft metal that will wear away quickly. Mine had noticeable wear after only two rides. I rode on them five or six times and endured several fall-overs and copious scrapes to both elbows and forearms. Finally, the last straw came when I was trying to ride a step-up, maybe 18 inches high, and the pedal snagged, stopping me. Then I couldn't get unclipped and fell over. By bike suffered minor cosmetic scratches. They would have happened anyway, but the first damage to a new bike always bums you out. I'm going back to my old SPD 747s- they're not great pedals, but they're way better than these.

Favorite Trail:   Red trail at Case Mtn

Purchased At:   Came with my new bike.

Similar Products Used:   Wellgo SPD clones, Ritchey WCS, Onza, Shimano SPD 737 and 747.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rush 1000

Submitted by owen a Cross Country Rider from park city, UT

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2006

Strengths:    Light, easy to clip in, lots of float. Float is good if you have bad knees.

Weaknesses:    Expensive cleats, and they wear out fast.

Bottom Line:
    A good looking, simple design, hassle free pedel. You will love it, especially in muddy regions. The cleats are designed to wear out, not wear out the pedal.

Favorite Trail:   porcupine rim, goosebury

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   shimano spd.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur, Fox float front & rear, avid, easton, mavic, hope, bla, bla, bla.

Submitted by kelly a Cross Country Rider from grover, wy

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2005

Strengths:    Extremely easy to clip into. Just hit them with the tip of your toe, roll forward, and wait for the click.

Weaknesses:    Lateral float, but as one reviewer stated, "keep your toes pointed forward" and not much of a problem. However, the still feel a little "loose" side to side at times.

Bottom Line:
    I used my old ritchie pedals for 3 years. Didn't really like them, but they were servicable. Took the bike in for repairs and decided to upgrade. So glad I did. This pedals take my bike to the next level. The feel better, perform better, and look better than my previous pedals. They feel indestructable under you feet. Clipped in feels secure and strong, but release easily with natural foot twist when falling. I ride an average of 3 times a week and do a lot of climbing followed by quick decents. I have no complaints after 3 hard summer months of riding. These pedals are excellent and do exactly what Crank Bros promises they will. That makes them worth the money in my book.

Favorite Trail:   spruce hollow

Purchased At:   Bills Bike Shop Idaho Falls

Similar Products Used:   ritchie comp

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche 1.0

Submitted by Alan Semon a Cross Country Rider from Saylorsburg, PA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2005

Strengths:    Simplicity of design (easy rebuild/repair), easy clip-in/out (eventually), low weight.

Weaknesses:    Excessive float when compared to the Nashbar SPD pedals I've used.

Bottom Line:
    Bought these in a combo with Answer shoes through Nashbar and really like them. They are a little tricky to clip-in to at first, but I think that is more a product of having used SPD's for so long. They look very cool on the bike too!

Favorite Trail:   Allamuchy

Purchased At:   nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   SPD pedals for 10+ years (if that is really similar).

Bike Setup:   Ancient Stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by David Geracitano a Cross Country Rider from Albany NY USA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2005

Strengths:    Easy to clip in & out, strong

Weaknesses:    A little float

Bottom Line:
    I have had this setup for 4 years now and it is still going strong. People are complaining about the float, it is only side to side, so what's the problem? Keep your feet pointing forwards like you're supposed to, the minor amount of float gives you small room for error without unclipping on hard ascents. These things last forever, work great, and elicit a lot of questions from people, like "Where are you pedals?", or, "What the hell are those things?". I'll never buy any other pedal.

Similar Products Used:   Ritchie, mongoose, shimano...

Bike Setup:   KHS FXT Pro, Grimeca Discs, Mavic wheelset, SID 100 Fork

Submitted by jap p. a Racer from Miami Beach, Fl.

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2005

Strengths:    simple, easy to maintain design. True trail proven performance. easy in easy out.

Weaknesses:    none that I can think of new ones are lighter but also more expensine and I personally don't think they can take the abuse as well.

Bottom Line:
    These are by far the best pedals I've ever used due to the simplicity of design, value and durability, these guys will take a beating and will last for years on the roughest trails. Great buy.

Favorite Trail:   oleta river

Purchased At:   bell's bikes

Similar Products Used:   platforms, shimano 525's etc, have tried it all.

Bike Setup:   trek fuel 100: team volkswagen slr race frame, avid speed dial 5, sid race, fox floater, deore xtr, race mod bars slr.

Submitted by bernie from Laguna, Philippines

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2005

Strengths:    Very Lite, attention catching appearance, easy to engage/disengage. Mud Proof.

Weaknesses:    expensive, expensive and hard to find cleats too ( replacement )

Bottom Line:
    A must for an MTB rider both road and trail lovers, very easy to use, easy in, easy out, mud proof, that is why this is the pedal on all conditions.

Favorite Trail:   Southwoods Road Interchange

Purchased At:   Cycling Zone Las Piñas

Similar Products Used:   da bomb, shimano M545, azonic, and wellgo

Bike Setup:   Jamis Komodo FX with Deore Hydros Gruppo, Panaracer 2.1 XCFire tires and Taurus DB rims

Submitted by Andro Galero from Butuan City, Philippines

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2005

Strengths:    -simple design
    -smooth entry and exit
    -unique eggbeater look
    -very strong build & finish
    -very very good mud performance
    -light weight

Weaknesses:    -expensive replacement cleats

Bottom Line:
    Bought these pedals second hand from my friend who's upgrading to the more expensive and lighter Eggbeater Triple Titanium. I love the way my pedals look, its so simple and unique and has a very strong finish. It still doesn't have a single scratch after hitting the dirt for more than two years of trail riding abuse. Even when i'm walking thru mud, the pedals still clicks in, it has the best mud performance of all the pedals i have tested.

The only downside is its expensive replacement cleats, $20 per set. But at least it has lasted all these years and i still have not rebuilt it even though i ride 10-12 hours a week on rough terrain.

Buy these pedals if you're a weight-weenie trail rider on a budget.

Favorite Trail:   Malalag Trail

Purchased At:   second hand from friend

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Comp & Shimano PD-M858 (used shimano multiple release cleats on both pedals)

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper trailriding shoes

Submitted by Erling Brabaek a Cross Country Rider from El Paso,TX

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2004

Strengths:    Indestructable

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    This is THE pedal for riding on rocks that will tare everything else up. Hid the rocks with this one the rocks loose.

Favorite Trail:   horse thief bench