Canfield Brothers Crampon Pedal

4.27/5 (11 Reviews)

With the new Crampon Pedals from Canfield Brothers, you effectively lower your bottom bracket by 8mm/.25? while raising your pedal clearance by the same. This one-of-a-kind pedal also allows for more efficient pedaling by allowing you to lean back and push through the normal “dead spots” at the top and bottom of your pedal stroke. The thinnest pedal platform on the market also allows for more balance and stability because you are standing on the side of the spindles instead of the top.

Submitted by Geno

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2013

Strengths:    Grippy. Can take a beating. Clearance. Dope colors.

Weaknesses:    Set screws give mean pedal bite. Anodized coloring comes off with rock hits

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Crampon Ultimates. Bought these after one of my Xpedo pedals broke on a mild rock hit. These C2's are amazing. They stick so well I had to relearn how to adjust my foot placement while on the fly. The thinness of these has reduced the ground strikes and delivers a smoother feeling push. First Canfield purchase but I'll be keeping my eye out for more from this company.

Duration Product Used:   100+ miles

Purchased At:   manufacturer

Submitted by Gav a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2013

Strengths:    Looks good and feels like you're stuck to the pedals

Weaknesses:    Shipping delays - In fairness the guys at Canfield did communicate well but it took way too long to deliver considering the shipping cost. It took over 6 weeks to ship to UK despite initially telling me it would take about a week. Pedals were delivered with powder coat in the pin holes which had to be tapped out. For the money this shouldn't happen.

Bottom Line:
At this price theres a whole load of competition out there. Canfield Bros need to lift their game if they want to build their reputation

Submitted by cman8 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2012

Strengths:    Light, Wide, Thin and very very durable

Bottom Line:
These pedals are the best I have ridden. Paired with my 5.10's my foot is stuck to the pedal! Rarely do I have a pedal strike and I ride some grnar sometimes. Price is comparable to others which like any component I think they are expensive, but well worth the money. Great CS from them, Usually receive an answer within minutes! I emailed them about warranty and when they told me there was none but their pedals were made to last I was a little afraid to buy em but man am I glad I did. These things are tough. If your thinking of getting these do it, they service easy and take a beating and keep going!

Favorite Trail:   Rush Flow

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   HT AX08

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Nomad, Fox DHX 5.0 Coil Push'd, Fox 36 Talas, WTB Weir Wolf, X0 Shifters and RD, XTR FD, Formula RX Brakes, SOS Wheels,

Submitted by edonnell

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2012

Strengths:    Great grip, thin cross section, rugged.

Weaknesses:    none noticed so far

Bottom Line:
Have used these pedals in rocky New England riding and they have worked amazingly well. Have just about given up on SPD's with these pedals as the grip is excellent and I notice little if any lack of power loss from not being "clipped in".
Well worth the money spent! Get them!

Submitted by Ralstonia92 a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2011

Strengths:    Very thin and grippy...not to mention they look cool

Weaknesses:    Very Disappointed when I found out they were double threaded and completly stripped out my right crank!

Bottom Line:
I fell in love with these pedals as soon as I saw them. But after figuring out that they were double threaded and stripped my cranks I was very Disappointed! I am in the process of talking with the manufacturer and the bike shopthat sold them to me to get my problem fixed. I really hope everything works out because I would really like to used these pedals! I hope it was just this bad batch of pedals but for that i have to give this only 2 chilis. If i were you i would order from their website so you do not have to deal with a bike shop in the mix..

Favorite Trail:   Many

Purchased At:   All Mountian Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   other flats

Bike Setup:   The way I like it! lol

Submitted by k1rider a Weekend Warrior from Minneapolis, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2011

Strengths:    There's definitely a feeling of sitting more in your bike and pushing more through your pedal stroke. The best way I found to test this is run one crank w/ a normal flat pedal, the other with the Crampon....boom, you can't deny the difference, it's huge. I've skirted out of more technical and rocky stuff then I ever did with my previous flats.

Weaknesses:    Beyond an occasional squeak from the axle on my 510's the only downside to these pedals over other flats is a wider platform (laterally). I've found I sometimes strike dirt when pedaling through tight turns that previous pedals didn't have issues with. Minor annoyance when given the huge bonus of vertical clearance that is picked up with these pedals.

Bottom Line:
If you can deal with a bit of squeak time to time these are great pedals.

Purchased At:   ediscountbike.com

Similar Products Used:   BMX pedals

Bike Setup:   Pivot Mach 5.7, Crankbrothers Cobalt 3 wheelset, XTR & XX Drivetrain, Kenda Neve's, Command Dropper seatpost.

Submitted by Bad Bob a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix AZ.

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2011

Strengths:    Great pedals! I feel like my feet are glued to the them.
Bullet proof.
Great for climbing steep hills!
Great push through!

Weaknesses:    Price, but worth it!

Bottom Line:
This is a great product! I can't say enough good about it.

Favorite Trail:   Dreamy Draw

Purchased At:   Rage Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Nothing like this one!

Bike Setup:   Rumblefish

Submitted by Really Bad Bob a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix AZ.

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2011

Strengths:    Great pedals! I feel like my feet are glued to the them.
Bullet proof.
Great for climbing steep hills!
Great push through!

Weaknesses:    Price, but worth it!

Bottom Line:
This is a great product! I can't say enough good about it.

Favorite Trail:   Dreamy Draw

Purchased At:   Rage Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Nothing like this one!

Bike Setup:   Rumblefish

Submitted by mustleaveplanet a Weekend Warrior from Cairns, QLD, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2011

Strengths:    Light (395g), VERY grippy, No "deadspot" when pedaling compared to taller pedals, Wafer thin, Strong and easy to service. Amazing clearance so very few hangups.

Weaknesses:    Have to Loctite the Pins in place (included with pedals), Expensive, DU Bushing on inner spindle will wear causing abit of slop, Shoe sole contact with open spindle somtimes causes squeaking sound during pedaling (esp. 510s)

Bottom Line:
I got these pedals as a compromise between not wanting to ride clipped any more but still wanting an efficient and grippy pedal. After setting them up (ie letting the threadlock dry on the through-pins) I'm stoked with the way the Crampons pedal and grip. Because they are so thin there's lots of pedal-ground clearance but I have managed to smash them into rocks and logs on occasion (sloppy riding) and apart from afew scratches they are undamaged. They are costly and look "odd". The pedals have a delrin bushing at the crank end which needs to be cleaned and greased every now and then. I have only done this once in 6months of riding in muddy, dusty trails with water crossings rock collisions. Is there any play in them now? YES. Do I notice it when riding? Not at all... But for the price you pay it's worth considering.

Favorite Trail:   Any of the ones in Rotorua, NZ

Purchased At:   FreeRidn

Similar Products Used:   Kona Klump, DMR V12, Atomlab Aircorp.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler, 150mm Revelations, Stans rims, Hope Hubs + Brakes, SRAM/Shimano groupset

Submitted by Dirtgash a Downhiller from Prescott, AZ. USA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2010

Strengths:    Super thin, light, durable, very grippy, custom pin setup, very smooth bearings

Weaknesses:    pins can chip when they do hit a rock

Bottom Line:
A lot of thin pedals put the spindle right in arch or ball of your foot making a uncomfortable pedal. The Crampons fix this with the massive length pins, and the customizing of pin placement so you can have the pedal feel perfect for you. So thin that I rarely hit rocks, when I do, they hold up fine, save some chipped pin tops. Very smooth feeling, and feels like riding clipped in with my 5.10 shoes. Have no desire to ever use another pedal.

Favorite Trail:   Any with rocks and points DH