Bontrager RE-1 Pedal

3.37/5 (19 Reviews)

The unique wedge-shaped body guides mud and debris away from binding with every click in. Minimal contact area between cleat and binding creates channel for mud and debris flow. It's thoroughly sealed to repel most trail elements. Provides precise, consistent entry and release. Black 340g

Submitted by Jay GS a Racer from Allesnpark, CO

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2008

Strengths:    Great pedal - if you can find them, buy them. Never had a problem and they are on 4 of my bikes. Too bad they are not made any more. I have hammered these things for 8 + years. They hold up - never had a problem. They clear muck just fine. Sure if you get a stick stuck in there they probably will not work very well. But really, how many times do you get a stick shoved up your pedal? Desert to Pacific NW mud. these things rock.

Bottom Line:
Buy them if you can find them.

Favorite Trail:   Ski Road

Purchased At:   E-bay, where ever I

Similar Products Used:   crank bros. Shimano 959's

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz - Iron Horse - and I have them on a Klein Roadie as well.

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis, mn

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2007

Strengths:    Reasonably durable, cheap

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
I actually picked two pairs of these up back in 2000 and used them for about 6 years on both of my bikes. Each pedal has seen about 5,000 miles of use and I was amazed that they held up that long. I never had a problem with clicking in or releasing. The best 10 dollars per pair that I ever spent. They both died within the same month when the screws sheared off that holds part of the pedal together. They had seen their time. I ride mainly technical single track and they had been bashed on many a rock.

Similar Products Used:   Time, SPD's

Submitted by Juliet Doty a Cross Country Rider from Fresno, CA, USA,

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2006

Strengths:    Easy to clip in and out of. Tougher than you know what

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
I was curious to look at reviews of this pedal just because I have these (they're 5+ years old so I don't know if they're the same model, although they look like it from the pic) and I've beat the crap out of them and they still work great. I've crashed HARD, hit these pedals on God knows how many rock, trees, curbs, etc. and they've still held up. I love how adjustable they are and have ridden Eggbeaters and can't see how anyone gets clipped out in time mtn. biking. These pedals are 5-6 yrs. old and have COUNTLESS rides/races on them and they still work great. My only complaint - weight...

Bike Setup:   Ti Dean with XT components and Rock Shox SID

Submitted by Ken a Weekend Warrior from Somerville, NJ

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2006

Strengths:    Low maintenance
Cheap

Weaknesses:    Poor quality
Inconsistent clipping
Not suited to larger riders

Bottom Line:
These pedals are fine if you're generally easy on your bike and always remember to 'break out' the right way. If you do anything serious, weigh more than 150 lbs, or are the kind of rider who tends to break parts look elsewhere as you'll go through a pair a season.

Bike Setup:   Trek 7000

Submitted by Mike Rowland a Weekend Warrior from Jaffrey, NH

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2005

Strengths:    Strengths?

Weaknesses:    The fact that they fit on a bike!!

Bottom Line:
Every crap review these petals got they deserve! I will stick with my 515's until I sell bone marow for new petals! Just read the revew on the 515's (it isn't pretty!) these petals are WORSE!!! Here's why:
1: You can't crank they tight enough to not release at a moments notice.

2: The clog up so F#@*ing fast. If you even look at mud, sticks, or stones you are screwed. If you ride fire roads with a big fat pad on your seat and want to try clipless don't bother with them. I got them free and they still suck!

Purchased At:   Garbage pail!

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 515

Bike Setup:   2001 Specialized Rockhopper pro - stock (minus tires)

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, Ca

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap on eBay. Tthe cleat looks cool.

Weaknesses:    The cleat is made of stronger material then the pedal material (ware on the pedal not the cleat). Mud/Wood clogs them up easy. They squeak even after maintenance. Not made for daily riders.

Bottom Line:
Well they are cheap and work... but you get what you pay for. If your a light (lbs. and amount of time on the bike) rider they will work fine.

If you ride as much as I do regardless of your weight spend the money and get something better.

Favorite Trail:   Sweetness, Santa Cruz Ca

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Wellgo, ICON (mtb) Look & Time (road)... demo'ed and switching to CB egg beaters.

Bike Setup:   Bontrager with XTR shifting, Bontrager Crank, Truvativ BB, Avid Brakes, Chris King Headset.

Submitted by Andy a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2003

Strengths:    Reliable, light, tough, easy to get in.

Weaknesses:    Easier to get out of then in, occasionally my foot get trapped.

Bottom Line:
These are the first clipless pedals I've used consistently after being disappointed with SPDs a few years back. I got them for free from a friend and was a bit cautious as they appeared to be bashed to all hell. I bought some new SPD multi-release cleats for them and they've worked perfectly (almost) from the start of the season - I haven't even had to lube them yet. I've been really rough on them and never really had a problem except for my right pedal not releasing maybe once in every five or six rides. I bash them on rocks like crazy - you know what I mean if you ride out here. I can't speak for their mud-shedding as it isn't eco-friendly, nor safe, to ride in Colorado mud (it's a desert out here most of the time.) The only thing I wish I could change is that it's harder to get in then to get out of them. I have to set the release a bit looser then I would like in order to get in them easily. Maybe the problem is my skill and not the pedal. Oh yeah, and that 2.5mm allen head is a stupid size!

Favorite Trail:   Flowers

Similar Products Used:   SPD

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler, full XTR except for Avid brakes, Fox float, Romic RD, plenty of other aftermarket crap....

Submitted by Dirk a Cross Country Rider from Gallup, NM

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2003

Weaknesses:    These pedals do not last. In the course of a single season, I went through two pair. The cheap screws simply break off at the head time and time again.

Bottom Line:
The only way I would recommend these pedals is if you are given them for free and are saving your pennies for another pair.

Favorite Trail:   Bear Cave

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Time, Crank Bros

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2003

Strengths:    easy to get into, with loud click

Weaknesses:    cheap and weak construction, the release is not consistent, border on unsafe

Bottom Line:
I these pedals came on a Trek i brought a few year ago, and were on a friend's Trek i use about a month ago. Quality has remained poor. I would prefer that Trek bikes were sold with no pedals instead. If you do buy Trek, see if the shop will let you swap out the pedal for some thing else.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Purchased At:   already on bike

Similar Products Used:   Time ATAC

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000

Submitted by marino from edmonton

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I had these pedals for a couple of years as they came stock on my first "nice" bike, so they were also my first experience clipless pedals and at first I loved them and thought that they were the greatest pedals ever... I soon realized that I didn't love the pedals but the feeling of being clipped in, more control, more power...all that stuff, it only took a couple of rides in some muddy areas and less that great weather... at first I thought that it was the tension so I tightened that up then it felt like my cleats were crap so I got new ones and finaly looked down and reallized that I had to big fat mud drumsticks hanging off of my cranks... I have now had several rides in thick muddy conditions and that is often what I ride in ( the last two years have been abnormally dry ) and I have to stop and clear the pedaly with a stick or I will not get clipped in...that is total bullsh##$%T!!!!! they are absolutely terrible pedals,,, I have since uprgraded to the alomost god like time atac, and think that I will jump up again to crank bros beaters... these pedals were great to let me discover what I wanted and didn't want but other than that they are total garbage... save your money and spend all the time you will save pissing around with these garbage pedals and get some atac's or some egg beaters

Submitted by GREG JONES a Weekend Warrior from MORGANTON,NC

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2003

Strengths:    VERY EASY CLIPPING IN AND OUT!

Weaknesses:    A LITTLE TIGHT

Bottom Line:
GREAT PEADALS FOR THE PRICE

Favorite Trail:   catawabba river park

Purchased At:   A BIKE SHOW

Similar Products Used:   WELLGO

Submitted by Wayde a Cross Country Rider from York, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2003

Strengths:    Entry and Release, Looks, Durabilty, Mud Shedding, Reliable

Weaknesses:    A little on the tight side, weight 337g on my scale

Bottom Line:
I have these on both my bikes that is how much I liked them. When I find something I like I stay with it. I liked these pedals so much on my Trek when I bought my Jekyll I looked for them on Ebay and found them for $22.00 with cleats and shipping. However, I would have paid full price for them again. It is just to bad Bontrager stopped making the best product they ever built. I live in PA and this has been the wettest season I can remember in my 32 years on earth and these pedals shed mud perfectly. While my buddies are kicking their cleats on their pedals trying to engage I'm locked in and gone. And when it's time to release I'm out fast everytime. As for strengh I have 2837 miles on my Trek with the RE-1's and they work like new. I have had them apart twice to re-grease and that is it. IMHO the RE-1 are the best pedal out there at a great price. You should buy this product if you ride XC and want a great pedal at a fantastic price.

Purchased At:   Adventure Cycling & Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M515, M536

Bike Setup:   '00 Trek 8500 Complete XT 9 speed ; '03 Cannondale Jekyll 1000 Complete XT 9 speed

Submitted by Joe from Mountain View, CA

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2003

Strengths:    * Light
* Cheap - can be found on E-bay for under 40 bucks
* Easy engagement and disengagement

Weaknesses:    * Tight bearings
* NOT DURABLE - the platform on both pedals broke within 5 months of ROAD use!

Bottom Line:
I'm not sure how long pedals are supposed to last, but I'm sure they are expected to last for at least a year.

However, within a few months of on-road use, the cheap metal platform (where the cleat engages) has broken off on both pedals! I don't consider myself hard on components. I'm not even that heavy a rider either (under 150 lbs).

The bottom line is, during their short lifespan, they work fairly well- but after a few months you'll understand why they were so cheap. Watch out!

Submitted by Richard Tibenham a Downhiller from Lincoln

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2003

Strengths:    weight, durabilty

Weaknesses:    bad engagement

Bottom Line:
All this lot seem to like 'em, but personally i find them the worst pedals i've ever used. Engagement is very vague and difficult to locate, when using the bonty cleats supplied i found it was possible to jam the cleat in the pedal without it actually engaging and then when it came to disengagement you found your foot locked to the pedal. Mud clearance is average. Weight is good. They seem to carry on working without failure too.I'd Get yourself some Time atac s or shimano 858's. This was the first component i changed on the bike as i found them so poor.

Favorite Trail:   castle hill,ludlow

Purchased At:   bike bros.