Blackspire Sub-4 Pedal

• Simple, sexy and lightweight
  • Laser etched graphics

Submitted by Riverwolf a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2013

Strengths:    Lightweight, sealed bearings

Bottom Line:
These pedals are awesome. They're light, have a low profile and after alot of hard riding they still spin like brand new. Just the right amount of pins to give a great grip with some 5-10's. These are very good quality for the price.

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Bike Setup:   Trek Stache 7

Submitted by sand wedge a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2012

Strengths:    Super Light and grippy. In my experience, these pedals rock! I use them on my AM for the last 3 months and have not had a problem with anything. Bearings are sealed and rotate as if they were new. BTW, did I mention they were light?

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Being so light, there may be a possibility that a good hard rock strike can bend the pedal body. I guess you would have to balance durability for weight savings. At least all parts are available on the Blackspire website.

Favorite Trail:   North Shore

Duration Product Used:   3 Months

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Slayer 70

Submitted by UnderTheRadar

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2012

Strengths:    low profile and smooth

Weaknesses:    no grip!

Bottom Line:
I have never written a review before, but these pedals made me so mad I had to let others know. The pins are just pitiful! I would be much happier if they were longer and skinnier. There is just no grip at all, it was dangerous. I read other reviews that these pedals were grippy... maybe they were joking.

Submitted by MHanslip a Racer from Canberra

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2011

Strengths:    Light, attractive, solid, grippy

Weaknesses:    Thin anodising, delicate bearings

Bottom Line:
When coupled with my 5.10 shoes the grip is incredible. The pins seem just the right length. I keep waiting for my foot to skip off and the pins to rip my shin, but it hasn't even looked like happening so far. The platform is a good match for my size 11 foot (but the platform also collects more rocks as a result).

Compared to my painted pedals, these anodised ones seem very fragile in the finish. Every rock reveals the shine of bare aluminium underneath.

I've only been riding these for 3 or 4 months and already there is play in the pedal body. That is pretty disappointing and doesn't bode well for the long-term durability of these pedals. If the play continues to increase, I will get maybe a year of riding out of them before they are ready for the bin.

I wanted flats that were relatively thin, light and inexpensive - these covered all bases. Good to ride on, now it depends on how they last...
maybe as a race-only pedal for a DH bike?

Favorite Trail:   Skyline