Home | Reviews | Pedal | Azonic

Azonic 420 Flat Pedal

4.5/5 (12 Reviews)

The 420 pedals by Azonic are strong and lightweight platform pedalsThat are still durable and reliable. Extruded body CNC machined DU/sealed bearings W33 & V9 Pins Weight: 430g with pins/pair

Submitted by Bryan1113 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2013

Strengths:    Durability, light weight, colors

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Bought these for Christmas and love them. Feel glued to my bike with 5 10's and the green color matches my bike!

Submitted by RoyalFlush29er

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2012

Strengths:    Grip, Strength, Appearance

Weaknesses:    No replacement pins, But none have come loose, Nor have they worn down.

Bottom Line:
I ordered these pedals and waited a month for them to arrive. It was definitely worth the wait. They have some serious grip! So much so that they're actually tearing the tread on my shoes! I wear a size 10 shoe and I am completely happy with the width of these pedals. I would definately suggest these for someone interested in downhill, free ride, xc (if clip-in's aren't working for you)

Submitted by crook.shanks a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2012

Strengths:    -SOLID Build
-Strong axle, pins, and body
-Color choices are outstanding
-Durability seems to be a non-issue
-Grip is on par with super glue given the pin locations

Weaknesses:    -Color WILL chip upon pedal strikes
-Pedals are a bit narrow (size 13/14 shoe) so you really have to dig those feet in to land with confidence anything larger than an 18" drop.

Bottom Line:
Here's the story... I am a 6'5" 248 lb. rider with gear, and I love the tough terrain. Rock gardens, stream crossings, roots, drops, up & downhill, I'll take it all. When it came to choosing a pedal I opted for the Azonic based upon their durability reviews, and I was not disappointed. These things have held up to my size, rock impacts, pedal strikes, and keep on going. Although, as expected, the finish does chip when you run into rocks. No bent bodies or axles though even when pumping up super steep grades. The red pedals add just enough flavor to my Rumblefish, and complement the red accents already on the bike's hardware. I had my LBS order these in, and set them up for me and I couldn't be happier. Five chilis overall, and four for value as they are a tad expensive, and could be a bit wider. If you're a big rider, and demand durability out of gear, these are a solid choice.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco Valley, MD

Duration Product Used:   Four months so far

Purchased At:   Race Pace Baltimore

Similar Products Used:   Wellgo Pedals

Bike Setup:   Trek Rumblefish Elite 21"
Trek Dual Sport 8.5 22.5"

Submitted by Iloj

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2012

Strengths:    Good looks, lots of color options to bling out your bike, good build quality with sealed bearings and rubber rotation damper o-rings.

Weaknesses:    Could be wider and longer and could use a little more concave

Bottom Line:
Overall, a decent pedal for the price - I paid $75. My favorite pedal so far is Transition Step Down pedals, which are wider, longer and have more concave, plus backed by one of the best bike companies around.

Submitted by Dizzy D a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2012

Strengths:    Lower cost. Good looks. Good color selection. Good pins. Durable.

Weaknesses:    Not wide enough. Esp with 5.10 shoes.

Bottom Line:
Great looking pedal (powdercoat white) and pretty durable (a few dents hitting rocks on my DH rig), but feel really narrow. With my 5.10 Karvers I constantly feel like my feet are falling off the sides of the pedal, so I try to compensate by putting my feet closer into the crankarm on the pedal and that just makes my shoes rub my crankarms. I've always ridden flats (even before it was cool and before the skinny pedal marketing boom) and these by far feel the narrowest, making it harder to lean and psychologically more difficult to land drops. Premium thins put these to shame, and now that the Premiums come in white, that's what I'm switching to for this dh bike.

Duration Product Used:   3 seasons

Similar Products Used:   Premium Thins, DMR Vaults, Straitlines (demo'd), and dozens of other thick pedals before everyone started making them thin. Azonics are the narrowest-feeling.

Bike Setup:   Intense Uzzi vpx, 888wc, Deore 1x9, Outlaws, Saint brakes

Submitted by SoCalMtb

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2012

Strengths:    Grippy, solid, looks,

Weaknesses:    no replacement pins

Bottom Line:
These are great. I've always used clipless petals in the past but have been out of the scene for a while. I have always hated flats but decided to try it once again until I got comfortable on the bike again. I use them with my 5 ten freeride shoes and all I can say is wow. I remember slipping petals all of the time with flats in the past. It doesn't happen with these petals. You literally have to pick up your foot and move it if you need to reposition. Although I don't have any recent comparisons with other petals I can say without a doubt that these petals work and I'm not worried about looking for anything better.

Submitted by FNG RIDER a Cross Country Rider from Larchmont(Hollywood) CA

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2011

Strengths:    Weight, design, Annodized red, grip, concave platform design, sealed bearings and o rings. Low price.

Weaknesses:    no replacement pins provided.

Bottom Line:
I am switching over from Clipless, Candies. I got tired of not being able to clip out at awkward foot position and the ability to dab down in technicals. I like bling of the red anno color. It very comfortable even on beer runs wearing sandles. The price is very reasonable. I recommend these for beginners to intermediates.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Monica Mountains

Purchased At:   WheelWorld Culver Ci

Similar Products Used:   BlackLabel Plastic Flats, Kona Flats, Shimano spd platforms, crank bros candies

Bike Setup:   '11 Yeti 575 Race, XT Dynastar, Thompson, Easton, Fox and DT swiss

Submitted by wonny a Downhiller from mammoth,california

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2011

Strengths:    Grip,Durability,Low Profile

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest platform pedal, no replacement pins included

Bottom Line:
In the world of $100+ plus pedals, these 420 pedals seem reasonable at $80 when you factor in build quality, fairly low profile, grip and size. The 420's have a not too small, not too big cage size for the 7-10 shoe size rider. The pin placement works well and provides good grip w/o gnarly high pins.

I recommend this pedal to downhillers, racers and freeriders who want a good pedal at a solid price.

Favorite Trail:   downieville dh

Similar Products Used:   Crank Bros 5050XX, Twenty Six, Truvativ Holzfeller, Gravity

Bike Setup:   Intense SS2, Marzocchi 66 fork, holzfeller cranks, x9 shifter, x9 derailleur, thomson elite seatpost

Submitted by sakibomb29 a Cross Country Rider from pasadena, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2011

Strengths:    this is a strong strong pedal!!!

Weaknesses:    not as sticky as i would like but not an issue

Bottom Line:
this is a strong strong pedal!!!
i have hit some serious boulders rocks and took some mean spillz! these pedals are indestructible !!! Very light weight pedals! they also look really cool being so flat.I had to write about these pedaals because anyone knows when your riding down chantry flats mt wilson winter creek area its nuts!

Favorite Trail:   lower marshall canyon or el prieto

Purchased At:   pricepoint sale

Similar Products Used:   azonics

Bike Setup:   Chumba Killa

Submitted by 416to212 a Weekend Warrior from New York NY USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2010

Strengths:    Durable finish. Thin profile. Lots of grip through the use of intelligent pin placement.

Weaknesses:    Pricey.

Bottom Line:
Unlike a lot of other platform pedal makers, I feel that Azonic makes their pedals sticky without the need for a megaton of pins. Pin placement is along the perimeter which lets your foot concave mildly onto the base platform (which is pinless) for control. The pedal is comfortable to ride and feels very secure. I love the thin profile and very rigid feel for a pedal this light. The powder coat white is a durable finish and makes it one of the best looking pedals around. Unlike some people, I went from riding clipless to riding platforms. It's more fun and safe to have my feet free to whip a jump, ride skinnies, or drop a ledge.

Favorite Trail:   Glacier Ridge

Purchased At:   Method NJ

Similar Products Used:   Azonic magnesium, Ringle Sun, various clipless pedals.

Bike Setup:   2009 Commencal Meta 5.5.1

Submitted by da peach a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2009

Strengths:    Weight, Grip, Look.

Weaknesses:    A little fragile

Bottom Line:
As great as these pedals work and look at first, this is the first set of pedals I've ever bent. I'm not a huge guy, maybe 165 with gear on.

The axle bent on me after clipping a rock traveling at relatively low speed. I seem to hit my pedals a lot, but this is the first set I've bent.

Favorite Trail:   too hard to choose

Purchased At:   Velocity, BC