Home | Reviews | Pedal | Answer

Answer Rove FR Pedal

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

The Rove FR pedals offer a large concave platformThat allows youTo maintain maximum control. Weight: 467 grams Axle: Steel Bushing: DU Material: 6061 series alloy Studs: 10-10 hex head

Submitted by Tim a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2012

Strengths:    Slim profile, removable pins, shipped with spare pins, apperance, smooth operation.

Weaknesses:    Pins

Bottom Line:
I've run these pedals for about 5 months now. A few pins are starting to mushroom causing them to loose their bite. I've also sheared a couple pins off which are a pain to remove (hit rocks from time to time). I had to drill them and back out with an easy out. The pedals do come with extra pins which is nice. I'm currently lookin to replace them with something else. In my opinion, these are good pedals, just not great.

Favorite Trail:   Keystone

Purchased At:   On-Line

Bike Setup:   2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Evo

Submitted by Allrotor13b a All Mountain Rider from La Mesa, CA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2012

Strengths:    Rebuildable
Grip
Looks
Strength
Platform size
Color options
Thin deck
Spare pins included

Weaknesses:    None i have noticed

Bottom Line:
Tenacious grip and good-looking, these pedals have made me much more comfortable with more agressive riding. i can leave the ground without having to make sure i am precisely positioned on my pedals and the platforms are wide enough that i am not rubbing my crank arms so much anymore. These are very reasonably priced at the $70 range.

Favorite Trail:   The one i am riding at the time

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Wellgo, Kona

Bike Setup:   Hardtail trail bike

Submitted by BlueCannon a All Mountain Rider from Fort Worth, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2012

Strengths:    Affordable, grippy, looks great

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
These pedals are great! I switched to them after riding clipless for 6 years and I will never go pack. Great wide platform and very grippy pins. I bought shin guards to go along with them but they have not helped yet because I just don't slip off these pedals. They have taken so hard hits so far and seem to be very durable. Not to mention they look fantastic and come in a variety of colors.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Submitted by Eckstream1 a Weekend Warrior from Reading,Pa

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2012

Strengths:    Very grippy pedal...
Inexpensive compared to other pedals.
I like the non externally threaded pins... They don't chew your shins up!

Bottom Line:
Great pedal for the price!
Great pin design... Won't eat your shins!

Favorite Trail:   Neversink, Mt. Penn

Purchased At:   Xmas gift

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Nickel

Submitted by tsefreeflow a Cross Country Rider from AZ

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2011

Strengths:    Wide, solid, easy to install, easy to replace pins, very grippy, low profile and looks.

Weaknesses:    Have not found any!

Bottom Line:
These are great pedals. I started riding this year and got a bike with clip-ins and I did not like that set-up so ditched those and the new shoes I got for them. I found these wide flat pedals in red as I was looking for and got them. Just love them and have had no problems what-so-ever including with any of the pins. I have not replaced a pin yet, though I have bottomed the pedals out and hit them on rocks several times. They scratch up, but have never failed or given any problems.
As with any pedal, espeically ones with pins for grip, if you hit your shins or calf on them if you come off of them wrong, it will "F" you up, but it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that possibility by simply looking at them!

Favorite Trail:   Many

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Forte wide flats

Bike Setup:   Does it matter?

Submitted by woahey a Weekend Warrior from Sedona, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2011

Strengths:    Nice and wide, fits my size 13 shoe good. Great grip. Pins removed/installed with a socket and can be removed after getting smashed unlike allen type pins.

Weaknesses:    The only "bad" thing is you need shin protectors.

Bottom Line:
Great flat pedal that is very grippy. Don't slip!

Purchased At:   Gifted

Similar Products Used:   Wellgo, Crank Bros

Submitted by charvey9 a Weekend Warrior from Beaverton, OR

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2010

Strengths:    Wide platform, excellent pins, low profile, smooth.

Weaknesses:    The pedals didn't come with an Answer sticker for my tool box!

Bottom Line:
The Answer Rove FR pedals are very comfortable and perform better than any other platforms I have used. The socket type pins have a slightly larger diameter than a normal hex type, providing a pefect balance between grip and ability change foot position as neccessary. However, that should not be interpreted that these pedals allow your feet to slip around. Once you find find the sweet spot and point the bike downhill your feet will stay locked on until you decide otherwise. Although an extra package of pins are included in the box, I have not needed to replace one yet. The wide low-profile platforms provide the ability to easily re-acquire foot placement on the pedal if you take them off during a jump or hard turn. After just a short time of riding these, I will never go back to a "thick" platform pedal. Only time will reveal how durable they are, but overall these are a great performing pedal and well worth the coin.

Favorite Trail:   Black Rock

Purchased At:   Unviversal Cycles

Bike Setup:   09 Kona Dawg Supreme AM/DH

Submitted by davet a Weekend Warrior from canada

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2010

Strengths:    wide platform, thin profile, good pins, great looks

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy

Bottom Line:
I've been riding these for a short while, my first impressions are very good. The platform is nice and wide and the pins placed well. I don't have any issues with my feet slipping around, but they aren't so grippy that it's hard to reposition your feet if they aren't in the right spot. I like them. Time will tell how long they hold up. At 467 grams they aren't the lightest around, but they aren't excessive either.