White Industries Linear Motion Derailer System Derailleur

3.83/5 (6 Reviews)

White Industries Linear Motion Derailer System

Submitted by Jeff Hudnut a Cross Country Rider from Brighton, MI

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2002

Strengths:    smooth!!! effortless!!! Accurate!!! Preaty!!!

Weaknesses:    fragile, difficult setup, I can't ever seem to find a good tandem cable.

Bottom Line:
I was amaized at how fast and accurate this setup was the first time I rode it. It took forever to setup the cable tention to operate smoothly. but once everything is correct the thing is awesome. I had a problem with the hanger bolt breaking. I've gone through 6 since I got it. I also had a problem with the cable comming off of the lower pulley, but I made a catch so it wouldn't come off anymore. Overall it's and excelent concept in shifting but I think it needs a little refining.

Favorite Trail:   poto

Purchased At:   Specialized rep.

Similar Products Used:   XTR/XTR,ESP/ESP 9.0, GS800/Alivio

Bike Setup:   Y-50 frame, Xvert Ti, raceface everything, hugi/bontrager asym/mavic517c wheels.

Submitted by Charles Mote Jr. a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, Gerogia and Salvador, Bahia

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2000

Strengths:    Precise shifting every time - the engineering is the only creative approach to drls in this end of the century, Shimano will soon be copying it.

Weaknesses:    None as a result of the product - just as a result of the bike market

Bottom Line:
After reading all the available reviews of this product and talking with White about the design concept I realized the truth of the matter - for anyone interested in a drlr that works all the time in any conditions without fail, no ghost shifting, no weather foul-ups, no over/under shifts, i.e, a drl which works as it should and anyone can operate, this is the only choice currently on the market. I realized I could finally set-up bikes for my folks (hats off to them for getting me into riding as a tike) which they could use and not have to hassle with. I also realized I would be supporting a product and company who is actually trying to make a difference in the world of cycling by making producst that actually work and that don't require a slavish devotion to bike culture (i.e., it's ok to have to adjust my bike after every-ride, that's just part of the joy...)

The fact that the other reviewer who is currently in SA points out that some mechanics in the U.S. have no familiarity with this product, but a non-Shimano educated Chilean could put it together, WIHOUT reading the instructions, should be a testament to the simplicity of this design.

Lynn was also extremely helpful in helping me in my rush to get the bikes for my folks finished before I left the country. As soon as I can afford one myself, I will be putting it on my ride.

Kudos to Jim White for creating, what will become, a turning point in bicycling technology.

Similar Products Used:   Familiarity with most other makes of drls

Bike Setup:   Two Ti frames with Velospoke wheels, Moab seat-posts, Chromo forks, 8sp cssts, Titec bars and end, etc. Bikes that two 50 year olds can take out on trails and start to explore riding again.

Submitted by Aaron Heilbrun a Cross-Country Rider from Santiago, Chile

Date Reviewed: December 17, 1999

Strengths:
Super Smooth Shifting.

Weaknesses:
Price.
Complexity.
Weight.
Non-interchangeable.
Uniqueness.

Bottom Line:
This has been a long, long, long saga. I originally purchased the LMDS in February of 1999 from Mail Order Sports who busted their butts to get it together before my uncle left California to visit me down here.
Unfortunately, I discovered that the front derailler requires a top swing only design. Setback number one.
I waited two months till I got back and spent $80 on a new XTR front derailler. I took all the boxes and instructions to my LBS and asked them to install it. They called a few days later to say that the special cable guides were missing. Setback number two.
UPS took two weeks to get the parts here. Setback number three.
My bike shop or White Industries made a mistake. Parts sent were not the ones needed. Setback number four.
After a total of five weeks in the shop, my bike is returned to me. Happier than I clam I sail out of the shop. My joy is ephemeral. Shifting is terrible. It won't even shift into the smallest cog. The twister requires a lot of force to shift. Setback number five.
I return to the shop several times for additional tuning. During one of these visits the LBS mechanic speaks with White Industries over the phone during the tuning. To no avail. It is still sloppy. Setback number six.
I leave the states in mid July and take it to a mechanic here in Chile who improves the shifting considerably. Still, it remains imprecise. I return a couple more times and attempt it myself, but finally resign. I have changed cassettes, wheels and chains in the misguided efforts to allay the problem. In desperation I contact White Industries. Lynn there forwards my e-mail to the president who authorizes a new set for me. After several reminder e-mails, the set finally ships a month and a half later. Whoever took it to the office sent it ground mail. Setback number seven.
Two months later it finally arrives here. I take it the mechanic and he installs it. In the course of removing the old system we discover the shifter was badly worn. The original bike shop had damaged the shifter by not finishing cable correctly. The end of it was scraping the inside of the twister accounting for the very stiff shifting as well as the pile of metal shavings.
The new system is installed and works very well. It has been eight months since I originally purchase the product.
In sum, this system is superb and has the smoothest shifting on the market. Bar none. Yet, it comes with serious reservations:
1) The price is high at $250-300 for the shifter plus derailler and cables.
2) It is not exactly the lightest system in existence, but it is reasonable. Very solid
build.
3) The complexity of the system creates a lot of problems. Many, many mechanics in
the states do not know it. My original LBS in Michigan screwed it up. The
mechanic here in Chile was far superior. He didn't even read the directions. Keep
this point in mind because you better know how to tune it yourself, altough it really doesn't need any once installed correctly with functional parts.
4) Uniquesness - the cable length. Such a long cable is hard to find. Once the
original is cut, it pretty much married to that bike unless it is transfered to a
smaller bike. You must finish the cable EXACTLY. It must be underneath the small
cable screw in the shifter or else it will scrape the inside and cause all kinds of
problems. I have not yet had the chance to send back my original LMDS for warranty analysis. I will do so soon and post back. Thanks to Lynn for her help. I feel that this system has tremendous potential, but you should know that not all that glitters is gold. You need to be self-sufficient with it. Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions you might have. In all fairness to White Industries, my case is probably one of the anomaly stories that was a series of mishaps with blame in various places. Some on their part, but also a lot that was not their fault. We'll see what the warranty analysis says.
My front derailler worked very well and my only criticism of that is that it's a little imprecise in the downshift from 3 to 2. That is to say, I'm not really sure how far to twist the sfifter unless I look down to verify where the derailler is. Other than that, the front derailler has performed very well.
I give it five stars for the concept, four for customer representation, one for the speed with which the situation was handled and one for the disaster that it has been for me. In sum, three stars.

Alameda

1 Year

XTR, XT, STX RC

Gary Fisher 99 Big Sur.

Submitted by pat a Downhiller from jackon, pa

Date Reviewed: October 23, 1999

Strengths:
nothing at all this is a bad prouduct.

Weaknesses:
everything it is horrible

Bottom Line:
its the worst.

3 months

al shimano prouducts are better.

gt xcr1000, all xtr

Submitted by thebeav a Cross-Country Rider from Puyallup, WA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 1999

Strengths:
Shifting on demand, no matter the conditions.
It's not Shimano. BMOC factor.

Weaknesses:
1.5mm allen wrench is necessary to disassemble the shifter.

Bottom Line:
If you've ever ridden on a cold day and had your bike turned into a one speed because of the ice in the drivetrain, then this is the system for you. Just grab, twist and your chain moves. Shifts can also be executed when the chain is loaded. Not that I'm that ham-fisted. The detents between gears can also be adjusted to rider preference from extra crispy to silky smooth-almost friction feel. Overall it's a nice piece of gear the no one knows about.

Devil's Gulch

Avid Tri align II cantis
Avid Ultimate levers
Race Face cranks
Race Face tapelock bb
Syncros post and riser bar.
Control Tech hi rise stem

Submitted by Joshua Colley a Cross-Country Rider from Hays, Kansas

Date Reviewed: May 16, 1999

Strengths:
Very smooth action.
Easily adjusted once its installed.
Looks sweet and US made.

Weaknesses:
Lots of cable.
Lots of housing.
Five little tiny screws on the shifter cover.

Bottom Line:
This system looks and works really well. It feels like nothing else out there. The shifting is really quick and without a return spring to give resistance, it is effortless. The derailleur glides on 2 ball bearings. Set-up is a little tricky, but worth it.

Lake Wilson Switchgrass

less than 1 month

Shimano ESP, XT, LX

Iron Horse ARS 7.0, Rock Shox FSX w/Total Air, XTR/Mavic Wheelset, Cook Bros F Cranks