Suntour XC Pro front derailleur Derailleur

4.17/5 (12 Reviews)

Suntour XC Pro front derailleur

Submitted by Andy Hardcastle a Weekend Warrior from London, England

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2001

Strengths:    These work better than anything made then or since. I don't know if it's the bulges in the cage, but they are sweeter than the new XTR. So much so , that I have Suntour XC Pro/ XC Expert on both of my MTBs.

Weaknesses:    They are hard as hell to find. Well, they are in the UK.
I found both of mine, on old but perfect ex-yuppie bikes for sale at markets.

Bottom Line:
I have swapped to Suntour for the front derailleur on both of my bikes. This means ditching XTR. They really do work so much better, which is important when you are in the middle of nowhere. I use an old Shimano Deore DX Thumbshifter for the front mech and it's the biz. Usual XTR shifter/Mech for the rear.

So, if anyone wants a couple of XTR f. mechs, get in touch.

Similar Products Used:   LX, XT, XTR, Sachs, everything

Bike Setup:   Kona Titanium, w. XTR group, Race Face cranks and Suntour front mech.

Submitted by Arron West a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap, Easy to adjust and long lasting

Weaknesses:    Hard to find!, biggest weakenss is that they aren't made anymore.

Bottom Line:
For the price these are the best deraillers made. I am using the XC pro rear on my rigid, it is shifting from a grip shift type twister unto an 8 sprocket cassette. Mechanics have told me this should not be possible, but I live to tell that it is. I have to use a newer shimano XT on the front of the Marin, I am constantly adjusting that peice of crap.
I love these products. My full suspension had a full pair on it until I broke up the pair by buying a custom machined rear. I still use the Suntour front derailler that is about 5 years old. I never adjust these deraillers except when I move them from bike to bike. I ride them HARD too.

I would reecommend these for people who want long lasting products. I would not ride DH racing on them, but anything else YES. Once they are set right, never adjust again. Sloppy enough to work on anything.

Similar Products Used:   Sontour XT and XTR, Joes,

Bike Setup:   2 bikes, alpinstar full and marin rigid, Suntour rear (owned 5+ years) on Marin, Suntour front on alpinestar (2+yrs)

Submitted by tim a Weekend Warrior from ohio

Date Reviewed: December 6, 1999

Strengths:
cheap
shifts well

Bottom Line:
the below reviews are stupid. this f der weighs the same as shimano xt, very durable, smooth shifting

2 Years

xt xtr

Submitted by Mavis a Downhiller from California Doin's

Date Reviewed: June 13, 1999

Strengths:
great suntour realibilty at a cookie-cutter price.

Weaknesses:
my hands bleed when i shift....cause arthritis

Bottom Line:
wow, what can i say! My hands may bleed when i try to shift, and the effort may have given me arthritis, and i have pulled 4 muscles while streniously trying ti shift, these really are kickass front derialluer. If you like random shifting, if you like resitance when shifting, if you like heavy products, if you like everything opposite of shimano quality this is the kick ass derailluer for you! 5 hot dogs from me!

my backyard

more than 3 years

none, nothing matches the amazing suntour

DH super v8,000,000XY 600ZS 1 inch rear travel via fox rc with tinker juarez tight spring and a smokin sr suntour 8001 dh front shock.

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from CA

Date Reviewed: June 13, 1999

Strengths:
Made in the good old U.S.H.

Weaknesses:
Gave me scavies, I thought that this disease went out with pirates!

Bottom Line:
Well, the guy who wrote the previous review thinks he has it bad, I only wish my hands would bleed instead of having to deal with scavies. It itches so bad, if only I could end it all.... Oh yeah, my friend Mr. Bojengals says the time of purification is at hand.

Shinamo RTX

Bannondale Super B 700.1

Submitted by Bud a Cross-Country Rider from CA

Date Reviewed: May 12, 1999

Strengths:
not brake when hit tree

Weaknesses:
head brake when go through tree

Bottom Line:
bik on freway...hed go throuu tre...wish had deralor of beter...deralor make hed thruou tre...wish had insurance

turd vaporizer, ass purse

unicycle

Submitted by R.C. a Cross-Country Rider from CA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 1999

Strengths:
All the durability and strength of plastic mixed with the ultra-light weight of a brick. .

Weaknesses:
Not made for bikes, I had to do some tweaking.

Bottom Line:
Enougb about componentry, can anyone get to level 4 on Pokemon?

6 months

Stapler, kachina doll, scissors, television. None matched the precise shifting of the suntour.

C-dale Super-V-Expensive

Submitted by Michael Glasgow a racer from Purdue University

Date Reviewed: February 1, 1999

Bottom Line:

My My My, such intellectual reviews. First, derailleurs don't have index spacing, they simply move. Shifters control indexing. Second, I bet blow me in Maryland doesn't have a clue about adjustment. Finally this is one of the more precise and reliable derailleurs I have used. Three years through all twelve months of salt, grit and slime on my commuter bike. What more can I ask? I can almost guarantee my XTR can't match this. The rear allready hasn't. It's called maintenance friends.

Submitted by fluffy a cross-country rider from birmingham, england

Date Reviewed: December 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is a real piece of work. It works, it doesn't have any unnecessary poncy crap. Its light, its shiny. Anyone that doesn't like it is silly. Trouble is you don't seem to be able to get them anymore.

Submitted by me a cross-country rider from maryland

Date Reviewed: August 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

This thing blows me like nothing else has ever blown me in all my 22 years on this planet. This thing sucks me like nothing else has ever sucked me in all my 22 years on this planet. This thing is a piece of crap, crappier than any piece of crap that has ever existedon this planet.

Submitted by R. Alexis a weekend warrior from Fremont,Ne

Date Reviewed: March 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have had several bikes with Suntour XC Pro front der. I
think that it shifts great. I had the micro-drive version
on a bike with standard non micro gearing (28-38-50) and it
worked great. The cage is designed to work with both
standard and compact drivetrains. The only problem is that
there not easy to come by. Suntour also used the same
design in the der. 3-4 steps below XC Pro.

Submitted by Lee a weekend warrior from California

Date Reviewed: January 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

Suntour XC Pro front derailleur, Microdrive type, bought in 1996.This derailleur has a strong return spring. No hesitation when downshifting,
but requires more effort to upshift. The Microdrive type works well with
Shimano Hyperdrive-C chainrings. It has a maximum chainring size of 48.
I do not know if it will work perfectly with Shimano index spacing, since
I am using it with non-indexed GripShift. The cable pull does appear to be
fairly close to Shimano cable pull, if it is not exactly the same.Suntour has not been selling middle to high end stuff in the USA for a
while, but some stuff can be found gathering dust in bike shops or mail
order retailers. Prices vary from $8 to $23. There are rumors that Suntour
may re-enter the USA market.Weight weenies might care that the weight is about 4 ounces.img srcexed GripShift. The cable pull does
appear to be
fairly close to Shimano cable pull, if it is not exactly the same.