SRAM XX Rear Derailleur

To the casual observer, the SRAM XX Rear Derailleur might look just like a SRAM X.0 rear derailleur. Far from it. While it does share a great number of details, the XX Derailleur is quite different.For one, the full carbon fiber cage is built specifically for its role in the XX group to accommodate the narrower 10-speed chain and 36t cog. The XX Rear Derailleur is also the first SRAM mtb derailleur to use their Exact Actuation Technology along with the matching XX shifters. While their 9-speed groups have long relied on a 1:1 pull ratio, designed to be more tolerant of the muck and grit associated with mountain biking, the Exact Actuation in the 10-speed XX group takes the performance to another level by ensuring a perfect and consistent shift distance between each gear, all the way across the cassette. And like the rest of their rear derailleurs, the XX model is designed for direct cable routing, eliminating the typical loop of excess housing necessary with other derailleurs.The XX Rear Derailleur is feathery light, mostly due to the use of high tech materials. We mentioned the full carbon fiber cage, but just as impressive is the combination of the forged magnesium and 6061-T6 aluminum inner and outer links, the forged 7075-T6 aluminum B-knuckle, and the use of aluminum and titanium for the hardware and cage spring respectively. It's apparent that no material was worth overlooking to create what we feel like has been their finest offering to date. As evidence of their quest for perfection, they even used their Blackbox ceramic bearings in the pulleys to eliminate excess drag when you're trying to go as fast as possible.The SRAM XX Rear Derailleur is designed to work with SRAM's 10-speed 11-32 and 11-36 cassettes paired with a double crankset. It's available with two cage length options -- Mid and Long. The mid length cage is best suited for use with hardtails and single-pivot suspension designs with minimal chain growth throughout the range of travel. The long cage model can handle the greater chain growth potential that many full suspension trail bikes exhibit. If in doubt, go with the long cage version. It was once the only option anyway.Click here to save when you purchase an XX build kit.

Submitted by Robert

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2014

Strengths:    snappy, fast shifting. Precise and accurate. shifts as good as my xtr group

Weaknesses:    low weight material mean poor durability. went out of tune quickly but adjustments brought it back to normal

Bottom Line:
I just bought a new Rocky Mt 999 with the SRAM xx group. I'm 54 and weigh 147 and ride 3 or 4 times per week. Derailleur broke (lost all tension) with in the first 3 hours of riding and the chain slap has damaged and pitted the carbon chain stay. There is a reason I have stuck with XT and XTR... durability.
This shifting system is fast and snappy once set up right. Be very aware of durability and longevity of this product.

Submitted by rlock a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent shifting
Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Chain skips off tension pulley
Expensive

Bottom Line:
Like some other reviewers, I've had the problem where the chain tends to skip off the tension pulley and ride between the pulley and the inner cage. This damages the cage and makes it impossible to rotate the pedals backwards, which one occasionally needs to do on the trail. This was very annoying but I have found a solution that so far works perfectly: tie 2 large cable ties around the inner cage, effectively reducing the gap between chain and cage. When the chain tries to skip off, the ties guide it back on. I have pictures here which hopefully clarify what I mean:

Other than that, the shifting is excellent but I would say not good enough to justify the high price (mine came with the bike, so I had no choice).

Similar Products Used:   SRAM XO
Shimano XT, XTR, LX

Submitted by Les Gemar a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2012

Strengths:    I have an Ibis Mojo HD that came with X9. Thought I'd upgrade and changed out the shifters, crank, cluster, and rear derailler to Sram XX. Amazing shifting! Been a Shimano XT and XTR rider my whole life and was just knocked over with the clean crisp shifting.

Weaknesses:    Been riding the XX for about 2 months now. Yesterday went on an XC ride, stood up to crank up a hill, and broke the cage in half. The broken section sucked up into my chain and cluster and locked my back tire. Had to take off the chain to get the broken bottom half of the cage out of my cluster. Coasted back to the parking lot. Called SRAM this morning about warranty. Very nice guy, but I'm out the $200+ for the derailler since I bought it from an EBAY bike store. No Warranty and VERY VERY Fragile derailler. I'm an XC rider and 58 years old. God only knows what happens to these derailers with a 20 something all mountain rider on very technical trails.

Bottom Line:
Very good/incredible shifting! Very fragile cage! Warranty from SRAM looks highly unlikely. When SRAM gets the cage figured out (get rid of the carbon fiber) this will be an awesome derailer. They also need to figure out how to reduce the retail price. Too expensive.

Note to buyers on EBAY, I just received a call from SRAM, if you do not buy from a legitimate bike store, you are buying product without a warranty.

Favorite Trail:   Porqupine Rim

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR, XT, and SRAM X9

Submitted by Slacker a Racer from Corpus Christi

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2012

Strengths:    Upshifts

Weaknesses:    Downshift vague and skippy.

Bottom Line:
Fragile cage plates combined with the slack spacing means that chain can derail and shear plates if you ride on anything remotely technical. Not worth the money, at all...

Purchased At:   Spec'd on bike

Similar Products Used:   X9, XTR, XT

Bike Setup:   EpIc 29er

Submitted by Robin v Berkel a Cross Country Rider from Holland ( oss )

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2012

Strengths:    looks / how it works / weight

i got from day one and super i us Extralite Ultra Pulleys 10T in it and Derailleur weight now 167gr ( 181gr ) and works all time for short time i us sram Red and now am back to XX and i Love it problem ppl say thy got and i got 0 problems

Weaknesses:    price ?? Top of line der do cost much money you cant ask Top of Line Derailleur to be cheap

Bottom Line:
The Bottom Line: its super der for me no other Derailleur on my bike

Favorite Trail:   ardennen and close to home

Similar Products Used:   X.o many years
Sram Red many years
Sram 9.0 many years
XTR and XT

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rush carbon SL team 8.75kg

Submitted by teeroy a Cross Country Rider from Eagan, MN

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2011

Strengths:    Can't think of any.

Weaknesses:    Weak, fussy, overpriced,

Bottom Line:
I have had the same problem with the lower pulley as the other guys in this review. That is the lower pulley wheel and cage has too much play and the chain derails from the lower pulley. If any one from Sram reads this I would like to talk to you about replacements. I've tried the local bike shops and they don't want to help and your website is impossible. It would be nice to have a list of your local reps.

Purchased At:   Bikesdirect

Similar Products Used:   XTR

Bike Setup:   Ti hardtail 29er

Submitted by skennedy a Racer from Auburn, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2011

Strengths:    ultra quick/positive shifts, lt.weight

Weaknesses:    Cost too much

Bottom Line:
I went with the SRAM stuff because I know it shifts good and its very lite. I was trying to build up a full suspended 29er XC racer that I could trail ride too. The derailleur has been flawless so far. I was a little concerned about reliability of a lite derailleur like the XX but so far so good. All my friends that have ridden it comment on how positive it it shifts

Favorite Trail:   Foresthill Divide