SRAM XX Front Derailleur

2.8/5 (5 Reviews)

If you're looking for beefy stealth, consider the XX front derailleur which shifts across the entire gearing range with near nil chain rub

Submitted by Slacker a Cross Country Rider from Corpus Christi, Texas USA

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2011

Strengths:    Crisp upshift.

Weaknesses:    Flimsy

Bottom Line:
Have actually had two over the past 17 months One high clamp, top pull on a 29" Ti hardtail and one high clamp, bottom pull on my 26" Epic. Both have suffered cage failures, one on top bend, the other on the bottom. Neither gave me more than 10 months service. Going back to XT (or XTR on sale).

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   All XX, except FSA 386 cranks

Submitted by gearjunkie88 a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, TX

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2010

Strengths:    Shifts quickly, even under load.

Weaknesses:    Broke

Bottom Line:
During my course pre-ride the day before a 24 hour solo race, the cage on the front derailleur broke at the rear/bottom bend. I used JB Weld and duct tape to hold the derailleur together for the race. I was amazed that the kludge worked for 24 hours. SRAM sent me a new front derailleur (warranty replacement). That was cool of SRAM to do, but it would have been nice if the derailleur had not broken the day before a race. I've used Shimano parts for about 15 years and have not had problems. Bottom line: Buy the XX drivetrain if you have deep pockets, can afford to keep replacements of everything on hand, and have a full-time mechanic working for you. Otherwise, stay with the old, tried-and-true stuff.

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR

Bike Setup:   Titus X, full XX drivetrain and brakes

Submitted by carlpretzel a Racer from Colfax, NC , USA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2010

Strengths:    Looks great

Weaknesses:    Poor shifting. unreliable.

Bottom Line:
I'll be the first one to say this 2x10 group is not for the weekend racer. If you have a deep wallet this group is for you. Pivot got it wrong first. The clearance on the rear triangle to small ring was so close, Pivot had to replace my triangle after trying to reface the BB. Sram has replaced my chainrings twice since I've owned the bike. I've gone thru one chain and one cassette already this year. This bike is my primary racebike. My local bike shop has been great to me. Bottom line, 3x9 is more reliable. Maybe the new 2x10 system's coming out will be more reliable. One think all can learn from my experience. DON'T let the chain wear beyond .75!

Purchased At:   Cycle Therapy

Similar Products Used:   XT

Bike Setup:   2010 Pivot Mach4 full XX

Submitted by Alex Wild a Racer from Los Gatos

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2010

Strengths:    Light. Quick.

Weaknesses:    Very finicky(Technical term). Have had problems shifting up to the 39t ring.

Bottom Line:
It is a great idea that needs to be perfected. I have had issues with some of my XX stuff, the front derailleur in particular, the upshifts are not as crisp as I would of expected from this group. I would suggest waiting for prices to be lowered (as happened with X.0). This kit was made for cross country racers and requires a lot of upkeep. I suggest X.0 or XTR/XT for the weekend warrior who would just like to ride his/her bike.

Favorite Trail:   Sol Vista Park

Purchased At:   Trail Head Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   XTR

Bike Setup:   2010 Stumpjumper HT S-Works

Submitted by addctd2adrnlne a Racer from San Bruno, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2010

Strengths:    Super fast shifting

Weaknesses:    Must use a friction compound on clamp surface when installing derailleur on seat tube. Price $$$$$

Bottom Line:
Its well known among roadies that double chainring setups shift better than triples. The same is now true for mountain biking with the release of double specific front derailleur and matching crankset. SRAM/Truvativ did an excellent job with the XX drivetrain, delivering a new level of shifting performance. The upshifts and the downshifts are super fast no matter where you are in the pedal stroke.

The only downfall of the XX front derailleur (and this is only for the clamp style ones), is the need for a friction compound when clamping to the seat tube. If the friction compound is not used, then the front derailleur will twist on the seattube. Since I had the friction compound applied, the front shifting has been flawless.

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho Boy Scout Camp

Purchased At:   Summit Bicycles - Bu

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XTR, Shimano XT, SRAM X9

Bike Setup:   2010 Trek Top Fuel ABP 9.9 stock with Crankbrothers Candy 2Ti pedals

XX1 gearing: Handy chart to see what front chain ring to buy based on XX gear ratios

I did a bunch of searching around to compare the gearing for my existing XX 2x10 with 24/38 in front and 11/36 in the rear in order to decide what would be the best gearing for the very steep bay area mountains for my XX upgrade. I was annoyed by the simple rounding that everyone was doing just to ... Read More »

Paid Spam: Sram XX Front Derailleur with Pivot XX Cable Guide

[url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=83205]Sram XX Derailleur S3 39T w/ Pivot Cable Guide - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url] Selling my old front derailleur. It came off my 429, not sure what other Pivots it'll fit. Its a Sram XX S3 39t front der ... Read More »

XTR / XX Drivetrain Compatibility (Shifters / Front Der)??

Hey, everyone. Just picked up a Jet9 RDO on clearance. The new frame requires a change in cranks as the XTR Race 28/40, which I love so much, won't work. Also need a direct mount front derailleur. I plan to keep the rest of the XTR drivetrain, however. Contemplating the following options. Ca ... Read More »

Can I use a sram xx front derailleur with shimano xt shifter pod and slx M665 cranks?

Hey guys, My bike frame came with a sram xx front derailleur. I am setting my bike up for 2x10 but using a slx M665 front crank with a bashgaurd. The crank is a 36-22 with outer ring being bashguard. My question is, can I use the sram xx front derailleur with a shimano xt pod and slx crankset?Read More »

witch direct mount XX front derailleur for Scalpel 29

Hi, I have a SCalpel 1 29ER and want to replace the X0 with a XX front derailleur , but what type S2 or S3 39T bottom pull do i order? Thanks RoyRead More »