SRAM X9 Type 2 Rear Derailleur

3.67/5 (6 Reviews)

You're rolling over boulders like a tank. You line up to take on a sketchy steep climb, give it a burst of power, and then realize your chain isn't connected to the drivetrain anymore. You lurch to an abrupt stop, boil over into a rage, and consider the merits of hucking your bike, riderless, down the hillside into oblivion. The SRAM X9 Type 2 Rear Derailleur helps prevent dropped chains and limits chain slap by incorporating a clutch mechanism that controls chain tension and stabilizes the rear derailleur cage. Shimano's Shadow Plus design, which is engineered to produce a similar chain-stabilizing effect, preceded SRAM's Type 2 design in reaching the marketplace. However, Type 2 technology differs from its competition in a key way. Rather than opting for an adjustable friction band, SRAM put a Roller Bearing Clutch in their Type 2 derailleurs. The clutch comes pre-set from the factory to provide a certain amount of friction inside the derailleur cage pivot. This friction keeps the cage from bouncing up and down over rocky trails and de-tensioning the chain. Because it's pre-set at the factory, SRAM's Type 2 clutch can't be disengaged or adjusted like Shimano's Shadow Plus mechanism. That being said, the Type 2 clutch is self-lubricating, and there are no external moving parts, so unlike the Shadow Plus system, it's designed to be maintenance-free. The Type 2 mechanism adds about 30 grams to the weight of a standard X9 rear derailleur. A unique feature of the Type 2 system is that its Cage Lock technology allows you, with the push of a button, to lock the derailleur cage in an extended position. While it may not be a game changer, this is a nice feature that allows for easier-than-ever rear wheel installation. There's no need to worry if you accidentally leave the derailleur cage locked; it will return to normal operating position when you hit your first bump. Another benefit of the Cage Lock is that it makes chain installation a bit easier; you don't have to maintain a consistent pulling force on the cage while joining the two chain ends.SRAM's Exact Actuation Technology facilitates consistent shifting through all gears, including 36-tooth rear cogs. The X9 Type 2 is a tad heavier than the stepped-up X0 Type 2, but it'll leave you some cash for dog food. The X9 Type 2 uses sealed bushings in the pulleys and has an alloy cage. The SRAM X9 Type 2 Rear Derailleur comes in Black/grey and in 3 cage lengths: Short, Medium, and Long. SRAM suggests the short cage for downhill use, Medium cage for 2 x 10 use, and Long cage for 3 x 10 use.

Submitted by Jayem a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2013

Strengths:    Not sure, as the bike comes with a chainguide in addition to this derailleur, so obviously the bike company doesn't think the derailleur alone will hold the chain and I have to agree.

Weaknesses:    Clutch engages sometimes when shifting gears in rough terrain. This is absolutely idiotic, it renders the derailleur useless and if I was going fast, I'd suspect I'd get some chain-wrap problem that would probably rip it off. It's a pain to get the thing disengaged or whatever. You have to stop and reset the derailleur and wrap the chain back around the front ring. This is, um, kind of the complete opposite idea of the derailleur (keeps the chain on). This thing also shifts pretty lazy for being an X9. I have an X5 10spd on my other bike and it's more precise. Supposedly this is due to factory over-torquing the torx clutch bolt, but who cares, it doesn't blow me away. It shifts correct most of the time, but the other big problem is the clutch RATTLE. It rattles all over the place. Supposedly you can take it apart, untension the clutch spring, take the bearing out and grease it, then re-assemble everything, and it's fixed, but this is completely unacceptable on a high end derailleur like this. Every single XT (equivalent derailleur) I've ever owned just works and doesn't need additional tweaking or work.

Bottom Line:
Meh, not impressed. Would be more impressed with a slightly lighter non-clutch version that actually improves on my X5. The clutch idea is cool, if they can get it to work. It's a work in progress though...

Favorite Trail:   Epic

Duration Product Used:   1 week

Similar Products Used:   Just about every other one.

Bike Setup:   2014 Specialized Enduro SE Comp.

Submitted by matt1025 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2013

Strengths:    Crisp shifting, low noise, looks good, better than X9 or X0 without Type 2 clutch. Good value for the money being that it is not much heavier than X0 T-2 but less than 1/2 the price.
This is on my Stumpjumper Comp 29er run with 2x10 X9 front 38/24 and 11-36 in rear. I went w/ Long Cage reco from my LBS.

Weaknesses:    None so far. Could be lighter but I am going w/ reliability.

Bottom Line:
I recently moved from an X9 to and X0 and thought it would increase a lot on performance. Overall, it did not do much for the performance of the bike except dropping a few grams. It was still loud and over bumps, roots and rock gardens it was obnoxious. Losing the chain or mis-shifing was always a factor. The X9 Type 2 was put on at my LBS and I went out for my first few rides. The old X9 creaking was back, but it shifted better than my X0 due to the stronger spring and T-2 clutch puts the shift right when you want it. The creaking WAS NOT THE X9 T-2, it was my derailleur hanger!!!!!. Removal and a little grease between the hanger and frame did the trick. THIS THINGS RUNS VIRTUALLY SILENT NOW. Yes, you get minor chain chatter that is not a factor. My only issue now is hearing other parts on my Stumpy make noise. Quiet enough it is like riding a single speed.

Favorite Trail:   Anything cross country local to me :-)

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Similar Products Used:   X9 and X0

Bike Setup:   Spec. Stumpjumper Comp 29er (Alum) with X9 2x10 38/24 and 11-36. Stans Arch EX w/ 29 x 2.1 Spec. Ground Control run Tubeless.

Submitted by tylerw a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2013

Strengths:    quite
superb shifting
limited chain slap
smooth

Weaknesses:    not the lightest

Bottom Line:
This is my first sram derailleur. I have to say this is better than expected. The shifting is instant. The type 2 really limits chain slap which is awesome if you ask me. This keeps it very quite out on the trail. The quality is the sram standard (good). The ease of set up is nice with this one also. The locking option make it very nice when removing or inserting rear wheel from/to drop outs. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good solid shifting mech.

Submitted by beastmaster

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2013

Strengths:    Quiet, eliminates chain slap completely, stops chain from dropping or ghost-shifting entirely, and, did I say quiet?

Weaknesses:    Nothing. None. There aren't any weaknesses to it.

Bottom Line:
These clutch-style derailleur are fantastic! Shimano calls theirs the Shadow. Sram calls theirs a Type 2. Each have interesting elements. My bike has Sram X9 shifters (Shimano XT 2x10 cranks and a 11-36 cassette) already so changing to a Shimano XT shadow was not the call. I think you can't go wrong with either brand.

What I found completely amazing is how dead silent this setup made the bike. It is like a single speed in terms of how quiet the drive train is now. AND it has completely eliminated any chain slap, dropping off (inside or out), or chain suck! I ride in the Southern Rockies. We have LOTS of things to punish a drive train. I just flat-out works. Did I mention its quiet?

Submitted by Simon a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2013

Strengths:    Quiet, price point, build quality

Weaknesses:    Heavier than standard, very fussy to setup, drops gears, loads hanger, spoils small bump compliance.

Bottom Line:
After 3 weeks of setup and tuning I've finally given up on the X9 type 2. Hopefully I can outline the problems below and help you punters to make a better informed decision.

1) The return spring in the parallelogram linkage is weak to compensate for the clutch making shifting heavier. This means the derailleur will bounce down against the cable tension and drop gears.

2) On a VVP suspension design like my Reign, there is constant chain growth as the suspension works. This means the derailleur clutch is inhibiting small bump compliance and placing extra load on the hanger by trying to prevent chain growth.

3) On a bumpy trail the clutch will be constantly breaking tension to allow slack for chain growth. This in turn causes the driveline to flap around on the weak parallelogram spring and drop gears all over the show.

On top of this, the installation instructions are vauge and simplistic - In reality there are a lot of tricks for getting the type 2 setup - correct chain length and precise B screw adjustment to name a few. However when you're constantly dropping gears on a bumpy trail, or much less, skipping gears dropping off small kerbs the marketing shine diminishes to a brown smear.

In conclusion, it just doesn't work as advertised - It probably works great on a hard tail, or zero grow suspension design - I feel disappointed that I was totally sucked into the Sram marketing machine. After you see all the Sram sponsored launches and glowing magazine reviews its hard not to. But ultimately I feel like I've been mislead by a half baked product that has failed to deliver on its premise.

Favorite Trail:   Billy T

Duration Product Used:   3 Weeks

Purchased At:   wiggle.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   shimano XT, 105, X7 short cage, x9 short cage (Each generation since launch)

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign X1 (gen1)

Submitted by Mike

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2013

Strengths:    Quiet! Good, very reliable shifting.

Weaknesses:    Takes that SRAM clunk on shifting to a new level- feel the vibration through the stays.

Bottom Line:
Had to replace the derailleur on a brand new bike, so I was really bummed. It was about 2 weeks after this product became available, but the price difference was so small, I decided to give it a try. It's been great all summer, fall, and winter (probably only about 200 hours trail riding, and maybe half that on the road). Just brought the bike in for a tuneup, and then went for a ride on my old 26" hardtail, which is over a decade old, but with a fairly new drivetrain. In particular, I think it's a 2011 XT RD. Now I really appreciate the "type 2" feature- I had honestly forgotten how noisy mountain biking was before the new bike with this derailleur. SRAM has made it pretty much impossible not to buy this with their pricepoint, and so far, I'd say it's well worth it.

SRAM X9 type 2 Rear Der Stuck Hanger Bolt...

Ok, this has happened about 5 times in the past few years, and is the predominant reason I have to swap them out. Rear shifting seems to **** the bed. I think I must have tweaked the hanger. No problem, I have a Park hanger straightener. I got to remove the der from the hanger, and the fugger is ... Read More »

Are newer X9 Type 2 Rear Ders. LESS clunky that the first year?

I finally exhausted my stash of X9 T2 rear Ders. and need to get a new one. I read all the threads (or think I have) and there is no indication if the [U]new[/U] production runs have eliminated the clunkiness? I recall that the XO series did not do that as bad. It really seemed to jack with the flow ... Read More »

sram X9 type 2 rear derailleur with 9 spd cassette, will this work

I'd like to try a type 2 rear derailleur to help with chain slap, but i don't want to go complete 10 spd, other than swapping the pulleys for 9 spd ones, any suggestions or thoughts if this will work.Read More »

xo & x9 type 2 rear derailleur

I am in the market for a new rear set up, Would like to go with a type 2 rear set up, But after looking @ all the reviews on line, There's not any positive feed back on them..Does any one on here have any good reviews on these units?Read More »

sram x9 type 2 rear derailleur and noir 9spd crankset

Will this configuration work? Does the thinner chain have issues riding on 9spd crankrings?Read More »