SRAM X7 Front Derailleur

2.31/5 (13 Reviews)

Run a SRAM X7 10-Speed Front Derailleur for lightning-fast shifts.Exact Actuation 1:1 ratio means cable movement is equal to derailleur movement, providing reliability, easy setup, and effortless actuationEngineered cage works with X-Glide chainrings for instant, precise shifts up, down, and...

Submitted by Paolo

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2014

Strengths:    I don't see any strenght. It's a front derailleur.

Weaknesses:    Too hard to shift. Chain often rubs.

Bottom Line:
I bought my GT Zaskar 9er Carbon Expert with this 2x10 X7 derailleur. It works fine, but it has 2 little problems. The first il that when you fully cross the chain ex. small small or big big, the chain rubs in the derailleur. But this is not so important, just don't cross gears. The second problem is that it's extremely hard to shift, even with brand new teflon covered cables. Compared to a shimano XT you must use 5 times more force on the shifting lever. This is bad, I am going to change it with an XX ort Shimano XTR.

Submitted by Ryan a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2013

Strengths:    Nope

Weaknesses:    Does not work

Bottom Line:
This came on my Yeti Sb - 95 and has been such a headache. It does not shift properly and should not be put on a bike like this. I have worked on it for hours and taken to my local bike shop, but can not get it to shift gears properly. Like the other guy said it seems to shift when it feels like it...I have now given up on this almost brand new derailleur and looking for a replacement. Do not buy.

Duration Product Used:   2 Months

Submitted by Bribaba a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2010

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Very difficult to shift up. Whenever 'difficult' terrain appears it slips down like it has a mind of its own. The SRAM rear X( has its problems, too, but nothing like this.

Bottom Line:
A waste of time and money. They should do testing using everyday riders that don't want to spend hours on set-up, and even then...

I've had a couple of different mechanics try and sort this without success.

Favorite Trail:   Epping Forest

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   XT

Bike Setup:   Boardman team Pro. Hope disc brakes, DT rims, RockShox Reba SL,

Submitted by Andy N a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2009

Strengths:    Well, it does work...

Weaknesses:    But it rubs in too many gears and is too hard to shift up

Bottom Line:
This came with the bike, and I've had several goes at trying to sort it out. I've reached the same conclusion as other reviewers, it's just far too fiddly to set up well and it rubs in too many of the gears. My other bike, with a deore mech and the same amount of gears, doesn't have any rub on any of the three cogs and it's certainly not set up to unreachably minute perfection, like SRAM components seem to need (my x9 rear mech is also v fussy). Also, why make it so difficult to shift up the chainrings? I recently dislocated my thumb and could still change up with my deore mech but not the x7.To be fair, it does actually work and I think any bike with more than 21 gears is fiddly to set up well. But the x7 just doesn't seem well-engineered, and it makes 27 speed drivetrains seem self-defeating if you can't use all the gears on them without scraping the oil off your chain. If shimano can do it then sram should, if they want to live up to the hype, be able to do it better - or charge less for their stuff.

Big thanks to mtbr - fantastic site, lots of really great input from users

Favorite Trail:   Puncture Alley, Morzine

Similar Products Used:   deore

Bike Setup:   revolution triad 1.0 (2008) with what comes on the bike

Submitted by Oregonism a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2009

Strengths:    Difficult to tune the first time out (first time tuning one). Once tuned, it works very well, shifts quickly and easily with little noise. I'm using a GXP bottom bracket and it's fine. No chainline issues.

Weaknesses:    I have about 100 miles on it so far, no problems other then the occasional adjustment, but I think I have it perfect.

Bottom Line:
This derailleur works perfectly for me, shifts very quickly even into the big ring. I've only had it on for about 2 weeks so far, but haven't had any issues. Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   All of em

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Deore on my old Jamis

Bike Setup:   BMC trailfox, SRAM drivetrain

Submitted by mtnbiker72 a Weekend Warrior from Rainier, OR

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2009

Strengths:    Works good with a 48.5mm chainline

Weaknesses:    Doesn't work with a 51mm chainline...which is a SRAM crankset (Truvativ FireX GXP)

Bottom Line:
With the stock Truvativ Powerspline crankset and a 48.5mm chainline this derailleur works just fine. However, when I installed a Truvativ FireX GXP with a 51mm chainline...it did not work correctly. I am a former bike wrench with 8 years of experience so I have lots of tuning tricks for front derailleurs. But nothing worked on this, setting the correct cable tension in the middle ring resulted in excessive cable slack in the granny ring. The solution was replacing it with a Deore front derailleur which work perfect with the 51mm chainline.

When I have a SRAM front derailleur and a SRAM crankset...I expect them to play nice together.

Favorite Trail:   Stella

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   X-Gen, Deore, LX, XT

Bike Setup:   Windsor Cliff 29er Pro with lots of mods

Submitted by gus13 a Cross Country Rider from Mt. Juliet TN

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2008

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    Broke in half mid commute 2nd time I shifted from middle chain ring to outer chain ring. The rubber shim is too soft and gives to much flex, and the clamp is made of low grade cast aluminum.

Bottom Line:
Junk!

Favorite Trail:   Bryant Mill

Purchased At:   ebay store

Similar Products Used:   Shamino

Bike Setup:   Leader Frame, Truvativ crank set, Mavic cross ride wheel sets, x-7 shifters and deraileurs.

Submitted by Ronald a Racer from Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2008

Strengths:    Nice beefy design. Strong and reliable when shifting. Does a better job compared to Shimano's LX and XT.

Weaknesses:    None that i can think of.

Bottom Line:
As an experienced XC and Downhill racer, I tried this product for the sake of curiosity and to my amaze this thing is better than my pdrevious Shimano LX and XT. I dont know why other comments here give it bad chillies.

I would really recommend this product.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano LX and XT

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Nomad, Rock Shox, SRAM Comps, Panaracer tires, some Race Face and FSA, DT Swiss Wheelset.

Submitted by Matt from Cheltenham

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2007

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Weak cage, poor pinch bolt position,

Bottom Line:
Not long after fitting this, the cage becane very loose resulting in poor shifting. If you can afford this, you may as well buy the shimano equivilent. I replaced this with thte hone f/mech and havn't looked back. Its stronger, and far easier to adjust as i found i had to remove my back tyre to adjust the x7 as a reult of the position of the pinch bolt

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Hone, Alvio

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche, RS Revelation forks, juicy 7s

Submitted by Nick Price a Weekend Warrior from Birmingham, UK

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2006

Strengths:    Price, looks

Weaknesses:    even the low mount top swing model doesnt have enough clearance to fit alot of FS frames, namley, my giant trance

Bottom Line:
not what i was hoiping for when i orderd it, the mech is hooked up to an x7 shifter, shifting a standard 22/32/44 set of race face deus rings - shifting IS good, but the action is heavier then with the deore mech preveously used, overall shifting doesnt feel as refined.

also dissappointed due to the mech originally being orderd for my giant trance, but finding out it wouldnt fit, i had to order an xt top swing instead.

to be honest the x7 front mech performs no better then the budget x-gen front mech, its just a little lighter.

3 out of 3, funtional but not refined.

Favorite Trail:   Coed-ye-brennin

Purchased At:   Halfords

Similar Products Used:   Deore, XT

Bike Setup:   mech is fitted to a kinesis maxlight xc hardtail

Submitted by JJ a Cross Country Rider from Canyon Lake, TX

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2006

Strengths:    It's not Shimano. First SRAM try at a low-clamp design..

Weaknesses:    Cage rubs in higher gears on small chainring, lower gears in big chainring.

Bottom Line:
It works better than the XT I had on there. I swapped the XT out on the first notice that SRAM started delivery of their low-clamp design starting with the X7 (my bike is finally de-Shimanoed). It's better than the XT, but that's not saying much. Marin full suspension designs require a forgiving front derailleur setup. I was just anticipating the SRAM line of low-clamp design, but was slightly disappointed with the loose, but too small cage design... Still better than XT though, even though X7 is more of an Alivio equivalent. Maybe the XO low-clamp design will be better.

Favorite Trail:   Madrone

Purchased At:   Beyond Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Shame-ano XT,XTR,etc

Bike Setup:   Marin Attack Trail

Submitted by Sam a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2006

Strengths:    Good, strong construction, good spring, works with top and bottom pull

Weaknesses:    I cant get it to adjust perfectly... its always wanting to rub on the chain in top gear... when i go 2 tighten the cable, it wont go down into second... possible design flaw or mabye just me.
The main clasp that goes around the frame has to be tightened rediculously tight so the whole thing doesnt twist and move..

Bottom Line:
better than deore but mabye worth waiting till sram sorts out the range problem

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Alvio + Deore

Bike Setup:   Scott Reflex 30 w/ Sram X7 drivetrain

Submitted by JA Melo a Cross Country Rider from San Juan Philippines

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2005

Strengths:    beefy links, strong spring

Weaknesses:    design flaw causes rubbing in too many gears - not enough clearance or range?

Bottom Line:
This is for the x-gen front derailleur.

Seemed like a strong product with beefier links than shimano and a strong spring.

However, the chain rubs the inner cage in too many gears. On the middle chainring, I can't use the 2 lowest gears (largest rear cogs). AT THE SAME TIME, while on the large chainring, I can't use the 3 highest gears (smallest rear cogs). ( I'm using x7 triggers btw). I look stupid trying to pedal a too low gear while on fast flats, and then I burn myself out with a too tall gear when trying to blast up a hill. I never had these problems even with my old Shimano.

I have tried everything, even filing the inner sides of the cage. Several bike wrenches have given up trying various setups and FD positions.

Beign a fairly new product, I don't know if this is a design flaw. But i've heard some people in the SRAM forum here complain about the same thing. Some have gotten it to work but with a lot of work. But why bother when you can get a different brand which you can set up once and will work properly.

My advice, Wait for SRAM to rectify this problem before you buy.

Favorite Trail:   Maarat