SRAM X7 9-Speed Rear Derailleur

3.79/5 (87 Reviews)

The X.7 has a beefy, spacious alloy construction intentionally designed for superb mud clearance from springs and pivots. 1:1 actuation ratio requires less shifting effort from rider. Limit screws face forward for easier adjustments. Compatible with all

Submitted by Terence a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2014

Strengths:    The SRAM X7 Rear Derailleur came stock on my 29er and so far it has worked flawlessly. I have ridden thousands of kilometres on this derailleur and it has only needed to be adjusted three times - each time a few flicks of the barrel adjuster has been enough to fix any wandering or skipping that works its way in, and it has kept the chain tight and properly in gear even while bouncing off logs, getting air, or switching gears over trail ruts. Its performance for the price is simply outstanding to me: it is a really good budget derailleur that does the trick nicely for a variety of riders. I have heard it has durability problems from other reviewers, but I have smacked it really hard during wipeouts expecting it to break, and so far it has not (despite some cosmetic dings here and there). It shifts relatively smoothly and keeps you going fast. All I can really ask for.

Weaknesses:    I have ridden smoother shifting rear derailleurs than this (Shimano Alivio, Shimano Deore), and the cogs are plastic, which makes me wonder how long they will last given my intensive usage. The carbon fibre bling is nice, but I would have preferred metal or alloy cogs instead. Ahh well.

Bottom Line:
This derailleur is a good low maintenance rear mech with good shifting quality, good body strength, and budget price meant to attract entry level mountain goers like myself. It has performed excellently and given the price, there is not really much more I could need. Yea it is probably "heavy" to some. Yea the cogs are plastic. Yea it is not the smoothest shift I have ever had. But at the end of the day, when I finish my ride with no missed or skipped shifts, have to do a maximum of 1 adjustment per month (again, just with the barrel adjuster), and don't have to worry that the wipeout I just experienced has cracked it or anything of the like because it can take a little beating, I can just walk inside and have a cold one confident in its abilities.

4 Chillis Overall because I think anyone could enjoy this derailleur at a cheap entry price, as long as you just stick to XC and Single Track Rides. If your doing Downhill or Enduro or anything super intense, I would recommend buying something without plastic cogs...but you already knew that didn't you?

4 Chillis for Value because hey, its extremely affordable for the poor cyclists like me that would rather spend their money on booze, and although not performing flawlessly, does a pretty admirable job.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano entry level stuff (Alivio, Deore, etc.)
SRAM X5

Bike Setup:   2013 Giant Talon 29er 0 - Stock

Submitted by Jim

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2013

Strengths:    Seems to work OK.

Weaknesses:    Compatible with 2 -TWO!- Freaking shifters?!?!?

Bottom Line:
Just brought home my '14 Mukluk 3 equipped with the X7 group. Only reason I give it two chili's is I was dumb enough not to do--enough--research, and it works so far. Amazing: the lengths that QBP's bike companies go to make their frames so damn versatile only to stick this proprietary POS on their complete bikes. Specifically, I thought I'd give the flat bar a couple months to see if I could get used to it, that thought lasted two days. Good thing I was looking for shifters before ordering a midge, otherwise the midge would already be on it's way. Turns out you have two style options to shift this thing: trigger style, or twist style, and those options are only available in a 7/8 clamp!! No thumbies, no bar-ends, no brifters, no anything you can use paul thumbie adaptors for, no nothing. So now I've got to either mod something or buy a Shimano RD. I understand I may be in a niche predicament, but its possible some will find irritations with this setup in other instances...

Submitted by Rachel

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2012

Strengths:    Came with my 29er, awesome for the price.

Weaknesses:    The mounting bracket snapped completely off, got lodge in my spokes during a ride and through me off my bike.

Bottom Line:
I will not be replacing it with the same one, thats for sure... looking into the X0 instead. I guess you get what you pay for? yep.

Submitted by jmtbiker

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2012

Strengths:    shifts well when still in 1 piece

Weaknesses:    poor quality, cage is half plastic, chain wheels break very easily.

Bottom Line:
Only use because they were OEM on my 2011 Trek Fuel EX 7, would choose Shimano in the future.

Submitted by apbyte a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2012

Strengths:    Good price, strong, nice cable routing, 1:1 shifting, works very well on bumpy terrain and doesnt make much sound

Weaknesses:    havent seen any

Bottom Line:
I use it on very bumpy forest roads/tracks, works great and I love it because it is also affordable for my budget

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Alivio

Bike Setup:   XC transitioning to AM

Submitted by wschruba

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    Ease of installation, cable routing

Weaknesses:    play at derailler mount

Bottom Line:
This derailler was a pleasure to set up on the bike, and allowed me to shave off a few inches (and degrees) off my cable housing leading into the derailler, which, in turn, allowed to easier shifts.

The derailler, once mounted to specifications, still had a shocking amount of play. Once, however, the rest of the drive train was in place, it wound up being inconsequential, and indexing/shifting was flawless with some adjustment of cable tension.

My first impressions after riding it on three separate occasions are optimistic.

Submitted by StabMasta a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2012

Strengths:    Looks cool and somewhat cheap

Weaknesses:    Lots of play, shifter sticks, no barrel adjuster

Bottom Line:
I bought (2) 2011 medium cage X7's to replace my beat to crap X9 and another for my son's bike. After I installed the new rear derailleurs, I immediately noticed a great deal of play and it was hard to dial them in due to the movement. On the trail, my rear shifter is locking in the lower gears and it's becoming a real pain in the ass. I'm switching to Shimano once my credit card recovers from the damage of my last builds. Until then, I have to suffer with the Srap x7.

Favorite Trail:   National

Sram components
BWW wheels

Submitted by HTR4EVR a Cross Country Rider from Gridley, CA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2012

Strengths:    Still thinking about it....

Weaknesses:    Too tight, hard to get it in line with the cassette. Obviously is unaligned out of the box.

Bottom Line:
Totally disappointed. Product won't get in line and Price Point won't take your complaint unless you are a certify technician what makes their shopping safely advertisement totally bogus. Be careful. Read carefully the bad reviews here before you buy sram because they are true. I'm already moving away from SRAM and affording the loss. DO NOT BUY IT. If you want to upgrade your Deore system move up along their line.

Favorite Trail:   North Rim & Midddle Trail

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   My first and last...

Bike Setup:   Motobecane custom made...

Submitted by David C a Weekend Warrior from Montreal, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap, good look, strong, easy to service, durable, quality finish, not too heavy, good shifting.

Weaknesses:    None, nada, nevar, zero

Bottom Line:
I have 2 X-7. A 2009 9 spd long cage in silver body, black cage and a 2011 9 spd med cage in Storm Grey finish, alu cage.

The long cage has performed flawless on both bikes, precise shifting, easy and quick to adjust, nice cable routing after the clamp on this model year, easy to service the full assembly and shift nice even on uphills and multi upshifts at the same time. I use X-4 shifters with it and work great. Now imagine how good it would feel with X0 shifters xD

The med cage has a very nice grey finish and same flawless performance has the other one. I use it on my FR bike and I can't complain at all. Used with SX-4 shifters right now.

The X-7 rd line is just great. very affordable and amazing performance. Rd's are expendables parts, so why invest into a more expensive rd simply to save a few grams ? Get better shifters and you're set. I never had a single problem with them and only needed cable stretch adjust once simply by using the shifter's barrel adjuster.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore LX, SRAM SX-5

Bike Setup:   Trail bike and a FR bike

Submitted by idunno a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR, youknowwhatcountry

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap, reliable, shifts how it's supposed to.

Weaknesses:    Nope

Bottom Line:
Spend your money on a nice cassette and chain and get the X7 10 speed derailleur/shifter combo. I've been running it for 8 months and it has been flawless. It's starting to shift a tiny bit slower in a couple of gears, but considering it hasn't had a tune-up (ever) I'm very impressed. If you asked me to pay nearly $200 more for X0, you'd better be able to sell stink to pile of... Doodoo. That's enough for a Thomson stem and seatpost.

Favorite Trail:   nothing near portland

Purchased At:   fat tire farm(best s

Similar Products Used:   X-everything

Bike Setup:   all these reviews seem to be about the 9 speed model of this derailleur, I'm running the 1x10 with a 38 tooth chainring with chainguide, X-7 shifter, X0 cassette and KMC 10X-SL chain.

Submitted by Pollution Warrior a Weekend Warrior from Taiyuan, China

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2011

Strengths:    Seems to work.

Weaknesses:    Pot-metal mounting screw

Bottom Line:
Not impressed. We were putting together a brand new bike with all new stuff. The hex head on the RD mount screw stripped out. I'm not even sure if I had it tight enough. Hardware is a bad place to use aluminum (or probably some kind of cheap pot-metal). Now he'll have to replace the hangar if he wants to change the derailleur. I have a Shimano Deore on my 9 speed and it's way better. No issues.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Tourney, Deore, Alivio, and lower end Shimano

Bike Setup:   Merida Duke with 9-speed

Submitted by Don a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought a sram X7 rear mech a couple of weeks ago and found that it locks out in first gear. I found that it will shift into 2nd by slamming the back wheel down while pressing the shifter. The rest of the gear range works fine. Has anybody else had this problem?

Submitted by Cdale4754 a Cross Country Rider from Oakridge,Oregon.USA

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2010

Strengths:    If SRAM fixes the defect it would be a great product.

Weaknesses:    Will only shift through six or seven of the nine cogs because the derailleur doesn't move freely. Rivets or bushings are too tight.

Bottom Line:
I purchased two X.7 rear derailleurs last week, both are bad.
I called SRAM and they said they knew about the problem but didn't say what they were doing about it.(evidently nothing because I got two 8/29/10 and the You Tube clip is a few months old.) SRAM Customer service was of no help getting my problem resolved so it's back to Price Point and hope that I don't get two more bad X.7's. Evidently, hundreds, maybe thousands of bad X.7 & X.9 derailleurs have been sold or are waiting to be sold. You Tube has a clip showing a sticky X.9.

Favorite Trail:   Ridgeline

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, LX and XT.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F900 with Headshock.

Submitted by scblur a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2010

Strengths:    nice pulleys

Weaknesses:    not smooth, unpredictable

Bottom Line:
I found this derailleur to be unusable. Once you have bought into their shifter derailleur combo, you will be stuck, take the loss and go back to the better brand. I have no interest in either brand, but 32 years of experience with Shimano has shown me they know something sram does not. I have never had such problems with Shimano, not one in 32 years. Perhaps other componentry is ok, but their rear X.7 deraileur is crap.

Favorite Trail:   Hartwood