SRAM X.0 Rear 10-Speed Derailleur

4.26/5 (172 Reviews)

With a potent mix of high-grade materials, including a forged aluminum body, titanium spring, and reinforced carbon composite pulley cages, the Sram X0 is a pro-ready, 10-speed rear derailleur that's lighter, stiffer, smoother and flat-out better looking than anything out there.

Submitted by Paul

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2012

Strengths:    Looked nice while it lasted

Weaknesses:    Very brittle broke for no apparent reason

Bottom Line:
Very dissappointed with this product and SRAMS warranty. My X0 broke without warning after very little use. It was sent back to SRAM as a warranty claim but I was told it was down to wear and tear!!! I ended up fitting an X9 as a replacement which has been superb so far

Submitted by sbcjac

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2012

Strengths:    Shifts smooth until it breaks

Weaknesses:    Breaks easily and for no apparent reason.

Bottom Line:
I got the X.0 long cage on a 2x10 stock with my bike, which is made-up of X.0 and X.9 components. About 150 miles into use, the cage, which is carbon, snapped off on a mid-filled ride. I figured I must have sunk down enough to have dragged the cage on some rocks. Assuming it was my fault, I bought a replacement X.0. It was fine for about 400 miles of x-country trails. I wound-up on a pretty rocky climb and the thing snapped again. This time, I found someones 2mm thick helmet-cushine wrapped in one of the pullies of the cage. That was enough to snap it. What a piece of junk. I am going down to the X.9 and sticking with steel components this time.

Submitted by afullsodacan a Cross Country Rider from Orlando, FL, US

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2012

Strengths:    Precise shifting, quick, doesn't hesitate (unless horribly adjusted). Lightweight

Weaknesses:    hex bolt that attaches it to the derailleur hanger seems a bit weak as the head of it is somewhat stripped

Bottom Line:
First of all, I actually have the older 9 speed version. This is by far the nicest derailleur I have ever owned. It came on a my Giant that I got on Craigslist for a REALLY good deal. It works great. It shifts smoothly, precisely, and quickly when adjusted properly. It shifts how I want it to when I want it to, nuff said. I hardly ever seem to have trouble with it throwing a chain or misshifting, unless I really take a hard hit. If you can dish out the cash (or luck out and get it on a bike as an added bonus like me) I would say definitely get it. You should not be disappointed. It shifts like a dream. I give it 4 chilis for value because it seems overly expensive, although, I guess it is worth it.

Favorite Trail:   Carter Road, Lakeland, FL

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   SRAM X4 derailleur

Bike Setup:   2005 Giant NRS C2, Fox Float 80 RL fork, Fox Float R, Easton EA70 Monkeybar, FSA 110mm stem, Avid Juicy 7's, Avid 160 rotors, a rigged 2x9 drivetrain, SRAM X0 rear derailleur, SRAM X7 shifters, Shimano Deore LX front derailleur, SRAM PG-980 cassette, Raceface Deus XC cranks, Crankbrothers Eggbeaters 1 pedals, Mavic 317 wheels, Kenda Nevegals 26x2.1

Submitted by ehigh a Downhiller from SLO

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2011

Strengths:    My model is the 2011 Sram-Truvativ X0 rear derailleur. I believe the one in the picture is a 2010. I have heard that the 2011 is stronger in some aspects compared to the 2010. Anyways, on with my review

At first, I was skeptical with this derailleur. I decided to pick up the entire X0 drivetrain. The only regret I have is that it may have been smarter to save some money at the expense of about 30 grams by getting the X9 R/D, which is the same X-glide technology with just a few heavier parts.
Oh well, this one has been holding up spectacularly. I will make sure to update this upon any problems.

I am not a DH rider, but I'm not XC or a "weekend warrior" (whatever that is)
I do a lot of all mountain riding and some light freeride. I'm hear on Vancouver Island right now and it has been on my bike for some large drops, jumps, and gaps. It seems like some of the peole talking down on this R/D are making phony reviews simply to spite the R/D for whatever reason because some of it sounds like complete crap. You can't expe t a derailleur to take a full smack to a rock without breaking the cage, so no this isn't indestructible. It has taken some good crashes, that is for sure!

(wonders about people who have made weird complaints on this R/D)

Weaknesses:    I want to be overly critical with this piece because of how expensive it is... but I believe that most of the problems people encounter with this R/D are based on people not installing it properly. This derailleur handles amazingly and shifts great. I'll update any problems.

Bottom Line:
Great derailleur, unless you really want the entire X0 name or really care for the 30 grams saved, I would probably recommend X9 to most people.

I give is 4 stars for value rating because it is very expensive and only 30 grams lighter than the X9 R/D. X9 is essentially the same derailleur, just a few differences here and there that ultimately result in a more durable R/D.

5 overall rating because it does rock and is is a 'sexy' R/D

Favorite Trail:   Toxic Tea Cup

Similar Products Used:   X7, Deore

Bike Setup:   Norco Range 3 with ODI Rogue grips, Straitline pedals, full X0 drivetrain (love the shifters too), Specialized Phenom seat, 2.35 and 2.5 Kenda Nevegal tires, WTB Laserdisc Freeride front and Loco rear wheels

Submitted by Blackbeerthepirate a Weekend Warrior from Key Largo

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2011

Strengths:    Light, crisp shifts, easy adjustments, chicks dig it.

Weaknesses:    That carbon scares me.

Bottom Line:
Shifts are quicker than a greased rabbit out of a teflon hat. Easy to adjust. My wife thinks it's pretty. I've had nothing but good luck so far with this thing. I've smacked it a couple of times, once really good, and no problems.

Favorite Trail:   Bar to bar Key West/Markham

Purchased At:   E-bay

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR, 105, Ultegra

Bike Setup:   00 Schwinn Homegrown; XO twisters, XO front & back derailleurs,

Submitted by Kaytee a Cross Country Rider from Durango, Co, USA

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2011

Strengths:    Looks good, light weight

Weaknesses:    Broke in less than 6 miles.

Bottom Line:
I previously used the X.7 on my old Santa Cruz Blur and liked it very much. Shifted well and consistently. When I decided to trick out a new bike I thought the X.0 might be a good choice for derailleurs. I was 6 miles into a 12 mile ride..first ride on the bike, I might add..when the rear derailleur just gave up. It seemed like the spring that keeps the pulley cage taut broke. I shortened the chain and turned my new bike into a single speed to limp out. Went to the X.9 and so far it works like a charm. Shifts criply. I read some reviews afterwards on the X.0 and I don't think I'm the first one to have it fall apart.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail

Purchased At:   Wrench Science

Similar Products Used:   X.7, XTR, X.9

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo SL, Fox RLC Fit, Magura Marta brakes, Chris King BB, hubs and Cane Creek headset, Mavic X717 rims, X.9 shifters

Submitted by dartingd a Racer from Georgia, USA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2011

Strengths:    Shifts quick, very responsive. I never had shifting issues with it.

Weaknesses:    I really wanted this to work, as my SRAM road stuff broke so much I just ended up going Shimano. I've had the full SRAM X0 2x10 group for about 3 months now, and yesterday the pivot where the upper pulley is broke somehow. Pretty much shows me SRAM makes junk period nowadays. I'm going to get a price on XTR today...

Bottom Line:
I'm going to find out what the issue is today. If it's minor, I'll keep the X0. If it is in fact broke due to defect, I'll be getting some XTR this week.

Favorite Trail:   Lady Slipper

Similar Products Used:   SLX/XT 3x10

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem 29er w/ Forumla "The One" brakeset and X0 2x10. Stan's Crest 29er wheelset

Submitted by TatiBear a Racer from North Georgia

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2011

Strengths:    Light, Quick

Weaknesses:    XC and light AM only, don't bang this on rocks.

Bottom Line:
Shifts are quick and crisp. I know folks love XX, but this is good stuff, too. It feels like Sram Red for MTB. It held up fine under race conditions. It's worth the money.

Favorite Trail:   Chicopee

Purchased At:   ChainLove

Similar Products Used:   X.0 9sp, XT 9sp, XTR 9sp

Bike Setup:   Fisher Hifi Plus redone X.0 and X.9, Avid Elixir CR 160 f/r

Submitted by judog44 a Weekend Warrior from Vacaville, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2011

Strengths:    The 1 to 1 ratio has a smooth feel.

Weaknesses:    Not very strong. Expensive. Design makes it hard to remove the rear wheel on the go. Not much lighter then XT (which is much cheaper) and not nearly as dependable.

Bottom Line:
This derailleur seemed great at first. I was impressed with the smooth shifting. After using it a bit on the trails and giving it a little thrashing i have come to the conclusion that it sucks compared to the XT shadow rear derailleur i use on all my other bikes. It is frustrating to remove the rear wheel to say the least (not an issue at all with XT) mostly because i know how easy it is to remove the wheel on my bikes that have the XT derailleur. After a couple falls the derailleur started not shifting accurately, seems maybe the hanger bent, which i have corrected, but i just do not have confidence in the part at all anymore. My XT shadow derailleurs have been through the same and never any issues. XT Shadow is just so much better, there is a reason Shimano parts weigh a little more, its called durability.

Favorite Trail:   rockville

Purchased At:   jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT Shadow.

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Teocali Super with XT Brakes, X0 Shifters, Marzocchi 44 RC3 Ti fork, RP23 rear shock, XT cassette, XTR front derailleur, Noir Crankset, Thompson stem and seatpost.

Submitted by dj_mip a Downhiller from Bournemouth, Dorset, UK

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2011

Strengths:    Very light. Super tight gear changes. huge amount of spring tension with titanium spring

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This is the best deraileur i have used yet i had a sram x9 for about 2 years before this and find sram so much better than shimano. I did not think it would make much difference going from x9 to x0 but the x0 deraileur changes so much crisper and never slips due to titanium spring. I have upgraded the jockey wheels to alloy kncd wheels originals are not brilliant. A bit pricey but worth it

Favorite Trail:   Canford Cliffs

Similar Products Used:   Sram x9, Sram x7, Sram x5, Shimano deore/xt

Bike Setup:   GT xcr-3000/i-drive (5' travel), Bomber triple clamp 2001 jnr-t , Sram x0 gearing, Mavic 521 rims with FUNN sealed hubs

Submitted by InduRay a Weekend Warrior from Jacksonville, Florida

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2010

Strengths:    Snappy Shiftting

Weaknesses:    Weak cage, Pricey replacement

Bottom Line:
After three runs with this bike. The derailleur came apart for no reason. The came came undone wrapping the shifter cable around the gears (Cogset). Broke the hanger, and the cage to smitherins. I didn't crash or abuse the bike. The bike shifted smoothly giving no indication of the pending catastrophe. In all my years riding bikes I have NEVER experienced a broke cage. I am afraid of replacing the cage again and experience the same damage!

Favorite Trail:   San Felasco, Hanna, Oletta Park

Purchased At:   Craiglist

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT

Bike Setup:   Titus RacerX 29er

Submitted by jwins49 a Weekend Warrior from Anaheim, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2010

Strengths:    So quick and so precise, great looking. Easy adjustments. The best rear derailleur I have ever used.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
the best product sram makes, hands down. Never a problem or complaint, quick and precise shifting even grinding uphill, and I weigh 225, still never a problem.

Favorite Trail:   many

Purchased At:   online frame only

Similar Products Used:   Shimano xt and xtr, wont go back to shimano for a rear derailleur any time soon.

Bike Setup:   Turner sultan xl raw dw link

Submitted by grifrowl a Downhiller from Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2010

Strengths:    Perfect Shifts. High Tolerance means better shifting even with worn cable housing.

Weaknesses:    Sticks out further then Shimano shadow derailleurs.

Bottom Line:
Awesome derailleur. I have the Short cage on a 1*10 drive train, it's taken a few hits and no shattered cages yet, but I think most of the other people reviewing had the long cage, which is a different story. X.9 is probably a better value; these are kind of expensive, they both shift really well.

Submitted by jemartin@alarm.com a Racer from Oakton, VA

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2010

Strengths:    Crips shifting. Looks. SRAM stands behind product.

Weaknesses:    Carbon cage breaks easily

Bottom Line:
Nice looking part. Will shift as well or better than my old XTR, but SRAM should stay away from using carbon cages. It saves a few grams I'm sure, and it looks good, but it can break easily. Mine did after 1 month of riding with it and left me stranded. I think the chain fell off the crank in rough terrain and caught the small tab at the bottom of the carbon arm of the cage. The cage snapped in half. This being said, SRAM replaced the derailleur quickly and at no charge. Great support.

Favorite Trail:   Difficult Run

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT.

Bike Setup:   29er hardtail

Submitted by casnell a Racer from Australia

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2010

Strengths:    Light, strong, crisp

Weaknesses:    none!

Bottom Line:
Had beautiful crisp shifting for 9 months, then the other day I put a 2" stick through the rear - broke the hanger, broke 2 spokes, and the derailleur was fine. made a huge bang and was very exciting but changed the hanger and the RD still shifted perfectly. Had to ride home with the rear wheel wobbling but that was the only problem. Strong RD !

Purchased At:   Chain reaction