SRAM ESP 9.0 SL Rear Derailleur Derailleur

4.04/5 (151 Reviews)

SRAM ESP 9.0 SL Rear Derailleur (for use with SRAM 9.0SL Shifters only)

Submitted by Dirk Slope a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2006

Strengths:    1:1 ratio gives Strong, solid, secure shifts. Light. Swanky looking. Never needed adjusting. Ability to change to any gear in nearly no time at all.

Weaknesses:    You need gloves as the fairly stiff (but solid) action requires some gripping of the gripshift. Was not the cheapest, but happy to pay for performance and realiability, low weight, design, etc.

Bottom Line:
Ok, as you might have guessed I'm cheap, I don't buy stuff just to lose a few grams or anything, my old LX had some serious slop in it after years of hard use and the old thumb shifters were not what I wanted, so I finally (years ago) broke down and was so fed up I ponied up some serious money for top end SRAM and replaced the whole deal... and...holy cow, words cannot describe the wholesale improvement in the drivetrain. Was living on east coast where tight, thickly wooded, techical trails are the norm, and this setup ruled. I could be cruising down a new trail and come around a blind corner and see a steep hill - and instead of stumbling like I would have with a lesser setup, I just twisted the grip to the stop and simulatiously went to granny gear and volia! I was in my hillclimb gear and going up before you could blink an eye. I have had this thing on my bike what seems like forever (its 7 speed) and its still fresh and shifts with rugged precision.

I can't belive the number of people who say "my X shifter worked great until I had a wreck and it broke, what a POS" I mean get real. I've wrecked my bike so many times its not even funny, my frame has chips and dents all over it and I've never had to touch my ESP 9.0s - even to adjust. I'm buying another soon for a 9 speed bike.

Favorite Trail:   Poison Spider, Moab UT

Purchased At:   on-line

Similar Products Used:   Sh*tmano LX, XT

Bike Setup:   '93 Cannondale Super V w/headshock, SRAM ESP 9.0s and grip shifters, Avid SD brakes & ultimate levers, varioius other parts as stuff wore out or broke.

Submitted by Michael Riehl a Weekend Warrior from Yakima, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2005

Strengths:    Works flawlessly

Weaknesses:    None that I know of.

Bottom Line:
I have enjoyed this derailleur but want to upgrade to a 9 spd set up. Has anyone had any experience? Can I still use with trigger shifters?

Favorite Trail:   Lewis River

Purchased At:   Came on the used Jamis I bought on ebay.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar Pro. Maitou Xvert. Race Face.

Submitted by r f a Racer from miami fl

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2005

Strengths:    flimsy crap

Weaknesses:    flimsy crap indeed

Bottom Line:
outrageous

Favorite Trail:   happy trails

Purchased At:   big wheel

Bike Setup:   max

Submitted by Pat a Cross Country Rider from Hilo, HI, USA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2003

Strengths:    Precise smooth shifts. Excellent customer service. Innovative company.

Weaknesses:    Durability...breaks too easily.

Bottom Line:
I've been a satisfied user of GripShift and SRAM systems for a few years, and I continue to prefer them over the competition. However, they are not indestructible. In the past three years I've gone through three 9.0 SLs and recently a 7.0 due to picking up sticks on my local trails. In all fairness to SRAM, in all but one case I don't think Shimano derailleurs would have faired much better.

One of the reasons I continue to use SRAM is their excellent customer service. After the second 9.0 failed I sent it via my LBS to SRAM and had a replacement which featured more metal in a week, with no hassles. I am looking forward to trying the X9 which looks to have more metal.

Favorite Trail:   Kulani

Purchased At:   LBS and from SRAM

Similar Products Used:   7.0, XT

Bike Setup:   Titus Switchblade, Manitou Black Comp, XT cranks, SRAM shorty shifters, Magura Louise, Thompson stem & seatpost

Submitted by Dave Mullins a Cross Country Rider from Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2003

Strengths:    Well, after my last review (David from Carpinteria, CA, yeah, I know I am only supposed to review once, but they replaced it with a new one and I think that is really worth mentioning) I contacted SRAM and took it to a dealer for repair, and somehow ended up with a new X.9!!! Metal knuckle. Shouldn't break. What service!!! Once again, I can say, I love EVERYTHING about SRAM shift systems. Fast, accurate shifts from high to low and back as fast as you can twist the shifter.

Weaknesses:    Not the best fit on 7 speed casettes.

Bottom Line:
BUY SRAM!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Hot Springs Trail

Purchased At:   Replaced by SRAM!!!

Similar Products Used:   A SRAM fan all of my days!

Bike Setup:   Rockhopper, SRAM shift systems

Submitted by John "Schwinnski" a Weekend Warrior from Norman, Oklahoma

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2003

Strengths:    Strong and light

Bottom Line:
My rear derailleur is 4 years old and still shifting like a champ. I have had friends break their new white ones but the carbon fiber older ones are nails. When it goes, I will go X.0.

-Out-

Favorite Trail:   NuDraper

Purchased At:   Al's

Similar Products Used:   XI- But how similar is is that?

Bike Setup:   PC-68, 9.0 sl R/D, 9/0 F/D, 8 speed 9.0 shifters.

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Mill Valley, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2003

Strengths:    Light. Looks alright, I guess.

Weaknesses:    Jeez ! I thought I was the only one ! Mine broke too. I was peddling up hill. The thing just snapped. And I'm stuck with the shifters too. I'll probably just break the next one, then refer the manufacturer to this site for a full refund. What a piece of crap !

Bottom Line:
Don't buy one unless you bike like a pansy...

Purchased At:   Airbomb

Bike Setup:   Azonic Frame, massive rims and tires, Tioga seat, all chrome baby ! Just like the new $4,000 jobs, they all wanna be like me !

Submitted by David Mullins a Cross Country Rider from Carpinteria, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2003

Strengths:    Works great

Weaknesses:    It broke. It just broke. A clean break, all at once, while going uphill. I had been having problems since I put on a new SRAM chain with the chain skipping teeth. This day, it was skipping a lot in all gears but low. I finally got it adjusted to work pretty well. First, the chain came off of the front low gear sprocket. I put it back on, and then the chain broke. While I was lamenting that I hadn't brought my spare PowerLink, I noticed the derailleur wrapped up in the rear spokes! The plastic body broke with a clean fracture, probably due to or the cause of the chain breaking. The break showed no signs of dirt or coloration that would indicate that the crack had been forming for a while.

When I got it, I remember thinking, "Wow, that's only plastic! Well, Sram is supposed to be the best, so surely, they know it will hold up!" NOT!

Bottom Line:
What can I do? I will have to switch out my shifters to go to that other derailleur made by the fishing gear company. It has been a good working derailleur. I have a friend who can make a body out of aluminum...

Favorite Trail:   McMenemy/Hotsprings

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   Only Sram ESP's

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rock Hopper

Submitted by Lance a Weekend Warrior from Etel France

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2003

Strengths:    Works well in all condition - even when clogged in mud. A perfect shift every time. Remains set if done correctly the first time. Reliable - until it snaps by surprise.

Weaknesses:    Snapped on a sunny dry day - still baffels me how ??? Expensive

Bottom Line:
I ride XC and have done loads of tracks and orienteering. I've used this bike in Irish bogs, stormin' rain, downhill sections, knee high grass and all the rest. I then moved to France - there's less rain here - but mud remains mud.
The 90SL never gave me a hint of trouble, even on a 100 km spin through rivers and over mountain tops. This morning it just snapped - I can't find any marks of impact from anything - not even a stick in the spokes.
The track was dry with bits of technical stuff. Judging by some of the other reviews I can only imagine it was a twig. Even so I've had loads of stuff get into the spokes before.
I'm p*ssed off that it bust for no apparent reason (minus 2 chilli's for that) - but I still think it's a good product. (A bit over priced.)
Who knows, I may think different if the next one does the same…………

Purchased At:   Somewhere in Ireland

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher SuperCaliber with the usual overpriced, but nice bits.

Submitted by Lancaster Minneapolis, MN, USA a Racer from uptown_brian@yahoo.com

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2003

Strengths:    Isn't able to withstand a bullet? or maybe a petrified stick being lunged violently into the gears and expected to not break. Not that any derailleur could.

Weaknesses:    Shimano LX, XT & XTC... all junk though XTC are a close 2nd to SRAM SL 9.0 series

Bottom Line:
Will not race with anything other then these currently. Always looking for the better

Purchased At:   sponsor paid

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Element(Frame),Tioga Factory XC(Tires),Alexrims DM18(Rims),SRAM ESP 9.0 SL(Shifting and Breaking Sets),Avis Bearing Disc(Front Break),RST Mechanical Disc(Rear Disc Break),FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro(Headset),Balistic(Rear Shock), RockShox XC Duke(Front Shock),Titec Hell-Bent Flat-Tracker(Handlebar),Thomas Elite(Seatpost),Time ATAC(Pedals),Truvative FireX(Crankset),Rohloff SLT 99(Cain),True Precision Stealth(Hubs),DT Swiss DT Revolution(Spokes),Salsa(Skewers),Thomson Stem(Stem),Maxxis Flyweight(Tubes)& Cionelli(Saddle)

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2003

Strengths:    works well when it doesn't break

Weaknesses:    It breaks!! i will never buy another. This is my second one and it breaks for no reason.

Bottom Line:
If you are not riding in mud go ahead and buy it. But if you ride in all conditions carry an extra one because it will break.

Favorite Trail:   kenosha pass

Similar Products Used:   shimano xtr

Submitted by Matt a Racer from Chico

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2003

Strengths:    light, shifts well, looks good

Weaknesses:    It breaks and wears out

Bottom Line:
These things break. When I broke the first one I was stuck buying a second sram derailer because they only work with sram shifters. When it broke again sram mearly fixed the derailer rather than give me a new one, and then the thing wore out shortly after that. To ride more and fix less, buy a shimano compatible grip shift with a shimano METAL derailer.

Similar Products Used:   LX, XT, 105, ultegra, durace, suntour

Submitted by Lou Marles a Weekend Warrior from Peterborough, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2002

Strengths:    Easy Setup, stays in adjustment, shifts great.

Weaknesses:    Breaks easily.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my earlier post. My bike came with a SRAM 9.0SL and I had purchased a second 9.0SL as a spare.
The first one broke after almost 2500km of racing/riding. The second one broke after 7km. I contacted SRAM by e-mail and they advised me that they would replace the second derailleur under warranty but I had to work through a bike dealer. I purchase the bike from Bay Cycle in Pickering, Ontario so I contacted them to see if they could help. I sent the derailleurs to Dave at Bay Cycle and they contacted SRAM on my behalf. In less than a week, SRAM replaced BOTH derailleurs with the 9.0 from their 'persuasion' series. These derailleurs use aluminum alloy hangers instead of plastic. They should be stronger. So I am very satisified with SRAM's service and warranty. Thanks SRAM and thanks Dave at Bay Cycle.

Favorite Trail:   Durham Forest, Uxbridge, Ontario

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   XTR, XT

Bike Setup:   2001 KHS Alite 4000, with SRAM brakes, shifters, derailleurs, hubs, Truvativ Stylo SL cranks and rings.

Submitted by Lou Marles a Weekend Warrior from Peterborough, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2002

Strengths:    Great Shifts. Easy setup. Low maintenance. No adjustments required after 2500 kms of riding/racing.

Weaknesses:    Breaks too easily. Pick up a small stick in your rear spokes and the derailleur is toast.

Bottom Line:
The bike came equipped with the Sram components. All worked great for almost two full seasons of cross-country riding and racing. Last weekend the rear derailleur snapped when a stick got tangled in the rear spokes. I had the derailleur replaced with another 9.0SL that I had purchased as a spare. The second derailleur broke the very next day in the same manner, but this time it was during a race. So the first one lasted 2500 kms and the second one lasted about 7 kms. I'm not sure what to think. The first one may have been from a good batch and the second one from a bad batch. Or maybe I was just lucky with the first one. Based on the other reviews here, there have been a lot of broken 9.0SLs. I like the Sram shifters and the way the derailleur works when it's not broken. But I've lost confidence in the 9.0SL. I can't count on it in a race so I may upgrade to the X.0 which has less plastic. The 9.0SL is a great derailleur as long as it isn't stressed. May be best suited to bike path use or casual trail rides. Just keep those sticks out of the rear spokes.

Favorite Trail:   Durham Forest, Uxbridge, ON